What players do we need for next season?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

I know there's a long way to go in this one, and to be honest I like most of the guys in our squad, no-one there is undeserving. Our big problem is we're imbalanced in favour of promising young guys with no experience like Clare, Morrison, Mulraney, Godinho and Keena, and decent squad players who are good enough for our level but not enough to take us to the next like Lee, Maclean, Bozanic and Garuccio.

I would have said all we need are three or four, maybe five experienced players to bring a bit of steel, but the problem is with the experienced guys we've got. Djoum will be away, there are doubts about Naismith, Souttar has to be getting close to a big money move. We'll have to rebuild the team around a core of Berra and Uche.

On the bright side, we'll free up some wages when Sammon and Hughes go. I really like Bobby Zlamal and I'd keep him, but I think my first choice would be to try and sign Gordon as proper competition. Give Dikamona a new contract too, unless there are real doubts over his fitness. Who else do we need?

IMO we need a keeper, midfielder, 2 wingers. We need to start seeing these promising youngsters more. They’ll get a chance at Hearts? Let’s see em then. 

We need 2 new keepers, 2 new fullbacks, another centre half, a CM to replace Djoum, 2 wingers and a striker/forward to replace Naismith.

OUT - Maclean, Hughes, Dikamona, Mulraney, Shaughnessy, Djoum/Naismith (wont renew), Mitchell.

Guys like Garuccio and Bozanic are okay as back up but quite honestly not good enough to push us forward.

Would like to see the backbone of the team next season being new GK (Gordon?), Souttar, Cochrane, Uche.

It's a good question. 

Players to get to next level. Attitude too. 

Too many players seem to go through the motions. 

Just now, Mort said:

We need 2 new keepers, 2 new fullbacks, another centre half, a CM to replace Djoum, 2 wingers and a striker/forward to replace Naismith.

OUT - Maclean, Hughes, Dikamona, Mulraney, Shaughnessy, Djoum/Naismith (wont renew), Mitchell.

Guys like Garuccio and Bozanic are okay as back up but quite honestly not good enough to push us forward.

Would like to see the backbone of the team next season being new GK (Gordon?), Souttar, Cochrane, Uche.

Agree

The latter named players have the right attitude.

Clare looks promising. We're a bit away from the next lot of youngsters coming through. Guys like Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton might still be a bit away. 

I actually believe we have to players within Hearts to do well. Granted there are a few I'd get rid, Olly Lee for one, but our style of play doesn't suit the players we have. Take Berra for instance. Brilliant defender but he's been asked to get the ball forward and we all know what happens. We lack width, but our play doesn't support this as we don't move the ball fast enough to bring players into play. We're slow and predictable and we're trying to play the way we did at the start of the season which currently isn't working. Everyone now knows how to play Hearts, out tactics have been found out. Unfortunately our couching staff don't know how to change it. Last nights sub was a prime example. 

Hampden Demolition

A goalkeeper.

A left back.

At least one creative centre midfielder.

2 wingers.

A striker if Naismith goes.

A centre back.

we also need to get Keena, Cochrane and McDonald more involved in the first team.

punt;

Doyle

Shaughnessy

Wighton 

Hughes

Mulraney 

MacLean

Edwards

Martin

That would leave us with a decent squad;

Zlamal, New GK

Smith, Brandon, Godhino

Berra, Souttar, Dikamona, New CB

Garuccio, New LB, Burns

Clare, Djoum (if he stays), Lee, Cochrane, Bozanic, Haring, 2 new CMs.

Morrison, McDonald, 2 new wingers

Uche, Vanecek, Naismith (if he stays), Keena.

Keeper

Creative, goalscoring midfielder.

A striker who doesn't need to do anything other than be a good instinctive goalscorer.

Left back

Natural winger

Aside from that I hope we keep most of the squad together. We do have some dead weight to shift but if the team who played against Partick had a goalscorer and a creative midfielder we would have put them to the sword within 30 minutes.

Jambof3tornado

We've had plenty players through the doors but are still in transition. That only changes when Craig steps down.

I think I would answer this post by saying as well what players do we need for next season is what players on the staff do we not need for next season, last night I heard the fans singing briefly Olly, Olly Lee, why? get rid, I think that of the players that we have just now, the amount of them with a big question mark against them is into double figures, the manager and his staff are surely on a shoogly peg, if we get bumped out of the cup and don't make the top four then it's surely time up for most of them and if things don't change for next season then I predict big gaps on the terracing.

OmiyaHearts

I actually think we have a decent squad but maybe lacking some quality wide players. We need a management team who can get the best out them and have a plan B when things aren't going well.

Uche and a forward that plays facing the goal would be a very strong partnership.

Djoum and Haring in centre midfield would be one of the best partnerships in the league.

Centre backs not launching the ball and playing to Haring to then build up play would allow us to retain possession, rather than Berra giving it away all the time.

Natural wide players who know how to play their position would also be a massive improvement.

