U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I reckon if the American public see images like this it will be the end of him. Though of course the tinfoil hat wearers will always deny facts as conspiracy. 

4923E747-33CB-4E14-A510-E3B5CB22F609.png

Correct. This is because "we're doing way more testing than any other country", even though that's a complete fabrication.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mac_fae_Gillie
53 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Correct. This is because "we're doing way more testing than any other country", even though that's a complete fabrication.

Actually the fact they are testing more does mean a spike in cases but the opening up of States will increase the spike(make it pointy) question is if early detection of cases will reduce what will be a 2nd wave as there is not going to be another full scale lockdown so the potential for a bigger wave is real after all the 1st was started with a few hundred visitors this is starting with 200K plus in the comminity. Only the hospital admittance and death toll will be the real indicators.

53 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Actually the fact they are testing more does mean a spike in cases but the opening up of States will increase the spike(make it pointy) question is if early detection of cases will reduce what will be a 2nd wave as there is not going to be another full scale lockdown so the potential for a bigger wave is real after all the 1st was started with a few hundred visitors this is starting with 200K plus in the comminity. Only the hospital admittance and death toll will be the real indicators.

They're not seeing a second wave, as their top epidemiologist Dr Anthony Fauci has been pointing out, they still haven't contained the first wave. Florida is reporting not just record infection levels but increasing levels of infections. As are other states.

New York is quarantining people from Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah. All of which have increasing levels of infections. While the genius Trump has just had one of his whoop fests in Arizona on Tuesday and I believe one is planned for Florida.

The perfect storm is brewing.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I see no way back for Trump, he's a spent force. Now while it's not impossible for him to still be re-elected it currently appears highly unlikely. With the main doubts of him being ousted focusing around fears based on little more than the fact he was elected the first time when no one thought it possible.

I see that as an anomaly that simply wont be repeated. Even the blindest of the blind are now beginning to see that this freak show is dangerous. They have all had their laugh a large part of which was simply an up yours directed at Hillary Clinton.

It was noted in the 2016 campaign that he was not just less than statesmanlike  but at times scarcely sane with his tangential rambling. But many people even media commentators who opposed him thought it's probably just an act. He will be different in office. Will become serious and try to learn the job. 

But that didn't happen. Trump is not multi faceted. What you see is what you get. Always. And now it's time to get serious. You can't run a major nation on conspiracy theories. The joke is no longer funny and the Bolton book is just one line of evidence illustrating what a disaster this idiot is.

A disaster it's going to take years to recover from and a disaster which if it continues into a second term may never be recovered from.

The most interesting thing about it is going to be the meltdown if the bad polling maintains and perhaps becomes even worse. The rats will begin to desert the proverbial sinking ship in droves.

All claiming they always knew he was a deranged nutcase but were simply hanging in there trying to reduce the damage for the good of the country. Plus once the shield of office is gone there will be no ability to constantly hinder investigation of questionable and even criminal activity.

Trump enablers are already in jail even while he is still in office. Just some examples.

Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen: Received a three-year prison sentence in Dec. 2018 for tax evasion, bank fraud, lying to Congress and campaign finance violations.

Roger Stone: Sentenced to 40 months in prison for crimes that include obstruction of justice, lying to Congress and witness tampering. A federal jury convicted Stone last year after he lied to Congress about his efforts to learn more about when WikiLeaks would publish damaging emails about Hillary Clinton during the 2016 presidential election.

And that's just a sample. Picture the panic of those still enabling as the ship sinks lower in the water. It's going to be a glorious sight.

Cracking read 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

They're not seeing a second wave, as their top epidemiologist Dr Anthony Fauci has been pointing out, they still haven't contained the first wave. Florida is reporting not just record infection levels but increasing levels of infections. As are other states.

New York is quarantining people from Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah. All of which have increasing levels of infections. While the genius Trump has just had one of his whoop fests in Arizona on Tuesday and I believe one is planned for Florida.

The perfect storm is brewing.

Exactly, this is still the first wave, the US missed the chance to bring it under control by opening things up way way too early.

Whilst Arizona's hospitals struggle to treat the victims of Covid-19, Trump whilst in Arizona was more interested about the great stock market numbers & making stupid quips about 'Kung Flu', to much cheering from his adoring brainless drones.

You have to hope that everyone not in Trump's hardcore base can see through this dangerous charlatan and vote this tw@t out.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, this is still the first wave, the US missed the chance to bring it under control by opening things up way way too early.

