Welcome to the West in 2019

i8hibsh

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Banned the use of the word.  As Ebay now seem to allow the sale of teh items, it would seem it was the language and not the item that was offensive?  Either way, right or wrong, it's up to ebay and as it is there business they can do, more or less, what they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)

Didn't say anything against what eBay allow or don't allow to be sold, as you say it's their business, I've got loads of stamps from Cuba & North Korea which I can't sell on eBay, banned items due to US sanctions.

Gammon, wasn't aware of the term until I heard it recently used on here, kinda guessed it was an insult.

In my day we would have just called them a fascist barsteward.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Boris

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Didn't say anything against what eBay allow or don't allow to be sold, as you say it's their business, I've got loads of stamps from Cuba & North Korea which I can't sell on eBay, banned items due to US sanctions.

Gammon, wasn't aware of the term until I heard it recently used on here, kinda guessed it was an insult.

In my day we would have just called them a fascist barsteward.

:rofl:

Like it!

btw wasn't referring to you as a gammon earlier, just in case you felt i was.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, Boris said:

:rofl:

Like it!

btw wasn't referring to you as a gammon earlier, just in case you felt i was.

Will admit I did wonder for a second or two, but quickly dismissed it, as you've always been courteous towards me, even when we don't always agree on the same subject. 

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Will admit I did wonder for a second or two, but quickly dismissed it, as you've always been courteous towards me, even when we don't always agree on the same subject. 

:thumb:

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

I had small pin badges that Robertson’s jam and marmalade gave away with their products.

Older viewers will know what I mean.

I can’t possibly type the horrendously racist name they were given, for fear of the gallows.

:facepalm:

A certain chewy sweet had to change its wrapper. I non racistly chewd my way through masses of these.

*I have altered the image to remove offence.

7a3324a73a5a65e2605bd06576dadcaf-black-t

Edited by Lemongrab

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I have one of the cuddly toys associated with Robertson's jam in my attic.

I'll stick it in the front window at election time.

I’m sure you’ll be able to sell it for good money on the dark web!! 

John Findlay
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

I had small pin badges that Robertson’s jam and marmalade gave away with their products.

I can’t possibly type the horrendously racist name they were given, for fear of the gallows.

Gollywog.

Sexton Hardcastle
9 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

He's that not offended he has spent his morning searching various parts of the internet trying to be offended.

He’s up there with Coonster and Irish Mick.

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

He’s up there with Coonster and Irish Mick.

Tbh, even typing name ‘Coonster’ on this thread will have some of the ‘new breed’ of ‘wonderfully PC, ain’t I’? ‘ brigade running for the hills.

They should really get a grip.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Gollywog.

Golly! John!

Thanks for that, I was really struggling with the name too.  :wink: 

Boris mentioned it about 100 hours ago.

5 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ian Black.

There, I said it.

Wonder if Blackie ever took a whitey when on the hash 

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Tbh, even typing name ‘Coonster’ on this thread will have some of the ‘new breed’ of ‘wonderfully PC, ain’t I’? ‘ brigade running for the hills.

They should really get a grip.

I think it's you who needs to get a grip. Anti racism is anti racism whether you're P.C or not. 

You should go on YouTube, I'm sure you're favourite 70s show will be there. Where decriminalisation of Blacks and Asians is all the rage. Enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The BBC have quotas to keep up. They must have at least 2 racist or gender inequality related stories every hour.

I have to say though as far as they go this one has substance. Does not good driving about in that. However if it was a Kiwi with "Go the All Blacks" zero ****s would be given.

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The BBC have quotas to keep up. They must have at least 2 racist or gender inequality related stories every hour.

I have to say though as far as they go this one has substance. Does not good driving about in that. However if it was a Kiwi with "Go the All Blacks" zero ****s would be given.

Don't you think the BBC are reporting the story to highlight its absurdity?

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just another example of the crazy world we live in, where people create problems where none exist.

Indeed.  And that's inn the USA!

AlphonseCapone

These threads are fun. It's pretty obvious there's a middle ground. 

