U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

5 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

President of the United States of America. What a time this is to be alive. These are truly the banter years of stupidity, there will never be another period of time like this. 

If you were sitting in a restaurant, and at the next table there was a man with orange skin and absurd hair, saying the things that Trump has been saying at these daily Loony Tune sessions, you'd move to a different table.

He's not just some daft old uncle, whom everyone patronises just to be kind.  This dangerous imbecile is in the most powerful job on the planet.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Maple Leaf said:

If you were sitting in a restaurant, and at the next table there was a man with orange skin and absurd hair, saying the things that Trump has been saying at these daily Loony Tune sessions, you'd move to a different table.

He's not just some daft old uncle, whom everyone patronises just to be kind.  This dangerous imbecile is in the most powerful job on the planet.

i'd move to a different restaurant rather than just another table

13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'd make sure I was in a different country within 24 hours. 

Got any suggestions for making that happen for me? :28:

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

head south

Pretty sure they're already building a wall to keep us out :rofl:

The Internet
7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Got any suggestions for making that happen for me? :28:

Canada's in walking distance is it not? 

Thunderstruck

Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful bleaching/oxidising agent, useful for that extra bit of whiteness in your laundry, removing mould from the shower or for killing yeast, fungi, viruses and bacteria. It was once used as a topical antibacterial but can inhibit the healing process so no longer recommended for that. 

Surely nobody would dream of using it internally. You might think so but you would be wrong.

Intravenous use of Hydrogen Peroxide has been around for 100 years. The benefits are questionable, to say the least. It has side effects (as with many drugs) and very occasionally will kill (as with many drugs). 

Who knows, this bit of Quack Medicine might just be the silver bullet. Now, that would be something to file under irony. 

5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Canada's in walking distance is it not? 

Not from Arizona, no, but I'm pretty sure they're trying to keep us out too.

6 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Is there something out there that can kill this virus that is a natural product already in existence?

Lots of stuff will kill it, acid, simple boiling water would kill it. But kill the host too, meaning you if you immerse yourself in acid or boiling water to kill it.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

There could be a message there that your neighbours are trying to tell yous.  :laugh:

Shanks said no
49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Deaths...lolz.  He was owning the Libs. Bantz.

Screenshot_20200424-175334_Twitter.jpg

Having watched last night in disbelieve we came in from the garden and switched on the TV, which was still tuned to CNN. Trump was having some sort of rant about the American postal service and Amazon.

Then he was asked a dettol question and lied and lied and lied.

CNN are crucifying him quite rightly now. I know what we saw last night and today, the President of the USA is mentally ill or a complete and utter liar who doesn't care that he is seen as one.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Having watched last night in disbelieve we came in from the garden and switched on the TV, which was still tuned to CNN. Trump was having some sort of rant about the American postal service and Amazon.

CNN are crucifying him quite rightly now. I know what we saw last night and today, the President of the USA is mentally ill or a complete and utter liar who doesn't care that he is seen as one.

He does have a good you-know-what though.

7 hours ago, Barack said:

Boys, for your pleasure...😎

Please come back Barack......all is forgiven..

Save us from the Dettol king....  :)

6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Some poor souls who see him as a saviour.........   Jesus conoravirusl and then death by bleach.....   What poor girls died off a century ago when pregnant....

Where's Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him.....

Auld Reekin'
48 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Some poor souls who see him as a saviour.........   Jesus conoravirusl and then death by bleach.....   What poor girls died off a century ago when pregnant....

Where's Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him.....

John Hinckley Jnr. might be a better example, given that it was him - without any doubt at all - who pulled the trigger.   :whistling:    Anyway, anyone who fancies a "shot" at it...   :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Trump vs Biden is going to be a crazy shit show. 

This other guy surely can't be worse than Trump surely.

15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

This other guy surely can't be worse than Trump surely.

He's a slightly different rich, old, white (alleged)sex beast

1 minute ago, Cade said:

He's a slightly different rich, old, white (alleged)sex beast

That's a lot of how you could describe Trump 😂

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

So the Trumpet shit it tonight and refused to take any questions, he's done for.

But you just know his bonkers supporters will say he was right to ignore the fake news MSM 

5 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Not very successfully as tens of thousands have crossed the border since Trump was elected.

And we'll always find space for a Jambo.

will-i-am-a-jambo
15 hours ago, milky_26 said:

If it hasn't been said already - now we know who Trump styles his hair on!

Not a good day for Der Furor, said something stupid then denies it and gets caught telling a whopper, when I was a kid parents used to tell us every time you lied you got a black spot on your heart, old Trumpies heart must look like a coal face in a mine.

More bad news the Navy has recommended that Captain Crozier be given back command of his ship. Polls are not looking good. If Biden just stays in isolation, says nothing he might be able to win.

Trump refuses to take questions at the shortest briefings yet, and Dr Brix and Fauci not in attendance.

