Windsor Davies

Marvin

Terrible show.  They might show reruns of it in tribute. No, I didn't think so.

Edited by ri Alban

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It was for the time. Be racist now, probably. 

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hope not, never liked it.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Bizarre.  You never liked the show he is known for, but started the RIP thread.   Maybe you are a Never The Twain fan. 

No matter.  I will be amazed if they show even one episode again.  Such is the political climate, and snowflake mentality of many. 

Edited by Paolo

20 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Bizarre.  You never liked the show he is known for, but started the RIP thread.   Maybe you are a Never The Twain fan. 

No matter.  I will be amazed if they show even one episode again.  Such is the political climate, and snowflake mentality of many. 

My phone alerted me so thought I'd share.

We met him and Don Estelle in a hotel in Bradford many moons ago.  He was hilarious to talk to (in fact, they both were).

Wouldn't get away with the things they said on the telly back then nowadays though!

Ricardo Shillyshally
3 hours ago, JackLadd said:

What a great show that was. 9 series and 20m a week but they won't show one episode again. 

Might be a rerun of sorts at his cremation

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Well played sir. Believe it or not I’m a distant relative. My Auntie is his 2nd cousin or something.

I loved IAHHM. He was brilliant in it. My Sgt at RAF basic training was like a Scottish version of him

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

We met him and Don Estelle in a hotel in Bradford many moons ago.  He was hilarious to talk to (in fact, they both were).

Wouldn't get away with the things they said on the telly back then nowadays though!

Whispering grass is a genius song, they were some double act.

been here before

I remember watching It Aint Half Hot Mum when I was quite young, Id have been 10 or 11 when it finished so omly really had vague memories of it. I remember my Dad liking it and doing his 'Sgt Major Shut Up' impression. 

Never saw it in the intervening 30 or so years but picked up the box set a few years ago and was surprised at how funny I still found it. It certainly stands up against its more 'crtitically acclaimed classics' from the same period' its just not PC enough anymore, especially Michael Bates blacking up. But there ye go, thats rock 'n' roll.

Saw Never The Twain being advertised as being rerun soon on Forces TV the other night. Thats so shite, its good.

Anyway thoughts with Gloria, Atlas, Nosher, Bearer, Char Wallah, Punkah Wallah, Parky and Lah-Deh-Dah Gunner Graham.

9 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Who was his fave "lovely boy" again? 

Gunner Parkin. Mistakenly thought he was his Dad

Nice pair of shoulders

Edited by Jamhammer

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Gunner Parkin. Mistakenly thought he was his Dad

Nice pair of shoulders

18 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Whispering grass is a genius song, they were some double act.

I bought the single.  :facepalm:

Seriously though, it was pretty funny. :) 

On 19/01/2019 at 12:58, Marvin said:

Couldnt stand it. My dad loved it so had to sit through it. He was a good comedy actor though

The White Cockade

One of those shows just about everybody watched back in those pre Sky days

Windsor Davies was a great comedy actor

Will never be shown now but a hell of a lot funnier than the majority of crap we have to put up with these days

You is all a bunch of poofs!

:clyay:

Trapper John McIntyre

RIP Sergeant Major shut up.

More laughs in one episode of 'It aint half hot mum' than the majority of todays dross masquerading as comedy  combined.

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Couldnt stand it. My dad loved it so had to sit through it. He was a good comedy actor though

Your dad was a comedy actor?

:whistling: 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Your dad was a comedy actor?

:whistling: 

LOL he actually was very funny at times...still makes me laugh when i asked him what the scar was on his stomach and he said he got it " fighting in Korea".....only later on he told me it was an appendix scar....Orginal Walter Mitty at times...

1 hour ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

RIP Sergeant Major shut up.

More laughs in one episode of 'It aint half hot mum' than the majority of todays dross masquerading as comedy  combined.

? 

I've watched a couple of episodes today, I'd not seen it in god knows how many years but bloody I laughed!!! 

Trapper John McIntyre
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

?

I've watched a couple of episodes today, I'd not seen it in god knows how many years but bloody I laughed!!! 

Best laugh for me was when the Colonel asks the sergeant major why he is so against Gloria being promoted to Bombardier, to which Shut Up replies:

'Because he is a poof, sir.'

3 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Best laugh for me was when the Colonel asks the sergeant major why he is so against Gloria being promoted to Bombardier, to which Shut Up replies:

'Because he is a poof, sir.'

???

I appreciate that that would be unacceptable today though. 

Trapper John McIntyre
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

???

Yes, I suppose you had to say that.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL he actually was very funny at times...still makes me laugh when i asked him what the scar was on his stomach and he said he got it " fighting in Korea".....only later on he told me it was an appendix scar....Orginal Walter Mitty at times...

:lol: 

Good wee tale there, James :thumb: 

The amount of dads who ‘fought in Korea’ must run into millions!

20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

???

16 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Yes, I suppose you had to say that.

