Solskjaer New Man U Manager

GYL

3 minutes ago, GYL said:

Good luck to him, nice guy hope he does well

Agree, don't think much of Man U but he seems to have got the team gelled again following the mess Mourinho left it in.

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Pressure now on. Not sure he'll cope.

Hard as feck for anybody with Pep at City

letsalldothebeattie

The only choice really. Came in and delivered well above anyone’s expectations. Delighted for him loves the club and clearly loving the job 

Seymour M Hersh
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Hard as feck for anybody with Pep at City

True but I was thinking when he arrived he was caretaker and things were in a mess. Nothing to lose and little expectation on him to win things. Had a great run but again there was no real pressure on him, he had his job back home to return to and even if it went south he'd still be a legend to their fans. Now he is the boss. Next season the board will demand trophy's and competing at the top of the league. Whole different ball game for him psychologically. I think he may struggle to cope. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Only time will tell if he is a success or not. 

Still in with a chance of the champions league. 

Realistically finishing 4th is the target. 

He needs backed by the board in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Agree, don't think much of Man U but he seems to have got the team gelled again following the mess Mourinho left it in.

Van Gaal interview with BBC was interesting.

I've seen some very defensive performances under Solskjaer e.g. Chelsea, Liverpool and PSG. While media praises him for 'bringing the attacking flair back'.

I think it is a bit of both including being more direct, Pogba further forward etc. But Van Gaal praises Mourinho for  creating the defensive strength. 

38 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

True but I was thinking when he arrived he was caretaker and things were in a mess. Nothing to lose and little expectation on him to win things. Had a great run but again there was no real pressure on him, he had his job back home to return to and even if it went south he'd still be a legend to their fans. Now he is the boss. Next season the board will demand trophy's and competing at the top of the league. Whole different ball game for him psychologically. I think he may struggle to cope. 

I agree with just think his job is even harder because of how City are doing.Also Woodward really has to get the finger out.Quite how a club the stature of Its fails to land so many of their targets is staggering while others make it look a lot easier.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I've seen some very defensive performances under Solskjaer e.g. Chelsea, Liverpool and PSG. While media praises him for 'bringing the attacking flair back'.

I think it is a bit of both including being more direct, Pogba further forward etc. But Van Gaal praises Mourinho for  creating the defensive strength. 

They looked poor defensively though under Jose.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Me neither. But he deserves the job 100%, the summer will be crucial. Needs to make quite a few signings there 

Edited by rudi must stay

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

that was a really good interview with van gaal link here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47704834

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

i have a feeling it might go the way the way of roberto di matteo's appointment at chelsea without the CL win

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Massive risk which won’t pay off. Has been lucky in, or lost, the difficult fixtures on his watch and has never built an elite team. Very naive to go for him.

29 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i have a feeling it might go the way the way of roberto di matteo's appointment at chelsea without the CL win

Caretaker managers often don’t work out after they are made permanent.  

Captain America

I like Ole and have enjoyed watching United under him.

Hope he is a success as it would be good for someone who gets a big job outwith the normal managerial merry go round ( Jose, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Bentitez) to make a go of it. 

I think because of his prior connection with the club that even if he doesn't win anything next season but the United hierarchy see the club are moving forward in the right way he won't be sacked.

It's a hunch but I think he may end up at United for a long time.  

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Massive risk which won’t pay off. Has been lucky in, or lost, the difficult fixtures on his watch and has never built an elite team. Very naive to go for him.

Pep Guardiola has never built an elite team either, so that reasoning doesn’t hold up right there. 

He’s also had hard luck with injuries to key players too. 

A no risk appointment for all involved. He’ll be given time to build a side that can challenge up there and do it in the “United way”. A better appointment than someone like Pochettino, who’s comments recently should cast doubt on whether or not he has the desire to win trophies. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
29 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Pep Guardiola has never built an elite team either, so that reasoning doesn’t hold up right there. 

A no risk appointment for all involved. He’ll be given time to build a side that can challenge up there and do it in the “United way”. A better appointment than someone like Pochettino, who’s comments recently should cast doubt on whether or not he has the desire to win trophies. 

Nah, you watch.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

They have not been close to winning the league for 6 seasons now.

Apart from Jose no other manager was giving time to build a team.

See no reason to think Solskjaer will do any better than the others.

He was clueless in the recent Arsenal and Wolves defeats and got lucky with the PSG game.

Top 4 is a must.If they fail that he is under pressure straight away.

