Irish Passport

RobboM

Is there anyone here who has applied for an Irish Passport as a dual national?

I've looked into it and can see that currently, having an Irish born parent, I would already be regarded as an Irish citizen and, as such, the process looks straightforward. Does anyone have any experience of having done this or of other dual nationality?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I've looked into it and can see that currently, having an Irish born parent, I would already be regarded as an Irish citizen and, as such, the process looks straightforward. Does anyone have any experience of having done this or of other dual nationality?

I've got US and UK citizenship. I took out UK citizenship when I was about 10 (ages ago), so unsure how the process will have changed, but there were loads of documents to complete. No doubt you will need to provide evidence. It's pricey having 2 passports (just spent total of £100 to renew my UK one, the US one will be at least the same), but handy. Unfortunately, only my great grandparents were Irish, so can't get an Irish passport. 

8 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I've got US and UK citizenship. I took out UK citizenship when I was about 10 (ages ago), so unsure how the process will have changed, but there were loads of documents to complete. No doubt you will need to provide evidence. It's pricey having 2 passports (just spent total of £100 to renew my UK one, the US one will be at least the same), but handy. Unfortunately, only my great grandparents were Irish, so can't get an Irish passport. 

Thanks Joey,

Documentation looks quite straightforward from what I can see. Just your own birth certificate (shows the name of your Irish parent) and your Irish parent's birth certificate and wedding certificate. Cost is e80 versus £72.50 so comparable at least

31 minutes ago, RobboM said:

If 1 of your parents is Irish id imagine it will be pretty straight forward

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, RobboM said:

Thanks Joey,

Documentation looks quite straightforward from what I can see. Just your own birth certificate (shows the name of your Irish parent) and your Irish parent's birth certificate and wedding certificate. Cost is e80 versus £72.50 so comparable at least

OK, sounds good. Bit of a bugger I'm a generation out. Still, hey ho. 

Wondered about something similar for a wee while now.

My wife was born in Canada and has a Canadian birth certificate but moved back to Sctland with her homesick parents before her first birthday.

How easy would it be for her to get a Canadian passport and what if any advantages would it provide?

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Wondered about something similar for a wee while now.

My wife was born in Canada and has a Canadian birth certificate but moved back to Sctland with her homesick parents before her first birthday.

How easy would it be for her to get a Canadian passport and what if any advantages would it provide?

I suspect it would be pretty easy with proof of birth being Canadian. Probably would not if required have to go through immigration process if wanting to move there, and could work without a Visa.  Our daughter was born in Scotland, her kids both born in Canada had Canadian and U.K passports. Made it easy for her daughter when she was in France for six months as part of her French Immersion school courses.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

What would be the benefits? 

42 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

OK, sounds good. Bit of a bugger I'm a generation out. Still, hey ho. 

Irish grandparents can also work. Bit more effort though iirc. 

4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I suspect it would be pretty easy with proof of birth being Canadian. Probably would not if required have to go through immigration process if wanting to move there, and could work without a Visa.  Our daughter was born in Scotland, her kids both born in Canada had Canadian and U.K passports. Made it easy for her daughter when she was in France for six months as part of her French Immersion school courses.

Cheers Bob, might sound a daft question but can Canadian passport holders travel freely to the US?

3 minutes ago, His name is said:

What would be the benefits? 

Freedom of movement in the EU

Right to live and/or work in the EU

EHIC healthcare benefits retained

Just now, graygo said:

Cheers Bob, might sound a daft question but can Canadian passport holders travel freely to the US?

Only if they can climb the wall. ?

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Freedom of movement in the EU

Right to live and/or work in the EU

EHIC healthcare benefits retained

Yup thanks Dave, mostly this .... plus, as a bonus, I might be able to vote in the Irish presidential election (depending on upcoming referendum)

1 hour ago, graygo said:

You have to go through a border, and lately have to show identification best being a passport but then you are through and can go where you like. I believe you can stay for up to six months, but does not I am sure include working. When I lived in Osoyoos we were five minutes from the border and was worth going for the cheaper gas and groceries.  I have mentioned before we used to walk up with the dog the local mountains. A neighbour went up there for a walk and wandered in to the unmarked United States. He was detained and given an exclusion order which included no future entry to the United States.

The OP better not darken the door of Tynie EVER again.

IRISH? 

Go home to Celtic Park. Disgusting. BOOOO.

::troll::

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

The OP better not darken the door of Tynie EVER again.

IRISH? 

Go home to Celtic Park. Disgusting. BOOOO.

