Sean Clare.

ZEUS

jack D and coke

Was more impressed with Clare today. I haven’t felt he’s done much at all so far but that goal in the cup and today he worked really hard and showed himself which I felt was his biggest fault so far, to me he didn’t look like he wanted involved.

Starting to show some signs now, great to see I really thought we’d been sold a dud I won’t deny it. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• jamboinglasgow

• The Internet

• Beast Boy

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'll be honest, I don't see it. 

Aye there’s been very little to go on despite a lot of protestation. Things like people claiming he assisted for Lee’s goal at ER personally I thought laughable. However I’ve ripped him a new one since he’s been in the team but today there was signs I thought. Certainly today he started to look like he wanted to know for me. 

It’s a start. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I'll be honest, I don't see it. 

If he was 25-28 coming in a seasoned pro I might agree. But he's got height, decent feet (for a big lad) and a decent shot. If he could add the sort of composure and decision-making Cochrane showed we'd have a player. Definitely not worth writing off just now. At 22 he can improve and 6ft attacking midfielders that age don't come along very often.

I know it's opinions and all that but I really don't get how some folk don't see the talent he has. If he was playing for Aberdeen or something he'd be known as the type of attacking midfielder we're crying out for. Quote me when he's released and signing for some league two team but I'm extremely confident he'll show himself to be a level above soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

According to Wiki, "born 18 September 1996"

So 22 years, 4 months and 8 days old.  

So a young lad around 5 years away from his peak and just back from a nasty injury, learning a new league at a massive club hasn’t absolutely torn apart the SPL for arse paper yet?

What’s the story here, I don’t get it?

44 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I know it's opinions and all that but I really don't get how some folk don't see the talent he has.

He hasn't shown much at all yet but he is definately progressing. Hopefully he can kick on and help us win the Scottish Cup. 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You see what happens when you give players time instead of writing them off after half an hour.

Clare imo isn’t even half way there yet, plenty more to come from him but we’ll probably not see that on a consistent basis until next season 

Agree with that. There was a few moments during the match when he was able to get past players with neat little touches and give himself space which he was able to put the ball into the area which shows the potential of what he can do when fully up to speed. 

Thought though he hit the post in the second half, the angle which he had to hit the ball showed someone who has a great eye and ability for goal. It looked too narrow for a shot to be taken but he got it away. 

A guy in front of me was criticising him every time he got the ball (or even when he got near the ball.) Then when he did something good, the guy still criticised him. Bizarrely after moaning about Clare for the whole match, questioning why Levein was playing him, when Clare was being subbed the guy was standing up clapping him (and not in an applauding Levein for taking him off way.) Some fans are weird at matches.

Certainly performed much better in the last 2 games, adding end product to the good positions he was already making for himself. He looks like one of the players capable of dictating tempo, evident in some really intelligent play all over the park. His slide interceptions are a joy to behold. Keep it up! 

22 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Agree with that. There was a few moments during the match when he was able to get past players with neat little touches and give himself space which he was able to put the ball into the area which shows the potential of what he can do when fully up to speed. 

Thought though he hit the post in the second half, the angle which he had to hit the ball showed someone who has a great eye and ability for goal. It looked too narrow for a shot to be taken but he got it away. 

A guy in front of me was criticising him every time he got the ball (or even when he got near the ball.) Then when he did something good, the guy still criticised him. Bizarrely after moaning about Clare for the whole match, questioning why Levein was playing him, when Clare was being subbed the guy was standing up clapping him (and not in an applauding Levein for taking him off way.) Some fans are weird at matches.

Was this guy also criticising Djoum

and Mulraney?

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Was this guy also criticising Djoum

and Mulraney?

Not during this game. Though his target in the past was Djoum. 

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Not during this game. Though his target in the past was Djoum. 

I’ve noticed at games that certain players are definitely targeted for abuse far more quickly than other players. These targeted players receive a lot less patience and understanding from certain fans ... 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve noticed at games that certain players are definitely targeted for abuse far more quickly than other players. These targeted players receive a lot less patience and understanding from certain fans ... 

Your not alone in thinking that.

Stewie Griffin
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You don’t sit in section A do you ? I had a guy sat behind me criticising Clare the whole game.

You don't get much time on the ball in this league, and its much more physical than he is used to. 

Each game he seems to be growing and I think things are beginning to click with him. Having Naismith alongside him will do wonders. I've really noticed that he seems to be taking on the physical challenge which is massive. Plenty players can't hack it but he seems to be really trying to find his feet.

I really, really want to see Clare come good. It’s obvious that he has ability. My biggest issue with him is that he doesn’t look for the ball. You look at Naismith and he’s dropping back to get involved. Clare doesn’t do that. I think he shirks responsibility for the ball but I also think it’s a confidence thing. I’ve no doubt he had the ability. He just needs the belief. 

