Bank Charges

BoJack Horseman

He's not wrong. They did win but the ruling hasnt been fully implemented as the banks are appealing.

No. He's wrong. Feel free to look it up.

I'll give you a clue. It's not the kind of case where one side wins and one side loses.

But no court has yet said the charges are unfair.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Professor.Arturo
Whether it's an admin charge or not, it's irrelevant. The funds were unavailable in your account!

Keep banking with Capital Credit Union, though. :laugh:

Did you honestly think that, at a bank with the biggest customer database in the United Kingdom, charges were keyed manually? What a laughable notion.

I will thanks, best move I made.

I notice you never denied its just a rip off fine though

Paulandshark
Working in a branch, i absolutely hate these types of threads.

When you go on holiday, the bank doesn't know you're away. Your account doesn't become frozen temporarily. Get real for God's sake. If a D/D is due to come off and there is no funds then the bank shouldn't have to pay it, especially when 9 times out of 10 it's the banks money anyway (overdrafts).

The amount of people who greet on the phone when they're clearly incapable of managing their accounts is astounding. Instead of going mental at the bank, look in the mirror. The banks constantly offer Reviews and people turn them down so there's no excuse.

Yes, some charges will be deemed excessive and/or unfair and in this case they will often be refunded. Charges are an automatic thing on the system, so go in and have a word with your bank instead of bitching on Kickback.

Great post.

Problem we will have shortly is all Current accounts will be be a charge per month to reclaim the money paid out in 'refunds' to bank charges. :mad:

Walter Payton
Still screwing the wee man robbing bassers

Not sure why I'm even replying to one of Doug's posts with reason, but here goes...

If the banks change the way they charge for accounts because of the forthcoming court judgement (which incidentally they haven't "lost" yet- the last judgement just gave the OFT permission to review bank charges for "fairness") it's the honourable "wee man" who's going to lose out.

Having lived in a country where banks operate a system where they charge you a monthly account handling fee, who charge you for exceeding a pre-arranged number of transactions per month and who charge you for using another banks ATM, I'd take our current system with our "unfair" charges any day. As somebody who has gone overdrawn on my account a few times (completely my own fault, even if the debitor tried to take the money at a surprising time I had still authorised the transaction) and had the bank reimburse me the charge a couple of times (which I consider to be generous, I'd agreed to the charges when I opened the account), I know from experience that at least with the current system (managed properly) you can enjoy an account with no charges that will only gain you interest on your savings account (unless you've taken advantage of the free overdraft the bank gives you).

Personally though, I don't think we'll ever see the "wee man" in this country ever stop moaning because of the perceived persecution complex that's been imprinted in our culture. As soon as they get rid of the "unfair" bank charges, they'll be moaning that the new monthly account fees aren't on a sliding scale and that somebody with a ?100,000 balance is charged the same as somebody who only has ?10. Time and time again over the last couple of years we've seen items pop up in the news (Royal Mail strikes anybody?) where people whinge and complain about the raw deal they're getting without them ever asking why they "deserve" better. If a party ever adopted a mantra along the lines of getting Britain to grow some balls and take responsibility, they'd get my vote.

A good way of avoiding bank charges is to not try to pay people with money that you don't have. This can be achieved by not going over your overdraft limit.

Here to help. :)

A good way of avoiding bank charges is to not try to pay people with money that you don't have. This can be achieved by not going over your overdraft limit.

Here to help. :)

Why have an overdraft in the first place ............

Why have an overdraft in the first place ............

If you can afford to not have an overdraft, that's an even better way of avoiding bank charges. If you do have an overdraft, as most people do, then not going over your overdraft is also a good way.

What's an overdraft?

Sorry mate, But if you have to ask that question on a thread about bank charges you probably shouldn't even apply for one.

But wait, you may just be a callow youth in need of enlightenment. An overdraft is a credit facility on your current account which lets you spend money you dont have up to a pre-determined limit. You will pay interest on any overdrawn balance at a pre-determined rate & will probably pay an arrangement fee of around 1% on top. The overdraft will be for a specified period of time, at the end of which you can either renew it & incur another arrangement fee, or pay it off.

Best not to use an overdraft for major spending such as Holidays car, TV, Hi-fi (consumer durables) take out a bank loan its cheaper thn shop finance or credit cards.

With a loan you know how much the repayments are & for how long they will last. Overdrafts tend to be used for short- term financing i.e. covering last week before payday when your skint or financing a project which you know you will be able to pay off in a oner from another scource.