Whilst Arizona's hospitals struggle to treat the victims of Covid-19, Trump whilst in Arizona was more interested about the great stock market numbers & making stupid quips about 'Kung Flu', to much cheering from his adoring brainless drones.

You have to hope that everyone not in Trump's hardcore base can see through this dangerous charlatan and vote this tw@t out.

Tell you what I think makes it even worse which is why I said the perfect storm is brewing. I doubt they can now get this under control before the flu season begins. A double whammy coming their way in a few months time.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Tell you what I think makes it even worse which is why I said the perfect storm is brewing. I doubt they can now get this under control before the flu season begins. A double whammy coming their way in a few months time.

Similar was mentioned by a doctor on CNN this morning, he didn't think they would get things under control before the flu season begins either, which tbh is only 3-4 months away.

If Canada stumps up for a wall on their southern border, I'm sure the rest of the world will gladly pitch in for a lid.

Seal 'em up.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Similar was mentioned by a doctor on CNN this morning, he didn't think they would get things under control before the flu season begins either, which tbh is only 3-4 months away.

Haven't seen anyone else mention that yet though obviously I can't be the only one thinking about it. Just made me think of something else. The confusion and flooding of medical resources when the flu season does begin.

As far as i'm aware flu symptoms have a similarity to early stage covid symptoms. How can we tell what we have? There are going to be million of flu cases all flooding doctors and hospitals wondering what it is.

In normal times you would just be like aw feck it I have flu get me a lemsip without bothering about hospital visits.

Just now, Smithee said:

Jesus, he's going to cancel the election isn't he?

I think there's a distinct possibility he will try but don't know if he could get away with such an obvious stunt.

More members of his campaign staff quarantined, two more Secret Service agents quarantined. Meanwhile Trump is on his way toWisconsin to speak, will be having a Town Hall meeting with Hannity of Fox news. Expect some tough hard hitting questions from Hannity if his mouth can be surgically removed from where he is kissing Trumps ass.

Some of his faithful in the Senate getting a bit nervous as Trumps  base is dropping in their electoral areas, they realise they need Trumps base for their own election hopes. We'll see if they love and respect him so much that they will go down with the sinking ship. Of course they must know what are the first thing to desert a sinking ship.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

More members of his campaign staff quarantined, two more Secret Service agents quarantined. Meanwhile Trump is on his way toWisconsin to speak, will be having a Town Hall meeting with Hannity of Fox news. Expect some tough hard hitting questions from Hannity if his mouth can be surgically removed from where he is kissing Trumps ass.

Some of his faithful in the Senate getting a bit nervous as Trumps  base is dropping in their electoral areas, they realise they need Trumps base for their own election hopes. We'll see if they love and respect him so much that they will go down with the sinking ship. Of course they must know what are the first thing to desert a sinking ship.

What's the odds he'll make it til the election, Sharpie? 

I think he'll be gone in a matter of weeks. 

Edited by ri Alban

If karma were real we should be treated to the spectacle of Trump contracting the virus and lying comatose in an ICU. Then the rats really would begin deserting the sinking ship while Captain crazy isn't on the bridge.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If karma were real we should be treated to the spectacle of Trump contracting the virus and lying comatose in an ICU. Then the rats really would begin deserting the sinking ship while Captain crazy isn't on the bridge.

:greatpost:

jambosean75
29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

you'd then have Pence as president which might be an even scarier option

6 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

you'd then have Pence as president which might be an even scarier option

I just can't envisage anything being scarier than Trump. Screaming Lord Sutch would be preferable. Trump might actually be an acolyte of his but without the intelligence. Isn't that a younger Trump to the right in this pic?

Screaming_Lord_Sutch.jpg 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

What's the odds he'll make it til the election, Sharpie? 

I think he'll be gone in a matter of weeks. 

I have said for some time I didn't think he would finish his first term, I have wavered but never really given up on that prediction. When people like Lindsey Graham are quoted saying things like "its been a bad two weeks" , and you look at the disheveled state of Trump coming off the aircraft, jacket unbuttoned, tie loosened, face like a well skelped erse, you have to think "have a nice day" was not what he wanted to hear. 

