Carribean holidays in January

Disco Dave

The missus wants to go away for her 30th in January and we've been looking at the Dominican Republic. Preferably 4 star and above, all inclusive.

Any JKB'ers recomendations are welcome - We've seen one place which looks the business at ?950 for a fortnight.

Before I go and book with First Choice or whoever, was wondering if anyone has any advice, websites/resorts to book with etc to get a good deal?

All help is appreciated.

cheers,

Dave

Mrs Musemic and I went to Puerto Plata last year, we stayed in the resort of Playa Dorada and the hotel called Gran Ventana. We really enjoyed it and are considering going back next year. It cost us around ?850 (IIRC) for an all inclusive 4* hotel. The hotel was clean, the mini bar in the room was regularly stocked and the food was good. The restaurants were particularly nice.

If you do go, the dark rum is better than the white rum, and take some dollars if you intend on doing tours with your holiday provider but local currency for everything else.

I would suggest you check out things like prospective weather for January though, when it rains it bloody rains!

Niceone Hursef.

Thats exactly the sort of info I'm after. Cheers.

Anyone else got any reports?

Mac Elliott

dave

january is the perfect time to visit the carribean, its when the best weather is.

june- october is generally the rainy season,

US dollars come in handy every where takes them.

have heard different reports about dom rep. some good some bad.

Antigua is a nice alternative and i go to barbados next friday :)

John Findlay

Never been to the Dominican Republic but my brother in law has and unfortunately he wont be repeating his visit.

Personally recommend, Aruba, Barbados and Antigua in that order.

As an earlier poster stated January a perfect time to visit the Caribbean. Well outside the hurricane season.

John

dave

january is the perfect time to visit the carribean, its when the best weather is.

june- october is generally the rainy season,

US dollars come in handy every where takes them.

have heard different reports about dom rep. some good some bad.

Antigua is a nice alternative and i go to barbados next friday :)

We found this too, the only problem was that the teller often made up the exchange rate and scored a bit extra out of us.

John Findlay

Wee tip. Pounds to East Caribbean dollars then from them to US dollars.

John

Mrs Tazio is obsessed with the idea of the Dominican Republic but I don't fancy it. Maybe I'm a snob (probably actually) but it doesn't seem like a real Caribbean destination to me somehow. If I was to go to that part of the world I'd much prefer one of the more classic places. I also know a few people who went and didn't have that a great time as they felt restricted to their resort.

Mrs Tazio is obsessed with the idea of the Dominican Republic but I don't fancy it. Maybe I'm a snob (probably actually) but it doesn't seem like a real Caribbean destination to me somehow. If I was to go to that part of the world I'd much prefer one of the more classic places. I also know a few people who went and didn't have that a great time as they felt restricted to their resort.

It is a step inbetween European destinations and what you would class a "real Caribbean" destination, and the price reflects that. I really fancy Jamaica, but the cost is a little too much at the moment. Whereas the Dominican Republic is competitive financially with your standard European destinations but offering more IMO.

It is a step inbetween European destinations and what you would class a "real Caribbean" destination, and the price reflects that. I really fancy Jamaica, but the cost is a little too much at the moment. Whereas the Dominican Republic is competitive financially with your standard European destinations but offering more IMO.

Pretty much how I see it. I may consider it depending on the tour operator, for example I have used Kuoni a couple of times and found them excellent in their choice of hotels.

jambos are go!

Put Debbies Dominican Republic into google to get good reviews and info. Go after a food poisoning outbreak and get it really cheap with enhanced hygeine measures.

Really depends on what you are looking for to be honest, if its your standard beach holiday ten go for the Dom Rep, but if you fancy something a bit more adventurous around the Central American region then try this website for some ideas http://www.reefandrainforest.co.uk/intro.php Ive used them a couple of times and they are great. They make sure that all the accommodation you stay in is first class, even if you want to stay in the middle of the rainforrest they have 5 star resorts.

We have toured Belize 3 or 4 times now and the first couple of times we used them. We never stayed in one place longer than 3 nights and they organised all the transport between resorts, from boats to chartered planes. Remember as well Belize and Mexico also have the second biggest barrier reef in the world which is amazing for snorkeling or scuba.

Get yourself a cruise sorted out,they are the business.

Done the Carribean in January,Barbados,Antigua etc. Quality holiday!

I'm going to Cuba in earlyAugust, 2 weeks all inclusive on the beach!!

Anyone been that time of year???

Never actually thought about hurricane season - presumed that was always in mid to late septemebr!!!

Whoops!!

Never been to the Dominican Republic but my brother in law has and unfortunately he wont be repeating his visit.

He wasn't playing away with a young senorita from the resort he was staying in was he

No wonder he doesn't want to go back

Wee tip. Pounds to East Caribbean dollars then from them to US dollars.