John?  For Dawn to admit something is ‘unacceptable’ must have taken a lot of courage!

‘Anything goes’ is his motto!

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good wee tale there, James :thumb: 

The amount of dads who ‘fought in Korea’ must run into millions!

Thanks it is one of my favourite memories of him...I didnt know other dads came out with this walloper !!

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

John?  For Dawn to admit something is ‘unacceptable’ must have taken a lot of courage!

‘Anything goes’ is his motto!

?

Right enough Morgan but you know what I mean, there's no way it would get made today, but taken in the context of the time, it's bloody funny!!! 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks it is one of my favourite memories of him...I didnt know other dads came out with this walloper !!

All dads fought in every war in the entire world!

Absolutely brilliant that you have such a good memory of your dad. That’s just a lovely thing to cherish :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

?

Right enough Morgan but you know what I mean, there's no way it would get made today, but taken in the context of the time, it's bloody funny!!! 

Of course I knew what you meant Dawn!

Trapper would argue with himself if there was nobody else around.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

All dads fought in every war in the entire world!

Absolutely brilliant that you have such a good memory of your dad. That’s just a lovely thing to cherish :thumbsup:

Of course I knew what you meant Dawn!

Trapper would argue with himself if there was nobody else around.

Yeah its funny the things you remember about your parents. that always stuck in my head as I imagined he had been fighting in the jungle etc . Fed my imagination.  Happy memories 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah its funny the things you remember about your parents. that always stuck in my head as I imagined he had been fighting in the jungle etc . Fed my imagination.  Happy memories 

Oh and he also said he was best pals with " Big Tam "   * Sean Connery..when they were young .LOL...Now i know everyone said that too 

Edited by JamesM48

7 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Rising Damp is another hilarious 70's show they never repeat. No wonder tv comedy is dead.

It's frequently shown on ITV 3, Jack. Indeed, it's on this morning at 1130. Still funny. Leonard Rossiter's timing is perfect. 

Loved "Ain't Half..." when I was a kid. Always liked Windsor Davies, too. Very likeable actor. He and Melvyn Hayes played, to all intents, the same characters in "Carry on England". Poor film but Davies makes it watchable. Just. 

Point of irony: Michael Bates was born in India so, perhaps, was perfectly entitled to play an Indian character. 

No? :)

11 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh and he also said he was best pals with " Big Tam "   * Sean Connery..when they were young .LOL...Now i know everyone said that too 

Yep, everyone in Edinburgh, regardless of which part they lived in, had their milk delivered by Big Tam!

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yep, everyone in Edinburgh, regardless of which part they lived in, had their milk delivered by Big Tam!

The biggest milk round in the world. 

One of my dad's nutty aunts used to claim Big Tam pursued her relentlessly in her youth. He used to say, behind her back, "aye, but he thought he was running to catch (the back end of) the bus".

5 hours ago, martoon said:

Loved "Ain't Half..." when I was a kid. Always liked Windsor Davies, too. Very likeable actor. He and Melvyn Hayes played, to all intents, the same characters in "Carry on England". Poor film but Davies makes it watchable. Just. 

Point of irony: Michael Bates was born in India so, perhaps, was perfectly entitled to play an Indian character. 

No? :)

Not only was Michael Bates born in India, his father was Anglo-Indian giving Bates Indian heritage. He was also fluent in Hindi and apparently Indians living in the UK at the time of its screening generally found his portrayal to be hilarious. 

“We British...” ?

Edit: I think his character may have coined the phrase Goodness Gracious Me which was obviously adopted by a future comedy featuring Indian actors and characters. 

RIP to WD. 

Edited by Les Izemore

2 hours ago, martoon said:

The biggest milk round in the world. 

One of my dad's nutty aunts used to claim Big Tam pursued her relentlessly in her youth. He used to say, behind her back, "aye, but he thought he was running to catch (the back end of) the bus".

Mind when you could jump on the back end?  :oohmatron:

Not you dads nutty aunt, I hasten to add.

Edited by Morgan

3 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Not only was Michael Bates born in India, his father was Anglo-Indian giving Bates Indian heritage. He was also fluent in Hindi and apparently Indians living in the UK at the time of its screening generally found his portrayal to be hilarious. 

“We British...” ?

Edit: I think his character may have coined the phrase Goodness Gracious Me which was obviously adopted by a future comedy featuring Indian actors and characters. 

RIP to WD. 

It's certainly earlier than that. There was a 1960s song with Sophia Loren and a blacked up Peter Sellers which was also adapted for the theme tune to the radio/tv series Goodness Gracious Me

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Mind when you could jump on the back end?  :oohmatron:

Not you dads nutty aunt, I hasten to add.

Only just, Morg. My dad was a conductor and I recall him passing his test to be a driver when they switched to the one man bus. I reckon I was only about 5/6 which would be around 1973 or '74?

7 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

We British?

RIP to WD. 

:)

Definitely going to watch some episodes on YouTube. Assuming they're available.