Wighton

communist

Pasquale for King
Just now, wallace_mercer said:

He might turn it around and I hope he does 

but a huge improvement is needed

part of which by the way is adjusting to the spl and the pace play is played at and strength and courage required 

He played 82 games scoring 7 goals for Dundee in the top league.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• Inch Hearts

• Thomaso

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He isn't a striker. He's a wide player. David Templeton scored 11 in 80 odd games and Valois scored 2 in 49 games to put things into context.

I'm definitely NOT saying Wighton is a great player but I do think he needs time and shouldn't be judged on goals

1874Gorgie1874

Feel sorry for they guy. He isn’t good enough for hearts imo and having to play in different positions every week because of injuries and lack of signing’s in the positions. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

If we had a manager that knew how to use him and in a team that 

play some football he might be decent, like most of our players this sideways pass and big punt up the park to our striker who then falls over doesn't get the best out of anyone.

Good point, so why sign him if those were the tactics ?.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

He isn't a striker. He's a wide player. David Templeton scored 11 in 80 odd games and Valois scored 2 in 49 games to put things into context.

I'm definitely NOT saying Wighton is a great player but I do think he needs time and shouldn't be judged on goals

If you look at his career he’s a striker that can play wide allegedly. Have you seen him do anything in a wide position to compare him to Templeton at his age?

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

If you look at his career he’s a striker that can play wide allegedly. Have you seen him do anything in a wide position to compare him to Templeton at his age?

I'm not comparing him to Templeton. Templeton is far better. However I am comparing him to a wide man's ratios. Wighton was rarely used as a centre forward at Dundee. Often behind the striker or out wide. 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

David Brent ran a successful paper merchants.

Insightful addition the discussion ??

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Stop making excuses up.  Injuries or not we shouldn’t be in the same position as last season, it’s simply not good enough.  You’ve always an excuse.  The injuries happened as they do most clubs, they seem to deal with it.  I do t follow the other teams enough to know.  

OK - these injuries didn't happen.  I just made it up.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Cwapsy said:

I'm not comparing him to Templeton. Templeton is far better. However I am comparing him to a wide man's ratios. Wighton was rarely used as a centre forward at Dundee. Often behind the striker or out wide. 

You made a direct comparison between them ffs.

How many chances did he create for Dundee or us then? Naismith is a 2nd striker/wide player and midfielder sometimes and is still our top goal scorer but some margin.

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

Wighton lazy? Say what you want about his abilities but that’s one Thing that’s just not true. To be fair I was fairly pished at the rangers game so I might be wrong about this particular game but every other game I’ve seen him play he’s been the hardest working player on the park. 

I think hes not long back from a long term injury, and had that moderate length injury a few months ago. Ifthat was the same body part as the long term injury then no wonder he’s been timid going into tackles. That’s for our sports psychologist and medical team to fix over the summer i imagine. 

It's in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but on the fitness issue , if he wasn't fit he shouldn't have been on the park.  He jogs about a lot but that's not enough. One occasion sticks in my mind and had me yelling at him; he ran about 20 yards towards a Sevco player in possession, then 5 yards off him stopped and waited while the guy played an easy pass out of trouble.  He should have been right into him trying to dispossess him,  just like he had been earlier in the game.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

I don't think he left for the reserves. I think he would have been a bench player to replace Henderson and other young attackers. However if Naismith was fit, Clare fit on Saturday we wouldn't be having this chat as he'd have been eased in to improve, gain confidence etc. We are judging him against much better players. You can't expect a Dundee player to just come into our team and be fantastic immediately.

I think he's ready to be used sparingly but he's not ready to be a first team scape goat yet in my opinion. Also he's really a wide player primarily who can also play striker but striker isn't his position. I can't think of many wingers who are consistent all the time never mind in a struggling Hearts team that is rotated all the time!

He’s not a winger ffs, Kamara/McCann/Hamilton/Weighorst all fitted into teams right away from Dundee.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You made a direct comparison between them ffs.

How many chances did he create for Dundee or us then? Naismith is a 2nd striker/wide player and midfielder sometimes and is still our top goal scorer but some margin.

