• tartofmidlothian

• Bazzas right boot

Cupar Jambo
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wighton will come good in my opinion 

I agree, thought he did ok today

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
4 minutes ago, steven.dandy79 said:

hope i'm wrong but really cant see vanecek being a success with us, don't think our style of play is suited to him, obviously not seen a lot of him but he looks like a ball to feet type of player

I did say he should gtf if he doesn’t perform today..Having said that, he does need a solid run of games like any other player-Hartley was awful at first. He’s trying to acclimatise to the Scottish game and it is tough for a foreign player to adapt. Eskilsson apparently got 8 games before the boot. We should probably give the guy at least 5-10 first team starts before a judgement. I think we were anticipating a a world class player because we had rudi who was a world class Czech. Vanecek has made his own bed with the Instagram nonsense before he signed. If he is fit now, he has nowhere to hide.

1 hour ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I see an Uche Ikpeazu of a man,

He’s a brute, he’s a brute, he can do the Fandango 

Bobby Zlamal can save lightning 

Very very frightening 

Apologies 

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, gedster said:

Oh dear, read Uche's stats and edit your post

I don’t need to read his stats. I know he’s only got one league goal this season.

StevenNaismith

Vanecek is a weird signing for me, 100% NOT a striker that Levein likes to sign apart from his size. Levein wants grafters who will run all day, Vanecek doesn’t offer that and based on what I’ve seen of him so far I’m not really sure exactly what he does offer? For me we have a lot of players who apart from being grafters aren’t really good enough for where we want to be and the money we spend. Both Vanecek and Wighton I would say aren’t good enough, I’d also add in Godinho and Morrison from the team that started today. There’s a few more I could name but it’s all about opinions.

I wasn’t impressed with Wighton in his previous appearances but I thought he looked good today when he came on.

This lump it up front at every opportunity 

Are we coaching this? Surely no

So why are we still doing it?

You'd think as a player you'd hate it,  but we continue to do it. Game after game there's Boooo's,  Hearts social media is full of heart's punters slamming the tactics and boring football so as a manager/coach would you no set up no to play that way?????

I could understand it if we had a Sandy Clark up top or a De Vries but none of our forwards are very good in the air so why is it still happening? 

By the way I'm delighted we picked up 3 points away today

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

This lump it up front at every opportunity 

Are we coaching this? Surely no

So why are we still doing it?

You'd think as a player you'd hate it,  but we continue to do it. Game after game there's Boooo's,  Hearts social media is full of heart's punters slamming the tactics and boring football so as a manager/coach would you no set up no to play that way?????

I could understand it if we had a Sandy Clark up top or a De Vries but none of our forwards are very good in the air so why is it still happening? 

By the way I'm delighted we picked up 3 points away today

We have progressed from Sandy Jardine lumping it long to Sandy Clark with Berra lumping it long to Uche or Van. 

stirlingshirejambo
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

i agree I was quite impressed with his energy and confidence to take men on

7 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Vanecek is a weird signing for me, 100% NOT a striker that Levein likes to sign apart from his size. Levein wants grafters who will run all day, Vanecek doesn’t offer that and based on what I’ve seen of him so far I’m not really sure exactly what he does offer? For me we have a lot of players who apart from being grafters aren’t really good enough for where we want to be and the money we spend. Both Vanecek and Wighton I would say aren’t good enough, I’d also add in Godinho and Morrison from the team that started today. There’s a few more I could name but it’s all about opinions.

I agree about Vanecek. He’s shown the square root of **** all so far and no indication that he’ll be able to contribute. I think Wighton has skill but little heart and fight. I also think Godinho and Morrison have shown some potential but neither should be regular starters. 

Our major problem, though, is that we make no attempt at all to play football. Our style, if you can call it that, is completely unstructured, haphazard and without thought or composure. For all of Craig Levein’s experience it’s a disgrace that he is overseeing such a disorganised team.

Can't understand all this hero worship for Uche. Yes he's aggressive and enthusiastic but he can't score, pass or hold up and then lay off the ball. These are the basics for a big CF. Vanacek is increasingly looking like a dud . If you add in  Sammon to the equation, you get a good idea of how CL's mind works. 