On 24/06/2020 at 03:41, chuck berrys hairline said:

The noose found at Talladega at the weekend was just a pullcord for the shutter door. Fbi investigates and closes the case. The left are thick asf and all that stramash and posturing for nothing. Terrance just put the video interview up. Bubba Wallace has alot to answer for i think he manufactured all this along with blm

Yep, no idea why someone at Nascar thought this was a noose, obviously just a pullcord. Just an overreaction from Nascar/Wallace/BLM....

Edited by PortyJambo

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I reckon if the American public see images like this it will be the end of him. Though of course the tinfoil hat wearers will always deny facts as conspiracy. 

4923E747-33CB-4E14-A510-E3B5CB22F609.png

Trump's response to that chart:

1. That's fake news

2. The media is biased

3. I saved millions of lives by banning travel from China

4. It's China's fault

5. If people had followed my advice about injecting bleach, this wouldn't have happened.

6. I know more about diseases than most people, including doctors

7. Obama left me with a mess

22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Trump's response to that chart:

1. That's fake news

2. The media is biased

3. I saved millions of lives by banning travel from China

4. It's China's fault

5. If people had followed my advice about injecting bleach, this wouldn't have happened.

6. I know more about diseases than most people, including doctors

7. Obama left me with a mess

8. it is only that high because we are testing more than everyone else

9. Kung Flu

10. Lock her up

I sometimes wonder why he actually wants to be re-elected. Get out of the White House and he could watch TV news to his hearts content instead of the mere 7 hours a day the Bolton book reports he currently watches. Could tweet round the clock uninterrupted.

Nobody trying to get you to read stuff and so on. I wonder what the attraction is. And the only thing I can think of is his witless rallies. Where an ego maniac like him can waffle the most witless shite any man ever waffled and the witless crowd whoops away.

I often wonder too is he actually grasps that he's a laughing stock. It's been noted for decades that being laughed at is what most irks him. That goes back to the early New York days when he was a laughing stock among the proper real estate guys there and he knew it.

He certainly doesn't seem to grasp that you can only talk the utter shite to the witless buffoons at the rallies and be cheered on. Doesn't seem to grasp that normal people will laugh at you.

Here's the classic example of that. He goes into his utter shite at the UN and seems stunned at the reaction. This must have cut such a fragile ego to the bone.

Marty Byrde

Trump really has had a worldwide collection of hysterical obsessives eh. 

You can't take that away from him.

:laugh:

25 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

His greatest achievement, I would say.  He's certainly been shite as POTUS.

Hypothetically speaking of course, but if Covid hadn't happened, how do people think he would've done in the next election?

22 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hypothetically speaking of course, but if Covid hadn't happened, how do people think he would've done in the next election?

Hard to say. His mental deterioration would have continued no matter what and I'm sure he'd have made some other error or other.

A couple of hundred thousand preventable deaths will certainly harm his chances.

But then the voting public are thick as feck.

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I sometimes wonder why he actually wants to be re-elected. Get out of the White House and he could watch TV news to his hearts content instead of the mere 7 hours a day the Bolton book reports he currently watches. Could tweet round the clock uninterrupted.

Nobody trying to get you to read stuff and so on. I wonder what the attraction is. And the only thing I can think of is his witless rallies. Where an ego maniac like him can waffle the most witless shite any man ever waffled and the witless crowd whoops away.

I often wonder too is he actually grasps that he's a laughing stock. It's been noted for decades that being laughed at is what most irks him. That goes back to the early New York days when he was a laughing stock among the proper real estate guys there and he knew it.

He certainly doesn't seem to grasp that you can only talk the utter shite to the witless buffoons at the rallies and be cheered on. Doesn't seem to grasp that normal people will laugh at you.

Here's the classic example of that. He goes into his utter shite at the UN and seems stunned at the reaction. This must have cut such a fragile ego to the bone.

I'm sure it wouldn't take a genius to work out a plan of attack for the televised presidential debates that would result in Trump's head exploding. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm sure it wouldn't take a genius to work out a plan of attack for the televised presidential debates that would result in Trump's head exploding. 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

You would think so, could probably do it myself and obviously i'm no expert in the field. Simply start it off with the Trumpets claim during the last election campaign that "the whole world is laughing at us"

That wasn't true but it is now and the UN incident is just one classic example. What is the UN? It's the world represented by their delegates. Laughing at him.

Turn his own rhetoric around on him. Finish off by stating that the whole world is laughing at us, him. Time to stop that. And incidentally, 'lock him up'

It would torment the thin skinned clown no end.

11 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The perfect storm brewing.