Hope that clears things up for you.

cheers

Walter Payton
I thought all banks had account charges. I have to pay a monthly fee.

Who do you bank with DikT?

Who do you bank with DikT?

Coutts. It is where my Dad banked and my account was opened when I was little.

This time last year i pulled the wrong card out my wallet (debit instead of credit) and promptly ended up about ?700 overdrawn!!

Got charged ?38 or so from the bank but i called the branch directly and explained MY error, pointed out that I had never been overdrawn before and they were more than happy to refund me, including the debtor interest!!

Just hold your hands up , admit YOU have made the mistake and ask nicely for a refund!!!

coppercrutch
Coutts. It is where my Dad banked and my account was opened when I was little.

Don't you need to have serious wads of cash to have an account with them* ?

*Even though they are now owned by RBS.

I dunno?????? I just have what I have and what my hubby puts in it ever month. Not a lot to spend it on out here.

As you say though, gone to the dogs now it is RBS :-)

coppercrutch
I dunno?????? I just have what I have and what my hubby puts in it ever month. Not a lot to spend it on out here.

As you say though, gone to the dogs now it is RBS :-)

Where are you , Antarctic..................:rolleyes:

coppercrutch
Deepest darkest Africa.

I see. Does your hubby's job involve sending emails from Nigeria telling people they have won the 'special' lottery...;)

Stuart Lyon

Wasn't there a previous poster in darkest Africa who expressed their liking for the Nigerian (I think) male appendage and indulged herself now and again in revenge for his flings?

I will thanks, best move I made.

I notice you never denied its just a rip off fine though

I've said before, i'm not here to justify the charges, and they can be deemed excessive and/or unfair, in which case it's probable they'll be refunded.

We're going over the same ground here. Stay with the Cowboys if you wish...

The sad fact is RBS will announce 600-800 job loses in the next twelve months.

This will happen whether they charge thirty or three hundred quid for going overdrawn.

Whatever picture they will try to paint on it , the only reason is mismanagement.

Where do you read of the job cuts? That's complete and utter claptrap.

I thought all banks had account charges. I have to pay a monthly fee.

You'll no doubt have a packed account, such as RBS' Royalties Gold, HSBC's Bank Account Plus and Halifax's Ultimate Reward. These come with benefits like free travel insurance, preferential rates, special features etc.

coppercrutch
Where do you read of the job cuts? That's complete and utter claptrap.

To be honest if any British bank does not lay off staff in the next few years I will be shocked. Most are already. Doing it through natural wastage though. Non-renewal of contractors/temps, not replacing retirees etc...

Over a few years this all adds up to big big numbers...

To be honest if any British bank does not lay off staff in the next few years I will be shocked. Most are already. Doing it through natural wastage though. Non-renewal of contractors/temps, not replacing retirees etc...

Over a few years this all adds up to big big numbers...

Yeah, aplogies i thought he meant en masse.

to be fair he is probably correct, but this is natural, certain economies and industries prosper, others decline

For example due to changing environments a lot of insurance companies are cutting staff, as they simply dont need so many in the days of internet etc and being a bank RBS will have insurance operations

However for every area like this there will be otheres which are growing and they will be increasing staff numbers

Oh and SNTH let them fight on, if they win your bonuses and shares will rocket in value as everyone gets screwed over for operating fees and the like:rolleyes:

coppercrutch

No apologies required !!

And if there are lay offs in the planning stage just now I would not be surprised either.

Although the 'natural wastage' is always the preferred option. Cheaper. :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
to be fair he is probably correct, but this is natural, certain economies and industries prosper, others decline

For example due to changing environments a lot of insurance companies are cutting staff, as they simply dont need so many in the days of internet etc and being a bank RBS will have insurance operations

However for every area like this there will be otheres which are growing and they will be increasing staff numbers

Oh and SNTH let them fight on, if they win your bonuses and shares will rocket in value as everyone gets screwed over for operating fees and the like:rolleyes:

Well they do. Except they are currently trying to offload the entire LOT !!!

DirectLine, Churchill, Tescocompare, Green flag plus a few more.

RBS are DESPERATE for cash. Most banks are though. Sickening considering the 'profits' they supposedly make.

I see. Does your hubby's job involve sending emails from Nigeria telling people they have won the 'special' lottery...;)

Do you know, I have not a clue what he does. It is something with computers but don't think it is 419.

Wasn't there a previous poster in darkest Africa who expressed their liking for the Nigerian (I think) male appendage and indulged herself now and again in revenge for his flings?

