Freddie Glidden RIP

Meadows

MacKay, Glidden, Cumming ... the best half back line in Scottish football in the 1950s.

And with Conn, Bauld, and Wardhaugh playing in front of them, they were a team to behold.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macros

• dannymack

• Maple Leaf

• jambovambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Met him on a train through to Bathgate after the 3-2 win over Inverness CT in 2009 and can only echo what others have said. He was an absolute gentleman.

50 minutes ago, dannymack said:

A friend of mines, who's Father was in the same care home as Freddie often saw him when visiting, his memory was gone but my friend got the chance to show Freddie this picture, his reaction was a simple facial expression change, nothing more nothing less but enough to realise he knew exactly what it was all about.

IMG_20190102_155330.jpg

RIP Freddie 

51 minutes ago, dannymack said:

A friend of mines, who's Father was in the same care home as Freddie often saw him when visiting, his memory was gone but my friend got the chance to show Freddie this picture, his reaction was a simple facial expression change, nothing more nothing less but enough to realise he knew exactly what it was all about.

IMG_20190102_155330.jpg

RIP Freddie

Where has that picture been hidden ,never seen it before, it's a cracker. 

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

IMG_20190102_155330.jpg

What a fantastic photo of the man! RIP Freddie.

Shanks said no

I knew this was coming as I know one of his nurses in Tippethill House Hospital who was looking after him.

RIP Freddie

I never saw Freddie play but incredible respect for a great player and a gentleman, as well as a true ambassador for our Club. R.I.P.

alwaysthereinspirit

RIP. Doubt he ever thought it would be 42 years before another Hearts captain lifted the cup when he did it.

Seems like one of these threads shows up every few months lately.

Remember him so well, and enjoyed watching him, one word, steady. You know when you get old you sometimes think of when the final whistle blows, for me its not too worrisome there are sure a lot of people who were important to me that I may get to spend time with again. That Hearts team were all pretty nice guys, working men doing what they loved. A number of them were ages with me, and some a bit older, Big Tam Mackenzie had the shop beside Duddingston Station, not the most amenable man, but that was fine, and Wullie Bauld had the newsagent in Gorgie Road, used to drop in when going home off night shift and get my paper, we exchanged good mornings and that was it, I think he was just a quiet man.

been here before
51 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

RIP. Doubt he ever thought it would be 42 years before another Hearts captain lifted the cup when he did it.

Seems like one of these threads shows up every few months lately.

He was the only Hearts captain to lift it in 92 years!

alwaysthereinspirit
6 minutes ago, been here before said:

He was the only Hearts captain to lift it in 92 years!

Duh. Forgot to go back in my rush to go forward.

1 hour ago, assessor said:

RIP Freddie

Where has that picture been hidden ,never seen it before, it's a cracker. 

I'm sure he got it off eBay if I remember rightly, I'd never seen it before in any programmes or press either, it's a great picture.

In the pub speaking with one of the "old" regulars who has just reeled off both teams from memory and was at both cup winning games. I am upset and wasn't even born at the time. 

Hearts always Hearts RIP big man

1874_and_proud

RIP,  a true Hearts legend in every aspect. Last of the 56 team. Condolencies to his family and friends. 

Blackpool tae Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

A passing of a legend. RIP.

Duff Kirk McKenzie Mackay Glidden Cumming young

conn bauld wardhaugh Crawford

J.T.F.Robertson
44 minutes ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Check that midfield and forward line. :wow:

6 hours ago, Meadows said:

Our 1954 & 1956 cup winning captain sadly passed away earlier today . Aged 91 , Freddie was a colussus in our defence , with a team of fantastic players around him he more than held his own . The last of our ‘56 legends, he will be sadly missed around Broxburn and Gorgie . 

He’s the last, RIP

34 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Captain of the greatest Hearts team there ever was or ever will be

RIP Freddie. 

Correct on the first part, hopefully incorrect on the second part.

14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Correct on the first part, hopefully incorrect on the second part.

I reckon he’s probably right, for most of us anyway. ?

My earliest memory of Freddie Glidden was 1956, my Uncle took me to that cup final, then in the evening we went down to Castle Street, Hearts were holding their victory celebrations in the McVitties function suite, there was a balcony projecting out from the front door, thousands of fans were gathered chanting and cheering, I was up on steps opposite and had a great view when Freddie Glidden emerged holding the Scottish Cup, after a while a chant went up, 'we want Willie, we want Willie', and the place went absolutely crazy when the great Willie Bauld emerged holding up the Cup, happy, happy memories etched on my mind for life, so thank you Freddie, for those memories, I tearfully raise a glass to you and your ten magnificent team mates, RIP Freddie.

Edited by Bauldrick
miss spelling

48 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

My earliest memory of Freddie Glidden was 1956, my Uncle took me to that cup final, then in the evening we went down to Castle Street, Hearts were holding their victory celebrations in the McVitties function suite, there was a balcony projecting out from the front door, thousands of fans were gathered chanting and cheering, I was up on steps opposite and had a great view when Freddie Glidden emerged holding the Scottish Cup, after a while a chant went up, 'we want Willie, we want Willie', and the place went absolutely crazy when the great Willie Bauld emerged holding up the Cup, happy, happy memories etched on my mind for life, so thank you Freddie, for those memories, I tearfully raise a glass to you and your ten magnificent team mates, RIP Freddie.

Great memory. 

1 hour ago, Bauldrick said:

Wonderful.

6 hours ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

My auld man still rattles that off the tongue and has done as long as I've been able to listen.

The last hero of a generation. Sad news indeed.

Hearts Heritage

As a special tribute to Freddie we will be playing the audio commentary from the 1956 Cup Final in the Museum today. 

Open from 10-4.

Sadly that's  the end of times for my favourite team (as you may gather from my handle). When will we see their likes again?

RIP Freddie you will live on in my memory (and incidentally as part of my JKB password) - and say hello for me to Dave and Willie and John and Alec and all the others when you see them... ??