Vw experts!

steveo654

steveo654

Looking for any vw golf buffs out there, i know plenty about old fords but im lost here! got a mk4 golf 1.9tdi estate as a round about, after driving it a thought it was strangley fast! Im told there 130 and 150bhp versions of this engine, not sure how to identify it? Cheers guys!

1 hour ago, steveo654 said:

Looking for any vw golf buffs out there, i know plenty about old fords but im lost here! got a mk4 golf 1.9tdi estate as a round about, after driving it a thought it was strangley fast! Im told there 130 and 150bhp versions of this engine, not sure how to identify it? Cheers guys!

Edit: the link I posted didn't help.

There is a site online that will show you from the reg but I can't remember what it is.

Also doesn't help if it's not standard I guess.

Edited by Taffin

steveo654
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Edit: the link I posted didn't help.

There is a site online that will show you from the reg but I can't remember what it is.

Also doesn't help if it's not standard I guess.

I have looked on parkers and a few off these places but cant see, tricky one!

Yeh sorry, I thought I could remember which one it was. I had similar, was trying to find the bhp of my scirocco.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, steveo654 said:

From memory I think you can tell by the TDi badge on the car. How many letters are red?

If it's just the letter i that's red, it's the 130bhp version.

Both the i and D letters are red, it's the higher powered 150bhp version.

Something like that anyway.

steveo654
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

From memory I think you can tell by the TDi badge on the car. How many letters are red?

If it's just the letter i that's red, it's the 130bhp version.

Both the i and D letters are red, it's the higher powered 150bhp version.

Something like that anyway.

I will have a check, just the sort of random thing only a vw fan would know ?

steveo654
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

i think there might be something on your V5 that will give an engine code that if you look here will tell you which bhp

http://***-codes.info/***-engines

Really useful link, thats for posting milky! Aprecciated ?

Watt-Zeefuik
12 hours ago, steveo654 said:

Having just donated my finally no longer functional 19 year old TDI Jetta, I'll just say the TDI engine is really torquey, and picks up off the line much faster than you'd expect given its HP numbers. The US model I had was listed at 90 hp (don't know the bhp offhand) but when it was new it could pop off the line faster than anything but a muscle car without much effort. 

When you got up to highway speeds and stomped on the gas, the HP difference became much more noticeable, but for driving curvy roads and the like it was a great, great driving car.

steveo654
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Having just donated my finally no longer functional 19 year old TDI Jetta, I'll just say the TDI engine is really torquey, and picks up off the line much faster than you'd expect given its HP numbers. The US model I had was listed at 90 hp (don't know the bhp offhand) but when it was new it could pop off the line faster than anything but a muscle car without much effort. 

When you got up to highway speeds and stomped on the gas, the HP difference became much more noticeable, but for driving curvy roads and the like it was a great, great driving car.

It does seem to have a lot of low end grunt, i have had a few quick cars, 330s rs turbos imprezas gt4, this old engine is suprisingly good! A remap or some mild tunning would be interesting ?

IronJambo

Will it maybe show up from the reg number if you went through the motions of selecting your car with an online insurance quote? 

I'd ask a VW dealership if I couldn't find out otherwise.