Worlds population.

The Old Tolbooth

This is exactly why, on a large scale, curing cancer and AIDS would be disastrous for the human race. If more people are born and live longer, as you say John, the Earth's resources will become exhausted. And, barring some major technological achievement, that puts us, as a species, up **** creek.

However, nature has a way of evening itself out. If population growth continues or increases for the next few centuries/millenia then I think there's every chance the human race could see a new Bubonic Plague; a new AIDS or even a natural disaster, which will wipe out billions, returning the population to a sustainable level. It happens all the time in nature and has happened before in terms of humans, although on a much smaller scale.

This is something I think about quite often. Bacteria and infections are opportunists; they'll target something upon which to prey and exploit it time and again. In terms of humans, the most important and constant ways of life are: breathing, eating, sex and excretion (think about the number of infections etc which target one or more of these things). As I said, if population growth continues to increase, something's gotta give and I predict we'll lose.

At least we'll all be dead :)

The Old Tolbooth
This is exactly why, on a large scale, curing cancer and AIDS would be disastrous for the human race. If more people are born and live longer, as you say John, the Earth's resources will become exhausted. And, barring some major technological achievement, that puts us, as a species, up **** creek.

However, nature has a way of evening itself out. If population growth continues or increases for the next few centuries/millenia then I think there's every chance the human race could see a new Bubonic Plague; a new AIDS or even a natural disaster, which will wipe out billions, returning the population to a sustainable level. It happens all the time in nature and has happened before in terms of humans, although on a much smaller scale.

This is something I think about quite often. Bacteria and infections are opportunists; they'll target something upon which to prey and exploit it time and again. In terms of humans, the most important and constant ways of life are: breathing, eating, sex and excretion (think about the number of infections etc which target one or more of these things). As I said, if population growth continues to increase, something's gotta give and I predict we'll lose.

At least we'll all be dead :)

You paint such a lovely picture :confused:

:D

I have to say I agree with you though.

The Old Tolbooth
Time for World War 3 if you ask me.

Mate, at least we can have a clear conscience, we're doing our part to lower the age of life expectancy ;)

From this thread, John, you have given us a guy who believes that curing AIDS and Cancer would result in the destruction of Mankind. And a guy who wreckons a nuclear war is the answer. And you agree with me. I hope you are proud of yourself!

It is **** like you who make me want to leave this dump:D

Only joking I actually agree with Neaves point and have never considered it before.

Mate, at least we can have a clear conscience, we're doing our part to lower the age of life expectancy ;)

Been away for the last 2 nights and just slept through half the footie. I reckon I'll be lucky to last the week.

Boaby Ewing

Balls to that. Let's rag the arse of this world while we can.

Wishing AIDS and cancer on large swathes of the population just so future generations can have a better time of it is a pile of ******.

Any idea of stopping people having kids (beyond increasing wealth per capita and a sensible approach towards birth control) or wishing death on those already living, is, frankly, baws.

The Old Tolbooth
From this thread, John, you have given us a guy who believes that curing AIDS and Cancer would result in the destruction of Mankind. And a guy who wreckons a nuclear war is the answer. And you agree with me. I hope you are proud of yourself!

It is **** like you who make me want to leave this dump:D

Only joking I actually agree with Neaves point and have never considered it before.

:laugh:

Love it mate!

The Old Tolbooth
Balls to that. Let's rag the arse of this world while we can.

Wishing AIDS and cancer on large swathes of the population just so future generations can have a better time of it is a pile of ******.

Any idea of stopping people having kids (beyond increasing wealth per capita and a sensible approach towards birth control) or wishing death on those already living, is, frankly, baws.

But surely Hibs fans shouldn't be allowed to breed? ;)

And yet we have folk in this country wasting time and money on IVF. There are fecking MILLIONS of abandoned kids out there and there are people who are so vain and selfish that they just have to bring their own ugly wee brat into this overpopulated ****ehole. Then you have folk who can barely even feed themselves popping out an endless supply of kids - it's time for there to be a licence for having kids!

Cure for cancer!? The human race is a cancer and there aint no cure!

The world has gone mad and it's all going to go tits up sooner rather than later. There is far too much greed, corruption, materialism, capitalism and pure stupidity for it to just keep on going the way it is.

The Old Tolbooth
And yet we have folk in this country wasting time and money on IVF. There are fecking MILLIONS of abandoned kids out there and there are people who are so vain and selfish that they just have to bring their own ugly wee brat into this overpopulated ****ehole. Then you have folk who can barely even feed themselves popping out an endless supply of kids - it's time for there to be a licence for having kids!

Cure for cancer!? The human race is a cancer and there aint no cure!

The world has gone mad and it's all going to go tits up sooner rather than later. There is far too much greed, corruption, materialism, capitalism and pure stupidity for it to just keep on going the way it is.

Maximus for Prime Minister

VoteHere.jpg

:)

chester copperpot

This threads a bit liberal aint it.

Am I the only one in here that thinks that the 2004 Tsunami was a good thing. ;) Thats a joke BTW

chester copperpot
To be honest 9/11 was better to watch.

Aye but 5K human loss wont make much of a difference, whereas 300K can do some damage, if there's enough of them.

I'm waiting on the mountain collapse on the Volcano just off the African coast which will wipe out 25-30 million Americans.

That's the daddy of disasters, and will happen within 50 years IMO.