11 minutes ago, Prof said:

Can't understand all this hero worship for Uche. Yes he's aggressive and enthusiastic but he can't score, pass or hold up and then lay off the ball. These are the basics for a big CF. Vanacek is increasingly looking like a dud . If you add in  Sammon to the equation, you get a good idea of how CL's mind works. 

Levein never signed Sammon. So actually you get a good idea how your mind works.

Edited by Notts1874

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Fully agree. He’s skilful and isn’t afraid to take folk on. 

1 hour ago, steven.dandy79 said:

hope i'm wrong but really cant see vanecek being a success with us, don't think our style of play is suited to him, obviously not seen a lot of him but he looks like a ball to feet type of player

Nobody’s seen a lot of him. In fact since he came in January. Nobody has hardly seen anything from him! 

Levein was DOF which means he was in charge of all footballing matters. The coach suggests signings but ultimate responsibility is the DOF.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I see an Uche Ikpeazu of a man,

He’s a brute, he’s a brute, he can do the Fandango 

Vanacek & Wighton

Very, very frightening

Looking like a pair duds to me!!

24 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Levein never signed Sammon. So actually you get a good idea how your mind works.

Levein was DOF and therefore in charge of all football matters including signings. The coach only suggests signings but hasn't the authority to make the signing. That's why CL was called director.

1 minute ago, Prof said:

Levein was DOF and therefore in charge of all football matters including signings. The coach only suggests signings but hasn't the authority to make the signing. That's why CL was called director.

Levein did not want to sign Sammon. You don't know how the system worked at Hearts do you? That much is obvious.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Prof said:

The final word, as confirmed by both Robbie and Cathro was with the head coach. 

You don't have to like it but them's the facts. 

2 minutes ago, Prof said:

Not correct. CL did not tell the manager what players to sign. CL’s job was to make sure the manager stuck to his budget. 

If anyone bumps into Ewen Murray in the Tynie Arms before a game ask him the story about the Sammon signing. Its a belter.......and no I'm not putting it on here before anyone asks ??.

tartofmidlothian
17 minutes ago, Prof said:

Not this old guff again.

colinmaroon
24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The final word, as confirmed by both Robbie and Cathro was with the head coach. 

You don't have to like it but them's the facts. 

Facts don't come into it in this case or any of his cases.

Enzo Chiefo

Wighton was another Ian Cathro protege from his eponymous training school. Will probably take time to adjust to the more direct style of play that we use.

Intrigued to know if this is true from some of the more ITK posters. I was at a family bash a couple of weeks ago and was told by one of our youth coaches that Vanacek was a Levein signing and nothing to do with our scouting department. Any substance to this? 

Edited by Jodami

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Intrigued to know if this is true from some of the more ITK posters. I was at a family bash a couple of weeks ago and was told by one of our youth coaches that Vanacek was a Levein signing and nothing to do with our scouting department. Any substance to this? 

I'd ask if it's a distinction worth making TBH, he's the manager so it's his responsibility one way or the other. He'll have plenty of contacts whose opinion he'll trust that aren't employed with the club, what difference does it really make?

Edited by Smithee

King Of The Cat Cafe
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I wasn't there but they were both shite. 

Am I doing this right ? 

I wasn't there, either, and I have not read any further down, but, yes, they were both shite.

Am I doing this right?

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wighton was another Ian Cathro protege from his eponymous training school. Will probably take time to adjust to the more direct style of play that we use.

Didn’t know he was in that school. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Didn’t know he was in that school. 

Yeah, he's from a big Dundee family though so he didn't go to United like the rest of them.

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Vanacek is a number 9 and needs service 

He could do with a John Colquhoun. 

5 hours ago, geomac said:

I  know I seen Bohemian Rhapsody recently but I read the topic as:

Vanacek and Wighton
Very, very frightening me.
(Galileo) Galileo.
(Galileo) Galileo,
Galileo Figaro

Garruchio oh oh oh

5 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

What are you basing your opinion on?

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What are you basing your opinion on?

