New York.

superjack

Looking to book a family holiday in new York and I'm wondering where the best area to is?

We'll be typical tourists, visiting the usual things and Broadway.

6 minutes ago, superjack said:

Looking to book a family holiday in new York and I'm wondering where the best area to is?

We'll be typical tourists, visiting the usual things and Broadway.

A family holiday, hope you have plenty of money then, as it's the most expensive city in the USA.

Wife & daughter were there at the start of December and both couldn't believe how much things cost.

I’m going in June to see the Rolling Stones there. Will stay a whole week. I’ve looked into accommodation and it’s extortionate. Even a hostel dorm bed’s about £40 a night in Manhattan . AirBnB is worth a look. Perhaps even stay on the outskirts and commute in.

14 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I’m going in June to see the Rolling Stones there. Will stay a whole week. I’ve looked into accommodation and it’s extortionate. Even a hostel dorm bed’s about £40 a night in Manhattan . AirBnB is worth a look. Perhaps even stay on the outskirts and commute in.

I stayed in a  motel on Long Island and got the train into the heart of the city

58 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A family holiday, hope you have plenty of money then, as it's the most expensive city in the USA.

Wife & daughter were there at the start of December and both couldn't believe how much things cost.

Yes, was there last year for a concert and my goodness it’s expensive.

A bottle of Bud was anything from $8-$10 a bottle and the bartenders are looking for a tip on top ($1-$2 tip per drink not per round)

If your going in the summer, take a walk along the High Line and I enjoyed the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, take the subway across the river and walk back towards downtown Manhattan. 

A good freebie is the Statan Island Ferry (big orange boats) that go back and forth and sail past the Statue of Liberty for free, no need to pay for a boat trip unless you want to get off and climb the statue. 

13 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yes, was there last year for a concert and my goodness it’s expensive.

A bottle of Bud was anything from $8-$10 a bottle and the bartenders are looking for a tip on top ($1-$2 tip per drink not per round)

If your going in the summer, take a walk along the High Line and I enjoyed the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, take the subway across the river and walk back towards downtown Manhattan. 

A good freebie is the Statan Island Ferry (big orange boats) that go back and forth and sail past the Statue of Liberty for free, no need to pay for a boat trip unless you want to get off and climb the statue. 

You can drink fairy cheaply in New York if you go to regular pubs. A lot of places do happy hours and you can get a pint for cheaper than Edinburgh. Just don't drink in Midtown.

I was there at Christmas. I got charged $13 for a glass of coke in the hotel lobby. We went to a restaurant and for 2 burgers and 3 milkshakes it was $120. The place is good but they rob you blind.

Suck up the cost of staying in Manhattan, get a hotel that's near a subway station. You're not going to be spending much time in your hotel room so don't over do it. Food CAN  be cheap - plenty of deli places do take out food at cheap, cheap prices.  There's a few threads on here about NY and everyone will give you a different tip on where to stay  but for me , it doesn't really matter if you are near the subway. Manhattan isn't that big to get around. 

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge and go see the space shuttle at the Intrepid Museum - my favourites. 

29 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I was there at Christmas. I got charged $13 for a glass of coke in the hotel lobby. We went to a restaurant and for 2 burgers and 3 milkshakes it was $120. The place is good but they rob you blind.

Christ knows where you went for those prices. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Indeed, Taz, you're right in your earlier post. Just do a bit of research and you don't need to break the bank. Plenty places if you look beforehand and don't eat/drink in the tourist traps.

Still need to take a few quid mind !

26 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Suck up the cost of staying in Manhattan, get a hotel that's near a subway station. You're not going to be spending much time in your hotel room so don't over do it. Food CAN  be cheap - plenty of deli places do take out food at cheap, cheap prices.  There's a few threads on here about NY and everyone will give you a different tip on where to stay  but for me , it doesn't really matter if you are near the subway. Manhattan isn't that big to get around. 

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge and go see the space shuttle at the Intrepid Museum - my favourites. 