::troll::

images.jpg

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

In 18 months I'll have my Scottish passport.

18 months? Kall-Kwik have really taken their eyes off the ball. 

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Mate's daughter did this funny thing is he's an Ulster unionist , moved here when he was about 10 or 11,  he doesn't find it as funny as me though.

Quite a straightforward process.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Irish grandparents can also work. Bit more effort though iirc. 

That's what I meant, only my great grand parents are Irish, not my grand parents.

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

That's what I meant, only my great grand parents are Irish, not my grand parents.

That won’t work then. ?

44 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Mate's daughter did this funny thing is he's an Ulster unionist , moved here when he was about 10 or 11,  he doesn't find it as funny as me though.

Quite a straightforward process.

?

Im actually looking forward to my Blue passport

My Scottish blue passport that is. 

:leveinproblem:

9 hours ago, RobboM said:

Thanks Joey,

It could be useful if the UK crashes out of the EU and you want to travel in and out of the EEA or between member countries with less hassle, or if you want to work in the EEA.

But if you want to maintain two passports it's going to cost more or less double what you're paying now - and if you've no need of the above facilities then there's no point.

8 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I suspect it would be pretty easy with proof of birth being Canadian. 

Might not be that easy, a workmates daughter was born in Australia as they were working there at the time and they have tried to get her an Australian passport and have been told it's a no go as her parents were British.To use the old expression just because Jesus was born in a stable it didn't make him a horse.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Might not be that easy, a workmates daughter was born in Australia as they were working there at the time and they have tried to get her an Australian passport and have been told it's a no go as her parents were British.To use the old expression just because Jesus was born in a stable it didn't make him a horse.

I used to work with an Italian who had an Australian passport.  Australia changed their rules in 1986. If you were born there before then, you didn't need to have an Australian parent.

11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It could be useful if the UK crashes out of the EU and you want to travel in and out of the EEA or between member countries with less hassle, or if you want to work in the EEA.

But if you want to maintain two passports it's going to cost more or less double what you're paying now - and if you've no need of the above facilities then there's no point.

The free healthcare probably covers the cost imo if that’s not part of any deal. Travel Insurance costs will likely rise without an ehic card. 

Twitter and Facebook people who voted to leave and are now cheerfully arranging their alternative EU passports are my least favourite social media thing at the moment. Dicks. :angry:

2 hours ago, redm said:

Twitter and Facebook people who voted to leave and are now cheerfully arranging their alternative EU passports are my least favourite social media thing at the moment. Dicks. :angry:

Agreed includes my brother in laws parents try to avoid them at family events.

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

I based my post on the fact that Canada is one of very few countries who grant automatic citizenship to anyone born in Canada even the child of non Canadian parents. This has encouraged numerous Chinese visitors to have their child here in Canada. Some in fact did so without paying for the birth or following medical treatment.  Ted Cruz was born in Winnipeg and took steps to get rid of that connection when running for President.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I based my post on the fact that Canada is one of very few countries who grant automatic citizenship to anyone born in Canada even the child of non Canadian parents. This has encouraged numerous Chinese visitors to have their child here in Canada. Some in fact did so without paying for the birth or following medical treatment.  Ted Cruz was born in Winnipeg and took steps to get rid of that connection when running for President.

I did not know that. Surprised the Christian evangelical republicans didn't get their knickers in a twist about that.

Oh aye, Obama is black. 

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

Anyone else got three passports? 

I've got UK, USA and Irish.

Didn't even know that was allowed. Unless you're a spy and your passports are fake? 

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The free healthcare probably covers the cost imo if that’s not part of any deal. Travel Insurance costs will likely rise without an ehic card. 

It would, though the value of that depends on the extent to which you plan to live and work (or travel extensively) within the EU.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Didn't even know that was allowed. Unless you're a spy and your passports are fake? 

Be careful, his bowtie is really a camera......

6 hours ago, redm said:

? 

Feel like applying for German passport just to annoy you.

I think I'm eligible for that and a polish one.

?

Oh the joys of brexit.

16 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It would, though the value of that depends on the extent to which you plan to live and work (or travel extensively) within the EU.

Mrs M qualifies through having Irish grandparents so is thinking about trying to get one. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Mrs M qualifies through having Irish grandparents so is thinking about trying to get one. 

If she does that and then gets any communication whatsoever from the FAI, tell her to ignore it.  :laugh: 

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Two passport holders are racist

Going out on a limb here but I'd say there are a lot more than just two racist passport holders ?