I am a happily married woman I will have you know!!!!

DikTease. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Smoked-Glass
If you're looking to debate the size of Bank Charges, then just wait and see 'cause it's currently in the courts. I am not going to justify them as, as i say, they can be excessive and unfair. If they had paid the ?9 (which was money you didn't have!! Why should they?) then you would've been hit with a charge anyway, of ?28.

Also note that it's not a case of the bank 'letting it get requested again'.. it's outwith the banks hands.

As for the bank cancelling the D/D, you have to seriously get real. The Direct Debit is an agreement between yourself and a third party, whereby the bank is the middle ground. The bank cannot legally cancel the D/D without your consent.

The point is you dim wit that the banks DO DO DO DO have the money and CAN CAN CAN CAN pay it.

Banks make me sick with their charges especially when they boast huge profits.

Knuts

Stuart Lyon

DikT - not for one moment did I question your fidelity! I merely alluded to a thread some time ago where a lady poster from darkest Africa had decided to indulge herself by taking advantage of some native boaby in response to her husband availing himself of some of the local women. Seems fair to me.

I can't recall this lady saying she was unhappily married!

Walter Payton
The point is you dim wit that the banks DO DO DO DO have the money and CAN CAN CAN CAN pay it.

Knuts

Why should banks be anymore of a charity than any other business?

Lots of businesses make their profits from situations where people cannot abide by the contract they signed when they signed up. Why should banks be any different?

Why does banking as an industry make you sick? Do the companies that make massive profit in other industries also make you sick?

Unless you're a brother of Boris' and have taken some principled stances against a Capitalist lifestyle in your own life, I find it hard to do anything but laugh when somebody like you levels then charge of "dimwit" against another. It's a classic example of the "me me me" culture I was talking about earlier- want to enjoy all the advantages of a capitalist culture without anybody else doing the same.

Smoked-Glass
Why should banks be anymore of a charity than any other business?

Lots of businesses make their profits from situations where people cannot abide by the contract they signed when they signed up. Why should banks be any different?

Why does banking as an industry make you sick? Do the companies that make massive profit in other industries also make you sick?

Unless you're a brother of Boris' and have taken some principled stances against a Capitalist lifestyle in your own life, I find it hard to do anything but laugh when somebody like you levels then charge of "dimwit" against another. It's a classic example of the "me me me" culture I was talking about earlier- want to enjoy all the advantages of a capitalist culture without anybody else doing the same.

surley it doesn't cost the bank ?38 for a few pence being over drawn?

Walter Payton
surley it doesn't cost the bank ?38 for a few pence being over drawn?

Where in my post did I say it did?

Only a Game
No. He's wrong. Feel free to look it up.

I'll give you a clue. It's not the kind of case where one side wins and one side loses.

But no court has yet said the charges are unfair.

The court dont get to decide if the charges are unfair, its the OFT who do that.

"In April 08 the High Court judge, Mr Justice Andrew Smith, confirmed what bank charges campaigners have been arguing for two years, that consumer contract regulations, known as ‘Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations’ do apply to bank charges, meaning 'fairness' counts.

While it's not the end of the line, the decision is a massive step and paves the way for the OFT to decide whether it thinks banks' charges are unfair."

This case was brought to court by the OFT on behalf of bank customers who complained to them.They won (subject to appeal) and THEY now have to decide if bank charges are unfair. I'd imagine that they will decide they are, otherwise why bring the case in the first place.

It is quite clearly a case where one side wins and one side loses (contrary to what you posted). In this case (subject to appeal) the banks have lost and if they dont win the appeal they have lost BIG TIME !!

I didnt need to look it up (apart from the exact court date etc) as I have already successfully claimed over ?1700 in bank charges (prior to this case going to court and payouts being suspended) I also have 3 family members who have claims currently suspended who are delighted with the decision as they will now be able to claim interest as well as the charges (provided the appeal fails).

Interestingly I only learned I could claim from a thread started in here about 18 months ago.

This will cost UK banks billions of pounds and will change the face of domestic banking for good.

Walter Payton

Can anyone explain the issue of "fairness" to me? I understand (and agree the Banks are wrong to) the issue with claiming these are admin charges because clearly it doesn't cost that much to the bank to reclaim their costs in processing, but I still don't see how people don't understand the fact these charges are clearly identified in the contracts they agreed when either opening the account or arranging the overdraft.

