What do the coaching staff coach?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Apart from the odd set piece, what does the coachimg staff work on during the week?

It's absolutely awful to watch and has been for months 

Harry Cochrane looks like our only proper football player at the club 

A simple game being made complicated with bits of paper, clipboards and stats 

Just a simple control, short pass and finish seems too much for McPhee, Fox and Daly to work on 

Something is not right on the training field or is not working as we have not made any progress this season and doesn't look likely to improve any time soon 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

sandylejambo

They teach the midfield that it's never ok to be further forward than the lone man up front, it's the goalies job to get the ball to the other keeper, gutless is the way to go,  each pass has to be at least twenty yards and one-two's are forbidden. This and the players must never try and entertain the people who pay to get in, we capitulate not graft.

gowestjambo

They certainly do not coach marking the oppossition at throw in's! This has been badly neglected for most games this season.

It is infuriating how easily our opponnents take throw in's without a Hearts player near them. On the other hand we seem incapable of retaining possession from our own throws.

Dont get me wrong this is way down the list of problems we need to improve, but shows we can do no work on this aspect of the game.

Jean Louis Valois

I’m surely not the only person that gets annoyed that we never leave anyone up at corners! Even against Inverness last week we done this. Absolutely sums us up under Levein!

Slowest team in the league......Time to get rid of the huddies who coach them....FFS Jon Daly looked like a carthorse when he was playing!!!!!....Forget about state of the art facilities, get them back down to Gullane sands 

8 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I’m surely not the only person that gets annoyed that we never leave anyone up at corners! Even against Inverness last week we done this. Absolutely sums us up under Levein!

You are not.   Our defender or keeper win the ball, but there is no-one to pass to. 

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Every thread like this, I see mention of set peices, some posters on here mention them like they are something amazing that we should be proud of. The fact is we utilise set peices because it seems to be our game plan and tactics.  It's ******* embarrassing, we are so far off being a football team and we all know who is to blame.

9 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

No, you’re not alone.

41 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Almost as many coaches, as players. 

Sitting around all day on their elbows.

kingantti1874

Certainly not pass and move and driving into space. More like pass, stay still - pass it to someone else’s even though I’m currently in 20 yards of space. 

They need to work on the art of being able to pass the 5 yards+ to a team mate without misplacing the pass.

I always assumed being able to pass the ball atleast a short distance would be a prerequisite to being a professional footballer but hearts have proved me wrong.

Hearts inability to doing the very basics is embarrassing...or you could argue impressive given fact earning a living as footballer and being so awful.

gashauskis9
9 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

They teach the midfield that it's never ok to be further forward than the lone man up front, it's the goalies job to get the ball to the other keeper, gutless is the way to go,  each pass has to be at least twenty yards and one-two's are forbidden. This and the players must never try and entertain the people who pay to get in, we capitulate not graft.

I don’t fully disagree with this, but to be fair Levein was going mental at Lee in the first half for not pressuring the defence or pushing up to support Uche.  He eventually got fed up with him and moved him to the right and pushed Wighton up.  

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Certainly not pass and move and driving into space. More like pass, stay still - pass it to someone else’s even though I’m currently in 20 yards of space. 

The failure to use space in front of us is maddening. Tynecastle is compact, but there are numerous occasions in most games when a midfielder will receive the ball from Berra or Souttar and find that the opposition has backed off, leaving a huge space which could be exploited. I’d want my midfielders driving into this space with the ball, drawing the opposing team out. Instead of which our midfielders will most likely stop, turn sideways and look for the pass to the man on the flanks who is actually marked. There is no forward momentum, no drive, no urgency, no conviction that by pressing forward at pace you can make things happen. It’s almost as if we were terrified of losing the ball - which we inevitably do anyway, once our static, sideways play results in the panic pass back to the centre halves, who then punt the ball straight to the opposition.

A very weird brand of football.

I had thought young coaches to bring new ideas. Either they have no ideas or levein doesn't listen. Either way they are pointless.

The no movement problem has been around for a few seasons now.

Edited by jambopilms

9 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

They certainly do not coach marking the oppossition at throw in's! This has been badly neglected for most games this season.

It is infuriating how easily our opponnents take throw in's without a Hearts player near them. On the other hand we seem incapable of retaining possession from our own throws.

Dont get me wrong this is way down the list of problems we need to improve, but shows we can do no work on this aspect of the game.

Yeah I’ve noticed this , basic stuff but we can’t or don’t do the basics well . Strange with the high number of coaches we have . Though not good ones sadly . 

Blind drunk monkeys could do a better job than the current management and coaches.

every single home game players turn to the bench shrugging shoulders asking what should they be doing. Every single game.

as said above defending corners is just embarrassing as we have no outball because we are all crammed into our box. Even against teams in divisions below us.

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Apart from the odd set piece, what does the coachimg staff work on during the week?

Just a simple control, short pass and finish seems too much for McPhee, Fox and Daly to work on 

Something is not right on the training field or is not working as we have not made any progress this season and doesn't look likely to improve any time soon 

Who is Harry cochrane?

pettigrewsstylist

Cant blame the coaches.

Its the fans fault for turning up, becoming engaged and making a noise.