We have the players, just lacking the guys who can send out a motivated and organised side.

tartofmidlothian
8 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

A goalkeeper.

A left back.

At least one creative centre midfielder.

2 wingers.

A striker if Naismith goes.

A centre back.

we also need to get Keena, Cochrane and McDonald more involved in the first team.

punt;

Doyle

Shaughnessy

Wighton 

Hughes

Mulraney 

MacLean

Edwards

Martin

That would leave us with a decent squad;

Zlamal, New GK

Smith, Brandon, Godhino

Berra, Souttar, Dikamona, New CB

Garuccio, New LB, Burns

Clare, Djoum (if he stays), Lee, Cochrane, Bozanic, Haring, 2 new CMs.

Morrison, McDonald, 2 new wingers

Uche, Vanecek, Naismith (if he stays), Keena.

Good post, I agree. I'd have Gordon as the new GK and Halkett as the new CH. One of the new CMs will be a replacement for Djoum and we'd need a new FW in place of Maclean. Maybe two if Naismith goes.

All of these should be guys with experience, no punts unless they come with a big reputation. I wonder if we're still interested in Adam or Fletcher?

Dagger Is Back
16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a good question. 

Players to get to next level. Attitude too. 

Too many players seem to go through the motions. 

And the thing is Mikey that CL has talked about the right person with the right mentality and the need to fit into the team.

Clearly the team haven’t got this right for a number of our current squad 

tartofmidlothian
14 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

I think I would answer this post by saying as well what players do we need for next season is what players on the staff do we not need for next season, last night I heard the fans singing briefly Olly, Olly Lee, why? get rid, I think that of the players that we have just now, the amount of them with a big question mark against them is into double figures, the manager and his staff are surely on a shoogly peg, if we get bumped out of the cup and don't make the top four then it's surely time up for most of them and if things don't change for next season then I predict big gaps on the terracing.

I agree with you about a cup final and 4th place being essential, with the run and the squad we have. I think there's a place for squad guys like Lee though. Our out of contract players like Sammon, Hughes, Shaughnessy, Mitchell and possibly Djoum, Dikamona or Naismith will free up money, but I hope we keep a couple of them.

Edited by tartofmidlothian

Keep Berra, Brandon, Souttar, Dikamona, Clare, Harring, Uche and the best kids (Harry inc).

Punt the rest.

Personally I don't think the squad is overly bad when we're at full strength. Earlier part of the season demonstrated that. An issue is a lack of depth, when we lose key players we don't have enough quality back up and the team becomes massively weakened.

Granted we won't be able to go out and sign another 3 players of Naismiths ability but the likes of Uche being out made life tough for us with a lack of depth up front.

See it said a lot on here as well but we lack real quality out wide and have done for a while, playing central players as left and right midfielders is frustrating to watch. Djoum is such an asset when he is on form and playing through the middle but when we stick him out on the right he is as effective as Cowie was out there too...

David McCaig

We need:

GK - Zlamal but probably need better

RB - Fairly well covered here

LB - REQUIRED as Levein seems to criminally underrate Garuccio

CB - Berra

CB - Souttar

DM - Haring... Bozanic should only ever be used as back up

CM - REQUIRED on the assumption that Djoum goes

LM - REQUIRED 

RM - REQUIRED

CF - UCHE

CF - REQUIRED as Levein clearly doesn't rate Vanecek

So in summary as a bare minumum we need a LB, CM, LM, RM and a target man, probably a GK as well.

merseyjambo

The wish list will always include the same things.

The problem is things won’t change until there broom sweeps out the coaching staff and chief scout.

Next season? we've needed a left-back since 2016. Garuccio is good enough but not obviously rated. For me, Greg Taylor at Kilmarnock. Most solid left-back I've seen this season.

Geoff the Mince

I think a decent manager would get more out of this squad . A lot of the players seem to have little freedom to express themselves . Certainly a few additions would be welcome but not a complete overhaul .

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Ones that get in the box. Ones that shoot. Ones that cross. Ones that score. Ones that care. Ones that leave it all on the pitch. Ones that will excite us and not frustrate us

1 hour ago, feedthefox said:

Keep Berra, Brandon, Souttar, Dikamona, Clare, Harring, Uche and the best kids (Harry inc).

Punt the rest.

?

2 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I think a decent manager would get more out of this squad . A lot of the players seem to have little freedom to express themselves . Certainly a few additions would be welcome but not a complete overhaul .

I've been saying that for almost two years. I think the coaches restrict players, don't give them the freedom to express themselves and are told to stay in certain areas. It's all too zonal for me. I also think they look a lot less fitter than other clubs' players so maybe the coaches are more interested in set-piece situations than trying to beat teams by attacking them. It's no wonder so many drop their standards from when they first arrive. And not just this seasons squad. Players always looked bored after a few months, give up and I think a fresh new management/coaching set-up is needed. There's been too many players brought in yet it all seems to stay the same.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ones that get in the box. Ones that shoot. Ones that cross. Ones that score. Ones that care. Ones that leave it all on the pitch. Ones that will excite us and not frustrate us

You mean a team that reflects the energy and desire given by its fans who go above and beyond constantly over many bloody years ?!???