What's the difference between somebody spitting the dummy when they get penalised for going over their overdraft, and somebody trying to say the price they paid for a luxury car was "unfair" months after they agreed the deal with the dealership and have been driving the car around? Both knew (or should have known) the ins and outs of any contract they were getting involved with before they signed it.

Knuts

Yeah!

I hear that that Donald Trump has some money, I think that he should pay all my bills for me.

:confused:

DikT - not for one moment did I question your fidelity! I merely alluded to a thread some time ago where a lady poster from darkest Africa had decided to indulge herself by taking advantage of some native boaby in response to her husband availing himself of some of the local women. Seems fair to me.

I can't recall this lady saying she was unhappily married!

That's OK then ;) Just because said wimmun likes a black boaby does not mean she cannot love her husband ( he pays the bills obviously!!!)

Can anyone explain the issue of "fairness" to me? I understand (and agree the Banks are wrong to) the issue with claiming these are admin charges because clearly it doesn't cost that much to the bank to reclaim their costs in processing, but I still don't see how people don't understand the fact these charges are clearly identified in the contracts they agreed when either opening the account or arranging the overdraft.

Correct, and what about the price of oil????? Oil companies making even more than the banks.

Stuart Lyon

DikT - does he pay the bills for the black boaby or does it come (no pun intended) free?

Oil companies should have windfall taxes imposed on them!

DikT - does he pay the bills for the black boaby or does it come (no pun intended) free?

Oil companies should have windfall taxes imposed on them!

Actually, it is usually one of our workers so I guess he, or the company, pay for it most of the time!!!

Boaby Ewing

Correct, and what about the price of oil????? Oil companies making even more than the banks.

At least you're doing your bit to keep MEND distracted. :P

If more ladies would step up to the oche, maybe they'd stop blowing up pipelines and the price of crude might come down.

Stuart Lyon

If the women go down the oil price follows - come on ladies do your bit to lower petrol prices! Sorry for being crude!

At least you're doing your bit to keep MEND distracted. :P

If more ladies would step up to the oche, maybe they'd stop blowing up pipelines and the price of crude might come down.

Their main spokesperson is actually a woman, but I see where you are coming from. Not sure if crude will come down, they are only losing, according to the papers anyway, a couple of hundred thousand barrels a day. Not a huge amount in the greater picture (so i am told anyway!!!)

Boaby Ewing
Their main spokesperson is actually a woman, but I see where you are coming from. Not sure if crude will come down, they are only losing, according to the papers anyway, a couple of hundred thousand barrels a day. Not a huge amount in the greater picture (so i am told anyway!!!)

Ha, tell that to the market -- Nigerian production is down by way more than that.

More importantly, the increasing sophistication of MEND's attacks has got the industry spooked... companies are less likely to invest in the Delta if they have to put up with a highly organised militant group trying to feck up their projects every step of the way.

It's up to you and your lady pals DikT. If the Nigerian government can't/won't do enough to placate them, you'll need to take on the task on your own.

Ha, tell that to the market -- Nigerian production is down by way more than that.

More importantly, the increasing sophistication of MEND's attacks has got the industry spooked... companies are less likely to invest in the Delta if they have to put up with a highly organised militant group trying to feck up their projects every step of the way.

It's up to you and your lady pals DikT. If the Nigerian government can't/won't do enough to placate them, you'll need to take on the task on your own.

I'llbow to your knowledge. I just listen with half an ear when the blokes are talking.:) They are getting more adventurous as last weeks attack on Bonga showed.

Stuart Lyon

I know the money in the oil business is good but if its that dangerous is it worth it?

Smoked-Glass
Where in my post did I say it did?

You didn't but why does the bank charge this much? Is it trying to pull a fast one?

No wonder the banks are hated

Walter Payton
You didn't but why does the bank charge this much? Is it trying to pull a fast one?

No wonder the banks are hated

The answer to your question is the same as for most businesses- to make a profit. Why does that explain why banks are hated as opposed to, say, toy companies whose motivation would be exactly the same?

Who bitched? I asked for advice and explained my situation. I understand that it was my fault that the charge incurred. What I can't understand is why it costs ?38, or why they wouldn't just pay the ?9. Fair enough for a ?500 D/D but ?9? And why didn't they contact me first time, or cancel the D/D rather than let it get requested again, incurring another ridiculous ?38 charge.

I will go in to the branch, and I will explain the situation, and hopefully I will get at least one charge refunded. That's not going to stop me asking for a bit of friendly advice on Kickback though, an open message board where we can talk about whatever we like.

Well how did you get on then? Did you get the charge removed?

Archived