Dreaded car problems

Jambomuzz

So far went in for its year 2 service.

peaguot 208 66plate. 26500 miles on the clock.

Bought 1 year ago with 18000 miles on the clock from Arnold Clark.

Decided to go with Arnold Clark for its service which was maybe my first mistake but as still under warranty it needed to be peaguot registered garage.

anyway I’m told that th front break disks are sitting heavily corroded and scored and need replaced along with the pads that are sitting at 6mm, to the tune of 400 quid.  

Is this the norm for a car of that age and that many miles on the clock? I’m not a crazy driver or anything, regularly have kids in the car so just average road usage really. 

Thanks if anyone has advice. 

Thunderstruck
31 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Decided to go with Arnold Clark for its service which was maybe my first mistake but as still under warranty it needed to be peaguot registered garage.

anyway I’m told that th front break disks are sitting heavily corroded and scored and need replaced along with the pads that are sitting at 6mm, to the tune of 400 quid.  

Is this the norm for a car of that age and that many miles on the clock? I’m not a crazy driver or anything, regularly have kids in the car so just average road usage really. 

I’ve heard others talk of this happening at Arnold Clark.

Suggest you go elsewhere for a second opinion. 

I bought my last car from them under manufacturer's warranty.  Had its first service the next year nothing found.  The year after that it was due its first MOT, and they told me the seatbelts weren't fitted correctly in the back and charged me an outrageous figure as it was classed as an MOT fail - there hadn't been any passengers in the back since I bought it so they sold me it that way and didn't spot it the year after.

I have never used them again and wouldn't buy another car from them.

Horatio Caine

I had the same problem with my 66 reg Skoda.  18K miles  £240 repair.  Service dept said it is an industry wide issue as brake materials have changed recently to meet new standards.  It was NOT at Arnold Clark's.

Brake discs will last different times depending how often you use them. Also depends when the last time they were changed is. Corrosion on brakes is more common when the car doesn't get used that often and is sitting still. Unfortunately scoring is a part of life. The pads will do that, especially if a bit of grit or stone has worked its way between them and the discs. One of the reasons that you should always change your discs and pads at the same time, to make sure the surface of both match each other and give you the maximum possible area for braking. 

Some places can 'skim' the surface of brake discs to remove scoring, but that really only buys you time. 

27 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I had the same problem with my 66 reg Skoda.  18K miles  £240 repair.  Service dept said it is an industry wide issue as brake materials have changed recently to meet new standards.  It was NOT at Arnold Clark's.

Garage (Belmont) told my daughter that the manufacturers often use crap soft metal on new cars, her's was a Seat Ibiza, 18 month old when she learned that her brake discs were knackered, she'd only done about 14k miles in it as well.

A quick look on a popular car parts website (guessed the model of your car) and can get 2 discs and 2 sets of pads for 50 notes.

400 quid?  Robbing gits!

I just got my rear discs and pads changed - £130 all in for a Ford Mondeo

You should do the brakes yourself it's really easy the hardest part is getting the tyres off. Go on youtube there's are tons of guys like savage garage that give you a step by step walk through. 

5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You should do the brakes yourself it's really easy the hardest part is getting the tyres off. Go on youtube there's are tons of guys like savage garage that give you a step by step walk through. 

Unless you really no what your doing I wouldn't be messing with brakes.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I bought my last car from them under manufacturer's warranty.  Had its first service the next year nothing found.  The year after that it was due its first MOT, and they told me the seatbelts weren't fitted correctly in the back and charged me an outrageous figure as it was classed as an MOT fail - there hadn't been any passengers in the back since I bought it so they sold me it that way and didn't spot it the year after.

I have never used them again and wouldn't buy another car from them.

Is it a Seat?

9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You forgot to mention the wind back tool.

10 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Unless you have the proper tools, it is not an easy job. Getting the discs off (especially if they haven't been off in a while) can be a royal  pain in the arse. Also, you really need two people to bleed them properly.

3 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

If the discs are heavily coroded then it'll be obvious to you as  you'll be able to see that. If they need changed then it makes sense to do the pads at the same time as the wheels are off anyway and you'll not be paying any extra labour to have them fitted.

1 minute ago, trotter said:

Unless you have the proper tools, it is not an easy job. Getting the discs off (especially if they haven't been off in a while) can be a royal  pain in the arse. Also, you really need two people to bleed them properly.

You only need to bleed the lines if your taking the calipers off. You don't need to do that for pads and discs unless you want to change the lot.

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

You don't need to take the tyres off!

You just take the wheels complete with tyres off. 

:whistling:

1 hour ago, moshy said:

You forgot to mention the wind back tool.

You don't need a wind-back tool on front calipers, unless the hand brake works on the front wheel as well.

(like some Citroens used to) But even then you don't need a wind-back tool. 

4 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

The bit I've bolded is incorrect. 

Take it to another independent garage to have a quick check of the brakes if you can;t do it yourself or know someone who can.

4 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Just 8.5k miles in 12 months ? "heavily" corroded - but this has all happened in just 12 months ? Simply not credible - unless Clark's does zero pre sales check/service on its cars. Scandalous. If you have to get it done there make sure you specify you want the old parts for reference. 

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

PS what's the point in a warranty when you've got heavily corroded breaks after just 2 years ? 

Warranty doesn't cover friction items.

10 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Just 8.5k miles in 12 months ? "heavily" corroded - but this has all happened in just 12 months ? Simply not credible - unless Clark's does zero pre sales check/service on its cars. Scandalous. If you have to get it done there make sure you specify you want the old parts for reference. 

