West Brom

Paolo

West Brom have sacked their manager. 

Seems a little harsh to me.   The Championship is one tough league. 

English football really is crazy and cut throat. 

Within minutes the race issue is brought to attention. 

West Brom were league favourites I think. Certainly up there. Its a difficult league but they are underachieving. 

maroonsgotop
5 minutes ago, Paolo said:

thought Darren Moore was doing a great job for them as well as being an inspiration for aspiring black managers. seems a crazy decision

Edited by maroonsgotop

Sexton Hardcastle

The info about wages to income the other day says it all. 

Mall these teams gamble the house on promotion and if it fails then they are ****ed. Much like Bolton over the past few years and imagine villa will be the next on the same slope which took Portsmouth, Charlton, Bradford, Sunderland etc

copa-mundial

Was shocked to see this when I got the notification on my phone. Moore was doing very well. 

It's the usual 'chasing the money' scenario. Not many games to go. Panic sets in. Sadly the manager loses his job. 

Just wonder now if they'll go back in for Steve Clarke?

Edited by copa-mundial

maroonsgotop

WBA are 4th top. not good enough apparently. remember Charlton being 5th top in the top flight and that was deemed "he's taken us far as he can" for Curbishly and he was sacked. that worked out well for Charlton?

4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The info about wages to income the other day says it all. 

Mall these teams gamble the house on promotion and if it fails then they are ****ed. Much like Bolton over the past few years and imagine villa will be the next on the same slope which took Portsmouth, Charlton, Bradford, Sunderland etc

I'm sure I read that Wolves lost £2m a week in their promotion season.

47 minutes ago, Paolo said:

"First-team coach James Shan will now take charge..."

:biglaugh:

Harry Potter

Football manager is a job you go in to knowing that you could get the sack if not winning.

Pretty sad case of the clubs though, but TBH they get paid plenty.

This is where i really dont care most of us survive on min wage and wee pensions.

Absolutely shocking decision.  Why would they decide to change the manager now, with 10 games remaining?

They are 4th and look nailed on for a play-off spot as things stand, so why not wait and see how things pan out in the play-offs before making a decision on the manager?

A new manager isn't going to get them into the automatic promotion places and it's not as if they are on a poor run and at risk of dropping out of the play off positions.  If anything, they are risking making the play-offs by making an unnecessary change at this time.

In the same week Aston Villa and Wolves both reported year end losses of £1 million a week and Derby not far behind with a £30 million loss. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

Absolutely shocking decision.  Why would they decide to change the manager now, with 10 games remaining?

They are 4th and look nailed on for a play-off spot as things stand, so why not wait and see how things pan out in the play-offs before making a decision on the manager?

A new manager isn't going to get them into the automatic promotion places and it's not as if they are on a poor run and at risk of dropping out of the play off positions.  If anything, they are risking making the play-offs by making an unnecessary change at this time.

Aye, be like folk wanting a manager sacked with a 3rd spot finish and a Scottish Cup final within grasp. Football fans eh?

Finlay James
27 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye, be like folk wanting a manager sacked with a 3rd spot finish and a Scottish Cup final within grasp. Football fans eh?

Thankfully, some owners don't just sack managers because of a few bad results or because of dim witted so called fans.  They take a long term view.

30 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

3rd spot? :laugh: steady, 5th at best. If we don't get to the Scottish cup final then it's a total failure considering the draw we've been given.

Another season of Levein is just fan cruelty honestly. The football is just non existent.

Mr Elwood P
13 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

3rd spot? :laugh: steady, 5th at best. If we don't get to the Scottish cup final then it's a total failure considering the draw we've been given.

Another season of Levein is just fan cruelty honestly. The football is just non existent.

I think we will be 3rd by the split. Win away at Hamilton and then beat Aberdeen at Tynecastle. Aberdeen will also drop points to either Livingston or Motherwell.

The Apprentice

The report says WBA are looking to have an appointment in before their game on Wednesday which to me sounds like they had someone lined up before they sacked him yesterday. I think that’s pretty poor in all honesty. 

Football manager must be great tho, even if you do absolutely dog shit you walk away with the remainder if your contract paid out. Then walk into an other job with a 3 year contract. Repeat until you retire. Its a win win.

8 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Thankfully, some owners don't just sack managers because of a few bad results or because of dim witted so called fans.  They take a long term view.

:spoton:

15 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

The report says WBA are looking to have an appointment in before their game on Wednesday which to me sounds like they had someone lined up before they sacked him yesterday. I think that’s pretty poor in all honesty. 

If I were an Albion fan I'd think it'd be pretty poor if they didn't have someone lined up with 10 games to go.

10 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Cathro? Had the whole season ahead of him to get 3rd and a SC final place :whistling:

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think we will be 3rd by the split. Win away at Hamilton and then beat Aberdeen at Tynecastle. Aberdeen will also drop points to either Livingston or Motherwell.

Do ye aye? 

Mr Elwood P
17 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Do ye aye? 