9 hours ago, greig said:

I thought he was poor today. there is no doubt he has technical ability and a physical presence, but struggles to read a game and lacks basic "football intelligence". There was times he should have been making runs and didn't,  plus others where he moved around with defender tracking him but he didn't really make him self available or run the channels well.

If you compare how close Lee played to Naisy on the right hand side, to where Clare played on the left side, it was chalk and cheese.

If he gets some brains, confidence and a bit fitter, we may have half a player.

Clare was better than Lee. 

9 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I know it's opinions and all that but I really don't get how some folk don't see the talent he has. If he was playing for Aberdeen or something he'd be known as the type of attacking midfielder we're crying out for. Quote me when he's released and signing for some league two team but I'm extremely confident he'll show himself to be a level above soon enough. 

It's because some folk have already made up their minds about him based on his poor start.

They can't lose face and say he's starting to look good.

We've even got posters on this thread saying he was poor yesterday FFS :lol:

His driving run in the first half down the left wing past two or three players was fantastic and in the second half he was heavily involved in all our best work. Also tracked back and made a great last man tackle. Wins a fair few aerial challenges too. 

Getting better every game ??

Clare has a style of play where he can look quite lethargic and one paced. But I think we are starting to see a bit of a player emerge. He can dribble, beat a man and offer a goal threat. It's taken him time but I think for me game by game he is looking better. I think the pace and physically demanding nature maybe caught him out a bit initially coming off a long injury lay off.

You could see from the get go he has raw talent and potential. People forget he’s not had the same route to football like others, he’s not been in youth systems of professional clubs from the age of 11 or 12 like most youngsters, he’s only been in a professional setup for less than three years since leaving the Nike Academy. (Same route as Tom Rogic incidentally) He’s yet to play 100 first team games at 22. This means there’s times his positional awareness or decision making isn’t fitting right, you can see players like Djoum and Naismith having a word with him and getting frustrated. But he’s learning on the job - and quickly - and proving he merits his place. He’s getting better every game and once the raw talent becomes instilled know how he’s going to kick on many gears. He has the capability to go way beyond our level, as with any player it’s up to him to realise that potential.

Fans that still write him off or “just don’t see it” are either deluded or too stubborn to admit they could be wrong. A guy who sits near me called him lazy the other night. Lazy. Clare, who tracks back, puts in a physical challenge, wins headers and constantly making runs is lazy? Aye, get away back to the bookies and the old man pub ya welt... Spoke to one guy who said he done “nothing” against Livingston. Grumbled when I pointed out the god damn winner was scored by him. Beggars belief sometimes how players like Lee can breeze by going whole halves or even games being anonymous and get songs sung about them but players like Clare that put all the effort in the world and actually create opportunities and openings get written off.

Clare IS playing well, and he’s going to play much, much better too. I for one will support him along the way. (Imagine that, a supporter of a team supporting the team’s players)

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You could see from the get go he has raw talent and potential. People forget he’s not had the same route to football like others, he’s not been in youth systems of professional clubs from the age of 11 or 12 like most youngsters, he’s only been in a professional setup for less than three years since leaving the Nike Academy. (Same route as Tom Rogic incidentally) He’s yet to play 100 first team games at 22. This means there’s times his positional awareness or decision making isn’t fitting right, you can see players like Djoum and Naismith having a word with him and getting frustrated. But he’s learning on the job - and quickly - and proving he merits his place. He’s getting better every game and once the raw talent becomes instilled know how he’s going to kick on many gears. He has the capability to go way beyond our level, as with any player it’s up to him to realise that potential.

Fans that still write him off or “just don’t see it” are either deluded or too stubborn to admit they could be wrong. A guy who sits near me called him lazy the other night. Lazy. Clare, who tracks back, puts in a physical challenge, wins headers and constantly making runs is lazy? Aye, get away back to the bookies and the old man pun ya welt... Spoke to one guy who said he done “nothing” against Livingston. Grumbled when I pointed out the god damn winner was scored by him. Beggars belief sometimes how players like Lee can breeze by going whole halves or even games being anonymous and get songs sung about them but players like Clare that put all the effort in the world and actually create opportunities and openings get written off.

Clare IS playing well, and he’s going to play much, much better too. I for one will support him along the way. (Imagine that, a supporter of a team supporting the team’s players)

:greatpost:

pettigrewsstylist

Performance level becoming more like the reqd but no more than that. Still a bit wasteful in possession. 

Long may it continue.

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Fans that still write him off or “just don’t see it” are either deluded or too stubborn to admit they could be wrong. A guy who sits near me called him lazy the other night. Lazy. Clare, who tracks back, puts in a physical challenge, wins headers and constantly making runs is lazy? Aye, get away back to the bookies and the old man pub ya welt... Spoke to one guy who said he done “nothing” against Livingston. Grumbled when I pointed out the god damn winner was scored by him. Beggars belief sometimes how players like Lee can breeze by going whole halves or even games being anonymous and get songs sung about them but players like Clare that put all the effort in the world and actually create opportunities and openings get written off.

