What position do you think we'll finish in the league?

Top Corner

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Top Corner

• Bazzas right boot

• Beast Boy

• Enzo Chiefo

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I don’t agree with that mate. I defend Levein from unfair criticism, and I’m balanced and honest about Sergio. I like them both and respect them for their abilities and the jobs they did for our club. 

It doesn’t always have to be one or the other, with one being shit and the other being amazing. The vast majority of things occupy the middle ground, edging towards good or bad.

I didn’t say it was black and white, just pointing out a bit of irony in people’s veiwpoints. Maybe we should have a thread asking if 5th and winning the SC is acceptable, at the moment I can’t see us achieving more this season.

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A bit like Sergio did by finishing 5th and winning the cup, a fact used against him returning by happy clappers?

5th or 6th would be disappointing and with or without a cup would be a disappointing league season and would  need adressed. 

A cup win, however would be perfect for CL to leave and hand over the reigns and give us a celebration. 

Cup wins are great but league form is a better indicator of the teams progress and we need to progress from last season with 4th widely regarded as the minimum. 

A cup win would be great and keep everyone happy, as most fans are short term and want to see tangible, instant success, not a criticism it's how I view most fans. 

I want Hearts to be challenging reguraly for cups, not once ever 6/7 years, to do that we need to be a good team, league form is a better indicator of the teams progress towards that goal. 

Wouldn't say no to a random cup win tho, either, I just don't think it's a good indication of the teams overall progress. 

We need to be at least closer to Aberdeen and above Killie or the season won't have been a success. 

I also think CL would agree on that point. 

Also, I think I'm a balanced person and have never critisced Sergio, however I don't think he would be a positive replacement now for CL. 

The good thing is 3rd is very possible, a sc semi final is also a very good possibility, on the back of a lc semi that would be a good season for us and show very good progress overall. 

Room for improvement as always. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I think we would still be battling for first, instead of second, if we had managed to retain Milinkovic. 

Or not lost Souttar, Uche, Dunne, Berra, Naismith all at the same time. ?

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I think we would still be battling for first, instead of second, if we had managed to retain Milinkovic. 

Definitely, first of all the combination between him/Naisy/Uche would be dynamite. Secondly when those two were injured he would’ve still scored goals as he did last season in a much poorer team.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

5th or 6th would be disappointing and with or without a cup would be a disappointing league season and would  need adressed. 

A cup win, however would be perfect for CL to leave and hand over the reigns and give us a celebration. 

Cup wins are great but league form is a better indicator of the teams progress and we need to progress from last season with 4th widely regarded as the minimum. 

A cup win would be great and keep everyone happy, as most fans are short term and want to see tangible, instant success, not a criticism it's how I view most fans. 

I want Hearts to be challenging reguraly for cups, not once ever 6/7 years, to do that we need to be a good team, league form is a better indicator of the teams progress towards that goal. 

Wouldn't say no to a random cup win tho, either, I just don't think it's a good indication of the teams overall progress. 

We need to be at least closer to Aberdeen and above Killie or the season won't have been a success. 

I also think CL would agree on that point. 

Also, I think I'm a balanced person and have never critisced Sergio, however I don't think he would be a positive replacement now for CL. 

The good thing is 3rd is very possible, a sc semi final is also a very good possibility, on the back of a lc semi that would be a good season for us and show very good progress overall. 

Room for improvement as always. 

Agree with most of that, it’s hard to judge how Sergio would do if he could sign his own players. His one piece of transfer business was a master stroke, loaning our Sutton and getting Beattie in. He was also tactically astute and beat Celtic at Jampden which few Hearts managers have achieved. He was well thought of by the players too as Gowsers recent interview showed, in difficult times.

As for CL if we finish 5/6th and win a cup I can’t see him quitting as manager, just this week he spoke about being somewhere long enough to to challenge and win things.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Or not lost Souttar, Uche, Dunne, Berra, Naismith all at the same time. ?

Dunne and Berra weren’t at the same time. Unfortunately  in modern football injuries are becoming more and more common, from around 70% of your squad to 80% in recent years. We are still a bit above average though and it seems our best players all get injured.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

9th. Revisionism based on the negative threads teaching me we are really shite 

We’re only 25 points off the playoff place with 12 games to go so not safe yet.

