1874 bar

daveyhmfc

Thinking of watching the game in here tomorrow night. However, I am not sure whether they would allow my 14 year old son on the premises? Anyone know the answer?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Alex Kintner

• 3fingersreid

• Clerry Jambo

CornhillHearts
5 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

Thinking of watching the game in here tomorrow night. However, I am not sure whether they would allow my 14 year old son on the premises? Anyone know the answer?

Yes you’ll be able to get him in.

I’ve had my 15 year old in a good few times. 

been here before
19 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

I’m guessing this will be ram packed? What’s the chances of turning up & not getting in? 

Depends entierly when you intend turning up I imagine.

Given that there is a possibility of turning up tomorrow night and not gaining entry; I was wondering what the likelihood is of gaining entry to the BMC, Merchiston Hearts or the locarno snooker club with my 14 yr old? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

Given that there is a possibility of turning up tomorrow night and not gaining entry; I was wondering what the likelihood is of gaining entry to the BMC, Merchiston Hearts or the locarno snooker club with my 14 yr old? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ardmillan Hotel should be a goer with the nipper, mate.

First time been to 1874 tonight. Was well impressed with atmosphere and bar!!! Cracking night, great loud fans - next best thing to being at the game! 

A GOPro in the corner of the ceiling in the bar would be great to look at celebrations after big celebrations and wins. Easy for the club to arrange I’d think?

16 minutes ago, mayfield said:

A GOPro in the corner of the ceiling in the bar would be great to look at celebrations after big celebrations and wins. Easy for the club to arrange I’d think?

Or a smartphone. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Was quite quiet after the match last night. They now serve Coast to Coast Pale Ale which is an improvement on the lagers. Not convinced by the heating though as it was pretty cold. 

4 hours ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

Been in twice now. Left both times as too busy to get served. Will try going earlier next time.

Really? Loads of bar staff on. The only busy time at the bar is immediately after kickoff

Son Of Anarchy
14 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Really? Loads of bar staff on. The only busy time at the bar is immediately after kickoff

Yip. Both times were straight after final whistle so mobbed. Last being Sunday there and ended up having a rather nice night in Dickens ?

The Treasurer
42 minutes ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

Yip. Both times were straight after final whistle so mobbed. Last being Sunday there and ended up having a rather nice night in Dickens ?

A bar right outside the ground being busy right after the game ?

Never !!!

42 minutes ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

Give it five mins and you’ll get served no problem mate ??

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Anyone got any info on what draft lager/beer they serve ? 

Whats the prices like ? 

Do they serve up food:/bar snacks ? 

Draft Amatell, Moretti lager and draft Guiness and Coast to Coast IPA. About £3.50 a pint. No food ??

6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Anyone got any info on what draft lager/beer they serve ? 

Whats the prices like ? 

Do they serve up food:/bar snacks ? 

Was going to have a scathing attack on the usual fosters/belhaven pish they serve in the gorgie suite.

But coast to coast IPA and amstell etc are actually ok.

Edited by Tott

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Draft Amatell, Moretti lager and draft Guiness and Coast to Coast IPA. About £3.50 a pint. No food ??

Cheers frank . 

Can you remember if they had any other dark beers on draft ? Not to keen on IPA , fussy bugger lol . Prices sound reasonable ??

4 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Cheers frank . 

Can you remember if they had any other dark beers on draft ? Not to keen on IPA , fussy bugger lol . Prices sound reasonable ??

Used to have 80 shilling but it was rank. You can buy bottles of Deuchars though ??

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Used to have 80 shilling but it was rank. You can buy bottles of Deuchars though ??

Thanks for the info , going to give it a try ?

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Thanks for the info , going to give it a try ?

You should. It’s a great bar and better giving your beer money to the club ??

47 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Great day today in the bar, before and after

I was there before and after too! ?

I was the handsome one. ?

Went to watch the derby in there. Arrived approx 90 mins before KO to get into the spirit, as had others, but the lack of seating meant we stayed for one and left. 

Huge area beyond the bar that was empty. About 2 tables at the very start (front door area) of the bar and about 3 tall tables for getting your lean on. Obviously all tables and all 5 seats were being used when we arrived so it meant standing in an empty space. No way were we wanting to stand for 90 mins pre match then for the game itself. 

I can see why the empty space would be useful on home match days to cram the fans in, but for away televised games it was pish. For the televised games the place should be awash with tables and chairs. 

The Diggers enjoyed circa 20 pints worth of takings from my group as a result.  

Edited by Sarah O

I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve been there , especially the derby when the place was rocking and today when my daughter was legally allowed to buy me a pint . 

The only thing I’d introduce about it is a no standing at the bar after being served policy , although the lack of tables might be an issue if folk want to put their drinks down . Perhaps in time the club could open another bar at the other end of the stand too if demand requires it ? 

fabienleclerq
3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve been there , especially the derby when the place was rocking and today when my daughter was legally allowed to buy me a pint . 

The only thing I’d introduce about it is a no standing at the bar after being served policy , although the lack of tables might be an issue if folk want to put their drinks down . Perhaps in time the club could open another bar at the other end of the stand too if demand requires it ? 

No sure the Jaeger's would fly in the nursary!

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

No sure the Jaeger's would fly in the nursary!

Has it been tried before ? If not let’s go for it ??

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Has it been tried before ? If not let’s go for it ??

Pint of milk and three sambucas miss...

And a couple of G&T’s , oh and a black n tan for my grandad who’s picking me up later miss ? ( one for the older drinkers perhaps) 

Edited by 3fingersreid

When they say the bar closes 30 minutes before kick off I assume that's last orders and you're not actually getting pushed out and having to take your seat at a stupid time?

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
3 hours ago, Tott said:

Was going to have a scathing attack on the usual fosters/belhaven pish they serve in the gorgie suite.

But coast to coast IPA and amstell etc are actually ok.

The choices in the 1874 Bar and the Legends Lounge are indeed much better than the options in the Gorgie Suite 

9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

When they say the bar closes 30 minutes before kick off I assume that's last orders and you're not actually getting pushed out and having to take your seat at a stupid time?

Yeah last orders -30 mins, bar closes -15 mins ??

Montgomery Brewster
On 30/12/2018 at 00:03, mayfield said:

Excellent idea 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Looked very quiet last night as the stadium emptied. Maybe a fans bar isn’t particularly wanted after all?

It was a Wednesday night...

2 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Nowt worth having a beer for, watched dons v Gers in warmth, good decision.

Ours results never influence whether I’m having a beer or not, thankfully. ?

went into the bar last night, was ok but is this just a pop up bar or is it the finished article?.

Looked very basic inside, not a lot of screens and seems to be a lot of empty space but not a lot of tables or chairs.

Just had a couple of tables and a couple of barrels to put your drink on.

Prices where ok and the selection of drink wasn't to bad either.

Would like to see the club do a bit more it with funds permitting obviously. 

I would probably go back if i was at that end of the stadium collecting tickets or buying the something from the club shop. 

But in the mean time would probably just stick to my usual watering hole before the game.

35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Looked very quiet last night as the stadium emptied. Maybe a fans bar isn’t particularly wanted after all?

If it's the place directly over the shop/ticket office then it looked pretty busy from the queue waiting to get into the ticket office.

11 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

If it's the place directly over the shop/ticket office then it looked pretty busy from the queue waiting to get into the ticket office.

No it’s to the left of the shop on ground level.

1 minute ago, obua said:

No it’s to the left of the shop on ground level.

Ah don't drink so  unaware,just saw a busy looking I thought bar, going by the glasses in folks hands.