William H. Bonney

I've never know such a fuss to be made over an appointment before. Honestly. Wall to wall ****ing coverage. 

Is there no other sports news worth reporting. 

7 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

This isn’t even an educated guess tbh.

You know absolutely nothing of the mental toughness of OGS.

Your post is nothing more than a hopeful toss of a coin that he fails.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, DH1986 said:

This isn’t even an educated guess tbh.

You know absolutely nothing of the mental toughness of OGS.

Your post is nothing more than a hopeful toss of a coin that he fails.

It's an opinion and I'm delighted you don't like it. 

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's an opinion and I'm delighted you don't like it. 

On what evidence have you managed to form this opinion though?

Edited by DH1986

Seymour M Hersh
14 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

On what evidence have you managed to form this opinion though?

What evidence do you have that it's either wrong or not viable to have?

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What evidence do you have that it's either wrong or not viable to have?

Having watched many a game during his time as a player......and seeing how he’s coped since taking the job,  I would suggest my evidence has a shitload more viability than the opinion you have plucked out thin air.

Now.....

You want to answer my question ?

Edited by DH1986

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Having watched many a game during his time as a player......and seeing how he’s coped since taking the job,  I would suggest my evidence has a shitload more viability than the opinion you have plucked out thin air.

Now.....

It was all in the original post. Tough shit if that's not enough.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It was all in the original post. Tough shit if that's not enough.

So it was based on nothing more than hope rather than any real evidence.....

Thought as much.

Phil Dunphy
1 hour ago, benny said:

They have not been close to winning the league for 6 seasons now.

Apart from Jose no other manager was giving time to build a team.

See no reason to think Solskjaer will do any better than the others.

He was clueless in the recent Arsenal and Wolves defeats and got lucky with the PSG game.

Top 4 is a must.If they fail that he is under pressure straight away.

Any pressure will be external.

There's no chance the United fans will turn on him.

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Now.....

I think most of us have seen him as a player and manager because Man Utd are never off the ******* tele. 

And most of us know you don’t play that many games for Fergie unless you have a mental toughness, but that does not guarantee anything as a manager. Look at Scholes and Neville, for example. 

42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think most of us have seen him as a player and manager because Man Utd are never off the ******* tele. 

And most of us know you don’t play that many games for Fergie unless you have a mental toughness, but that does not guarantee anything as a manager. Look at Scholes and Neville, for example. 

He’s been a manager for 10 years now.....I think he’s shown more than enough to date to say he has the mental toughness.

Left a cushy job as Manager of the Utd reserves to take the position at Molde where he won two league titles......took over at Cardiff....sacked and went back to Molde. Then had the confidence to take the reigns at Man Utd knowing full well how tough a gig it has become for bigger name managers than him.

Confidence and mental toughness does not appear to be a weak point in his armour.....no matter how much some are hoping.

Edited by DH1986

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He’s been a manager for 10 years now.....I think he’s shown more than enough to date to say he has the mental toughness.

Left a cushy job as Manager of the Utd reserves to take the position at Molde where he won two league titles......took over at Cardiff....sacked and went back to Molde. Then had the confidence to take the reigns at Man Utd knowing full well how tough a gig it has become for bigger name managers than him.

Confidence and mental toughness does not appear to be a weak point in his armour.....no matter how much some are hoping.

We know all that. 

I just assumed you had had more insight as evidence, that’s all. 

Finlay James
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Yip, spot on.  Solskjaer has the steel to cope with the pressure at Utd, there is no doubt about that.

I think those waiting for him to fail will be waiting a long time.  

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

We know all that. 

I just assumed you had had more insight as evidence, that’s all. 

Not everyone knows that........

All I’m pointing out is there is absolutely nothing that indicates the guy lacks the mental toughness for the job. It’s quite the opposite tbh.

The Old Tolbooth

You'd actually think no other team has appointed a manager before with all the fuss surrounding this appointment ffs, it's literally vomit inducing and I'm a bit surprised they went for the cheap option tbh, would love it to end in tears. 

Image result for kevin keegan love it

• 4 weeks later...

This could go very badly wrong for Solskjaer....looks like players have chucked it since he got the job full time....Pogba especially...

Unknown user

As I've said in other threads, there's nothing to suggest he'll be a success at this level. He got relegated at Cardiff and made poor signings, theres really no reason to think he'll be the new messiah at old Trafford except blind faith from man u fans longing for the old days. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 28/03/2019 at 11:53, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yup. Called it.