Unlikely ????????

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, GavK1012 said:

You mean a team that reflects the energy and desire given by its fans who go above and beyond constantly over many bloody years ?!???

Unlikely ????????

Tis but a dream 

:sob:

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We've had plenty players through the doors but are still in transition. That only changes when Craig steps down.

Definitely.

It's a change in management that's needed.

Djoum and Naismith to sign on, a left back, two wingers and another forward unless Vanacek gets his finger out.

Wide midfielders who actually want to play there, a left back, a forward and a keeper. Those are the priorities for me. Equally important is getting rid of the deadwood we seem to accumulate so easily. We should have a squad of 22 max. 

But playing a consistent system is just as important. We need to pick one and then find players that suit it. 

Calebs Grandad
42 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Is anyone confident in giving Levein more money to recruit players in the summer? 

I think he needs to cut away the ones that are obviously of no benefit to us, McLean, Hughes etc and obviously see if Naismith will leave. We then must get 4 or 5 new additions to the squad. We most likely will need to spend but I wouldn’t grudge that as long as he’s removed the above. 

Losers and duds out, winners in please.

So many players I would love to see move on:

Doyle

Zlamal

Brandon

Godhino

Garuccio

Bozanic

Sammon

Hughes

Mulraney

Martin

Mclean

Edwards

Burns

Currie

And obviously Levein to leave with my best wishes and his 2 hopeless sideckicks.

I will have missed people out. Another wholesale overhaul required. Brutal.

Geoff the Mince
53 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I've been saying that for almost two years. I think the coaches restrict players, don't give them the freedom to express themselves and are told to stay in certain areas. It's all too zonal for me. I also think they look a lot less fitter than other clubs' players so maybe the coaches are more interested in set-piece situations than trying to beat teams by attacking them. It's no wonder so many drop their standards from when they first arrive. And not just this seasons squad. Players always looked bored after a few months, give up and I think a fresh new management/coaching set-up is needed. There's been too many players brought in yet it all seems to stay the same.

Yeah i've also been the same for a few years , the players look more bored/fed up in  each passing game . Even if we did win the cup i still want him and his coaches gone . I would of hoped by now that Budge would have the ear of a few involved in football outwith Levein . 

rudi must stay

Box to box midfielder.

New winger (preferably who can play on both sides)

A striker who knows where the goal is

And another Milinkovic who can cut in with pace would be nice too

That aside the team is ok. You can always improve the team, two strong experienced wing backs for example but you can't be greedy and all of the above would make us much a stronger team

3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Another huge overhaul. Players and management.

I don’t think we need an overhaul of players. We have a good squad but we need a better system, if that means a new manager then so be it.

We definitely need a couple of good wide players though and a replacement for Naismith. As great as he’s been for us, I wouldn’t take the chance of signing him on a permanent deal, given the problems he’s had with his knee this season.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Definitely.

It's a change in management that's needed.

I'm a staunch Levein supporter but his lack of speed in changing things is starting to really grate on me. I love the way he deals with some things but thats not enough.

A new guy to take us forward not sideways please.

Finlay James

We need a few tweaks but the current squad is not bad.  I think we need:

New GK, ideally experienced 

New LB to replace Garuccio.  Aaron Hickey is, from what I hear, close to a start so things may depend on how he handles 1st team football

Midfield needs the most tweaks but the answer may not be too far from home.  Cochrane, McDonald are more than capable of playing 15-20 games a season right now and behind them, Connor Smith will likely be making the bench next season.  I think we need at least one Quality midfielder in the 20-25 age category as for me, Lee and Bozanic won't take us any further forward.

We need one winger and a wide midfielder.  If we are only going to play with one winger, at least having someone who is comfortable being out wide to complement on the other side will give us balance.

Strikers wise, I think it depends on what Naismith does.  As it stands, next season, we will have Ikpeazu, McLean, Keena, Vanecek, Currie & Henderson to choose from.  If Keena in particular develops well, we may not need to replace Naismith with like for like but a lot will also depend on the likes of Currie and Henderson and whether they are at the standard we need.

Above all, I just want us to play with players in their correct position and a team that has clear instructions and know their jobs inside out.  

Belief, creativity...

A goalkeeper, left back and a winger.

I think the rest are good enough for a decent manager to improve upon.

A new keeper with bobby as back up.

Better left back so Garuccio is back up.

A new centre half, like the idea of Halkett.

2 new central midfielders are a must to go along side Cochrane and Haring.

2 wide players that aren’t scared to dribble and shoot/cross.

maybe a centre forward depending on how good Vanacek is. 

apart from that, not a lot really.