Trump’s rage at his niece’s tell-all book only shows how feckless and weak he is

President Trump is apparently unfamiliar with the “Streisand Effect,” in which an attempt to suppress information only draws more attention to it.

So, fresh off making former national security adviser John Bolton’s book a runaway bestseller with an unsuccessful attempt to block its publication, he is trying to do the same to “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man,” written by his niece, Mary Trump.

President Trump’s lawsuit (which has actually been filed by his family, but I think we can comfortably assume that it’s happening only because it’s what the president wants) is meant, like so many of the lawsuits he files, to be an assertion of power.

But it will turn out to be just the opposite — a demonstration of his impotence as everything falls apart around him.

Mary Trump, a psychologist, is the daughter of the president’s late brother, Fred Trump Jr. Here’s how her publisher describes her book:

Mary Trump spent much of her childhood in her grandparents’ large, imposing house in the heart of Queens, where Donald and his four siblings grew up. She describes a nightmare of traumas, destructive relationships, and a tragic combination of neglect and abuse.

She explains how specific events and general family patterns created the damaged man who currently occupies the Oval Office, including the strange and harmful relationship between Fred Trump and his two oldest sons, Fred Jr. and Donald.

If the president were able to look rationally at this situation, he’d simply ignore “Too Much and Never Enough.” It would be read almost entirely by people who don’t like him anyway, and it might not find its way into the national conversation in any meaningful way.

But as we know, Trump is petty, vindictive, and so desperately insecure that he is unable to let any slight go unanswered.

So his family’s lawsuit asks the court to prevent publication on the grounds that, as part of a legal settlement over the inheritance from Fred Trump Sr., Mary Trump signed a nondisclosure agreement promising not to publicly discuss her relationship with President Trump and other family members. “She’s not allowed to write a book,” Trump told Axios.

But here’s the problem: The lawsuit asks for “prior restraint,” in which courts step in to prevent someone from exercising their free speech rights before they actually speak.

As any first-year law student could tell you, the courts only allow prior restraint in extraordinary circumstances, when the damage being prevented is so enormous and irreparable that it overcomes the First Amendment.

Most famously, the Supreme Court refused to grant the government prior restraint in the 1971 Pentagon Papers case, even though it agreed that national security would be harmed by the papers’ publication.

But even more to the point, when Mary Trump signed her NDA, she didn’t actually sign away her right to tell her story.

If it’s like other NDAs, including the ones President Trump forces nearly everyone within a mile of him to sign, it provides for some kind of penalty, so that Mary Trump would have to pay the other members of her family X dollars if she violates it.

And that penalty is President Trump’s only recourse. He can sue to force her to pay what the NDA specifies. What he can’t do, however, is get the courts to stop the book’s publication in the first place.

I suspect that at some point, someone has explained this to the president. But this would hardly be the first time he filed a frivolous lawsuit guaranteed to fail.

This is where Trump’s impotence becomes vivid. When he was a private citizen, he used lawsuits to intimidate, to annoy, to get out of obligations, and sometimes just on a whim.

In 2016, USA Today reported that Trump had been involved in at least 3,500 lawsuits, a simply mind-boggling number.

But as has often been the case, a tactic he wielded effectively as a private citizen no longer works when he’s president of the United States and he tangles with people who either have ample legal resources of their own or have become wise to his modus operandi.

When Trump sued some small business owner, he knew the person couldn’t afford the legal fight no matter the facts, so they’d probably settle. But that won’t work today.

Mary Trump obviously thought this through and decided to break her NDA to write her book, knowing that she’d probably have to pay whatever penalty she agreed to.

And this isn’t the first time she has struck at her uncle by revealing what he’d like to keep hidden; we recently learned that she was the source behind the blockbuster 2018 New York Times report showing that Fred Trump and his children carried out a massive, multi-year tax fraud conspiracy that defrauded the federal government of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Here’s what will happen now. President Trump and his family will fail to suppress Mary Trump’s book, but their attempt to do so will turn it into a bestseller.

It may still be only read by people who dislike the president, but it will probably garner much more media attention than it would have otherwise. When he sees his niece interviewed, Trump will lash out, bringing her even more attention.

Her stories and allegations may deepen the sense most Americans now have that Trump is a corrupt narcissist.

Perhaps even more maddening to the president, the whole episode will show him to be weak and impotent, raging against the unfairness of a world that refuses to bend to his will and hurling ineffectual insults at all who dare to defy him.