Is there not a volcano in Central park or yellow park or sighthill park or something set to go off?

Is there not a volcano in Central park or yellow park or sighthill park or something set to go off?

Yellowstone Park. And if it goes it could be the biggest ever.

chester copperpot

Watched a programme on it a few months ago, if it does happen, the world will be under a cloud of dust for years, everything will die, and the Sulphur Dioxide will kill billions too.

Selfish bloody Americans.

Boaby Ewing

That smug ersed bear is in for a feckin' shock.

When will it next erupt?

Scientist have discovered that the ground in Yellowstone if 74cm higher than in was in 1923 - indicating a massive swelling underneath the park. The reservoir is filling with magma at an alarming rate. The volcano erupts with a near-clockwork cycle of every 600,000 years. The last eruption was more than 640,000 years ago - we are overdue for annihilation.

chester copperpot
That smug ersed bear is in for a feckin' shock.

:laugh:

Booboo's fecked anaw.

Boaby Ewing
Jesus, I just read the whole article and we're apparently overdue a mega eruption as it normally happens like clockwork :confused:

As our resident gingerbaws poster hasn't been on for a while, I'll step in and say it's just another good reason while renting for the next few years is probably the best bet. :P

chester copperpot
As our resident gingerbaws poster hasn't been on for a while, I'll step in and say it's just another good reason while renting for the next few years is probably the best bet. :P

Haha again Dave, gonny stop it.

The Old Tolbooth

Heh heh, wont matter a fak whether we rent or buy cos we'll be deid! ;)

Harry Palmer

The human population would be less if we had not tried to find a solution to every human ailment. Basically, why try and prolong life, if there is something that humans are not meant to have defences against, at least let Charles Darwin (evolution) take control; I'm sure that a few of our 6bn will survive a deadly disease... and pass those genes on.....

Aye but 5K human loss wont make much of a difference, whereas 300K can do some damage, if there's enough of them.

I'm waiting on the mountain collapse on the Volcano just off the African coast which will wipe out 25-30 million Americans.

That's the daddy of disasters, and will happen within 50 years IMO.

Your opinion? or the opinion of experts in the given field who have done years of research on the possible disaster..only to have you jump on the bandwagon and claim credit on here ;)

davemclaren
The human population would be less if we had not tried to find a solution to every human ailment. Basically, why try and prolong life, if there is something that humans are not meant to have defences against, at least let Charles Darwin (evolution) take control; I'm sure that a few of our 6bn will survive a deadly disease... and pass those genes on.....

Yip, let's get back to when the average lifespan was around 35. :rolleyes:

Without wishing disaster and disease on humankind, it is interesting that over half the humans who have ever lived are on the Earth just now. I agree with the poster who pointed out the aptitude of viruses and bacteria to target human physiology.

People have a vague hope that scientists will discover a cure for HIV/AIDS. No cure for a viral disease has ever been found and a cure for HIV will, in my opinion remain a pipedream. There are two types of HIV; HIV-1 and HIV-2. There are 3 groups of HIV-1, M, N and O. Within group M, there are 9 sub-types of genetically distinct viruses. In addition, two or more of the sub-types may infect the same individual, triggering genetic recombinations. These may or may not form new sub-groups. It is impossible to find a cure for something that is changing so rapidly.

This is actually something I have sat and thought about many times. How far can we go with medical science? If we keep prolonging people's lives through science, then we have to find a solution to over population. That solution could be manifested in various ways. Populating areas of the earth that are so far inhabitable is one. Unfortunatley most of the uninhabited areas are also pretty desolate so that does not give us any more food. Another solution is along the Chinese route of restricting the number of children we have. Not being an intelectual I don't know what the answer is but I reckon medical science is going too far.

War and pestilence will prevail in the end.

deesidejambo
Without wishing disaster and disease on humankind, it is interesting that over half the humans who have ever lived are on the Earth just now. I agree with the poster who pointed out the aptitude of viruses and bacteria to target human physiology.

People have a vague hope that scientists will discover a cure for HIV/AIDS. No cure for a viral disease has ever been found and a cure for HIV will, in my opinion remain a pipedream. There are two types of HIV; HIV-1 and HIV-2. There are 3 groups of HIV-1, M, N and O. Within group M, there are 9 sub-types of genetically distinct viruses. In addition, two or more of the sub-types may infect the same individual, triggering genetic recombinations. These may or may not form new sub-groups. It is impossible to find a cure for something that is changing so rapidly.

I didn't know there were so many brainy people on this site! Anyway, it will all end in war to complete for the remaining resources. Brave New World.

Kurosawa pretty much got it right in his film Yuma - it featured a dream sequence of a post apocalyptic world where genetic 'freaks' fight over the last few puddles of black water. Right now the world is on a rapid downward spiral and all the major political powers care about is how much oil they can suck out of the planet and how much they can make from it. As a species, we never seem to get our priorities right, we always get more caught up in trivial matters than the bigger picture.

chester copperpot
Your opinion? or the opinion of experts in the given field who have done years of research on the possible disaster..only to have you jump on the bandwagon and claim credit on here ;)

Haha, fair point, and one I would give you, if it wasn't for the fact that I studied the activity of Volcanoe's at university. ;)

We are blindly fattening ourselves up for an alien nations deep freeze.

Feck volcano's, tsunamis, and earth quakes...ET's hungry.

Get a 32" waist now!

Archived