Good advice. Best points of my last visit cost nothing....Bridge walk and Central Park !

Think when we go back we’d look at Greenwich or Tribeca, really enjoyed the time we spent there.

and eating out in Hells Kitchen, thought there was some excellent restaurant and not that expensive.(well for NY)

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

It was in the Hilton for the coke and black tap for the burgers. That black tap does a great job of bumming itself up and you have to queue for ages to get in then your served mediocre food. That was on the last day when we were trying to get rid of the cash we had left anyway so it wasnt a big deal. We did eat in delis and diners for lunch and breakfast and they were really good for the price. Best thing about New York is the pizza.

Bridge of Djoum

There are several threads already, but...

Where are you looking to fly into?

Accommodation...Try stay away from Midtown Very expensive and busy. Try Brooklyn or downtown. There are a couple places in Long Island City that afford easy access into Manhattan, too.

Do not book Hotel Pennsylvania opposite Penn Station. It's cheap for a reason. Don't think you're getting a deal.

Broadway shows are amazing, but crazy expensive. Do some research, you can find cheaper tickets/times.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. If staying in Manhattan, walk across, stay in BK until dark, then walk back across. 2 different experiences. Walking the Manhattan Bridge is easier as it's much less crowded. Alternatively, walk the Williamsburg Bridge, then spend some time there. Good bars and restaurants.

Little Italy used to be iconic, really no more than a street or 2 now since Chinatown is expanding. If you want great Italian food, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is excellent. Not far from the Bronx Zoo so you can combine the 2.

The obvious places need no explanation, ESB, WTC, the museums, USS Intrepid etc. All are worth a visit.  Please do central Park, and a walk along the Hudson is very nice. They have made a real effort with the parkway along the river.

If you like steak, Sparks is obviously up there, for the food and the notoriety of that night in 1985. Keens is also excellent. Peter Luger in BK has went down a bit recently.

Bars vary in price, Happy hours are everywhere. Anyone who pays $8-10 for a bud is a tit. They deserve to be fleeced.

My favorite bars in Manhattan... McManus on 19th and 7th. Irish dive bar, very old, best burger in the city. The Ear Inn, Spring Street. Another old sailors dive bar. Great mix of people. 

It's easy to make your own NYC experience without recommendations. Every street has yellow cabs, grumpy people, food, bars, steam billowing out of the ground. It's pretty unique and it's energy is palpable. 

Feel free to PM if you need any help.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Did you park your banana boat outside?

:biggrin2:

5 hours ago, XB52 said:

I stayed in a  motel on Long Island and got the train into the heart of the city

We stayed in Long Island City as well, only 3 stops to upper Midtown area.

We got a 4 star with Jacuzzi in our room for the price of 2 star dive in Midtown.

willie wallace
5 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

New York is a huge anti AirBnB city and has very strict rules and regulations that makes it very difficult to rent an apartment.

We are going in October and have rented a AirBnB house in Queens for a week.5mins from the station and a 40 minute ride into Manhattan so not too far.

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Did you park your banana boat outside?

:biggrin2:

You would think so.

Dicks tried to get 2 tips aswell. I don't mind paying for something if it's worth it but they expect top dollar plus a tip for what is basically shite. 

28 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You would think so.

Dicks tried to get 2 tips aswell. I don't mind paying for something if it's worth it but they expect top dollar plus a tip for what is basically shite. 

Tips/tipping really bug us at the best of times. We never do it. Neither my wife or myself got tipped for doing our jobs, so why should anyone else?

And, if the goods are shite, as you say they were, that’s even less reason to do it.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tips/tipping really bug us at the best of times. We never do it. Neither my wife or myself got tipped for doing our jobs, so why should anyone else?

And, if the goods are shite, as you say they were, that’s even less reason to do it.

I feel pressured it's all you hear over there is that the staff need them because the pay is so bad, unless you and your wife work in a cash handling business you wont hear the magical words keep the change or take a few for yourself. I know in my job anyway guys that tip get better treatment. I don't ask for or need the tips but it's a nice wee bonus.