You quoted Wighton's games to goal ratio which I don't think you were being complimentary of.

I've then picked out two wingers who were popular with us who had similar ratios as I think he should be compared to wide players not centre forwards. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

rI went into detail earlier on this season but Celtic had Griffiths/Brown/Boyata/Siminuvic out and the likes of Tierney/Hayes/Eduoard/Hendry/Lustig/Gordon/Ajaer out. Aberdeen had McGinn/GMS/Logan/Devlin/Wilson out together.

Hibs had Macgregor/Hanlon/Porteous/Gray/Whittaker/Boyle all miss games. We had our 4 main players out for 5 weeks at the same time, late October to early December and signed 20 players to compensate. We wasted money on Wighton that could’ve been used to get someone in either on loan or permanently (Greg Stewart/Mark McNulty etc) to contribute immediately.

Asking did we not indicates I wasn’t sure but having checked I am, you still don't know. They young guys contributed last season so it’s likely they would’ve, what has Wighton contributed so far? How long do we wait for that? As for what I know it’s clear it’s more than someone who calls themselves a Jambo on a Hearts suppprters site. Back on ignore you go so save yourself coming up with more deflection and excuses fan boy.

At least I'm not a hate monger.

This thread is about Wighton.  Take your dreary biased crap to the proper thread.  

Levein is your problem/obsession and there are plenty of threads about him elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not a winger ffs, Kamara/McCann/Hamilton/Weighorst all fitted into teams right away from Dundee.

He's a forward player who usually plays wide. Agree he's not an out and out winger but he isn't a centre forward either so we can't expect bucket loads of goals. 

Marcus Haber, Simon Murray, El Bahktaoui,  Kane Hemmings and Rory Loy typically played central and he played wide

Also Kamara/McCann/Hamilton/Weighorst were all played in their correct position right from the start. We've played Wighton all over the place.

His best position in my opinion is left of a front 3

Edited by Cwapsy

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

I’m sure all the players meet with the sort psychologist regularly to be honest. Mulraneys improvement looks like it’s been more of a mental improvement than anything else, for example. 

Like others have said, he’s one for the future and wouldn’t be playing right now unless we needed to play him. I think zanatta and mcdonald would be better options currently but obviously they are unavailable. 

He is a different player for the reserves. He’s full of confidence. It’s strange what 16,000 arseholes shouting abuse at you whenever you’re in the same half as the ball can do to your confidence as a young player

I was pretty embarrassed in front of the guest I brought on Saturday by our fans. Mindless abuse spouted at every opportunity. I’d look to my guest who isn’t a hearts fan but is very knowledgeable of football and ask “Did *insert players name* do anything wrong/worthy of abuse there?” And the majority of the time it would be a no. 

His manager and his assistant were moaning at him too. Did you warn your friend how bad we’ve been recently or explain that most of the moans are because we are watching the same mistakes continually?

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

He's a forward player who usually plays wide. Agree he's not an out and out winger but he isn't a centre forward either so we can't expect bucket loads of goals. 

Marcus Haber, Simon Murray, El Bahktaoui,  Kane Hemmings and Rory Loy typically played central and he played wide

Also Kamara/McCann/Hamilton/Weighorst were all played in their correct position right from the start. We've played Wighton all over the place.

How many chances and goals did he create from there? He hasn’t  scored or created a chance so far for us. I hope he comes good but there hasn’t been one instance to show he will.

Inch Hearts
21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

OK - these injuries didn't happen.  I just made it up.

They happen to every team, all the teams around us have lost central defenders top attackers and captains, goalies for considerable parts of the season.  

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How many chances and goals did he create from there? He hasn’t  scored or created a chance so far for us. I hope he comes good but there hasn’t been one instance to show he will.

Admittedly I've not got his assists stats. They will be somewhere but I can't find them. Define "come good"? You can't be expecting him to be a 12 goal a season man for this surely?

Inch Hearts
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

At least I'm not a hate monger.

This thread is about Wighton.  Take your dreary biased crap to the proper thread.  

Levein is your problem/obsession and there are plenty of threads about him elsewhere.

When in doubt and no comeback retort to type.  You brought up injuries etc nobody else. 