John

explain

Stefan

To me the Domincan Republic would be a no go. I know the south of the island better (around Santa Domingo and Rio Haina). Absolute pits. Anyone I know who has been to the places in the north tell me they are advised not to leave the camp. Not for me I am afraid to say. If I wanted to go and lie on abeach for two weeks I would not go past Europe. Sand is sand. Good places in the Caribean for me are the alphabet islands, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Smaller places tend to be better but dearer as well in my opinion.

Jamaica is good. All inc in a decent resort, and stick to daytime with the trips.

Don't go to the Holiday Inn at Montego Bay.

Craig Gordons Gloves

We had 2 weeks in Aruba last year, and it was fantastic! We didnt stay at an all inclusive resort given thats not really what we like to do on holiday, we stayed at a local hotel on eagle beach which was just fantastic. The weather is amazing, the people are genuinely friendly and there is so much to do if you want to = or just lie on the beach. We went in March - although it is a hell of alot easier and cheaper from here, we still got talking to a few brits and they were having a great time as well without a huge cost.

I work with some guys whose family are from the DR and they have said that it can be quite crappy from a tourist perspective in that you are kind of stuck to your resort. All depends on how you like your holiday.

jamboinheaven

we have been to dom rep twice,i wouldnt of gone back if i didnt love the place,we were also flew into puerto plata 4 star plus occidental in playa dorada,excellent little central part where there a few bars and pizza hut etc also the trips were magic but the whole hotel complex restuarants etc were superd ,we could of stayed there for 2 weeks with out leaving,excuse speeling mistakes im drunk lol

I've been to Barbados, St Lucia (twice) and Turks & Caicos. I've done all-inclusive (Sandals and Almond Beach Village) and normal hotels. Downside of all-inclusive is you have no incentive to get off the resort and have a look round.

Not being snobby, but Dominican Republic isn't really the proper Caribbean. It's Spain located in a different place. If that floats your boat, I'm sure it'll be great, but personally I'd head to one of the proper islands.

My brother is in the Domician Republic just now, my nephew and niece loved last nights tropical thunderstorm . :)

jambos are go!
I've been to Barbados, St Lucia (twice) and Turks & Caicos. I've done all-inclusive (Sandals and Almond Beach Village) and normal hotels. Downside of all-inclusive is you have no incentive to get off the resort and have a look round.

Not being snobby, but Dominican Republic isn't really the proper Caribbean. It's Spain located in a different place. If that floats your boat, I'm sure it'll be great, but personally I'd head to one of the proper islands.

I've been there. Expensive but I thought the beach at Grace Bay was so great I cant believe it can be bettered. Wonderful never ending white sands and calm beautiful blue sea. Quiet which suited us although there was a lot of building going on.

I've been to Jamaica twice. First time i went, was in 2000, stayed in a phenomenal hotel in Ochio Rios. Absolute heaven. TBH, there were day trips from the hotel everyday to different places, but there was no real need to leave the resort as it was unbelievably all inclusive.

They did advise not to leave the resort on foot, unless on official trips.

The second time we went, we stayed in a hotel in Montego Bay and it wasn't so good. We arranged a transfer to another hotel further along the coast and we drove ourselves, through several small villages, and got no bother at all. Safe to say the doors were locked in the car, but the only trouble we got was when stopping at traffic lights; wee guys trying to sell roses for the women and sunglasses for the lads.

All in all though, Jamaica is an absolutely fantastic place to go. 100% reccomendation from myself. I'd reccomend the Dunns River Falls as a place to see. We climbed them and it was a fantastic day out. Also, Luminious Lagoon was an experience aswell.

I've heard mixed reports about Dom Rep.

alwaysthereinspirit
The missus wants to go away for her 30th in January and we've been looking at the Dominican Republic. Preferably 4 star and above, all inclusive.

Any JKB'ers recomendations are welcome - We've seen one place which looks the business at ?950 for a fortnight.

Before I go and book with First Choice or whoever, was wondering if anyone has any advice, websites/resorts to book with etc to get a good deal?

All help is appreciated.

cheers,

Dave

Dominican Republic is great for all inclusive holidays but two weeks is too long. You'll be bored to tears because you cant leave the resort. The place is disgusting once you go outside the resorts. You'll end up with cabin fever. Better going on a cruise to different destinations.

Cyprus Jambo

Dave,

heading out to the South East - Punto Cana next Monday. We've upgraded a bit, 5 star, junior suite so will let you know what it's like when I get back. It's a resort with 3 sister hotels altogther so plenty of relaxing, drinking and eating.

I've been to the North before - Playa Dorada and stayed near the Gran Ventana (mentioned ealier), at the Fun Tropical. Only a 3 star but if you want a relaxing holiday it's ideal. The complex has around 30 hotels and if you want a bit of time away from your own hotel has a little shopping centre with a picture house and a few restaurants and unlike osme of the hotels, there sell International Brands of drink. Out hotel was all local drinks and most tasted of rum (even the vodka). The Presidenti beer was fine though.

If you have never snorkelled take a trip to Ocean World as it has a man-made reef and was brilliant for first-time/inexperienced snorkellers (spelling).

Archived