Scientist needed to explain!

Seats

I have been baffled by something for a while now and would appreciate an explanation:

I work in an office with an efficient air conditioning unit. The thermostat is set a comfortable 18? which is very pleasant as it is 36? outside. HOWEVER, during the winter, when it is around 10?-12? outside, 18? is way too cold! Why????

Similar situation with the bath. My bath in the winter is 40?-42? (I have a thermometer for my kids baths!) yet in the summer, 40? is way too hot and I can barely put my foot in it. This makes no sense to me!

Is this a psychological thing or is there a proper explanation? :wacko:

Incompetnce

Office first -

36 degrees outside and thermostat set to 18 on the AC, in which case you would probably be perspiring more than you would notice. The AC moves the air around the office which is essentialy like a small breeze, cooling you down. As this happens, the sweat evaporates from your skin cooling you down. The same thing happens (albeit on a small scale) if you lick you lick the back of your hand then blow on it. It's that sort of principle.

The Bath -

In winter I would assume your house is also a little cold (as everyone's is), as such the blood flowing around your body is generally more centralized than in summer when your blood vessels dilate to allow closer contact with the skin in order to cool you down (also a partial explanation for the previous question). As in Winter the vessels are further away from the surface this would allow for a period of getting used to the temperature, hence why it seems more comfortable. In comparison, in Summer the blood vessels are already at the surface so you are able to feel the temperature straight away.

Bear in mind I'm Plant Science based but this is as good an explanation as I could come up with.

Jimmy McNulty

Its because of the solar winds. And the orbits of Jupiter's moons. And global warming.

It's Miko's fault.

I heard it was Pinilla. Not only is he a wage thief but he's started stealing warmth as well.

:eek:

It is the exact same scientific theory as "if you wear your duffel coat inside then you won't get the benefit when you go out"

Relative perception.

Office first -

36 degrees outside and thermostat set to 18 on the AC, in which case you would probably be perspiring more than you would notice. The AC moves the air around the office which is essentialy like a small breeze, cooling you down. As this happens, the sweat evaporates from your skin cooling you down. The same thing happens (albeit on a small scale) if you lick you lick the back of your hand then blow on it. It's that sort of principle.

The Bath -

In winter I would assume your house is also a little cold (as everyone's is), as such the blood flowing around your body is generally more centralized than in summer when your blood vessels dilate to allow closer contact with the skin in order to cool you down (also a partial explanation for the previous question). As in Winter the vessels are further away from the surface this would allow for a period of getting used to the temperature, hence why it seems more comfortable. In comparison, in Summer the blood vessels are already at the surface so you are able to feel the temperature straight away.

Bear in mind I'm Plant Science based but this is as good an explanation as I could come up with.

An excellent explanation. Thanks! ;)

It is the exact same scientific theory as "if you wear your duffel coat inside then you won't get the benefit when you go out"

Relative perception.

That was my initial conclusion but I have categorically disproved this theory over teh past 6 months.

I thought it had something to do with a butterfly flapping it's wings in Paraguay or something. :-)

Relative perception.

What I would have said.

:thumb:

Incompetnce

Ta for the feedback guys, lets me know I'm still sharp 5 minutes after I wake up :P

I was pishing myself at the Steven Fry skit too :D

I would imagine humidity is also a factor.

Hot air holds more moisture which makes it feel much hotter, so even although the air inside the room is the same temperature, the air coming in from open windows etc will have more water vapour, so the room will feel hotter as a result.

Archived