I just think there's a good football player there who's had injury problems and when he came into our team at first we were going through a tough time with injuries and loss of confidence! He was rushed into the team because needs must and with the team playing with no confidence he lost his confidence aswell , I think team playing well and with confidence we'll see best of him 

13 hours ago, Morph said:

Doesn't take a performance today to know that Wighton will never be good enough to play for us regularly.  He's murder tbf.

Wow. Way to support players and give them a chance. He is still young suffered from injuries. It may turn out that he doesn't ultimately cut it at hearts but how you can make a sweeping statement based on a few games when the team was struggling is baffling.

King Joffrey

Uche: like his running and battling. But too much tracking back under Levein. Ends up looking like a MF. And then tiring in games. Plus giving away fouls by being seen to just 'charge around'. Not focusing enough energy on hurting teams offensively in the box where he's maybe only spending 5-10% of the game. Looks good rag rolling a full back but then has no one to cross to. Good player being misused.

Vanecek: nice touch and control and although hoofball is asking him to battle more than his previous club role, it has been disappointing to see there's hardly a warrior there. Agree hard to judge until we are supporting with proper wing play. His role before from video looked to be everybody else did the work outside the box and he was a one or two touch player finishing the moves in and around the 6 yard box. Not seeing much so far I wouldn't expect from a £50k journeyman signing from Hartlepool. Fearing a continental Cole Stockton.

Together: I don't like the look as a partnership as think they'd be doing similar things. Fans get excited cos of the doubling up of 6ft4 forwards but it can be easier for some defenders to nullify. We sorely lack a true centre forward with pace, a poacher, a low centre of gravity. Liam Boyce type. Even Zeefuik. But think levein only sees value in a forward if they are 6ft plus, can be involved in set pieces at both ends, track back, etc. A poacher goes against his values it seems despite a playing career watching Robbo.

Wighton. Mulraney; bringing nothing except one is 'a bit fast'. More projects. Clare is going to be a player and will develop more each week. But worry these two are at their plateau level. No other clubs were in for them. Outside the OF we should be hoovering up the best young talent in Scotland. Were these 2 it? Hastie at Well - we should have been in there, faster, before the bigger clubs. Obvious out of contract talent in a position we are struggling in.

Morrison: feel for the lad, not a winger, wasn't he a full back / wing back? Our 'European standard' youth set up doesn't seem to have a single winger ready to promote. Morrison now being criticised for his final ball and finishing. When he's a full back, I think, happy to be corrected.

Total dysfunctional forward set of players and tactics where we are employing long bangers and then shouting 'chase' to a set of forwards not playing to their strengths or natural positions. And if we do manage one goal in a game, their job is then to defend it.

We need better than this.

Torry Jambo

Yesterday,reminded me of schoolboy football.Play the big guys up front and try and lump the ball up to them and hope for the best.Morrison Is still learning his trade and IMO Is not nearly there yet and Djoum Is wasted when out wide.We need a couple of speedy,skilful wingers,to get the ball up the line and put some decent balls In,or good overlapping Full Backs and we have neither of the players mentioned.I would Imagine there are a few of these type of players In the lower Leagues,who would benefit from full time training and coaching,that may help our cause.As for Full Backs,I was quite Impressed with the lad playing at Left Back for Dundee.He had a bit of pace,looked comfortable on the ball and wasn't afraid to push forward.

scott herbertson
40 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

Uche: like his running and battling. But too much tracking back under Levein. Ends up looking like a MF. And then tiring in games. Plus giving away fouls by being seen to just 'charge around'. Not focusing enough energy on hurting teams offensively in the box where he's maybe only spending 5-10% of the game. Looks good rag rolling a full back but then has no one to cross to. Good player being misused.

Vanecek: nice touch and control and although hoofball is asking him to battle more than his previous club role, it has been disappointing to see there's hardly a warrior there. Agree hard to judge until we are supporting with proper wing play. His role before from video looked to be everybody else did the work outside the box and he was a one or two touch player finishing the moves in and around the 6 yard box. Not seeing much so far I wouldn't expect from a £50k journeyman signing from Hartlepool. Fearing a continental Cole Stockton.