5 hours ago, Herbert said:

They must’ve seen you coming! I spent the same at a two Michelin star restaurant (The Modern) for three courses, a martini and two glasses of wine - for one, admittedly. They don’t take tips either.

As others have said, you just need to do some research. There are so many food options so options for every food at every price point. For drinks, hit up the happy hours, drink spirits (they don’t do measures), tip well if you’re staying in the same place for a while etc. 

27 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I feel pressured it's all you hear over there is that the staff need them because the pay is so bad, unless you and your wife work in a cash handling business you wont hear the magical words keep the change or take a few for yourself. I know in my job anyway guys that tip get better treatment. I don't ask for or need the tips but it's a nice wee bonus.

You make a good point here.

An example my wife always uses is, if you are a child minder, you are looking after the most important thing a person could ever trust you with, and we are pretty sure that they receive no tips for this extremely important job.

I worked in a bar (two nights a week) when we were first married and any tips, as you say, were a nice wee bonus.

6 hours ago, Herbert said:

Making up the prices as they like, thats a joke.

Im out.

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think the clue is in the reference to a hotel lobby. Regular pub/bar prices are little different from here. The hotels I stay in in Manhattan charge $30 plus for breakfast. Walk a hundred yards to a "luncheonette" or deli and you are talking $10.

Francis Albert

And there are many things you can do at little or no cost. The staten island ferry (dirt cheap.or maybe now even free)offers great views of the statue of liberty and ellis island  and the manhattan skyline. For the latter a walk across Brooklyn Bridge is free with exhiliarating views The subway is cheper than the london tube or edinburgh buses or trams.Pop into Grand central terminal for one of the great urban spaces anywhere. "The great big city is a wonderful toy just made for a girl and boy" as Ella once rightly sang.

Plan to go to NY in the future but fancy doing the Godfather Tour for something different. You get taken to film locations and mafia haunts around the city.

Obviously it’s got to be of individual interest but I’ve always been intrigued by the subject myself. ?

will-i-am-a-jambo

One cool thing l did in NY is at one tube station at the end of the line (might actually be the one for the ferry l can't remember now) if you stay on the tube at the terminal it turns round to go back and there's  A secret unused subway station. I'm sure they've used it for films such as ghost. Will get back to you on the name of the station and line Will need to check my diary.

6 hours ago, willie wallace said:

New York is a huge anti AirBnB city and has very strict rules and regulations that makes it very difficult to rent an apartment.

We are going in October and have rented a AirBnB house in Queens for a week.5mins from the station and a 40 minute ride into Manhattan so not too far.

I’ve done a bit more research today and I’ve been resding all about NYC’s aversion to short term rents. I’m now strongly considering staying outside and commuting in. It seems to be the done thing for a lot of people. I’m looking at places in Union City, New Jersey. The Latino area, very up and coming and a 20 minute bus journey outside the Rush Hour. Any info on Union City welcome.

7 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I’ve done a bit more research today and I’ve been resding all about NYC’s aversion to short term rents. I’m now strongly considering staying outside and commuting in. It seems to be the done thing for a lot of people. I’m looking at places in Union City, New Jersey. The Latino area, very up and coming and a 20 minute bus journey outside the Rush Hour. Any info on Union City welcome.

I wouldn't be arsing about with buses, get a place near a subway stop.

8 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I've used Airbnb countless times in Manhattan and never had any bother. There are literally thousands of places available. I'd recommend staying in Manhattan for the experience in itself. 

The Real Maroonblood

Ate in Essen corner of West 36th Street and 8th Avenue.

Thought it was great value. The cost is by weight of the food.

Bridge of Djoum
12 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

One cool thing l did in NY is at one tube station at the end of the line (might actually be the one for the ferry l can't remember now) if you stay on the tube at the terminal it turns round to go back and there's  A secret unused subway station. I'm sure they've used it for films such as ghost. Will get back to you on the name of the station and line Will need to check my diary.