I8 is correct that sometimes it goes too far, and usually a small group complain and a company changes it. Often the group complaining are complaining on someone else's behalf which is the first sign it's "PC gone mad". 

But on the other hand, there's a lot of things that have changed for the better that used to be common. Even just dropping the use of some words, that most folk agreed weren't meant in a racist way but the people involved found them offensive (note the key difference for me in the people complaining). 

The world's a significantly better place for a lot of people but there's still room for progress in some places. At the same time some folk are trying to take it too far, but they are in reality  a minority with loud voices. The most important thing is the morons complaining about chocolate ducks shouldn't detract from genuine points of concern. 

14 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The most important thing is the morons complaining about chocolate ducks shouldn't detract from genuine points of concern.

Or about license plates in California. These examples do provide an easy way to determine who is arguing from a position of good faith and who is not, however. A closeted racist is still a racist. Just also a coward.

37 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

These threads are fun. It's pretty obvious there's a middle ground. 

I8 is correct that sometimes it goes too far, and usually a small group complain and a company changes it. Often the group complaining are complaining on someone else's behalf which is the first sign it's "PC gone mad". 

But on the other hand, there's a lot of things that have changed for the better that used to be common. Even just dropping the use of some words, that most folk agreed weren't meant in a racist way but the people involved found them offensive (note the key difference for me in the people complaining). 

The world's a significantly better place for a lot of people but there's still room for progress in some places. At the same time some folk are trying to take it too far, but they are in reality  a minority with loud voices. The most important thing is the morons complaining about chocolate ducks shouldn't detract from genuine points of concern. 

I fully agree some words etc had to go and many things from the past belong in the past. I would admit to using some offensive terms in my everyday life (too many I guess) but the 'N' word for example makes my skin crawl and is a big no no. To me the world is a better place when we are not using that word. But it is not just whites who have these horrendous words and people need to wake up to this. I also feel that it is not just the horrific words like I mentioned it is ALL words that are being monitored. The constant public and social policing of absolutely everything and the 'evil white man' narrative in our society is the main soure of my anger.

20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I fully agree some words etc had to go and many things from the past belong in the past. I would admit to using some offensive terms in my everyday life (too many I guess) but the 'N' word for example makes my skin crawl and is a big no no. To me the world is a better place when we are not using that word. But it is not just whites who have these horrendous words and people need to wake up to this. I also feel that it is not just the horrific words like I mentioned it is ALL words that are being monitored. The constant public and social policing of absolutely everything and the 'evil white man' narrative in our society is the main soure of my anger.

Evil white man narrative. :D More like fact.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think it's you who needs to get a grip. Anti racism is anti racism whether you're P.C or not. 

You should go on YouTube, I'm sure you're favourite 70s show will be there. Where decriminalisation of Blacks and Asians is all the rage. Enjoy.

Oh, bugger off.

:wink: 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Evil white man narrative. :D More like fact.

To negatively prejudice an entire race by calling them racist is quite possibly the racist thing I have ever heard.

On 09/04/2019 at 15:00, Notts1874 said:

Basically this guy.

Mark Francois - Wikipedia.jpg

He’s a (Rhymes with James Hunt). 

He doesn’t offend me, just pisses me off that another human being actually wanted this cretin to represent them in Westminster!

Auld Reekin'
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

He’s a (Rhymes with James Hunt). 

He doesn’t offend me, just pisses me off that another human being actually wanted this cretin to represent them in Westminster!

Cretins voting cretinously shouldn't really come as a shock, but I do know what you mean...   :jj_facepalm:

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Damn those people exercising their democratic right!!!!

Cretins!

No, no - you misunderstand. It is absolutely the democratic right of everyone to vote for the parliamentary candidate of their choice, just as it is my right to hold the opinion that Monsieur Francois - and all who voted for him - are cretins.

I hope this clears things up.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

No, no - you misunderstand. It is absolutely the democratic right of everyone to vote for the parliamentary candidate of their choice, just as it is my right to hold the opinion that Monsieur Francois - and all who voted for him - are cretins.

I hope this clears things up.   :thumbsup:

Good old bigotry, you can't beat it.