I have no idea if that’s part of what Mary Trump is after, but if it is, she’s already won.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/24/trumps-rage-his-nieces-tell-all-book-only-shows-how-impotent-he-is/

Still incredibly funny for anyone who hasn't seen it, Brad Pitt imitating Dr Anthony Fauci on famous comedy sketch show Saturday Night Live.

This was all the funnier because sometime prior to it Fauci had been asked by a journalist who he would like to see portray him if he were parodied on SNL. Fauci opted for Brad Pitt and got his wish.

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Marty Byrde said:

He made blustering ****wittery acceptable in the eyes of blustering ****wits.

(Not all Trump supporters are blustering ****wits themselves by the way,  although they are at least blustering ****wit enablers)

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

My fear is them going into a state of emergency because of covid and him finding a way to extend his term or cancel the election or something. Emergency powers tend to be pretty dramatic but I don't know anything specific about them over there so I could be way off.

lost in leith
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Ooops.   Embed not working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53191287

First video down where they are talking about their civil liberties and being forced to wear a mask.

**** them.   **** them all.   And **** the USA.

Masks are "killing people", "the devil's law", deary deary me ...

This is hilarious. Biggest cheering of the night at the Trump Tulsa rally? When he demonstrated his remarkable ability to have a drink of water using only one hand. 🤣

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This is hilarious. Biggest cheering of the night at the Trump Tulsa rally? When he demonstrated his remarkable ability to have a drink of water using only one hand. 🤣

Not standing up for Trump, but to be fair, I've got golfers elbow and I can't get a glass to my mouth with right hand and I'm only 48😩

I had to use my left hand to get a bottle of beer all the way to my mouth last weekend, never one to miss a chance to take the piss, the wife asked if I was going to be lashing on the fake orange tan next😆

5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Not standing up for Trump, but to be fair, I've got golfers elbow and I can't get a glass to my mouth with right hand and I'm only 48😩

I had to use my left hand to get a bottle of beer all the way to my mouth last weekend, never one to miss a chance to take the piss, the wife asked if I was going to be lashing on the fake orange tan next😆

I'm guessing you don't expect a successful one handed sip to be followed by rapturous applause and whooping. Out of curiosity how are you with ramps? 😉

Trump-ramp-gif.gif

And how does your coiffure handle stairs and winds? Any Bob Dylan 'blowing in the wind' going on? 😉

Mac_fae_Gillie
6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Even in Tulsa he didn't really raise his elbow that much just sipped the top 1 inch of water without raising or tilting the glass, left most of it in there then tossed it away..if you backtrack it to the Westpoint video its at that point he uses his other hand to tilt the glass so nothing really proved.

I suspect the upcoming book from Trump's niece is going to be far and away the most insightful yet. And potentially most damaging.

This woman is a clinical psychologist who has known the oddball all her life.

She has a master’s degree in psychology earned in 2001, a master’s in clinical psychology in 2003, and a doctoral degree in clinical psychology in 2010, a school official said.

And with all that expertise in hand she has only ever interacted with him in a private family setting when he wasn't trying to play to an audience.

The night he was elected she posted to twitter.

“Worst night of my life,” she wrote at least 12 times in tweets that have been deleted recently. She wrote that “We should be judged harshly. . . . I grieve for our country.”

She is going to reveal the real character including a professional psychological description which I further suspect wont be a great deal different from the public fantasising narcissist. If at all different. Trump doesn't have the capacity to play two roles.

Mary Trump once stood up to her uncle Donald. Now her book describes a ‘nightmare’ of family dysfunction

Mary L. Trump was embroiled in a feud over her inheritance two decades ago when her uncle Donald Trump and his siblings punched back in classic style. In an obscure court filing, they belittled her, alleging she “lives primarily off the Trump income” and is “not gainfully employed.”

Actually, Mary Trump had embarked on a new career. She studied patients with schizophrenia at Hillside Hospital on Long Island for at least six months during this period, meeting with an array of people who were delusional, hallucinatory and suicidal.

Over time, she deepened her studies of the disorder, contributed to a book on treating schizophrenia, wrote a dissertation on stalkers, and became a clinical psychologist. But not since she became part of the lawsuit in 2000 against her uncle has she spoken in detail about what she sees as the disorders of Donald Trump.

Now her silence could be coming to an end. Her book about her uncle — “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man” — is slated to be published next month.

