The up an coming Scottish players thread

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

With the misery of following the first team of Scotland, I thought I would start an optimistic thread. 

So put in here any player, not yet capped for Scotland, that looks good and could make it as a Scotland player.

So to start, a couple of Gilmours.

Billy Gilmour - an obvious one, as he comes with a lot of hype in the press. But seems to be justifying it at the moment. 17 year old attacking midfielder at Chelsea. Appears on the edge of getting into the first team. Has been a regular for Chelsea's under 23s and a key player. Seen by as one of the next ones to follow Callum Hodson-Odoi to the first team (or a loan to Germany perhaps.)

Charlie Gilmour - another midfielder, this time at Arsenal. Has already made his Arsenal debut in the Europa League and is on the fringe of the first team (currently away with the first team at a training camp in Dubai.) 20 years old. 

Add in any players. Hopefully this will keep going as a way of keeping a track on up and coming Scottish players.

There are a few promising players. 

Perhaps surprisingly Rangers youth are worth a look. Gilmour, Harry Cochrane, Craig Halkett and Liam Kelly as well as David Bates all ex Rangers and the McCrories both still there. 

Worth keeping a look out. 

Edited by Mikey1874

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There are a few promising players. 

Perhaps surprisingly Rangers youth are worth a look. Gilmour, Harry Cochrane, Craig Halkett and Liam Kelly as well as David Bates all ex Rangers and the McCrories both still there. 

Worth keeping a look out. 

Would agree with that.

Add in Mebude who Rangers rate really highly, Middleton as well has done well this season for Rangers.

Aberdeen have a few with Lewis Ferguson being the big one, also McLennon and Campbell.

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Mikey and jig positive as ever and the games a bogey. See if Hearts had signed Gauld jig would have had a semi.

Thanks for your input, have a nice day.

Rangers again

Zak Rudden on loan at Falkirk and Glenn Middleton

Rudden scored hatrick for Scotland U19s the other day. 

I was saving Mebude for later but mentioned above 

Edited by Mikey1874

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

With the misery of following the first team of Scotland, I thought I would start an optimistic thread. 

So put in here any player, not yet capped for Scotland, that looks good and could make it as a Scotland player.

So to start, a couple of Gilmours.

Billy Gilmour - an obvious one, as he comes with a lot of hype in the press. But seems to be justifying it at the moment. 17 year old attacking midfielder at Chelsea. Appears on the edge of getting into the first team. Has been a regular for Chelsea's under 23s and a key player. Seen by as one of the next ones to follow Callum Hodson-Odoi to the first team (or a loan to Germany perhaps.)

Charlie Gilmour - another midfielder, this time at Arsenal. Has already made his Arsenal debut in the Europa League and is on the fringe of the first team (currently away with the first team at a training camp in Dubai.) 20 years old. 

Add in any players. Hopefully this will keep going as a way of keeping a track on up and coming Scottish players.

The worrying thing about the boy Gilmour at Arsenal is by 20, you'd hope a player of that age would have played or be approaching around 100 first team games by now. I don't even think he's been on loan anywhere to get first team experience under his belt. 

loveofthegame
6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The worrying thing about the boy Gilmour at Arsenal is by 20, you'd hope a player of that age would have played or be approaching around 100 first team games by now. I don't even think he's been on loan anywhere to get first team experience under his belt. 

Not many 20 year olds are approaching 100 first team games!!!

16 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Jack harper and Ryan gauld are the new ronaldo and messi respectively. 

He's the Spanish one? Was going to suggest him but his name didn't come to me straight away

Bridge of Djoum
23 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Mikey and jig positive as ever and the games a bogey. See if Hearts had signed Gauld jig would have had a semi.

Image result for hibs crying

Samuel Camazzola
24 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Not many 20 year olds are approaching 100 first team games!!!

You'd be surprised. 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You'd be surprised. 

To be fair to him, pretty sure he missed a lot of last season with a bad injury

5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I don't get to follow the youth teams much (apart from on here), so this might be a silly question - but is there anyone in the U19s or U21s who you think should be in the full team?

