Drop Balls

been here before

been here before

I know it all about 'sportsmanship, fair play' and the like these days but I was thinking yesterday during one of the numerous drop balls punted back to the opponents goalie that I miss the days where you'd have two players kicking **** out each other for 5 seconds to get the ball.

Im pretty sure there was one in the game last week v Dundee but other than that I cant think of the last one I saw.

Modern fitba' eh?

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

The VAR drop to Chelsea tonight was bizarre. Not a pen had to be a corner 

I thought that too as the ref didn't whistle before the ball was over the goal line, so the restart had to be a penalty or a corner.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Footballfirst said:

I thought that too as the ref didn't whistle before the ball was over the goal line, so the restart had to be a penalty or a corner.

Suspect directive for drop ball but unfair in this case 

Footballfirst
Just now, Sir Gio said:

I think that is the case if the referee blows his whistle if the ball in still in play e.g. for a potential penalty which is ultimately not given.

The White Cockade

was a weird one yesterday when Olly Lee had the ball in acres off space and ref blew as there was an injury

there was some confusion when Swanson wanted to compete for drop ball but in the end we kicked the ball back to Saints

didn't get that at all

21 minutes ago, been here before said:

I know it all about 'sportsmanship, fair play' and the like these days but I was thinking yesterday during one of the numerous drop balls punted back to the opponents goalie that I miss the days where you'd have two players kicking **** out each other for 5 seconds to get the ball.

Im pretty sure there was one in the game last week v Dundee but other than that I cant think of the last one I saw.

Modern fitba' eh?

There was one in the OF game before new year

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

From the Dutch version of the VAR rules

5.1.11 How does play restart after the review?
Once the referee has reached a final decision, the match must be restarted as follows:
• if a decision is not changed, play restarts according to the original decision
• if a decision is changed or a ‘missed’ offence is identified, play restarts with the correct restart for the ‘new’ decision.
• if play was stopped for a review and the original decision is not overturned, play restarts with a dropped ball where the ball was when play was stopped

6.4 Restarting play after a review
All match officials should remain aware (and ready to advise the referee) of what and where the restart should be, especially if the referee stops play for a review.

21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Modern fitba' eh?

Drew Busby was your man for that! 

d3d0e2381b8f3d7a4219bf2fdb6f87c2.jpg

:yas:

4 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

was a weird one yesterday when Olly Lee had the ball in acres off space and ref blew as there was an injury

there was some confusion when Swanson wanted to compete for drop ball but in the end we kicked the ball back to Saints

didn't get that at all

You're right that we had the ball, but he had a saints player within a yard or so. He was likely about to launch it up or out anyway. But we still should have received the ball back. It was two of their players on the deck.

I think what happened was Swanson said he would challenge for it and we have just decided that we'd rather give them the ball back at their own box instead of give them a 50/50 chance of having it not far from our box. Poor sportsmanship from them but ultimately nothing anyone, including the ref, can do about it.

Swanson went over but I thought it was that absolute welt Davidson that instigated it. He is a horrible player, likes dishing it out but throws himself to the ground at the slightest touch to try to get others booked

Lord Beni of Gorgie
52 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From the Dutch version of the VAR rules

5.1.11 How does play restart after the review?
Once the referee has reached a final decision, the match must be restarted as follows:
• if a decision is not changed, play restarts according to the original decision
• if a decision is changed or a ‘missed’ offence is identified, play restarts with the correct restart for the ‘new’ decision.
• if play was stopped for a review and the original decision is not overturned, play restarts with a dropped ball where the ball was when play was stopped

6.4 Restarting play after a review
All match officials should remain aware (and ready to advise the referee) of what and where the restart should be, especially if the referee stops play for a review.

Technically correct if not morally 

been here before

Quoted the wrong post...

sadj   

sadj
  2 hours ago, been here before said:

Modern fitba' eh?

There was one in the OF game before new year

This one?...

Thats exactly how they should still be contested.

Edited by been here before

24 minutes ago, been here before said:

Quoted the wrong post...

sadj   

sadj

Modern fitba' eh?

This one?...

I agree.

What is sporting about the ref stopping the game due to a head knock after a corner (50%+ of time play acting by supposed injured player) & attacking team has the ball circa 25 yards from goal. When the play resumes, the defending team launch the ball back to the goalie & folk clap for returning the ball 75 yards further up the park.

It's paramount to cheating & I certainly do not join in with the applause.

It would be sporting if the defending team did not compete against the drop ball 25 yards from their goal, but in reality this is never going to happen, so let's get back to a proper "drop ball".

Oh & as a follow up, when are officials going to address throw ins taken 10+yards from the correct position? Only consolation in this scenario, every team are at it!!

3 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

didn't get that at all

Naismith told him to kick it back because it was near our penalty box. Swanson behaving like a penis as usual.

Remember the one against Fenerbache when Csaba was in charge of them. We contested it and they lost their shit. Think this might have directly led to Robbo giving him a boot. 

From what I saw Swanson wanted to give it back to Doyle but the Craig Thomson and a number of our players thought he would use the uncontested drop ball as a chance to tap the ball into the net. Thomson then appeared to take the ball into the corner to limit the possibility of this happening. Then Naismith said we would just give the ball back to their keeper.

Strange situation. His reputation as a horrible hibs Ned preceding him.

7 hours ago, RDSK said:

From what I saw Swanson wanted to give it back to Doyle but the Craig Thomson and a number of our players thought he would use the uncontested drop ball as a chance to tap the ball into the net. Thomson then appeared to take the ball into the corner to limit the possibility of this happening. Then Naismith said we would just give the ball back to their keeper.

Strange situation. His reputation as a horrible hibs Ned preceding him.

Yeah, I think our players didn't trust the wee scrote to give the ball back. 

Quite right too.

10 hours ago, been here before said:

Quoted the wrong post...

sadj   

sadj

Modern fitba' eh?

This one?...

Ha Ha Ha , brilliant.

12 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

Swanson went over but I thought it was that absolute welt Davidson that instigated it. He is a horrible player, likes dishing it out but throws himself to the ground at the slightest touch to try to get others booked

Poorer version of Scott Brown.