The book is so potentially explosive that the Trump family is seeking to block publication, citing a confidentiality agreement that Mary Trump signed as part of a settlement about her inheritance. Mary Trump’s lawyer, Theodore Boutrous Jr., said the president is trying to “suppress a book that will discuss matters of utmost public importance.”

The publisher has not revealed specifics, and Mary Trump, 55, declined an interview request. But clues to her dark view of her uncle can be seen in lawsuits, and interviews with former colleagues and teachers, academic papers and a series of now-deleted tweets, including one that said her uncle’s election was the “worst night of my life.”

A description of the book from publisher Simon & Schuster suggests it will draw heavily on her studies of family dysfunction, with Mary using her clinical background to dissect “a nightmare of traumas, destructive relationships and a tragic combination of neglect and abuse,” including “the strange and harmful relationship between” her late father and Donald Trump.

The tragedy to which the book description alludes probably is informed by an event that infused both her life and that of her uncle: the death of her father — President Trump’s older brother Fred Jr. — of alcoholism when she was 16 years old.

Friends of her father’s told The Washington Post last year that they blame his death in part on the way he was treated by Donald Trump, and the president said in an interview last year with The Post that he regrets how he dealt with his brother.

President Trump told Axios that he didn’t think his niece was allowed to write the book because she signed the confidentiality agreement. The White House declined further comment.

Donald Trump’s brother Robert, who filed the petition to stop the book, said in the filing that Mary had agreed after accepting an unspecified financial settlement from the inheritance fight that she “would not publish any account” of her relationship with Donald Trump or his siblings.

In a statement, Robert Trump said Mary’s decision to “mischaracterize our family relationship after all these years for her own financial gain is a travesty and injustice” to her late father, Fred Jr., and grandfather, Fred Sr., saying the family feels that “Mary’s actions are truly a disgrace.”

A Queens County Surrogate’s Court on Thursday denied the petition on grounds of lack of jurisdiction, but Robert Trump on Friday refiled the case with the New York State Supreme Court.

Gilded life

From birth, Mary Trump was supposed to be set for a gilded life, a grandchild of Fred Sr. and Mary. Her father, Fred Jr., was the eldest of Fred Trump Sr.’s children, and he was expected to follow his father as the leader of the family business.

Mary was featured in society columns as a fashionably dressed young girl, and she spent time at her grandparents’ palatial home in Queens, watching her father feud with Donald and Fred Sr., who ran a New York City real estate company.

Much to the family’s consternation, Fred Jr. was interested in becoming a pilot for TWA, not in renting New York City apartments. After graduating from Lehigh University in 1960, he married a flight attendant named Linda Lee Clapp in 1962. He went to flight school and the couple had two children, including Mary, who was born in 1965.

Fred Jr. was already drinking heavily by the time Mary was born, and his troubles with alcohol may have caused him to give up his dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot, according to three former TWA employees who trained with him. Meanwhile, Donald Trump and Fred Sr. continued to pressure him to join the family business.

By the time Mary was 6 years old, her mother divorced Fred Jr. A family friend, David Miller, said in an interview that while Fred Jr.’s drinking played a role in the divorce, there was also a lot of pressure from Fred Sr., who Miller said disliked Linda. “She wasn’t welcomed into the family,” Miller said of Linda. Linda could not be reached for comment.

Fred Trump Sr. agreed at the time of the divorce to support Linda and his grandchildren, providing rent and $100 per week for expenses, plus $25 per week for Mary and her brother, Fred III, according to court records.

Fred Sr. agreed to pay for Mary to attend a private school during her early years as well as her college and medical expenses.

On Sept. 26, 1981, Fred Trump Jr. died at 42 years old of a heart attack, which the family has said stemmed from alcoholism. Mary was 16 years old.

Carried a burden

Mary eventually attended Tufts University, where she studied the Southern novelist William Faulkner. In a seminar with English professor Alan Lebowitz, Mary and her 15 or so fellow students analyzed the Compson family portrayed in novels such as “The Sound and the Fury.”

The Compsons bore some similarities to her own family: Like Donald Trump’s mother, the Compsons immigrated to the United States from Scotland, and the family was riven by dysfunction. At the time, Donald Trump was running his Atlantic City casinos, which went into bankruptcy, and preparing to divorce his first wife, Ivana, and marry Marla Maples.

