• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Top Corner

• Lambo85

• Beast Boy

This is why I have some sympathy for Levein. He has goal keepers throwing the ball in the net. Full backs out injured and now players like Berra and Naismith massively off form. 

But frankly there is blame everywhere for our current predicament. 

Edited by hearts00

1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Was Dikamona injured? It looked to me like he was changing the formation.

Yup. He was hobbling about all over the place and asked the dugout to come off. 

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Berra has been poor, Naismith has seemed out of sorts lately as well. Something going on behind the scenes ??

Naismith is coming back so deep it's unbelievable, in order to try and take the ball and start something. Can see he is really pissed off and frustrated. Starting to affect his own performances. 

18 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Thought that as well. Seems to have lost his passion at the moment. 

He was the same at Motherwell in the warm up. Just looked uninterested .. head down and shoulders slumped ..his whole demeanor is worrying as captain 

3 minutes ago, 80bob said:

He was the same at Motherwell in the warm up. Just looked uninterested .. head down and shoulders slumped ..his whole demeanor is worrying as captain 

He's not the only one either. 

Celtic will target him on Wed night, I have no doubt.  He looked good in the handful of games before the break, but post-break he looks like a junior player.  I wouldn’t play him, I’d take pace/urgency/fitness over experience right now.  He’s as much of a risk as Hughes.  He clearly doesn’t like playing with Mulraney on that side either.

Berra has been extremely poor since the January break.  Not sure if that injury is still bothering him as he seems to have lost a yard and noticed that other teams are letting him have the ball because he can’t pass it.

I think he was rushed back. He is still a very good defender and a top player.

On current form we should be playing Dikamona and Souttar and benching Berra.

2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

This is why I have some sympathy for Levein. He has goal keepers throwing the ball in the net. Full backs out injured and now players like Berra and Naismith massively off form. 

But frankly there is blame everywhere for our current predicament. 

Sympathy ? Who signed the keepers ?

We have other full backs. 

portobellojambo1
52 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I agree with that, only because of what we are seeing now. I've watched the replay a few times of his original injury and it looked as if he damaged his knee cap when he went down. He still looks totally confident just now when he is going for balls in the air, but he is struggling a bit when the ball is on the deck, which could indicate that whatever problem he originally ended up with either hasn't had enough rest time or is now something he will just have to live with as it is never going to get back to 100%. I don't think it helps much either when we play with a back three and he often becomes an outlet for the keeper or the other defenders and is therefore playing the ball on the ground a lot more. At this stage in the season it will be of no help that Michael Smith is out for a wee while as he is probably having to play regularly with little scope for some time off.

2 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

He’s a very good defender and he may be a good captain, although I’m not so sure with what’s going on at the moment. 

One thing he is not is a top player. He is very poor on the ball. 

Jambof3tornado
10 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Hopefully being rushed back is all that was wrong. He just doesnt look the same player. Never seen him position himself so badly so many times.

Did anyone else notice his lack of celebration at out goal?

While the rest of the team were celebrating with Dikamona in the St Mirren half, Berra just hobbled back to our half to take his position. 

Edited by Lambo85

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

We did play a back 4.

Jake spent most of his time on the half way line and he is not a full back. It was a three 

His form is seriously worrying.

Can only hope it’s still injury related and he can recover because this current version of Berra shouldn’t be in the team.

He was definitely rushed back too soon, doesn’t look sharp at all. Needs dropped on current form tbh even if he is the captain. We badly need him to sort himself out for Wednesday or it could be a very painful watch

Maroonblood22

Without trying to over analyse it too much, his apparent quietness or lack of passion as some have said could simply be stemming from his own poor performances and lack of confidence in himself. He probably feels less like screaming orders at others knowing full well that he's having a mare.

He's not required to be the best 'baller, but he is supposed to be leading by example on the basics so there's every chance his frustration at his own performances is holding him back from being his usual commanding self.

Absolutely love big Christophe, but he needs to time out of the team to have any chance of getting back to the leader we know he is.

He’s not been the same player since he came back from his injury.  I don’t think playing three at the back suits him as it exposes his lack of pace. 

Unfortunately for Berra he set himself very high standards and is nowhere near living up to them. He is costing us valuable points now and it's time he sat out for a while. 

Yesterday's game would have been a perfect opportunity, I'm sure his apparent pishy attitude is just frustration at his performances, he will know how poor he's playing just as much as the rest of us. 

43 minutes ago, davieholt said:

Jake spent most of his time on the half way line and he is not a full back. It was a three 

No it wasn’t. Mulraney was left back, Souttar was right back.

37 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Without trying to over analyse it too much, his apparent quietness or lack of passion as some have said could simply be stemming from his own poor performances and lack of confidence in himself. He probably feels less like screaming orders at others knowing full well that he's having a mare.

He's not required to be the best 'baller, but he is supposed to be leading by example on the basics so there's every chance his frustration at his own performances is holding him back from being his usual commanding self.

I thought that myself at first, however after every mistake he made yesterday, he was looking round with his hands in the air for someone to blame.  Mulraney is the one getting it tight from him the most, even when it’s not his fault.  

playing berra on the left of a back three means that when hearts are in possession he gets plenty of the ball. That has never been his game and he is not comfortable or capable of playing there. Also, when defending he is often left exposed with the space in behind him and often is reluctant to close down wingers due to this and has allowed them the run on him. Move him back in one where he can just focus on defending. 

