VAR

Deevers

Interesting article. However you just get the feeling that this is just more hot air from the SFA. They won't want this as it would almost certainly do away with much of the in bulilt refereeing bias towards the Old Firm. They have had to say something and this is little more than vague.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/scottish-fa-to-consider-var-after-criticism-of-referees-1-4841216

Edited by Deevers

Maxwell calls it a "myth" that it can be easily introduced.

But the fans saw it being used at the World Cup.

Good to see the authorities still think they know best. 

Edited by Mikey1874

been here before

Wasnt it Stevie Clark who was calling for it when the 'bonus' money from Sellicks Chumps League capitulations was being doled out months ago?

Reckoned instead of giving the clubs the money it would be better invested in some sort of VAR.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Wasnt it Stevie Clark who was calling for it when the 'bonus' money from Sellicks Chumps League capitulations was being doled out months ago?

Reckoned instead of giving the clubs the money it would be better invested in some sort of VAR.

Goal line technology 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3404570/steve-clarke-uefa-windfall-4m-var-goal-line-technology-kilmarnock/amp/

brunoatemyhamster

A good Chief Executive would have easily managed to get a broadcaster to include VAR in any TV deal as an extra.

Unless that person never thought/ didn't want that.

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

What it would 't stop is the number of outrageous small decisions that go the Old Firms way in most matches. Throw ins given the wrong way, fouls manufactured for them out of nothing.  These are the small things that often sway games for them. Take last Sunday and the number of clear fouls that Madden ignored being committed by Morelos as an example. VAR would not stop that. It would stop the outrageous big decisions going there way. The non penalties, the offside goals, etc.

The SFA will not want that and I don't doubt that the Old Firm will be lobbying privately against it.

avhudtheteeshirt
47 minutes ago, Deevers said:

What it would 't stop is the number of outrageous small decisions that go the Old Firms way in most matches. Throw ins given the wrong way, fouls manufactured for them out of nothing.  These are the small things that often sway games for them. Take last Sunday and the number of clear fouls that Madden ignored being committed by Morelos as an example. VAR would not stop that. It would stop the outrageous big decisions going there way. The non penalties, the offside goals, etc.

The SFA will not want that and I don't doubt that the Old Firm will be lobbying privately against it.

If you watched the world cup you'll have seen it can also throw up curved balls, referee's touchline review and then goes against VAR???

Classic Scottish Refereeing!!!!!

This the same SFA that said Scottish Football was doomed without Rangers?

Dont hold your breath...Plums to a man.

It is just bluster and lip service until the hoo-ha dies down again. The SFA are utterly useless at fulfilling their remit. They are traditionalists and protectors of the status quo.

They put in a lawyer to supposedly protect the game from cheats and thugs, but all she does is protect referees from managers complaints, punish players who tackle Celtic players and "un-punish" Rangers players from red cards...

Edited by Spellczech

I honestly think VAR would make the situation worse. We can't get officials to be honest and fair in the pitch under any sort of pressure.

How on earth are we going to get unbiased honest fair decisions from a group of non experienced hand picked SFA cretins sitting in a studio somewhere.

The games a farce, always has been, always will be.

VAR will make it worse imo.

7 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

I honestly think VAR would make the situation worse. We can't get officials to be honest and fair in the pitch under any sort of pressure.

How on earth are we going to get unbiased honest fair decisions from a group of non experienced hand picked SFA cretins sitting in a studio somewhere.

I don't think it can reasonably make it "worse" as misuse of VAR would set the SFA up for international ridicule, as VAR is such a talking point. This may well be the reason the SFA will use to avoid having it, though they will say it is cost. The idea Levein talks of, of the bigger clubs funding it, as in Holland for grass pitches, won't happen because the OF won't pitch in, as they know they get a lot more decisions for them than against them, and even the ones that go against them they can often steam-roller the SFA into reversing...

17 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It is just bluster and lip service until the hoo-ha dies down again. The SFA are utterly useless at fulfilling their remit. They are traditionalists and protectors of the status quo.

They put in a lawyer to supposedly protect the game from cheats and thugs, but all she does is protect referees from managers complaints, punish players who tackle Celtic players and "un-punish" Rangers players from red cards...