Together: I don't like the look as a partnership as think they'd be doing similar things. Fans get excited cos of the doubling up of 6ft4 forwards but it can be easier for some defenders to nullify. We sorely lack a true centre forward with pace, a poacher, a low centre of gravity. Liam Boyce type. Even Zeefuik. But think levein only sees value in a forward if they are 6ft plus, can be involved in set pieces at both ends, track back, etc. A poacher goes against his values it seems despite a playing career watching Robbo.

Wighton. Mulraney; bringing nothing except one is 'a bit fast'. More projects. Clare is going to be a player and will develop more each week. But worry these two are at their plateau level. No other clubs were in for them. Outside the OF we should be hoovering up the best young talent in Scotland. Were these 2 it? Hastie at Well - we should have been in there, faster, before the bigger clubs. Obvious out of contract talent in a position we are struggling in.

Morrison: feel for the lad, not a winger, wasn't he a full back / wing back? Our 'European standard' youth set up doesn't seem to have a single winger ready to promote. Morrison now being criticised for his final ball and finishing. When he's a full back, I think, happy to be corrected.

Total dysfunctional forward set of players and tactics where we are employing long bangers and then shouting 'chase' to a set of forwards not playing to their strengths or natural positions. And if we do manage one goal in a game, their job is then to defend it.

Good post. Morrison isn’t a full back though - he played just off the main striker when he was loaned out, and was scoring for fun. Not a “hug the touchline” winger , but more of the John colqhuhon type

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Levein said when Vanecek signed he is a striker who likes to get on the end of the crosses and attack the ball. We haven't put one decent cross into the box in the games he has played and he is being hung out to dry at the moment. Lumping it up to him is no use whatsoever and he'd be as well not playing if this is how we are going to play. Took about 15 seconds of game time yesterday for the guys behind us to start ripping into him.

Wighton could be good for Uche and vice versa I think. He's a willing runner and could potentially make use of the space left when Uche has three defenders round him battling for a high ball. We were beginning to get caged in a bit when Wighton came on so he didn't get a real chance to show what he can do but he did show some little glimpses. Made a couple of decent runs on the ball and got taken out at least once.

All 3 of the strikers who played yesterday are guys who desperately need a goal. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, King Joffrey said:

Yep. 

And a small point: surely nobody is excited by the idea of two 6ft4 strikers playing together? Who are these Neanderthals? 

I’d like to see Uche and Keena have a game together (or even Vanecek and Keena)

I’ve only seen Wighton play once in the flesh this season so I’m not really in a position to judge. 

I notice most of the positive comments on Uche and Vanacek take the form of "if this happens or that happens" then they'll be great. Both are classic CL types, big, bustling and ideal for hoofball. That's not the way we should be playing. We need a good box to box midfielder (Cochrane) and fast nippy forwards. One carthorse up front maybe but two definitely not. Fact is under CL's tenure our forward line has resembled a recycling centre for duds.

i wish jj was my dad
10 minutes ago, Prof said:

I notice most of the positive comments on Uche and Vanacek take the form of "if this happens or that happens" then they'll be great. Both are classic CL types, big, bustling and ideal for hoofball. That's not the way we should be playing. We need a good box to box midfielder (Cochrane) and fast nippy forwards. One carthorse up front maybe but two definitely not. Fact is under CL's tenure our forward line has resembled a recycling centre for duds.

Since when was Vanacek bustling and Harry a box to box midfielder? We managed to beat your mob at the Giro without any carthorses up front. 

2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Since when was Vanacek bustling and Harry a box to box midfielder? We managed to beat your mob at the Giro without any carthorses up front. 

Another one who thinks that every Jambo that criticises CL  is a Hobo. You are factually incorrect with your comment on Vanacek and Harry. Incidentally for the other bright spark it's Hubz not Hubs.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Another one who thinks that every Jambo that criticises CL  is a Hobo. You are factually incorrect with your comment on Vanacek and Harry. Incidentally for the other bright spark it's Hubz not Hubs.

I don't think he was talking about every Jambo who criticises CL.  He was referring specifically to you.

I can only assume that those who think CL has Hearts progressing with the likes of Uche and Vanacek are either deaf to the groans in the crowd or don't actually watch the team.