Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Boris

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin

I used the term 'black affronted' on here recently and had pause for thaught.

Is it an archaic Scots/Dundonian term, or is Maw Broon actually a hideous racist?

I googled it and the internet seemed to think it was racist, but then anything with the word black in it with negative connotations is likely to be deemed racist by todays outrage culture regardless of the term's original origins.

It reminded me of and old tradesman and his mate from East Lothian I worked with many years ago, where one used to refer to the other as 'that auld blackface ba****d'. When I enquired as to why Ronnie was a blackface ba****d when he was clearly white, I was informed that it wasn't a racial slur comparing his lackey to the commonly held mis-perceptions of subservient and inferior, unskilled black people (which were prevelent in their youth), but was in fact a working class slur as Ronnie was from a family of miners who were clearly beneath Tam and his family of artisan tradespeople. The blackface referred to the coal dust apparently.

Jambo-Jimbo

It never ceases to amaze me how easily offended some precious little darlings get nowadays.

Gov, I have always thought the term blackface referred to miners as well.

41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Is it an archaic Scots/Dundonian term, or is Maw Broon actually a hideous racist?

I googled it and the internet seemed to think it was racist, but then anything with the word black in it with negative connotations is likely to be deemed racist by todays outrage culture regardless of the term's original origins.

It reminded me of and old tradesman and his mate from East Lothian I worked with many years ago, where one used to refer to the other as 'that auld blackface ba****d'. When I enquired as to why Ronnie was a blackface ba****d when he was clearly white, I was informed that it wasn't a racial slur comparing his lackey to the commonly held mis-perceptions of subservient and inferior, unskilled black people (which were prevelent in their youth), but was in fact a working class slur as Ronnie was from a family of miners who were clearly beneath Tam and his family of artisan tradespeople. The blackface referred to the coal dust apparently.

People need to learn that no-one on this planet own words. I use this term a lot as I feel no other serves its purpose better but it is all just one big 'one way' street.  Since when did someone have the right to protect and police words.

Meanwhile our government are tackling sexual crime. How you ask? More Bobbies on the beat (if I can still use this term), more draconian punishment for convicted offenders?

No, they are banning the term "man" and replacing it with "person". These people need wheeled away in wee yellow vans (hoping I can still use the word 'yellow') for their own sanity. 

We (majorities) seem to pander to the extreme minority in almost very walk of life now. Who asked me or the 'man on the street' how offended they are by the term "Gingerbread Man"? 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Also, I use the term "black affronted" too and will not stop. Don't let them win GT. I also use the term "she/he was as white as sheet" when someone looks scared.

doctor jambo

the flip side of course is that I have successfully managed to eradicate all manner of terms from my own usage, and words too for that matter, and successfully conversed with trans people with no problem at all.

I don't mind respecting others peoples views at all, and it all boils down to merely treating people with respect.

If they want to be referred to as he, she , or whatever, then its not really very hard at all.

Don't get why people struggle with it.

Though as a caveat I do struggle with the non binary wanting to be called "they" or "their" when there is only one of them- "they have arrived late"- then I expect if not a crowd, certainly the term is pluralistic

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Unlike You Snowflakes I Am Not Offended and Don't Care At All

A Novella by i8hibsh

Oh, I do care.

6 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Is the term 'blackboard' not now deemed politically incorrect? 

Only White board can be used in the workplace.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

A Novella by i8hibsh

He's that not offended he has spent his morning searching various parts of the internet trying to be offended.

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Oh, I do care.

but why?

I am more than capable of treating human beings with respect

and also being able to disregard some of the guff that flies around.

I don't find it offensive to be honest.

There is little that has cropped up that could not be sorted by making toilets and changing facilities unisex.

Not a massive ask really.

Make all schools secular and there goes the other problems with regards to expressions of outrage from the bangers who cannot comprehend that trans/ gay people have been around since the dawn of time and everyone can go back to their lives again

The Internet
18 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I remember this being brought up when I was in primary school in 1998.

1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

No.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I think we need a sticky for this nonsense as it is relentless.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/8819199/waitrose-axes-racist-chocolate-easter-ducklings/

Seen any good ones recently you wish to share? They are not difficult to find.

This is just normal PR. Someone complains - company seen to do something as result - free publicity for company and product - product still available - fill yir boots.

Surprised the Sun hasn't blamed the EU.

I had small pin badges that Robertson’s jam and marmalade gave away with their products.

Older viewers will know what I mean.

I can’t possibly type the horrendously racist name they were given, for fear of the gallows.

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

A Novella by i8hibsh

The Alt-write

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Only for being outdated. It's all Smart Boards these days.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I had small pin badges that Robertson’s jam and marmalade gave away with their products.

I can’t possibly type the horrendously racist name they were given, for fear of the gallows.

I have one of the cuddly toys associated with Robertson's jam in my attic.