Yeah

They are holding another 'summit'. As Craig Levein said they have a meeting, stuff gets said then it all goes on again.

13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I don't think it can reasonably make it "worse" as misuse of VAR would set the SFA up for international ridicule, as VAR is such a talking point. This may well be the reason the SFA will use to avoid having it, though they will say it is cost. The idea Levein talks of, of the bigger clubs funding it, as in Holland for grass pitches, won't happen because the OF won't pitch in, as they know they get a lot more decisions for them than against them, and even the ones that go against them they can often steam-roller the SFA into reversing...

This is exactly how I see it.  This is only being briefly mentioned as a deflection to take the heat off themselves following the outrageous decisions the Old Firm loving officials have come up with this season.  If they were at all serious about doing something about the cesspit that refereeing has become as a first step they would sack John Fleming. The next step would be to appoint a non Scot to head up the refereeing department and ensure that there was an equitable spread of Grade 1 referees throughout  Scotland. The present situation with the vast majority coming from the West of Scotland and all FIFA badged officials from there as well is intolerable. The whole structure needs root and branch reform. 

Edited by Deevers

28 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Could be right. It still comes down to human interpretation. 

Look at the World Cup Final when the ref walked back and forward to the screen because he couldn’t decide if it was a penalty?

You can see Scottish refs setting a record for disagreeing with VAR! 

Edited by Debut 4

18 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This is exactly how I see it.  This is only being briefly mentioned as a deflection to take the heat off themselves following the outrageous decisions the Old Firm loving officials have come up with this season.  If they were at all serious about doing something about the cesspit that refereeing has become as a first step they would sack John Fleming. The next step would be to appoint a non Scot to head up the refereeing department and ensure that there was an equitable spread of Grade 1 referees throughout  Scotland. The present situation with the vast majority coming from the West of Scotland and all FIFA badged officials from there as well is intolerable. The whole structure needs root and branch reform. 

They'd probably put John Fleming, Steve Conroy and all the other ex-refs from near Hampden as the VAR officials at Hampden! Dallas Snr would defo see that as a chance to get back into the circle of bantz that he so enjoyed last time...

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

But the fans saw it being used at the World Cup.

It worked very well in the World Cup but don't forget one of the biggest decisions in the biggest game was IMO incorrect. 

The penalty awarded to France in the final using VAR was a shocker in such a massive game.

For a panel to say that was intentional was a joke and you can only imagine who would be on the panel in SPFL games.

Don't get me wrong I am all for VAR but it is far from flawless.

5 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It worked very well in the World Cup but don't forget one of the biggest decisions in the biggest game was IMO incorrect. 

The penalty awarded to France in the final using VAR was a shocker in such a massive game.

For a panel to say that was intentional was a joke and you can only imagine who would be on the panel in SPFL games.

Don't get me wrong I am all for VAR but it is far from flawless.

Its only as good as the person or panel reviewing the decision. You can well imagine what would happen here.

Edited by Deevers

6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Its only as good as the person or panel reviewing the decision. You can well imagine what would happen here.

And that is why I think it will make little difference.  

Our officials are inept, corrupt, or both.  

queensferryjambo
Just now, Deevers said:

Kits only as good as the person or panel reviewing the decision. You can well imagine what would happen here.

I know.

I must be feeling cynical today but I see a 3 man panel of Hugh Dallas, Dougie McDonald & Andy Davis for the SPFL ;)

3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

I know.

I must be feeling cynical today but I see a 3 man panel of Hugh Dallas, Dougie McDonald & Andy Davis for the SPFL ;)

Ian Brines?   The man who sent of Zal for being headbutted.  Saw the video of it, and still said he was correct.  

He is made ads for the role in Scotland. 

Edited by Paolo

VAR should happen, at least for all of premier ASAP in my opinion.

Obviously it’s not perfect, but would undoubtedly increase the percentage of correct calls for potentially game changing incidents. 

No brainier 

3 minutes ago, smartinmaroon said:

VAR should happen, at least for all of premier ASAP in my opinion.

Obviously it’s not perfect, but would undoubtedly increase the percentage of correct calls for potentially game changing incidents. 

No brainier 

Not sure it would have helped us today.

Probably someone with a better angle has posted on the main match thread but their early goal I saw no offence.