Inch Hearts
59 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

I don't think he left for the reserves. I think he would have been a bench player to replace Henderson and other young attackers. However if Naismith was fit, Clare fit on Saturday we wouldn't be having this chat as he'd have been eased in to improve, gain confidence etc. We are judging him against much better players. You can't expect a Dundee player to just come into our team and be fantastic immediately.

I think he's ready to be used sparingly but he's not ready to be a first team scape goat yet in my opinion. Also he's really a wide player primarily who can also play striker but striker isn't his position. I can't think of many wingers who are consistent all the time never mind in a struggling Hearts team that is rotated all the time!

They players haven’t been fit and he can still barely get a start though!  So when or if they are he will be nowhere near the first team as he’s not got the ability required to do so. 

12 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Often when new players are brought in they don't always play in their favoured position.

Dave McPherson often featured at RB as did Snakey and Alan McLaren before moving to CD and, going further back,  the great Alex. Young had to start at outside right.

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

When in doubt and no comeback retort to type.  You brought up injuries etc nobody else. 

Go to a thread about the management and I'll take you on mate but please don't pollute every thread with the same biased sh*te.

Inch Hearts
Just now, JamboAl said:

Often when new players are brought in they don't always play in their favoured position.

Dave McPherson often featured at RB as did Snakey and Alan McLaren before moving to CD and, going further back,  the great Alex. Young had to start at outside right.

Go to a thread about the management and I'll take you on mate but please don't pollute every thread with the same biased sh*te.

I replied to your load of shite that had nothing to do with the player in discussion.  You set up the only an excuse thread then, let’s meet there.  

Biased shite is also pathetic and repetitive even more so it becomes evident another signing isn’t good enough and it’s another poor poor league campaign. 

3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

They players haven’t been fit and he can still barely get a start though!  So when or if they are he will be nowhere near the first team as he’s not got the ability required to do so. 

I have actually said that earlier. I think he is more of a player who should be used from the bench and shouldn't be a scape goat/have a kickback thread slating him yet. I think he is a player to replace the likes of Henderson on the bench but shouldn't be starting ahead of Clare, Naismith etc but we've been forced into it. 

I get that we've paid a fee for him but we need a strong squad. He will grow into a good squad player for us i think 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Admittedly I've not got his assists stats. They will be somewhere but I can't find them. Define "come good"? You can't be expecting him to be a 12 goal a season man for this surely?

I expect someone who cost us £250k to make some sort of contribution at some point in the season, is that so hard to understand? He’s done nothing, shown little and looks like a waste of nearly £750k when wages and fees are taken into consideration, so yeah I hope he comes good for the clubs sake.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I replied to your load of shite that had nothing to do with the player in discussion.  You set up the only an excuse thread then, let’s meet there.  

Biased shite is also pathetic and repetitive even more so it becomes evident another signing isn’t good enough and it’s another poor poor league campaign. 

He’s hardly mentioned him at all, but seems to think he has the power to tell others to do so ???‍♂️?

Inch Hearts
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He’s hardly mentioned him at all, but seems to think he has the power to tell others to do so ???‍♂️?

You nailed him with your stats of other clubs and there’s no comeback.  

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

You nailed him with your stats of other clubs and there’s no comeback.  

When he tells me the run of games each team has had with 4 of their best players out, he will have nailed me.  Oh, did I mention Peter Haring also played on with a hernia?

Edited by JamboAl

I believe you've included a season in the Championship in this and his goalscoring record in the top flight is even worse! 

Tokyo Drifter

Kid's a goner. Had his chance when Uche and Naisy were out but didn't have the capacity or determination to take it, now he's shockingly short on confidence and luck isn't going his way either - could have had at least one and possibly two goals on Saturday but he sent one wide and McGregor made a great save for the other. You can blame the management, but if you're going to make it at a club you have to take your chances when they come along. Wighton hasn't and I don't see any way back for him. I mean Mulraney's our most improved player this season and folk are still moaning about him. Likewise Sean Clare.

Confidence is shot to hell.

We won't have any idea what he has to offer ability wise until that comes back.

No issue with that.