1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

Not a good day for Der Furor, said something stupid then denies it and gets caught telling a whopper, when I was a kid parents used to tell us every time you lied you got a black spot on your heart, old Trumpies heart must look like a coal face in a mine.

More bad news the Navy has recommended that Captain Crozier be given back command of his ship. Polls are not looking good. If Biden just stays in isolation, says nothing he might be able to win.

Trump refuses to take questions at the shortest briefings yet, and Dr Brix and Fauci not in attendance.

He's fecked and that country could find itself spiralling into a civil war if they don't get a grip of things.

15 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Not a good day for Der Furor, said something stupid then denies it

This is standard craziness for him. He says something, it's actually recorded for all to see as many times as they like, then he denies he ever said it. Does it get any crazier?

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Not very successfully as tens of thousands have crossed the border since Trump was elected.

And we'll always find space for a Jambo.

Not the first time they have fled North is it.

MONTREAL – When 22-year-old Bill King returned home to Indiana in 1968 to visit his parents after a stint as Janis Joplin’s music director, the FBI was there waiting for him.

King’s father, a Second World War veteran who landed at Normandy, helped negotiate a deal with the agents, who had been travelling around the United States looking for Vietnam War draft dodgers.

“If I agreed to go in the military, (the FBI) agreed to drop the charges of draft evasion,” King, 68, said in an interview from Toronto ahead of the 40th anniversary of the end of the war on April 30.

King spent the next 10 months at two army bases before fleeing the night before he was to be sent off to Vietnam. He then hitchhiked to Canada, joining thousands of other draft dodgers between 1965 and 1975 who made the journey north of the border.

While it is still unclear how many men and women sought sanctuary in Canada – the country labelled draft dodgers as immigrants, as opposed to refugees – the federal government estimates up to 40,000 made the journey.

Most stayed after the war, “making up the largest, best-educated group this country ever received,” says an archived report on the Citizenship and Immigration website.

King, an award-winning musician, producer and broadcaster, said the stories he heard from returning soldiers convinced him that he had to leave.

Not long after reporting to Fort Knox in Kentucky and joining the army band, King received a warning from a sergeant who had returned from Vietnam.

King said the sergeant told him how the army used its band to play music during U.S. inoculation campaigns in Vietnamese villages.

“They’d use (villagers) as guinea pigs, and they would use the band as a way to lure them out,” he said.

“The band would go marching into these communities and the first thing that would happen is somebody would fire on the band and kill the front row.”

Another American musician, Eric Nagler, who later found fame as a regular on “The Elephant Show,” with Sharon, Lois and Bram, crossed from Vermont into Quebec in 1968 at the age of 26.

“I refused to kill anybody,” Nagler said in an interview from his home outside Toronto. “The war was hideously ugly.”

His application for conscientious objector status was denied by his draft panel and he was told to report to Fort Dix in New Jersey.

The night before he was scheduled to report to the base he fled north.

Nagler, 72, gave himself up to authorities a few years later when he returned to the United States to help his family after his father-in-law died.

He was sentenced to three years in prison but was acquitted on appeal.

Despite the acquittal and the eventual pardon of draft dodgers by then-president Jimmy Carter in 1977, Nagler came back to Canada and settled.

“In Canada the worst that we had was the French-English problem and it just pales in comparison to the kind of lynches and hatred and persecution that goes on in the U.S.,” he said. “Why would I want to live there? This is a much, much better place to be.”

Draft dodgers settled mostly in big cities such as Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. As their numbers swelled toward the end of the 1960s, more and more people in Canada began working for organizations helping dodgers find work and settle.

Mark Satin, 68, was one of them.

A former student antiwar activist, Satin flew to Toronto in 1966 to dodge the draft and moved in with what he called “Quaker radicals” who were on the board of a nascent draft-dodger counselling organization.

“It was hard to get information at that time,” said Satin, who moved back to the United States in the late ’70s.

Satin decided to write the Manual for Draft Age Immigrants to Canada, which sold tens of thousands of copies and became a sort of Bible for young men fleeing the war.

“The reason I wrote the manual is because I really wanted to reach middle-class Americans and all we were reaching at that time were radicals,” he said.

Jack Todd, a well-known sports columnist with the Montreal Gazette, fled the United States in January 1970. He had been working as a journalist in Miami and, after a breakup, concluded there was little left to prevent him from leaving.

“I was 100 per cent convinced the war was wrong,” said Todd, 68. “It was probably illegal and definitely immoral and hugely murderous and unwinnable.”

The United States lost almost 60,000 soldiers in the war. North Vietnam and the Vietcong lost about the same and up to two million Vietnamese civilians were killed in the fighting.

King, Nagler and Todd, and the imprint they left on Canada’s music and media industry, are but a few examples of the legacy the Vietnam draft dodgers left in Canada.

“We have to recognize the courage of Canadians, many of whom made us welcome and were really good to us and helped us make a life here,” Todd said.

U.S. Vietnam war draft dodgers left their mark on Canada

A Boy Named Crow
40 minutes ago, graygo said:

He's fecked and that country could find itself spiralling into a civil war if they don't get a grip of things.