Edited by JMuir94

Seymour M Hersh

Berra is clearly not trusting his hamstring 100% and it's affected his performances. This, imo, has led to him playing poorly (by his standards) and losing confidence which is further affecting his game.  I don't believe for 1 second that he can't be bothered but for me his head's not right at the moment. 

Pasquale for King
On 23/02/2019 at 20:13, Gashauskis9 said:

Celtic will target him on Wed night, I have no doubt.  He looked good in the handful of games before the break, but post-break he looks like a junior player.  I wouldn’t play him, I’d take pace/urgency/fitness over experience right now.  He’s as much of a risk as Hughes.  He clearly doesn’t like playing with Mulraney on that side either.

He didn’t look too clever at Livi. Mulraney isn’t up to it and will need a lot more coaching before he ever is. Our Captain is really struggling but it’s not that obvious what the actual problem is.

14 hours ago, JMuir94 said:

playing berra on the left of a back three means that when hearts are in possession he gets plenty of the ball. That has never been his game and he is not comfortable or capable of playing there. Also, when defending he is often left exposed with the space in behind him and often is reluctant to close down wingers due to this and has allowed them the run on him. Move him back in one where he can just focus on defending. 

He wasn’t playing left of a back 3.

Do folk actually watch the game?

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He wasn’t playing left of a back 3.

Do folk actually watch the game?

At the game it looked like a four, with Souttar at RB and Clare at times in front of him, John was up and down the wing a fair few times when we had the ball which he normally isn’t when in a three. Mulraney was playing a bit further forward than the other three too. The highlights make it look like a three at times too, most journalists said it was a three too. Souttar and Clare were tucking in when they had the ball. We’ve played this system a few times this season and,me included, have all argued about it afterwards. It might be the reason St Mirren seemed to have players in space as our players like to interchange, usually without having any real success.

I am wondering if its more a mental thing with him.

He is constantly misplacing passes and shanking the ball out of play. Pains me to say that he looks like a big huddy at the minute.

He needs a couple of weeks off to not only get his fitness levels up but to refocus.

58 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

He's definitely lost a yard or 2. 

Yep. If he’s exposed on Wednesday Celtic will exploit him no end.

i wish jj was my dad

Outstanding from the big man. Did what he does best in a back four defending. He isn't comfortable in possesssion or when he has to contribute to us going forward. 

He was really struggling to move last 10mins. Hopefully we deal with Partick on Monday but after that I'd be tempted to rest him for a game or two. I'd like to think our next 2 league games are winnable (even if they are away) without him.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 24/02/2019 at 00:20, hearts00 said:

He’s a very good defender and he may be a good captain, although I’m not so sure with what’s going on at the moment. 

One thing he is not is a top player. He is very poor on the ball. 

This. Berra is a good defender but a limited ability footballer. His technique on the ball and passing would be laughed at in Italy but horses for courses-Pressley was the same. He hasn’t performed well since returning from injury and his weaknesses have been highlighted.

chester copperpot
49 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

This. Berra is a good defender but a limited ability footballer. His technique on the ball and passing would be laughed at in Italy but horses for courses-Pressley was the same. He hasn’t performed well since returning from injury and his weaknesses have been highlighted.

Apart from last night you mean? 

Levein needs to recognise that other teams have highlighted one of our main weaknesses as they let Berra play the ball from the back all the time and tend to press Souttar when he has it on the other side.

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Thought he was excellent last night.

He's finished though aye?

:facepalm:

Agreed. He was absolutely brilliant. All the doom merchants / haters will be absolutely gutted about that. They’ll need to move on to the next target now

56 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Post of the year. For comedy value. And I use the term comedy in a sarcastic way. Talking about Italy wtf :jj_facepalm:

Jambof3tornado
30 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Agreed. He was absolutely brilliant. All the doom merchants / haters will be absolutely gutted about that. They’ll need to move on to the next target now

He was much improved last night. Haring covers back to help out well too.

Did still just launch the ball a bit though.

I know he is old Skool defensively but I still get a bit hacked offf that his first instinct generally when the ball comes to him is to shank the ball towards the moon.

I think if we play him every week until the end of the season we’ll ruin him. 

Personally I’d manage him through the rest of the season - play him in cup games and top 6 games only.

Edited by Jammy T

SectionDJambo

Berra loves a battle, like last night. What he doesn’t like is being exposed to fast counter attacking when we play teams who sit in, especially when we play a back3. 

We need to keep playing a solid back 4 to get the best out of him. 

The Treasurer

His distribution is questionable at times but last night proved he is much more comfortable in a back four than a three.

His commitment and passion for the club is never in doubt

tartofmidlothian
2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Thought he was excellent last night.

He's finished though aye?

:facepalm:

:spoton:

Don't know where he found it but he had it all back last night.

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Olly Lee

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Berra loves a battle, like last night. What he doesn’t like is being exposed to fast counter attacking when we play teams who sit in, especially when we play a back3. 

We need to keep playing a solid back 4 to get the best out of him. 

I'm on this bus. Back to his imperious best last night. Not the world's greatest passer of a ball but solid as the old castle rock in a four.