3 hours ago, peebles jambo said:

Have to agree with this, seems Levein doesn't know how to get us back to early form

Injuries to key players was the difference plus the wide players in our team of a level below what is required. 

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

He would have done his knee in September and missed 5/6 months. Back in time to score 3 in the final pre-split derby though...

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry I will make it clearer. If CL finishes 5th but wins the cup it will mean there will be extremely few people calling for his head. The same people who defend CL use Sergios team finishing 5th as a reason he shouldn’t return. 

I hear what you are saying but I think the vast majority would have kept him on after winning the cup. Bringing him back several years later is a different thing. 

BRAVEHEART1874

3rd probably 4rth depending on how we play when haring and vaneck are fit ;)

We have not took any points of sevco yet and its the 1p big hoose soon so we wont finish 2nd.

I will settle for a cup win though :)

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I don’t agree with that mate. I defend Levein from unfair criticism, and I’m balanced and honest about Sergio. I like them both and respect them for their abilities and the jobs they did for our club. 

It doesn’t always have to be one or the other, with one being shit and the other being amazing. The vast majority of things occupy the middle ground, edging towards good or bad.

So the target for Hearts is mediocrity . LOL?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Agree with most of that, it’s hard to judge how Sergio would do if he could sign his own players. His one piece of transfer business was a master stroke, loaning our Sutton and getting Beattie in. He was also tactically astute and beat Celtic at Jampden which few Hearts managers have achieved. He was well thought of by the players too as Gowsers recent interview showed, in difficult times.

As for CL if we finish 5/6th and win a cup I can’t see him quitting as manager, just this week he spoke about being somewhere long enough to to challenge and win things.

5th would be poor, we should be above Killie at a minimum. 

However if we end up 5th and say 3 or so  points of 3rd it becomes a more complex debate. 

All ifs and buts. 

Might be put there but I have a gut feeling CL will step away from 1st team matters and move upstairs again. 

Nothing but a hunch. ?

This season, below 4th is shite. 

Reference Sergio, he's a cup winning manager. To disecte every result and transfer is pointless. 

Be a bigger debate and not worth discussing until Cl leaves or is near leaving which the club have given no indication is happening. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Barack said:

4th.

Can't be bothered explaining why.

Better than 5th and 6th.

We aren't as good as Aberdeen, rangers or celtic over a league season. 

Maybe aye, maybe naw.... 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I hear what you are saying but I think the vast majority would have kept him on after winning the cup. Bringing him back several years later is a different thing. 

Yes I think that’s true. So you’re saying that bringing Sergio back after 7 years away isn’t a good idea? Where you happy when Levein came back after a 13 year gap?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

5th would be poor, we should be above Killie at a minimum. 

However if we end up 5th and say 3 or so  points of 3rd it becomes a more complex debate. 

All ifs and buts. 

Might be put there but I have a gut feeling CL will step away from 1st team matters and move upstairs again. 

Nothing but a hunch. ?

This season, below 4th is shite. 

Reference Sergio, he's a cup winning manager. To disecte every result and transfer is pointless. 

Be a bigger debate and not worth discussing until Cl leaves or is near leaving which the club have given no indication is happening. 

So your hunch isn’t happening anytime soon? I don’t think it’s an earth shattering idea that he will move back upstairs when he ceases to be the manager. 

Happy 51st birthday to Sergio anyway.

Captain Canada

I'd like to be more optimistic, but I think we'll finish 5th. 

We've taken one point from recent games against Dundee, Livi and Motherwell. We're now more than two thirds of the way through the season and the table doesn't lie. 

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a long winning streak coming up. There are only 7 games until the split and the last 5 will be tough after that. 

Edited by Captain Canada

The Bookkeeper
16 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Nothing but a hunch. ?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/craig-levein-says-he-unlikely-to-move-back-upstairs-if-he-fails-as-hearts-boss-1-4874238

Celtic, Rangers , Aberdeen then either Killie or us , probably Killie . 

So 5th and hopefully 2 cup semifinals. 

Progress on the cup front and slight progress in the league should give CL another year year crack at it imo . 

However if we fail to get past Partick and finish 6th or lower questions  have to be asked . 