Take a bow.

Part of the problem as well is fans expectations. He arrived with some fanfare (not his doing) and some are expecting him to absolutely dominate games. 

As you said, he's a young lad who's not had a huge amount of football. Let's actually start encouraging him, we've a player on our hands.

Another good showing from Clare. He clearly needs an arm round him and is going to be a confidence player for the time being.

Looks to me like the haters are going to have to find someone else to hate.

Getting better every game. Potentially very good. 

Crazy the unwarranted criticism he gets. Guy in front of me berated him yesterday when he had the bell facing our goal on midway. Someone had made a run behind him, which apparently Clare was sh!te for not playing it. Barring eyes on the back of his head & then chipping it up and overhead kicking it, the pass was never on. He passed to a Hearts player and we kept possession. 

He’s definitely improving that’s for sure, some of things he tries you can tell he’s a player. We should be right behind him every time he’s on the ball as I think a fully confident Clare has potential to destroy this league. There are however roasters in our support, none more obvious than the 3 behind me in main pr at the Livi game moaning for 40mins that Lee wasn’t on. It got to the point every time they said that I’d shout out encouragement to Olly and they were still none the wiser :facepalm:

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

His driving run in the first half down the left wing past two or three players was fantastic and in the second half he was heavily involved in all our best work. Also tracked back and made a great last man tackle. Wins a fair few aerial challenges too. 

Getting better every game ??

He wins the vast majority of balls in the air and is also good at winning the ball and starting another attack without giving away a foul. I think he could potentially be most effect playing right wing back due to these qualities and his ability to drive forward with the ball at his feet. Suppose it depends on the Development of Godinho but a fully fit team could line up:

Doyle 

Souttar.   Smith.   Berra.

Clare.Djoum.Haring.Lee.Mulraney 

Uche.   Naismith.

Think the wingback or winger position on each flank are open to debate but the back three and midfield three almost pick themselves. The midfield selection is incredibly harsh on Bozanic who was outstanding yesterday but I think Haring takes that spot. Clare, Morrison, Smith or Godinho could play on the right . Garrucio, Mitchell or Mulraney could play on the left. Upfront, if Vanacek proves to live up to half the hype you could pair him with Uche and drop Naismith into the midfield at Lee’s expense. The most encouraging think about yesterday was that a lot of young players played but also had a big impact. Godinho, Souttar, morrison, Mulraney, Mitchell and Clare are all young guys and all look to be improving, perhaps Mitchell aside. 

Said it after his first game, the guy has it in him to be a real star for us. Each game he is getting better and better. If course he still has a bit to go but there are more and more glimpses of a real footballer. With Naismith coaching him on the field i don't think it will be too much longer before our fans? Have to pick on another target

Fitzroy Pointon

Think he needs to work on his shooting. He's going to get onto positions where he will have a clear look at goal. So far, Sunday aside (which was a well taken goal) his shooting has been a bit powder puff. 

Thought he wasn’t great today today but first half he had a tremendous run down the left, showed superb pace .He is now working harder but sometimes looks unsure what his role is.

Edited by chico1874

Dr Ian Malcolm

He's showing in bursts what he's about. Has pace and can get in behind from midfield as well as driving forward with possession. Even when he was fairly anonymous during the majority of the first half, he'll do what's required to help the team.

As has been said, next season isn't when we're more likely to see it all come together. He's different to what we've been used to.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I hadn't realised that and it explains a lot. As you say he is getting better every game and I wonder just how good he will be next season. 

Over the last few games he's been more consistently throwing in moments that show his potential.  Yesterday he had a number of nice touches and looked dangerous.  Really unlucky not to score again.

Still very raw and I think it'll take a while to see his best but encouraging signs

He will be a lot like Naismith. He was out injured for a good few months before he came here. Has been rushed in because of injury problems. Has had to battle away to get his fitness and sharpness levels up. Injury free and we could have a very good player on our hands. One that could be worth a few bob too.  

Edited by johnking123

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great post. 

Of course the less intelligent won't have clue what you are on about. 

Mind you, I said Wighton would come good and I stand by that.

In regards to Wighton, I do think he will come good too. The injuries need to be sorted out (think he is due back from injury soon) but I think given time he will show the player he can be.

On 26/01/2019 at 16:59, Herbert said:

What has Clare done to be an embarrassment?

His last 3 games he's came on leaps and bounds and hes getting better every game. 

I think most of the pundits agree he hasn't looked the best but I do agree that he is improving. Long may it continue

Not sure where he gets into the team once Uche and Haring are back. All will be revealed