What I have got an issue with though is his work ethic.

Surely if you are a bit off the boil, the best way you can make yourself useful to the team and endear yourself to the fans is to run your arse off out there.

That's not too much to ask for a decent week's pay is it ?

Chumming Rangers players around the pitch when they are running about with the ball won't help much.

1 minute ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Kid's a goner. Had his chance when Uche and Naisy were out but didn't have the capacity or determination to take it, now he's shockingly short on confidence and luck isn't going his way either - could have had at least one and possibly two goals on Saturday but he sent one wide and McGregor made a great save for the other. You can blame the management, but if you're going to make it at a club you have to take your chances when they come along. Wighton hasn't and I don't see any way back for him. I mean Mulraney's our most improved player this season and folk are still moaning about him. Likewise Sean Clare.

Some players take longer than others to acclimatise at a new club and if CL had listened to the resident haters on here neither Mulraney nor Clare would even be at the club now.  Much of this aversion to Wighton comes now because he got in possession which led to a goal and with hindsight he ought to have done better.  He'll know that.  Bozanic made a pass which, again with hindsight, was not really on but there is no scathing thread about him.  Why?

Wouldn't be so bad if he was a freebie but we paid decent(relative) money on him.

Hopefully he can push on next season but I'm not overly confident.

OmiyaHearts
33 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

The one he put wide was almost a throw in. He has no composure, confidence, fight or aggression; The basics required when you're position is mainly in final 3rd of a football pitch.

It was a ridiculous signing at the time (for the money) and has looked even more bizarre after seeing his efforts in a maroon top.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

This wasn’t about Hampden was it fan boy? Pressing Celtic and playing on mistakes is the only way to do it, but as we are such a shambles I can’t see us doing it.

My answer as it says in my post is to stop gambling on injury prone duds and wasting millions of our money. 

Fan boy?  :jj_facepalm:

FWIW, I think pressing Celtic is our best chance but it is very high risk and on a big park like Hampden we could get monstered. Now, some might prefer to go down fighting and take a 5-1 drubbing rather than go down 2 nil without a whimper but this place would go apoplectic.  Mr Sergio got it right but if we had lost the first goal it could have just as easily have been a monstering. 

As for your second point, I'd like us to get every signing right but the nature of the business is that is highly unlikely so we have to gamble to an extent.  Going for young British talent like Halkett, Clare and Uche bolstered by the likes of Berra, Naismith and hopefully Bryson is as good as we can hope for at the moment.

Captain Sausage
Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

FWIW, I think pressing Celtic is our best chance but it is very high risk and on a big park like Hampden we could get monstered. Now, some might prefer to go down fighting and take a 5-1 drubbing rather than go down 2 nil without a whimper but this place would go apoplectic.  Mr Sergio got it right but if we had lost the first goal it could have just as easily have been a monstering. 

As for your second point, I'd like us to get every signing right but the nature of the business is that is highly unlikely so we have to gamble to an extent.  Going for young British talent like Halkett, Clare and Uche bolstered by the likes of Berra, Naismith and hopefully Bryson is as good as we can hope for at the moment.

I remember the 2012 semi well. 

We got absolutely battered, the Korean midfielder for Celtic missing 2-3 empty nets. 

We go up the other end, stick it in the net, and then shut up shop. On another day, we would have lost that game by 3 or 4 goals. 

Funny old game, football. 

20 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

The one he put wide was almost a throw in. He has no composure, confidence, fight or aggression; The basics required when you're position is mainly in final 3rd of a football pitch.

It was a ridiculous signing at the time (for the money) and has looked even more bizarre after seeing his efforts in a maroon top.

Did you see the one (slice) Soapy did against ICT?

Surprising that hasn't been mentioned in the same breath.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

I believe you've included a season in the Championship in this and his goalscoring record in the top flight is even worse! 

I wasn’t sure, he was in loan twice down there and scored 3 goals in 20 games I think. So one goal every ten games in his career, must be due one soon.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Sergio did get it right but he is far more tactically aware than CL or his coaches. So you advocate we just do what we always do and sit tight and get beat anyway, Instead of having a go and maybe winning? 

