Place names pronunciation

Maroon Sailor

I P Knightley
On 28/01/2022 at 20:11, joondalupjambo said:

Kilconquhar 

Kin-nukker, just sayin.

Locals eh, what can you do with them.

Ainster?? 

Why bother with all the letters in they order they're written in if you're not going to pronounce them properly?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Maroon Sailor

• Tazio

• Bridge of Djoum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, FWJ said:

A guy I know in Bathgate was asked for directions to ‘you-fil’.  Turns out the woman was going to Uphall.

I grew up in Uphall, and never heard it described other than UP - Hall.  But you are quite right, people from B gate call it yoofil or something.  They also call onions iyings or something similarly unpronounceable.  I blame all the knocks they received as teenagers when every other village in the region went to the steelyard on a Saturday night to show them who was boss.

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Ainster?? 

Why bother with all the letters in they order they're written in if you're not going to pronounce them properly?

St Minan's 😄

How about Piltin, Grantin and Roystin, as pronounced by those of us who lived there during my school years, compared to the correct Pilton, Granton and Royston.

2 hours ago, Wonfiveone said:

How about Piltin, Grantin and Roystin, as pronounced by those of us who lived there during my school years, compared to the correct Pilton, Granton and Royston.

Piltin and Grantin have an H in the middle Roystin uniquely has a T. 

47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Interesting you should say that, as when I lived in West Pilton and went to Craigmuir & Ainslie Park schools in the sixties I cannot remember anyone saying anything other than Pilton and Grantin. May be it is a generational or locational thing to my part of that area. I still refer to West Pilton as Piltin. 

5 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Interesting you should say that, as when I lived in West Pilton and went to Craigmuir & Ainslie Park schools in the sixties I cannot remember anyone saying anything other than Pilton and Grantin. May be it is a generational or locational thing to my part of that area. I still refer to West Pilton as Piltin. 

I was brought up in Granton and pronouncing the T correctly still sounds posh to me. Not sure about generational as I’m in my 50’s so it’s not a recent thing. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was brought up in Granton and pronouncing the T correctly still sounds posh to me. Not sure about generational as I’m in my 50’s so it’s not a recent thing. 

Must be a West Pilton thing from the sixties then. We used to get corrected all the time by our teacher at primary school for not speaking properly including mispronouncing where we lived. I am by late sixties now so maybe it is just my memory failing. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just got me saying them out loud to test it. :lol: Spot on though. Also Muirhouse. Can't say I've actually heard anyone pronounce it the way it really is. Always 'Moorhoose'. I've got a mate from down South who even says it so.

joondalupjambo

Largay as in Lower Largo, Upper Largo and the wider Largo area. Largay I ask you😄

Edited by joondalupjambo

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Largay as in Lower Largo, Upper Largo and the wider Largo area. Largay I ask you😄

Sounds a bit like Rathi (edit: and Balerni)

I belong East Cauther, up the road from us was Kirknitten.

Edited by Tommy Brown

joondalupjambo
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sounds a bit like Rathi (edit: and Balerni)

I belong East Cauther, up the road from us was Kirknitten.

I wonder if these were the original names and some posh English teacher came along, studied maps and thought I need to sort this😄

Nitten and Gorebrig.   Ermadale.     There's a lot of older  folk out my way (Lithgae area 😉 ) who refer to the river Avon and streets named after it as "Ah-von".  Weird.

I seem to recall some  posh folk refer to "Gillen"   instead of Gullane - as if it was uncouth to pronounce a "uh"

In Edinburgh. some folk refer to Stockbridge as "Stock-a-ree".  Weird.

In Aberdeenshire, I've heard Stonehaven referred to as  "Staney" 

Then there's the town of Strathaven in Lanarkshire, which is pronounce "Stray-ven".  Strange that the name of the town has "aven" in it, but the river that runs beside it is the Lanarkshire "Avon"  (tributary of the Clyde).

Hagar the Horrible

Athelstaneford in East Lothian I was told was pronounced as Ailston

Also  I pronounce East Lothian as east...Lothe..ean, But Midlothian as Midlo-Thian

in the same way as Postof-is or post-office

I do annoy people with Kirr-cud-bright and Ramsbottom as turps-arse

Oh and its Came-lynn  for Camelon

5 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Athelstaneford in East Lothian I was told was pronounced as Ailston

Also  I pronounce East Lothian as east...Lothe..ean, But Midlothian as Midlo-Thian

in the same way as Postof-is or post-office

I do annoy people with Kirr-cud-bright and Ramsbottom as turps-arse

Oh and its Came-lynn  for Camelon

This hurts my head even saying it to myself. 

Surely you're a minority of one of that?!?

Hagar the Horrible
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This hurts my head even saying it to myself. 

Surely you're a minority of one of that?!?

Naw I say it as oneword, with no mid-pause, but East and West Lothian i use them as seperate words, but i dont go Mid-Lo-thian

1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Naw I say it as oneword, with no mid-pause, but East and West Lothian i use them as seperate words, but i dont go Mid-Lo-thian

Gotcha, I actually say east Lothian almost the same as I say Midlothian. Almost like Eastlothian. West, I separate a bit more.

I thought you were saying it like quickly compressed two syllable words; Midlo-thian 😂

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Gotcha, I actually say east Lothian almost the same as I say Midlothian. Almost like Eastlothian. West, I separate a bit more.

I thought you were saying it like quickly compressed two syllable words; Midlo-thian 😂

I say them as one word

East, West and Midlothian

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Two places near me in Lanarkshire. Kilncadzow and Ravenstruther. Kilcaigie and Renstry 🤣🤣

Still lament the passing of the pie shop.

Has anyone mentioned longstone yet. 

Me and my faither both call it long-stun

Also Montague St EH8, pronounced Mon-taigey St