1874 bar

daveyhmfc

1 minute ago, sairyinthat said:

Ah don't drink so  unaware,just saw a busy looking I thought bar, going by the glasses in folks hands.

That sounds like the Strongbow Legends Lounge. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Alex Kintner

• 3fingersreid

• Clerry Jambo

1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

That sounds like the Strongbow Legends Lounge. 

Cheers don't normally stray far from the Wheatfield and probably still thinking about the bombastic oaf at the shop door.

Not sure what folk are expecting to be honest. It’s fairly priced, quick service at the bar and plenty TVs. I’d rather give my beer money to the club than a brewery.

16 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Not sure what folk are expecting to be honest. It’s fairly priced, quick service at the bar and plenty TVs. I’d rather give my beer money to the club than a brewery.

This

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Exactly.

The brewery sells us the beer...!

The Treasurer

Was in on Wednesday before the game.

Decent beer for a decent price with money going to  Hearts so all good.

Couple of things that would make it better.

Maybe a few more screens with choice of channel when more than one game on (not sure if this is the case just now as all screens were on BT Sport).

Some more tables and chairs would help as there's plenty of room but not many places to sit or to lay your pint down

7 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Maybe a few more screens with choice of channel when more than one game on (not sure if this is the case just now as all screens were on BT Sport).

Some more tables and chairs would help as there's plenty of room but not many places to sit or to lay your pint down

Isn't the lack of tables and chairs by design to allow more people in on busy match days?

9 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

If you lay your pint down does the beer not run out the glass though?

It's a decent bar for what it is. It's designed to get people in, for perhaps 2-3 drinks and out again. There is plenty of space to stand which is exactly what its designed for.

Just think where we were 5 years ago.

Looks at what we have now ?

44 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

It's a decent bar for what it is. It's designed to get people in, for perhaps 2-3 drinks and out again. There is plenty of space to stand which is exactly what its designed for.

spot on

10 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I think they want it to be more than that though. Don’t think it can survive just on the match only basis. 

23 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

I agree, I really like it and I'd rather go there and spend money on Hearts.  I can see why they don't have many tables and chairs but they could do with a few more of the tables that you stand around just to put your beer down.  Happy enough standing though 

1 hour ago, richierich said:

I agree, I really like it and I'd rather go there and spend money on Hearts.  I can see why they don't have many tables and chairs but they could do with a few more of the tables that you stand around just to put your beer down.  Happy enough standing though 

Maybe even a wee 6 inch shelf around the outer wall would be good ??

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think they want it to be more than that though. Don’t think it can survive just on the match only basis. 

We popped in after the plot ceremony last Sunday. Tbh it didn't look open from outside and inside there was just one guy propping the bar up. Bizarrely they didn't have the football on and it wasn't straightforward to put the match on, seems to be operated from the control room and to get the right channel took someone upstairs on the phone like a walkie talkie to adjust it.

32 minutes ago, RobboM said:

We popped in after the plot ceremony last Sunday. Tbh it didn't look open from outside and inside there was just one guy propping the bar up. Bizarrely they didn't have the football on and it wasn't straightforward to put the match on, seems to be operated from the control room and to get the right channel took someone upstairs on the phone like a walkie talkie to adjust it.

just changed the channel from man u game to the egg chasing, didn't seem to be a problem. could do with more customers though

maroonlegions
3 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Get

Tables

And 

Chairs 

When

It's

TV

Games

On. 

This nothing worse that standing for 2 hours drinking and watching a game,

6 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

This nothing worse that standing for 2 hours drinking and watching a game,

Mate, when Hearts played Bayern i stood in a bar full krauts, for 2 hours, after having climbed an 8 foot high barbed wire fence. Not the great escape or WW2 but life on the Harrier force in the 80's. What made it worse was knowing i had to climb back in? 

. For the record, i got caught, 2 weeks jankers, ??. Still, if only JC had slotted that chance. 

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Mate, when Hearts played Bayern i stood in a bar full krauts, for 2 hours, after having climbed an 8 foot high barbed wire fence. Not the great escape or WW2 but life on the Harrier force in the 80's. What made it worse was knowing i had to climb back in? 

. For the record, i got caught, 2 weeks jankers, ??. Still, if only JC had slotted that chance. 

I was at Gutersloh 87-89 ? Small world!

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I was at Gutersloh 87-89 ? Small world!

3sqn,me. Yep small world. I was sent to recover a jet from a birdstrike that night with a proper twat of a snco who confined us to camp, he also told the Germans, bolocks to that i thought and climbed the back fence and walked to the local bar. Made loads of new mates and we got loads of respect from the Germans. Got caught climbing back in though, who cares eh! 

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Why not? It's not the same as a standalone pub which has to meet rent payments etc. It's part of the stadium which I'm sure makes a profit on matchdays. If it sits empty the majority of the rest of the time then it's no different to the hospitality suites.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Why not? It's not the same as a standalone pub which has to meet rent payments etc. It's part of the stadium which I'm sure makes a profit on matchdays. If it sits empty the majority of the rest of the time then it's no different to the hospitality suites.