I hadn't thought as far as a civil war,  but I have been wondering if covid 19, the Trump presidency (especially of he gets a second term), the reduction  in the need for companies to actually employ real people (given leaps in AI etc), the economic rise of China and an increasingly aggressive Russia might not spell the end of America as a/the major world power. 

The US is effectively an empire, with cultural and economic influence that spans the globe, but all empires up to now have fallen. If America proves itself incapable of getting its shIt together (by sealing with covid in a sensible manner and by coming up with a proper commander in chief), it could end up undoing all the advantages it held after the world wars. If the population is decimated and the government in chaos, there not a reasonable chance business could flee such a basket case? Where would a country that's power base is so reliant on big business stand then?

Culturally its influence is on the wane too, content providers like Netflix are increasingly running with what used to be niche "world cinema" as prime shows, rather than the hollywood stuff prevalent in the cinemas. People aren't being force fed the "American Dream" anymore.

I'm not saying the above will inevitably lead to the demise of the States,  I just think we're standing at an interesting junction in history right now. Your point about a civil war gets even more interesting when you consider the US is a country that largely embraces a paranoid loathing of state intervention in its citizens lives. How does that work out when millions upon millions are made redundant by AI and the rest of the world starts thinking about some form of UBI?

I'm out of coffee now...

The US will remain a superpower the rest of this century but wont remain so hegemonic. The current Trump incumbency is disastrous in terms of their credibility as a rational world leader anyone should bother listening to.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

The US will remain a superpower the rest of this century but wont remain so hegemonic. The current Trump incumbency is disastrous in terms of their credibility as a rational world leader anyone should bother listening to.

Aye, I mean I've been going on about the demise of the US for ages.  I started when the Euro was young,  pre-GFC. I thought that it would end up being the  go-to currency around the world for counties that needed to trade in something other than their own currency...I was wrong then, and I'm probably wrong now...but if I keep saying it, and the US does massively decline in my lifetime, I get to give it the big "I told you so"...

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Good, there's feck all on the telly. 

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Aye, I mean I've been going on about the demise of the US for ages.  I started when the Euro was young,  pre-GFC. I thought that it would end up being the  go-to currency around the world for counties that needed to trade in something other than their own currency...I was wrong then, and I'm probably wrong now...but if I keep saying it, and the US does massively decline in my lifetime, I get to give it the big "I told you so"...

They're simply too big to ever be anything but a major power for a long time to come. In time they will likely be eclipsed by China in every way.

China provides free higher education for it's citizens while the US charges hundreds of thousand of dollars for a first class degree. 

China is turning out around half a million engineers every year. China will become the global tech giant over the next few decades. While Trump rants on about 19th century technology as in getting coal miners back to work China is the world leader in future energy tech like solar power.

The Tengger Desert solar farm in China is the largest in the world and they keep building more.

The 1547MW solar power was installed in Zhongwei, Ningxia is the world’s largest solar array by far. Know as the “Great Wall of Solar” in China.

The Tengger Desert is an arid natural region that covers about 36,700 km and is mostly in the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region in China. The solar field itself covers 1,200 Km (3.2%) of land.

Tengger-Desert-Solar-Park.jpg

A Boy Named Crow
51 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

They're simply too big to ever be anything but a major power for a long time to come. In time they will likely be eclipsed by China in every way.

China provides free higher education for it's citizens while the US charges hundreds of thousand of dollars for a first class degree. 

China is turning out around half a million engineers every year. China will become the global tech giant over the next few decades. While Trump rants on about 19th century technology as in getting coal miners back to work China is the world leader in future energy tech like solar power.

The Tengger Desert solar farm in China is the largest in the world and they keep building more.

Tengger-Desert-Solar-Park.jpg

Can't disagree with that.  The cool thing about a huge renewable power source is that it opens up the door to the production of green hydrogen (hydrogen produced by running a current through water to produce hydrogen and oxygen). When the hydrogen is then used as a fuel the only waste product is water.

It's a technology that is still in its infancy,  but companies like Toyota and Hyundai are already offering hydrogen powered cars. These are cars you fill up, rather than charge. It could be a complete game changer in terms of the world's reliance on hydrocarbons...but that kind of long term view isn't what Trump needs to get reelected, so...

The Internet
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Over 100 people in Maryland called an emergency hotline to ask if it was safe to take disinfectants and about UV light.

In New York, 30 people went straight to GO, and were treated for ingesting disinfectants.

:glorious:

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

So this mate......

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Over 100 people in Maryland called an emergency hotline to ask if it was safe to take disinfectants and about UV light.

In New York, 30 people went straight to GO, and were treated for ingesting disinfectants.

I thought New Yorkers had more sense.

Obviously not.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Obviously not.

remember trump is a new yorker

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Obviously not.

Back in the day..... Some ameticans thought Teenage mutant ninja. Turtles was a documentary

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)