10 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Jack harper and Ryan gauld are the new ronaldo and messi respectively. 

Jack Harper has signed a pre-contract with Getafe. Could be playing in the Champions League next season.

10 minutes ago, Darren said:

Jack Harper has signed a pre-contract with Getafe. Could be playing in the Champions League next season.

Would be surprised if mcleish actually knew anything about about him or any of the others that people have mentioned 

Angus Gunn, Gk, Southampton 

Ethan Hamilton, CM, Man Utd 

Tony Gallagher, LB and Harvey Whyte, RB/CM both Liverpool

Harvey St Clare, winger, George McEachran, Cm/AM both chelsea

Alex Crean, gk, Arsenal 

Josh Kerr, CB, Brighton

Kyle Cameron, CB/ LB, Owen Gallagher, midfield both Newcastle

Jay Fulton, midfielder, Swansea 

Quite a few have played for England at youth level but until they get to the first team there’s still a chance to steal them

jambo-rocker
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

System is broken, rip it up and start again and I include our academy.

I'm sorry what is wrong with our academy?

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

Karamoko Dembele.

Gid Scottish name that. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, cauther col said:

Angus gunn wants to play for Engerland

Was before, but is not getting picking for England despite great performances in the premier league so is giving him doubts.

Che Adams of Birmingham is eligible to play for Scotland, scored 21 goals in the Championship this season and wanted by many Premier League clubs.

Harvey Barnes is eligible for Scotland but no chance now that we will get him.

2 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

System is broken, rip it up and start again and I include our academy.

Good point. Where are the gifted talented youngsters in our team? As long as CL persists in digging up clapped out hulking players from other leagues instead of focussing on youth development it's unlikely to change. The biggest myth around is that CL has sorted out the academy. 

Inch Hearts
35 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Gid Scottish name that. 

So is Angus Gunn.  One is actually Scottish the other isn’t.

tokyowalnut

I'm surprised Liam Henderson hasn't been in a squad, I wonder if anyone has been to watch him?! Good to see the Arsenal lad getting a chance. I'd like to see what players have played 100 games by 20, I'm guessing that wont be a long list!

No shock to see a positive thread spoiled once again with negative comments. Have a day off eh?!

We have age group squads. U16, U17, U19, U21. So simple enough to look through these. 

But I do wonder if we also need a 'development squad'. Guys like Liam Henderson for example not in full squad. Difficult with all the rules on player availability. But also about finding players with the right attitude too. Could include youngsters. 

John McGinn is an example. In main squad and has played. But I don't think he is quite ready. But he could be a real leader in a couple of years. 

Edited by Mikey1874

hmfc_liam06

If only we had our very own Gareth Southgate to fast track some of these guys into the squad.

We need someone to come in with a proper long term plan, lay it out to the fans and stick with it.

Dreaming, of course.

rudi must stay

14 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

That young Man u midfielder looks good. Darren Fletcher type of player. 

McTominay, yes I reckon you are spot on with the Fletcher comment too. I predict he will be a regular for us and Man Utd for years to come

Guys like Gilmour I'm not sure. He likes the Hollywood pass, but can he graft like John McGinn, I'm not sure. Dembele looks exciting up front for Celtic's Ressrves

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If only we had our very own Gareth Southgate to fast track some of these guys into the squad.

We need someone to come in with a proper long term plan, lay it out to the fans and stick with it.

Dreaming, of course.

completely agree, we need to move away from having a scotland manager who has lots of experience (read old and ready to retire) and go for a younger manager with new ideas. I posted on another thread that someone like, neilson, alex neil, derek adams or even jack ross would be a step forward. And if we could include alex ferguson as some form of advisor that would help. One thing about feguson when he was man u manager i dont believe he let any of his scottish players pull out of a scotland squad like OF players

4 hours ago, Ribble said:

Alex Crean, gk, Arsenal 

Josh Kerr, CB, Brighton

Quite a few have played for England at youth level but until they get to the first team there’s still a chance to steal them

I follow Venezia on insta. (warmly received by their fans on holiday) Harvey St Clair has signed for them permanently. Along with Liam Henderson it is good to see young scottish players test themselves abroad.