The old City Hall station. 

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Oh oh, oh oh what are we gonna do. 

Union, Union, Union City Blue.

Great record, filmed in Union City docklands that was later regenerated. 

Not much use to you but enjoy

?

I remember it Jonno and agree. I'm 51! I recall being down the shops aged 12/13 and bumping into a kid from my class at Hamilton Grammar who'd just bought the single. 

I have noticed you're a fan of the city of Boston and I'm actually flying in there to stay with my Weedgie mate before heading South. I've been before. Cracking city.

https://youtu.be/Hvqgb1D6Opw

4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

The old City Hall station. 

Ah, I'm glad you've chimed in. With your now extensive local knowledge, can you recommend good and not too expensive areas outside Manhattan to Airbnb and commute in from? I'll be staying a week.

I've looked at Queens, Union City, Long Island and North Bergen. Seacaucas looks useful too.

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Ah, I'm glad you've chimed in. With your now extensive local knowledge, can you recommend good and not too expensive areas outside Manhattan to Airbnb and commute in from? I'll be staying a week.

I've looked at Queens, Union City, Long Island and North Bergen. Seacaucas looks useful too.

In a word, mate. Hoboken, NJ. A great town, has a very ''Brooklyn'' feel about it. It's right on the Hudson and you can get the PATH train straight into Manhattan. That train will take you to Christopher St, WTC, and 23rd Street I think. 

Airbnb prices in Hoboken Are very reasonable. Birthplace of Frank Sinatra, too.

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

In a word, mate. Hoboken. A great town, has a very ''Brooklyn'' feel about it. It's right on the Hudson and you can get the PATH train straight into Manhattan. That train will take you to Christopher St, WTC, and 23rd Street I think. 

Airbnb prices in Hoboken Are very reasonable. Birthplace of Frank Sinatra, too.

TVM. I'll get looking. When I travel, I always put big value on local knowledge. I'd much prefer a train or subway commute to a bus one because I understand the Lincoln Tunnel can be a nightmare at times. The fumes can't be too healthy either.

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Rudi's bar. $3? a pint and a free hot dog with each one if you desire.

Great name anaw. 

That's me sold.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Rudi's bar. $3? a pint and a free hot dog with each one if you desire.

Great name anaw. 

Rudy's, no?

Went there for a few days a few years ago. The prices are usually written outside before you go in so if it looks expensive just try somewhere else. Never paid too much more than Edinburgh prices. $6 dollars a pint. Did pay a silly amount for a vodka soda in a wanky club but was prepared so no biggie.

Bridge of Djoum
11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

TVM. I'll get looking. When I travel, I always put big value on local knowledge. I'd much prefer a train or subway commute to a bus one because I understand the Lincoln Tunnel can be a nightmare at times. The fumes can't be too healthy either.

11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

You could try Jersey City, also. Has several PATH train stations.

13 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Rudy's, no?

Ah maybe. Couldn't see much at the end! 

28 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

If it's a 50/50 between Liberty Island and Ellis Island, choose the latter. Far more interesting.

Ellis was shit. It's a warehouse filled with some cheap props and a big empty room on top with a really slippy floor. I watched something on Ellis island before I went so was looking forward to it but the documentary was more interesting than the actual place. I was really disappointed with it tbh.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Ah maybe. Couldn't see much at the end! 

Sorry for the pedantry. 

'Tis a good bar, though. Hell's Kitchen is a good night out.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Ellis was shit. It's a warehouse filled with some cheap props and a big empty room on top with a really slippy floor. I watched something on Ellis island before I went so was looking forward to it but the documentary was more interesting than the actual place. I was really disappointed with it tbh.

You went to the museum or just the Grand Hall? I thought it was very interesting, the sense of history and the stories of the people coming through there. How it shaped an entire nation. Each to their own I guess.

There is also a private tour that you can go on if you know the right people. Only done after dark.

13 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

City Hall?