Auld Reekin'
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Good old bigotry, you can't beat it.

I am happy to admit that I am very bigoted against slavering shitebags like M. Francois.

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I am happy to admit that I am very bigoted against slavering shitebags like M. Francois.

To be fair I am too. 

On 09/04/2019 at 11:57, Morgan said:

There used to be an annual Gollywog parade in Peebles ?

10 hours ago, Dunks said:

There used to be an annual Gollywog parade in Peebles ?

:vrwow: That would go down well nowadays. 

I P Knightley
On 09/04/2019 at 14:42, bobsharp said:

I can remember when people called their black dog what was then probably the most common name. Can you imagine someone taking the dog to the meadows now and calling their dog. I was really raised in a terrible time for names, insults, and classifications. One does reflect on how cruel some of them were. But we all used them as every day language.

Dambusters pilot, Guy Gibson, called his dog that and the name's used in the movie, Dambusters. I doubt whether they show Dambusters on the telly these days.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Dambusters pilot, Guy Gibson, called his dog that and the name's used in the movie, Dambusters. I doubt whether they show Dambusters on the telly these days.

Oh they still do, I watched the film just a month or two ago and they hadn't edited out the dogs name.

Edit: Oliver's Army has a line about Itchy triggers and one less white n??????, that song still get's played from time to time.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

36 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Dambusters pilot, Guy Gibson, called his dog that and the name's used in the movie, Dambusters. I doubt whether they show Dambusters on the telly these days.

But, if they did, would you have a ‘Chinese carry-out’ whilst watching it?

:whistling:

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh they still do, I watched the film just a month or two ago and they hadn't edited out the dogs name.

Edit: Oliver's Army has a line about Itchy triggers and one less white n??????, that song still get's played from time to time.

But would you rather be anywhere else than here today?

50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think that’s about the Irish. Coming from the old quote about the Irish being the N’s of europe. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think that’s about the Irish. Coming from the old quote about the Irish being the N’s of europe. 

Always took it to be about East/West Berlin & the Berlin Wall.

There was a checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile

Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white ******

Oliver's army etc etc etc

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Always took it to be about East/West Berlin & the Berlin Wall.

There was a checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile

Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white ******

Oliver's army etc etc etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver's_Army

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

I read that, it doesn't say who the phrase is directed towards.

There is another wiki page (which I'm not going to post a like to, would get censored anyway) which says that the term 'White N?????' usually refers to Irish-American Immigrants from the 1840/50's.

The page does make a reference to Northern Ireland but it also say's it wasn't a widely used term directed towards Irish Catholics, despite the term being used by Elvis Costello in the song.

So maybe that is who Costello is referring it to, and if that is the case, then I've learnt something new today.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I read that, it doesn't say who the phrase is directed towards.

There is another wiki page (which I'm not going to post a like to, would get censored anyway) which says that the term 'White N?????' usually refers to Irish-American Immigrants from the 1840/50's.

The page does make a reference to Northern Ireland but it also say's it wasn't a widely used term directed towards Irish Catholics, despite the term being used by Elvis Costello in the song.

So maybe that is who Costello is referring it to, and if that is the case, then I've learnt something new today.

Tazio's point regards the Irish being the "blacks of Europe" is a phrase I've heard before, so when used in a song called Oliver's Army, my initial conclusion would be that white n refers to the Irish.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Actually I watched Dambusters on a channel that only shows old movies, I was amazed that the name of the dog was not blanked out, it the channel was only on for a short period to promote it and gain subscriptions so I do not have it now.  There were though some excellent old movies on it.

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Tazio's point regards the Irish being the "blacks of Europe" is a phrase I've heard before, so when used in a song called Oliver's Army, my initial conclusion would be that white n refers to the Irish.

As a young man with very blac k hair, and green eyes I was often described as  being black Irish, I always thought that referred to the Irish people who had red hair and was a way of pointing out the different genetic and historic backgrounds.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

This interests me Boris.  

I love that song and have often wondered who ‘Oliver’ was in reference to.

Who do you think it is?