Although he played for the youth teams. St Clair is pretty much English. London raised and never lived or played in Scotland.  

Guest Paul Allen
3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Gid Scottish name that. 

Some footballing family that, the Dembeles. You have Moussa who Celtic sold to Lyon recently, and Ousmane at Barcelona, and you also have Mousa who used to play for Spurs.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Paul Allen said:

Some footballing family that, the Dembeles. You have Moussa who Celtic sold to Lyon recently, and Ousmane at Barcelona, and you also have Mousa who used to play for Spurs.

All related? 

If so, that is something. 

Phil Dunphy

The problem isn’t actually the current crop of players at Scotland’s disposal. 

Northern Ireland, Wales and R.O.I all have a smaller pool of players to choose from and have qualified for major tournaments recently. 

Scotland have plenty of good players, the problem is the lack of desire to actually get to a tournament. 

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

All related? 

If so, that is something. 

Well one of them is Belgian, so...

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Well one of them is Belgian, so...

We're all European, Mr D. 

????

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

completely agree, we need to move away from having a scotland manager who has lots of experience (read old and ready to retire) and go for a younger manager with new ideas. I posted on another thread that someone like, neilson, alex neil, derek adams or even jack ross would be a step forward. And if we could include alex ferguson as some form of advisor that would help. One thing about feguson when he was man u manager i dont believe he let any of his scottish players pull out of a scotland squad like OF players

Won't touch the Scotland job, reputational risk v reward makes it an unappealing job to anyone with club ambitions.

Just need to look at the club careers of ex-scotland managers after they have managed the national team! The last one to have a better career after scotland than before was Alex Ferguson, since then you have had

Andy Roxburgh - Never managed at club level

Craig Brown - Won nothing at Preston, Motherwell or Aberdeen (even once lost out on the Dundee job to Jocky Scott!)

Berti Vogts - Never managed at club level after Scotland, spent 6 years in Azerbajan

Tommy Burns - Never managed a club after Scotland

Walter Smith - Ran back to sevco, doubt any other club would have taken him

Alex McLeish - 5 sackings then returned to Scotland job, 1 english league cup at Birmingham

George Burley - done nothing with Palace and then managed for 2 days in cyprus, nothing since

Craig Levein - Like Smith, returned to former club, unlikely to have found work at a higher level/another club the same size

Billy Stark - couple of lower division sides

Gordon Strachan - No clubs managed after scotland

Malky McKay - won't manage at club level again

Mcleish mk2 - He'll retire after this

20 minutes ago, red said:

The SFA need to reshuffle everything before we can ever get excited about our young talent again. 

Yup. The guys running the show have failed to show any ability to succeed. Fresh faces are needed before this potential golden generation is ruined. 

If we just look at english born players Gunn (if he could be convinced),  Mctominay, C. Gilmour, Hornby are all quality prospects. 

Scottish born players like B. Gilmour, Burke, Souttar, Paterson, McKenna, Lindsay, Bates and McGinn are looking good too. 

Then you have players like Fraser, Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong and perhaps Griffiths which have a bit more experience and are all capable of big performances. 

There is no reason other than managerial incompetence why with those players we can't reach the next tournament. 

Mcleish needs binned now and someone with a bit about them brought in. At this rate, we just need to get the monkey off our backs. To have seen Ireland go to pretty much every tournament despite barely having a domestic league and lacking clubs the size of Celtic, the huns, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen is unbelievably offensive (in that doncaster and co have retained their jobs). 

Irrespective of how we do in the games to come Doncaster and co must go. Its been a horrible time of absolute apathy run by that complete nonentity of a 'man' - since any actual man would have walked in utter embarrassment at his performance. 

Edit: Since Angus Gunn doesn't seem too keen to play for Scotland, who are our next best young keepers? Pls not Scott Bain. 

Edited by OTT

• 3 years later...
Jambo 4 Ever
On 26/03/2019 at 08:24, Ribble said:

Alex Crean, gk, Arsenal 

Josh Kerr, CB, Brighton

Angus Gunn could be a decent back up for Gordon