Up Helly Aa

Boof

Up Helly Aa season is now upon us.

If you've ever wondered just what IS it all about (and Vikings are just a small part of the event) grab a beer and have a look at this.

The presenter does some shows as a comedian during the Fringe and has a few of those BBC Social clips.

chester copperpot

I've always wanted to visit Shetland however the cost of getting there is crazy.

Would love to take in the helly aa 

Hopefully make it up one year. Used to go to Shetland every summer. As said, pretty pricey getting there. Can really justify a January trip at moment, but will do it one day.

20 hours ago, Boof said:

Up Helly Aa season is now upon us.

If you've ever wondered just what IS it all about (and Vikings are just a small part of the event) grab a beer and have a look at this.

The presenter does some shows as a comedian during the Fringe and has a few of those BBC Social clips.

Boof, did you know there’s an Up Helly Aa board game? A friend’s friend’s mum invented and developed it.

Yeah - we have it.

I think I'm correct in stating that, if it wasn't dark, I could see, from my sitting room, the house that your friend's friend's mum's mum used to live in ?

21 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I've always wanted to visit Shetland however the cost of getting there is crazy.

Would love to take in the helly aa 

I went 5 years ago. I got a boat from Aberdeen. It was about 40 quid and 12 hours  each way as a foot passenger without a cabin. 

Flat calm seas on the way out. Rough seas on the way back. I filled 2 sick bags amongst other things. But it's the cheapest way to do it. Flying is OTT expensive.

chester copperpot
3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I went 5 years ago. I got a boat from Aberdeen. It was about 40 quid and 12 hours  each way as a foot passenger without a cabin. 

Flat calm seas on the way out. Rough seas on the way back. I filled 2 sick bags amongst other things. But it's the cheapest way to do it. Flying is OTT expensive.

I would want to take the car to navigate around the island. Not one for staying in the same place for too long. Sure it was about a grand for the crossing and that was minus the digs when over there etc 

1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

I would want to take the car to navigate around the island. Not one for staying in the same place for too long. Sure it was about a grand for the crossing and that was minus the digs when over there etc 

Have you looked into hiring a car once there? I got around on buses when I went.

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Just had a look at the Northlink prices Chester, £610 return for 2 plus car in July

As @SwindonJambo says, it can be done without car or cabin for not a horrendous sum.

Bloody uncomfortable though - even the reclining seats are not the best. Lots of folk just take a sleeping bag and kip where they can find a spot.

If you know any islanders  (cough) they can sign you up for a friends and family discount. 

I'd say that, whilst cheap, public transport would be too restrictive.

41 minutes ago, Boof said:

As @SwindonJambo says, it can be done without car or cabin for not a horrendous sum.

Bloody uncomfortable though - even the reclining seats are not the best. Lots of folk just take a sleeping bag and kip where they can find a spot.

If you know any islanders  (cough) they can sign you up for a friends and family discount. 

I'd say that, whilst cheap, public transport would be too restrictive.

I reserved a reclining chair on the way there and it was a waste of money. I ended up curling up on the floor.

On the way back, I went to the bar, collected up some cushions, made myself a wee bed and curled up on a sofa. Loads of others did the same.

As I said before, surely you can hire a car there? Probably pricy but surely much cheaper than taking your own there on a ferry.?

I had to get the ferry one time when the planes were cancelled due to fog.

Ferry was mobbed due to planes having been off for a couple of days, and no cabins were available.

We ended up crashing out in the cinema lying over a few seats each.

Plans were back on in the morning when we got in and all flights were on for the weekend, until the Tuesday morning when we were due to fly back again. Got to the airport to find it covered in fog and all flights cancelled. We were put on a coach and taken back to Lerwick to get the ferry! We managed to get a cabin this time as it wasn't as busy. Seas were flat calm both directions, so a relatively pleasant 'cruise' both ways.

• 11 months later...

That time of year again with Scalloway Fire Festival this weekend.

Lerwick's main man this year is a staunch Jambo so will be getting an extra loud cheer from me 😁

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This should be a nation wide thing. 

It really shouldn't, it's great but it's a tradition on the islands and should stay there.

36 minutes ago, Ribble said:

It really shouldn't, it's great but it's a tradition on the islands and should stay there.

I disagree, but hey, opinions. 👍

15 hours ago, Boof said:

That time of year again with Scalloway Fire Festival this weekend.

Lerwick's main man this year is a staunch Jambo so will be getting an extra loud cheer from me 😁

Whoops - just noticed video didn't embed. It's on Promote Shetland Facebook page and features another Jambo about 10 seconds in. An Edinburgh lad originally...in fact already posted on this thread :D 

5 hours ago, Boof said:

Whoops - just noticed video didn't embed. It's on Promote Shetland Facebook page and features another Jambo about 10 seconds in. An Edinburgh lad originally...in fact already posted on this thread :D 

Think I’m now the face of up helly aa! 😂

my boy appears in it as well, later on, jumping up and down 

• 3 weeks later...

And today sees Lerwick's turn.

Staunch Jambo, Liam Summers, is this year's heid honcho - photographed here with another Jambo, Gary Wylie, in the background. Those who know him may not recognise his heavily bearded visage. Maroon features heavily in the suit. I believe the galley is a beaut as well so I'll get a pic of that when I can.

200128-Jarl-Summers-470x313.jpeg

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Boof said:

And here's Yggdrasil - looks a lot better close up with scumbled paintwork.

galley.jpg

I did work in that building about 27 years ago.

:greggy:

Montgomery Brewster
21 hours ago, Boof said:

And today sees Lerwick's turn.

Staunch Jambo, Liam Summers, is this year's heid honcho - photographed here with another Jambo, Gary Wylie, in the background. Those who know him may not recognise his heavily bearded visage. Maroon features heavily in the suit. I believe the galley is a beaut as well so I'll get a pic of that when I can.

200128-Jarl-Summers-470x313.jpeg

Excellent. We had the live cam on at work yesterday as one of the guys is a local.

good news about the colours 😁