59 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes I think that’s true. So you’re saying that bringing Sergio back after 7 years away isn’t a good idea? Where you happy when Levein came back after a 13 year gap?

I was underwhelmed to be honest. 

Tokyo Drifter
21 hours ago, Top Corner said:

We would all love us to challenge Celtic for the title (well most of us)

But where do you realistically see us finishing?

5th or 6th 

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, The Bookkeeper said:

I actually meant the if he has a good season, say finish 3rd or 4th.

Steady the ship, then move on. 

Based on nothing as I said, just a feeling. 

5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I actually meant the if he has a good season, say finish 3rd or 4th.

Steady the ship, then move on. 

Based on nothing as I said, just a feeling. 

I think that’s possible. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Most likely 5th. Ideally 4th. Would love to be in a position at the end of the season where we are in the cup final against Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen but have already secured Europe by finishing 4th. Just fancy a trip to Europe this summer.

According to the EEN and a super computer we will finish 5th.

Fwiw, I think we'll finish 4th and split Aberdeen and Killie.

That's the dream. 

Let's say we finish 4th... and we manage to get to the semi final of the cup due to kind draws against championship teams, 

Are we happy with that?

Are we willing to go into next season watching the same (play it safe) kind of football?

Going to Fir park and "respecting" them for example. 

Or do we want to be entertained? 

Do we want exciting football?

It's all about defence with Levein. 

Me personally, I'd rather lose 2 goals and score 6. 

2 hours ago, Top Corner said:

Let's say we finish 4th... and we manage to get to the semi final of the cup due to kind draws against championship teams, 

Are we happy with that?

Are we willing to go into next season watching the same (play it safe) kind of football?

I want winning football. I’d take a Juve or Atletico Madrid style 1-0 ground out clean sheet everyweek than conceding goals week in week out. 

it’s a tight league, anyone can get a result vs anyone bar maybe Celtic. 

Unfortunately we lost key players and didn’t strengthen the wide areas enough. We’re pretty solid through the middle but our full backs/wing backs are not of the required level and our wingers are non existent. So we will always struggle to create enough chances in tight games and always liable to concede from wide areas. We just have to accept that this year. 

We are significantly better than than last season unfortunately Killie and Aberdeen have been more consistent.

I think 5th and 2 semis is not bad, not great but in the current climate all things considered there is the basis of a squad there to improve upon in the summer. 

I’d give Levein the window and the 1st half of next season from the current standpoint.

If we lose to Partick and go through a run of shite results again with no improvement  I’d change it this summer. 

Of of course we might finish magnificently in 3rd or 4th and reach the Cup Final, then how could anyone complain? 

We’ll see how it pans out. 

2 hours ago, Top Corner said:

Are we happy with that?

Sunday's game was exciting.

Two evenly matched sides both going all out to win the match.

We got beat but that was due to a freak error by our goalkeeper.

Other than that it was not a bad performance against a team who have now won six games on the bounce. Our away performances have improved this season.

FWIW  I think we will finish fourth which is a fair reflection on a season which has been ruined by injuries to our best players.

I notice you are quick to take away any credit for a cup run before the fixtures have even been completed.

Talk about agendas.

5th and I'd take that in the unlikely event we win the Scottish cup, otherwise it's another pretty poor season. And we go again with the same manager and his band of coaches. Yaaaay.

4th and probably two cup semi finals. Not the worst season by any stretch.

Our worst injury crisis in living memory stopped a potentially great season in its tracks, not to mention three really bad results vs Livi, Dundee and St Mirren (although we usually get at least a couple of results like that most seasons) and 3 pts in 2 games stolen by two of the worst reffing decisions you'll ever see. It's amazing we're still in touch for a European spot all things considered.

Edited by Guest

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, luckydug said:

Sunday's game was exciting.

Two evenly matched sides both going all out to win the match.

We got beat but that was due to a freak error by our goalkeeper.

Other than that it was not a bad performance against a team who have now won six games on the bounce. Our away performances have improved this season.

FWIW  I think we will finish fourth which is a fair reflection on a season which has been ruined by injuries to our best players.

I notice you are quick to take away any credit for a cup run before the fixtures have even been completed.

Talk about agendas.

Yeah imagine having an agenda about not getting excited about being evenly matched with Motherwell and eventually getting beat because our goalie isn’t up to it.