I realise not all signings will work out but the vast majority of the 20 this season have been failures. Only Haring/Uche/Naismith/Dunne have been up to the standard required. It’s so strange that a man who gambles constantly is so tactically cautious on the football pitch.

PS fanboy equates to someone obsessed with another, as your name and choice of meme indicates.

Edited by Pasquale for King

29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Did you see the one (slice) Soapy did against ICT?

Surprising that hasn't been mentioned in the same breath.

One is an attacker and one is a defender.

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sergio did get it right but he is far more tactically aware than CL or his coaches. So you advocate we just do what we always do and sit tight and get beat anyway, Instead of having a go and maybe winning? 

I realise not all signings will work out but the vast majority of the 20 this season have been failures. Only Haring/Uche/Naismith/Dunne have been up to the standard required. It’s so strange that a man who gambles constantly is so tactically cautious on the football pitch.

PS fanboy equates to someone obsessed with another, as your name and choice of meme indicates.

Sergio did get it right but he roped the dope and got away with it which is what I think CL will try to do. That's not what you advocate apparently. Nor I as it happens. I'd rather go for it and take the risk but realise it could go badly wrong particularly on a big pitch like Hampden.

I'd personally add Mulraney, Burns and Clare as young talents who could easily pay their way many times over to the list of good signings. Dikomona if he stays fit could be a gem too. Shame about Demi.  We will never know. 

I make no secret of my admiration for the guy who delivered the trophy I never thought I'd see. Still see plenty of faults in the great man though particularly in that he was like a bairn in a sweetie shop after getting his hands on the SMG money. 

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

We got absolutely battered, the Korean midfielder for Celtic missing 2-3 empty nets. 

We go up the other end, stick it in the net, and then shut up shop. On another day, we would have lost that game by 3 or 4 goals. 

Not on here it’s not.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Sergio did get it right but he roped the dope and got away with it which is what I think CL will try to do. That's not what you advocate apparently. Nor I as it happens. I'd rather go for it and take the risk but realise it could go badly wrong particularly on a big pitch like Hampden.

I'd personally add Mulraney, Burns and Clare as young talents who could easily pay their way many times over to the list of good signings. Dikomona if he stays fit could be a gem too. Shame about Demi.  We will never know. 

I make no secret of my admiration for the guy who delivered the trophy I never thought I'd see. Still see plenty of faults in the great man though particularly in that he was like a bairn in a sweetie shop after getting his hands on the SMG money. 

Levein has roped that dope too though, he knows how he will set them up and how they will play. I think we need to pressure them into making defensive mistakes and take any chances that come our way, we need a perfect day where everything goes right.

It’s too early to say if those three will be good signings or not.

Yes JJ gave me the greatest day of my life in 1998 but as you say he had faults of that there is no doubt. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

How very true

I remember the wayne foster derby at Easter road when they were all over us for 90 mins Michael o'Neill ran the entire show that day we were never in it then Mackay (i think) lobs in wayne and history was made with 21 in a row of memory serves me right. I only remember it well enough as i was almost killed in the celebrations 

Think we got Rangers in the semi at Hampden and got horsed with walters running the show for them 

?Levein has roped that dope too though, he knows how he will set them up and how they will play. I think we need to pressure them into making defensive mistakes and take any chances that come our way, we need a perfect day where everything goes right.

It’s too early to say if those three will be good signings or not.

Yes JJ gave me the greatest day of my life in 1998 but as you say he had faults of that there is no doubt. 

You still on about Levein?  Do you never give up with your obsessive rants on unrelated threads?

Edited by JamboAl

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

You still on about Levein?  Do you never give up with your obsessive rants on unrelated threads?

I’m praising him you clown ?

58 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m praising him you clown ?

But it's not about Levein, you clown.

How thick and persistent are you?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Wighton has around the same level of ability as Colin Cramb. Thankfully the internet didn't exist in the days of Podgy Hands but no doubt Cramb would have had his own excuse making factory too!

pettigrewsstylist

Does he get half his contract to settle in round here? Phree money. 

We can do better - get rid!

Tynecastle Valhalla
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What’s your point ?

he isn’t ready to play at spl level for us