That’s one of the challenges the club has. It looks to increase non matchday revenues from the additional space it now has. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s ine if the chsllenges the club has. It looks to increase non matchday revenues from the additional soace it now has. 

:olly:

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t understand this.

First and foremost it’ll be open when there’s a game on, no? If we try and open it for the other 6 days a week and it doesn’t pay, it won’t be open on they days for much longer.

If it’s only open on match days, it’ll still turn a profit.

Given it’s part of the stand and no rent is payable? and existing members of staff can be deployed there, it’s unreasonable to compare it to a similar business on Gorgie Rd ( I know you never, was more your ‘it can’t survive’ comment I was replying to)

1 hour ago, El Diez said:

Sakes. Just seen sooperstars post.

Aye, that. ?

It already opens Friday, Saturday and Sunday plus midweek match games. The challenge will come if Hearts can make more money from that space doing something else.  

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It already opens Friday, Saturday and Sunday plus midweek match games. The challenge will come if Hearts can make more money from that space doing something else.  

But it would survive if only open on a match day basis.

Which you doubted.

Edited by El Diez

It needs some street advertising, even if you were at the club shop, you might not know it was open, as it tucked around the corner. There must have been hundreds of rugby fans in the area today, but I would be surprised if more than a few, stumbled over it by chance.

1 hour ago, El Diez said:

But it would survive if only open on a match day basis.

Which you doubted.

Possibly. I think the club may well have higher ambitions than that though. 

48 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

It needs some street advertising, even if you were at the club shop, you might not know it was open, as it tucked around the corner. There must have been hundreds of rugby fans in the area today, but I would be surprised if more than a few, stumbled over it by chance.

That’s true. 

Going to hospitality with the mates for the St Mirren game in a couple of weeks, so might try the 1874 bar beforehand rather than the usual Tynie Arms.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 09/02/2019 at 10:50, richierich said:

Some less wobbly tables would be a bonus, too.

58 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is the bar ticket only for Sunday’s game v motherwell ? 

It will be, but if it's not sold out you can buy a ticket at the ticket office then get in.

Was in for the Kille game and it was busy but not totally heaving and a decent atmosphere when we scored and at the end. £5 for ticket that gets you a pie (or two) and a pint and the prices are reasonable for a pint of moreti. 

Could do with sorting the speakers out so you get proper commentary but I enjoyed it. 

6 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

It will be, but if it's not sold out you can buy a ticket at the ticket office then get in.

Cheers , wasn’t sure given the last derby wasn’t all ticket . I’ll pop in to buy a ticket this week ??

Just been round to the ticket off to pick up a few tickets for 1874 Live showing The Partick game.

Unfortunatley there is no chance of me making it to Fir Hill for a 19:05 kick off so thought this was the next best thing.

Has anyone here ever been to a Live showing in the 1874 bar and what was your thoughts on it?

Tickets were £5 each which included a pint and a halftime pie.

12 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Just been round to the ticket off to pick up a few tickets for 1874 Live showing The Partick game.

Unfortunatley there is no chance of me making it to Fir Hill for a 19:05 kick off so thought this was the next best thing.

Has anyone here ever been to a Live showing in the 1874 bar and what was your thoughts on it?

Tickets were £5 each which included a pint and a halftime pie.

It was excellent when the derby was on , didn’t make it yesterday tho 

On 08/02/2019 at 11:13, To Be Frank said:

This, in general. Although, I’d have more screens, and when there isn’t a live game on, or on a weekend when there’s no Hearts match, I’d have Hearts DVDs on a loop: 90 goals v Hibs, Destruction Derby, High Five, 1998 Cup Winners, Back from the Brink, Hearts the Celebration etc, etc... who doesn’t want to watch great moments from the past when there’s no live games on?

On 08/02/2019 at 14:07, The Treasurer said:

Tables are for empties. ?

On 08/02/2019 at 21:32, Sooperstar said:

Isn't the lack of tables and chairs by design to allow more people in on busy match days?

Thats what I thought too. It reminds me of the old Camry Sample Rooms before they gentrified it. Big cavernous space with a few wee things to lean on. Long bar and decent capacity.

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

It was excellent when the derby was on , didn’t make it yesterday tho 

Is there allocated seating or is it just first come first serve?

Fire_At_The_Disco
5 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Is there allocated seating or is it just first come first serve?

There is not a lot of seats tbh.... prepare to stand, still good bants. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 12/02/2019 at 13:09, 3fingersreid said:

Is the bar ticket only for Sunday’s game v motherwell ? 

On 12/02/2019 at 14:07, bn jambo said:

This is to get and watch an an away match, aye?  I'm coming up from Sheffield this weekend and got a ticket for the St Mirren game.  I assume I'll not have to show a ticket to get in the bar.  Is that right (not been before and I'm awfy auld - bear with me).