Lebowitz said in a telephone interview that he has rarely had a student as exceptional as Mary Trump, who was featured in the Tufts commencement program as having won the award for top English student.

“She was just as smart and accomplished as any I’ve taught in 40 years,” Lebowitz said. “She took a seminar on William Faulkner with me and she wrote two absolutely stunning papers, long, deep and elegant. We studied an enormously complex, interesting writer and she got deeply into it because she is a deep thinker.”

Lebowitz, who is retired, recalled that when she entered his classroom more than 30 years ago, he learned of the weight she carried.

“I knew that her father had been a very sad story and that she was carrying the burden of that story,” he said.

Mary and Fred III had received some financial support over the years from the Trump family, and they expected to receive a significant inheritance from their grandfather, Fred Sr., who died in 1999.

Mary and her brother had hoped they would get an amount close to what would have gone to their father, if he had lived, but they learned they were due to receive a lesser amount, and a probate fight ensued, court records show.

Mary and Fred III alleged that an unnamed person associated with the Trump family improperly engineered a change in the will of their grandfather, who had Alzheimer’s disease during his last years. Mary and her brother said the changes in the will were “procured by fraud and undue influence.”

Donald said at the time that he supported a cutoff of medical coverage that had been provided by a family company for Fred III’s son, William, who had cerebral palsy.

Donald Trump told the New York Daily News that when he and his siblings were sued by Fred III and Mary, he felt, “Why should we give [William] medical coverage?”

Donald’s brother Robert said in a deposition that the family had given Mary annual gifts of $20,000, in addition to income from family ventures, estimating that Mary and Fred III annually received “close to $200,000 without either one lifting a finger at any time.”

Mary was livid about the family’s decision to cut off medical coverage for her nephew William. She told the Daily News at the time, “Given this family, it would be utterly naive to say it has nothing to do with money.

But for both me and my brother, it has much more to do with that our father be recognized. He existed, he lived, he was their oldest son. And William is my father’s grandson. He is as much a part of that family as anybody else. He desperately needs extra care.”

In the 2000 lawsuit, Mary did not directly address her uncle Robert’s assertion that she was “not gainfully employed.”

But it was around this time, after working on a master’s degree in English at Columbia University, that she served in a voluntary role in the study of schizophrenia patients, assisting senior social worker Rachel Miller at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, N.Y.

Miller said Mary Trump showed an intense interest in understanding what drove people into psychological dysfunction. “She went into a situation that is hard to see. Many doctors and social workers couldn’t go there, it was so frightening to see somebody losing their mind,” Miller said.

Mary Trump accompanied her in visits with patients who were typically 16 to 25 years old and experiencing their first episodes of schizophrenia. “She had her life set on doing what she wanted to do, which was to be a psychologist,” Miller said.

Later, when Miller needed help on a book she co-wrote, “Diagnosis: Schizophrenia,” about the study, she said Mary worked long hours to help her research and write the manual, which became popular in the field and with families of people with the disease.

'Worst night of my life'

n nurturing relationships. It said Mary’s interest stemmed “from her own struggles as an athlete with asthma which have given her a true appreciation for the extent to which physical well-being is vital to psychological and emotional well-being.”

One of the coaches listed as a team member said the company didn’t develop much beyond the creation of the website. Paige Crosby, who said she participated in a year-long training program with Mary Trump to become a life coach, recalled her talking about her “hurt feelings” from her “sour relationship” with Donald.

As Donald Trump announced his candidacy in 2015, Mary Trump does not appear to have said anything publicly about him.

But when it became clear that her uncle had won the presidency, she took to Twitter. “Worst night of my life,” she wrote at least 12 times in tweets that have been deleted recently. She wrote that “We should be judged harshly. . . . I grieve for our country.”

Mary Trump’s publicist, asked to verify that Mary wrote the tweets, declined to comment.

Last year, according to corporate filings, Mary created a company that echoed the name of the tragic family in Faulkner’s novels: Compson Enterprises. In an initial listing for her book, designed to keep the project a secret, her name was given as Mary Compson.

Now Mary Trump appears to hope that, with an assist from the publication of her book, the next presidential election will turn out differently from the last. She foreshadowed it at 4:07 a.m. on Nov. 9, 2016, shortly after her uncle was declared the president-elect, when she tweeted simply: “2020.”

Mary Trump once stood up to her uncle Donald. Now her book describes a ‘nightmare’ of family dysfunction

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)