I'll stick it in the front window at election time.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Good golly, you mean you got free badges with figures on them.

Edit: Seem to remember you could collect tokens from the jars, i think they were called................... on second thoughts I better not say what they were called or I'll be hung drawn & quartered.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

He's that not offended he has spent his morning searching various parts of the internet trying to be offended.

Notably, 'The Sun' and Fox News... Make of that what you will.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The duck story is in most of the papers this morning but it is interesting what two sources the OP has chosen.

As an aside I had no idea Waitrose were selling chocolate ducks until this morning. All that free advertising eh. And if I find myself needing a chocolate duck I know where I'm going.

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I have one of the cuddly toys associated with Robertson's jam in my attic.

I'll stick it in the front window at election time.

I’m surprised to hear that your attic will fit in your front window, to be honest.

Just shows that everything is not as black and white as it might appear.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Good golly, you mean you got free badges with figures on them.

Edit: Seem to remember you could collect tokens from the jars, i think they were called................... on second thoughts I better not say what they were called or I'll be hung drawn & quartered.

That’s right, you collected tokens and sent them off to Robertson’s and, in return, you got wee metal badges depicting Charlie Williams in various guises.

They really were sweet.

8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I’m just a bit scared it was a red fox.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s right, you collected tokens and sent them off to Robertson’s and, in return, you got wee metal badges depicting Charlie Williams in various guises.

They really were sweet.

Seem to recall that eBay even banned their sale some time ago.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Quite ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Quite ridiculous.

It's not really.  It's up to ebay what can and can't get sold on their platform.  

The word you two were searching for is gollywog, btw.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Boris said:

It's not really.  It's up to ebay what can and can't get sold on their platform.  

:wow:

Oh I think we knew what the word was, we just didn't want to be the first to say it.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh I think we knew what the word was, we just didn't want to be the first to say it.

Why not?

It's only a word.  It's how you use it that matters.

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

That’s fair enough, but surely that is taking things a bit far?  It’s a flaming badge for goodness sake.

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

We know! :) 

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Plus, we were only mucking about.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

That’s fair enough, but surely that is taking things a bit far?  It’s a flaming badge for goodness sake.

I should have done this before originally replying, but you CAN get these badges on ebay.

FAKE NOOS!

File along with bendy bananas and other such gammon faced bullshit.

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Turns out they aren't.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

I should have done this before originally replying, but you CAN get these badges on ebay.

FAKE NOOS!

File along with bendy bananas and other such gammon faced bullshit.

Not 'FAKE NOOS', eBay did ban the sale of all Golly related items back in 2015 following an article in the Sun.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/IMPORTANT-Golly-Listings-Removed-From-eBay-as-of-09-08-15/td-p/4357714

TBH I didn't check to see if they were back on sale or not, more to the point why would I want to check if golly items were for sale.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not 'FAKE NOOS', eBay did ban the sale of all Golly related items back in 2015 following an article in the Sun.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/IMPORTANT-Golly-Listings-Removed-From-eBay-as-of-09-08-15/td-p/4357714

TBH I didn't check to see if they were back on sale or not, more to the point why would I want to check if golly items were for sale.

I suspect it is use of the word gollywog.  But you can buy them on Ebay.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Boris said:

I suspect it is use of the word gollywog.  But you can buy them on Ebay.

Not according to the link I posted as folks are saying it was some things with the word golly in it.

Btw my post was factual as eBay did ban them.

Oh, and what the feck is this 'gammon' shit I hear some folks use nowadays, for me gammon is something you eat.

I can remember when people called their black dog what was then probably the most common name. Can you imagine someone taking the dog to the meadows now and calling their dog. I was really raised in a terrible time for names, insults, and classifications. One does reflect on how cruel some of them were. But we all used them as every day language.

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Used to refer to Clatty/Boggin people as black. Now, I better not.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not according to the link I posted as folks are saying it was some things with the word golly in it.

Oh, and what the feck is this 'gammon' shit I hear some folks use nowadays, for me gammon is something you eat.

Its a term that was coined by Charles Dickens.

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Also, I use the term "black affronted" too and will not stop. Don't let them win GT. I also use the term "she/he was as white as sheet" when someone looks scared.

Pishy sheet if they're jaundice. :whistling:

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I think we need a sticky for this nonsense as it is relentless.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/8819199/waitrose-axes-racist-chocolate-easter-ducklings/

Seen any good ones recently you wish to share? They are not difficult to find.

Not difficult for you as you seem to spend a lot of time looking for things to be bothered by.

7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

And modernised due to Brexit, I think.

3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Not difficult for you as you seem to spend a lot of time looking for things to be bothered by.

:rofl:

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Banned the use of the word.  As Ebay now seem to allow the sale of teh items, it would seem it was the language and not the item that was offensive?  Either way, right or wrong, it's up to ebay and as it is there business they can do, more or less, what they want.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)