Famous 1874

Need every single one of them out along with the recruitment team, especially John Murray who seems to get away with signing shite every year 

The issue is most of our coaches are inexperienced with maybe the exception of MacPhee. They are at the start of their careers so they are understandably overly influenced by the person in charge. There is obviously no challenge to their gaffer and the way Levein wants to play means there is little point in working on things like transition through midfield as we don't play like that. What is incredibly worrying is how easily we are opened up by teams keeping it on the deck and passing through us in the final third. 

A tracksuit head coach who is willing to invest time on the training ground is what is required. The new manager/head coach should decide whether he wants to keep the staff or let them go. 

Worrying thing for me is the lack of leadership on the park, Berra is the captain but yesterday I saw nothing from him having a go at his teammates like what Naisy would have bn doing. I had hoped yesterday that getting to the cup final we would have come out the traps with energy and intensity and got in Rangers faces but yet again we started so poorly and didn’t look like a team that were playing for Cup Final places. To watch a team of professional players who can’t get the basics right is brutal. I  can’t decide if the players are simply not good enough or if they are just being really badly coached. 

Our last manager was supposed to be a super coach and look how that ended, we just a need a normal bloody manager who sends his team out to win.,it can’t be rocket science.

11 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I noticed last week Inverness we’re leaving 2 up at corners, gives a team way out. Not us tho, everybody back!!!

Finlay James
11 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I agree but we're not the only team that does this, it's quite common now to load the box at corners

Allowayjambo1874
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Nailed it. Our players very rarely make first time passes and drive on it’s always control first and find the easy pass ie square. After 5 minutes of this pish ends up with soapy trying a wonder pass or Berra hoofing to Uche. Slow, unimaginative and easy to defend against.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Nailed it. Our players very rarely make first time passes and drive on it’s always control first and find the easy pass ie square. After 5 minutes of this pish ends up with soapy trying a wonder pass or Berra hoofing to Uche. Slow, unimaginative and easy to defend against.

It’s really really poor, 5 minutes comparing our play to a decent team shows exactly what the problem is.. levein is moaning about not pressing.. that’s only 20% of the problem..

time me to go Craig, and everyone else top to bottom

Allowayjambo1874

Which is why Naismith is so important, he does play first time balls and does drive the team forward. Djoum does it sometimes and Clare has shown rare glimpses of it but it’s not enough. The players are terrified to gamble and take the easy ball 99% of the time. And that I’m afraid is coming from the coaching which is what this thread originally discussed.

The coaching of individual players could be questioned too. 

Uche appears to be going backwards since he signed his new deal - is anyone trying to teach him to play with his head up? Or not be a greedy kant?

stirlingshirejambo
1 hour ago, jambmoz said:

I noticed last week Inverness we’re leaving 2 up at corners, gives a team way out. Not us tho, everybody back!!!

Also less chance of them defending corners effectively and we scored from two

Cruyff Turn

A specific example yesterday was the 3rd Rangers goal. Djoum marking Katic. It should have been Berra Or Souttar.

Why bring Mulraney or Wighton back at corners as well. Leave them forward and we might get something on the break, especially when you consider that we only really threaten from set pieces. It may give us another avenue to score from. 

gowestjambo
2 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

Also less chance of them defending corners effectively and we scored from two

We had everyone back at rangers third goal, it made no difference! Leave defending to defenders instead of 5 foot 8 inch forwards getting in their way.

The more players you leave up, the more defenders drop back to cover them. Too easy a concept for our negative Manager.....

stirlingshirejambo
2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

We had everyone back at rangers third goal, it made no difference! Leave defending to defenders instead of 5 foot 8 inch forwards getting in their way.

The more players you leave up, the more defenders drop back to cover them. Too easy a concept for our negative Manager.....

we lost that goal as our defenders were sleeping and too bothered arguing about what they thought was offside in the lead up to the corner

There will be dozens of instances where we have or haven't lost goals at corners depending on players back. We have left Morrison up front when we are defending corners and fee kicks before and he is not a good out ball as he was just bullied off. Again we have so little pace in the team a quick breakaway is virtually impossible anyway as our players would take an age to get up to support someone who got a quick "out" ball

I preferred the old Jimmy Caderwood scenario leaving 4 up front totally confused the opposition

17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

A specific example yesterday was the 3rd Rangers goal. Djoum marking Katic. It should have been Berra Or Souttar.

Why bring Mulraney or Wighton back at corners as well. Leave them forward and we might get something on the break, especially when you consider that we only really threaten from set pieces. It may give us another avenue to score from. 

Agree with that. Should be matching up our big lads with theirs. Having Djoum marking a centre back is ****ing idiotic and a recipe for disaster. Perhaps the result of losing Haring & Clare. Still wonder who Uche would have been marking mind...

Robbo-Jambo
14 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Easy gig for our coaching staff. Just have to get the ball to our captain and tell him to hoof the ball as high as he can to Uche. Job done. 

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Getting into space to receive the ball. 

For me it's the most obvious thing that we don't do. 

And once you receive it trying to drive forward and commit players BEFORE passing it off.. someone described it as subbuteo football.. a perfect description... we play football like a netball team

They coach anti football, closely watched by Levein to make sure they get it right. Levein can take any player, make him regress, and lose all confidence. 

Jasonauskas
13 hours ago, Cambo said:

Love to know the contents of John Daly's coaches folder that goes everywhere with him.

It’s for hiding his copy of razzle 

I accept that Levein wants Uche's height defending corners but Mulraney should be kept on the half way line to use his pace for a quick clearance.