He doesn't. 

21 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

You don't need to take the tyres off!

You just take the wheels complete with tyres off. 

:whistling:

You don't need a wind-back tool on front calipers, unless the hand brake works on the front wheel as well.

(like some Citroens used to) But even then you don't need a wind-back tool. 

Enlighten me how it's done without a wind back tool or mole grips?

8 minutes ago, moshy said:

Enlighten me how it's done without a wind back tool or mole grips?

Front calipers? 

I usually use one of these  85193.jpg  or 63642.jpg      depending on access and size of caliper pots etc. 

5 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Is it fek.

Trouble is it only needs to be their opinion.

Going to be a tough time coming for motorist with cars unable to leave garage if failed mot.

As an aside I've had great service from Arnold so 

10 minutes ago, jake said:

Is it fek.

Trouble is it only needs to be their opinion.

Going to be a tough time coming for motorist with cars unable to leave garage if failed mot.

As an aside I've had great service from Arnold so 

If a car is unroadworthy you can't currently drive it away from a failed MOT. 

What's the new thing you are implying?

Edited by SUTOL

46 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Front calipers? 

I usually use one of these  85193.jpg  or 63642.jpg      depending on access and size of caliper pots etc. 

No, I was meaning rear pistons, fair play to you using them, I have the wind back kit. 

3 minutes ago, moshy said:

No, I was meaning rear pistons, fair play to you using them, I have the wind back kit. 

Fair enough.

I've used long nose pliers into the appropriate holes/slots on rear calipers and wound them in using them and some pressure. 

I probably should just spend the £25 or so and get a wind back tool kit. But being honest I don't do as much work on my own cars these days. 

Update.

while at the garage i asked if they had the service documents relating to the service that was on my car at their garage prior to me buying the car, I was told I would not be allowed these documents as it would breach GDRP as it may have a previous customers name on it. Really I just wanted to see what notes there were relating to the state of the car when that was done. 

So on my way back from the garage after picking the car up I stopped in at a local garage that explained to me that while there was slight scoring he wouldn’t have even raised the issue as an “advisory” when doing a service. I’ll probably get a 3rd opinion to be on the safe side as you can’t be too careful with brakes, but it seems as though Arnold Clark are at the wind up.

https://www.arnoldclarkcustomerservices.com/Evhc/ViewCheckList.aspx?uid=6e1a50ee-aff6-4ec3-8d0e-a9464a8c6e87&rnd=6736

if anyone wants to view the video they sent me that’s it above 

15 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Update.

while at the garage i asked if they had the service documents relating to the service that was on my car at their garage prior to me buying the car, I was told I would not be allowed these documents as it would breach GDRP as it may have a previous customers name on it. Really I just wanted to see what notes there were relating to the state of the car when that was done. 

So on my way back from the garage after picking the car up I stopped in at a local garage that explained to me that while there was slight scoring he wouldn’t have even raised the issue as an “advisory” when doing a service. I’ll probably get a 3rd opinion to be on the safe side as you can’t be too careful with brakes, but it seems as though Arnold Clark are at the wind up.

https://www.arnoldclarkcustomerservices.com/Evhc/ViewCheckList.aspx?uid=6e1a50ee-aff6-4ec3-8d0e-a9464a8c6e87&rnd=6736

if anyone wants to view the video they sent me that’s it above 

I wouldn't be paying to change those discs. I wouldn't waste my time getting a 3rd opinion either. Nor would I go back to AC.

My car is a year old and is due its first service.  Arnold clark want 279 quid to do it which is outrageous to change the oil.  Can i get it serviced at Halfords for instance without affecting my warranty

2 minutes ago, savage said:

My car is a year old and is due its first service.  Arnold clark want 279 quid to do it which is outrageous to change the oil.  Can i get it serviced at Halfords for instance without affecting my warranty

At 279 it sounds like a full service, not an intermittent one. Is the car one or two years old?

I'd expect a saving from somewhere else but not a huge one. They always give a decent looking price and then add on £x for an oil change and £y for something else. 

My Skoda isn't going to need a service until year two or x miles and I expect it to cost similar.

21 minutes ago, savage said:

I was 219 for a major service.  I still don’t actually have an invoice for the work done while the car was in, as those systems were down. 

...a bit disco

A few years ago, I took my Fiat Brava (£800 of car) to Arnold Clark for a service.

Went to pick it up and they hit me with a report for £1200 of repairs to make the car MOT worthy. Took it down to Autospares on Gogar Station Road. £200 all in. AC never got my custom again.

1 hour ago, Jambomuzz said:

The video does show a score on the inside of the disc, but no sign of pitting, despite what he said. There did also look to be a reasonable 'lip' on the edge of the disc, which is an indication that the disc is wearing/worn. If he was worried about the depth of the lip/wear of the disc he should have measured the thickness and checked what the manufacturers tolerance is for disc wear. And then advised on that. 

It would also be useful to know how worn the disc on the other of the car is as well, because if it isn't as worn it could indicate a sticking caliper, but I would also expect one side to have pads that are more worn than the other if the caliper is sticking.

But if he thinks your car has to offside rear wheels, then I'd not pay too much attention to what they say, if they can't even get that basic thing correct!

I bought a 7 month old car this summer, so pleased I negotiated a couple of years free servicing. I’ve been conned by garages before. Luckily I have a decent wee local garage for when the warranty is up. I’ve been burned by Arnold Clark and Kwik Fit before so won’t use them.