No, I'd forgotten about our trip to Ibrox. Looking at Kilmarnock's fixtures I'm pretty sure we will be 4th. I'd probably rather finish 5th and win the Scottish Cup just to screw Steve Clark out of a Europa League spot!

Would quite like football managers to be treated like players, clubs can only change them during a transfer window or something similar.  

What is the point in most clubs even entertaining the youth academys when so much pressure is on a coach to win every week, why would a coach even put faith in a kid when you can be sacked in a few games time.

4th in a highly competative league is not bad, look how many teams get relegated and then struggle.  They may still get promoted ffs.

Imo its the same with us, yes the football is poor but we have still got an opportunity to finish in europe and win a cup.   I dont disagree with levein going end of season but why a knee jerk reaction when there are few managers available at this time in a season.   

14 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

WBA are 4th top. not good enough apparently. remember Charlton being 5th top in the top flight and that was deemed "he's taken us far as he can" for Curbishly and he was sacked. that worked out well for Charlton?

Curbishley wasnt sacked. He saw out his contract and declined an extension. The club has never recovered.

Play Offs are interesting

Its out of reach getting automatic promotion for West Brom. They did have a chance but losing to Sheffield United and Leeds has done for them and then drawing with bottom club. 

West Brom clearly were targeting automatic promotion and want another manager for the Play Offs. 

37 minutes ago, Section Q said:

McInnes..........?

He will 100% be on their short list

Aberdeen have a replay on Tuesday so no move until later in the week ?........but you have to think there will be an interest in him...maybe Clarke as well

Mind you these days clubs often seem to have the replacement before the sacking

Edited by CJGJ

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No, I'd forgotten about our trip to Ibrox. Looking at Kilmarnock's fixtures I'm pretty sure we will be 4th. I'd probably rather finish 5th and win the Scottish Cup just to screw Steve Clark out of a Europa League spot!

If we win the cup I don't care where we finish in the league. Even then I'd like the cup final to be Leveins last in charge whatever the result. 

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

If we win the cup I don't care where we finish in the league. Even then I'd like the cup final to be Leveins last in charge whatever the result. 

Even if we finish 3rd or 4th and win the Scottish Cup? For that to happen we would have to won a lot of games between now and the end of May and I think ripping it all up would be a mistake. How many of the backroom staff and players would have to go alongside Levein?

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

He will 100% be on their short list

Aberdeen have a replay on Tuesday so no move until later in the week ?........but you have to think there will be an interest in him...maybe Clarke as well

Mind you these days clubs often seem to have the replacement before the sacking

How do you work out he is 100% on their shortlist? 

Very unlikely. Of course it could happen. But unlikely for McInnes to jump ship with everything to play for at Aberdeen. 

They are very likely to announce someone this week. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

How do you work out he is 100% on their shortlist? 

Very unlikely. Of course it could happen. But unlikely for McInnes to jump ship with everything to play for at Aberdeen. 

They are very likely to announce someone this week. 

Given he was on their short list the last time I think its a pretty fair bet he will be this time

Ex Albion player well thought of. He's mentioned on the bookies short list though of course that is not always the best source

No one truly knows bar a select few but then you don't know if he's not...opinions opinions.

I suspect as I said in the last post they already have someone in mind as seems to be the trend these days

Just one small poiint why would he not leave Aberdeen for WBA if he has personal ambitions to manage at the top level ? From Scotland he's likely to have to go to the championship prior to making any move to the EPL.

He did not join Sunderland but he spoke to them about moving and logically if asked he'd speak to WBA

Edited by CJGJ

Finlay James
4 hours ago, kila said:

Cathro? Had the whole season ahead of him to get 3rd and a SC final place :whistling:

Cathro had more than a few bad results

The Apprentice
6 hours ago, King prawn said:

If I were an Albion fan I'd think it'd be pretty poor if they didn't have someone lined up with 10 games to go.

Agreed but to do that they would have had to have gone behind the current managers back. You have Celtic fans moaning about Rodgers bailing on them and yet clubs are not exactly loyal to managers these days. Seems to be a run of 6 or so games with iffy results and the manager gets the boot, especially down south.

43 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Agreed but to do that they would have had to have gone behind the current managers back. You have Celtic fans moaning about Rodgers bailing on them and yet clubs are not exactly loyal to managers these days. Seems to be a run of 6 or so games with iffy results and the manager gets the boot, especially down south.

The Chairman has seemingly gone to China to discuss matters with the owners

Ex Fulham boss is rumoured as number one choice but they want to speak to others

This may mean nothing but there is an article re McInnes below

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-former-star-ready-to-take-west-brom-reins

Edited by CJGJ

4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Even if we finish 3rd or 4th and win the Scottish Cup? For that to happen we would have to won a lot of games between now and the end of May and I think ripping it all up would be a mistake. How many of the backroom staff and players would have to go alongside Levein?

The backroom staff can go no worries. Players will stay and some will go no matter what happens so that's not an issue.

If we finish 3rd and win the Scottish cup that would take a drastic change in how we're playing, you don't win cups and make up gaps in the league playing like us,  we scraped a win yesterday against a poor side but the performance was poor again.