Drew Busby - Hall of Fame inductee

Notts1874

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think Cruickie, Prentice and Busby were still on the books when we first got relegated in 77. 

Donald Ford was released after the final in 1976 ☹️. My first Hearts hero . 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• jambovambo

• Big Drew

• Doctor FinnBarr

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think Cruickie, Prentice and Busby were still on the books when we first got relegated in 77. 

True, but the carboard was pretty bare elsewhere after Callachan was sold and with the Club not perparing properly for the new ten team league, after the near relegation miss of the previous season.

peebles jambo
21 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I can't wait for the evening and will obviously be on my best behaviour. 

A selfie with the Buzzbomb is on the cards.

I have been forgiven......(And warned).

Got my picture take alongside him at Liverpool, true gentleman and a legend in my younger days

Just now, Jingle Bells said:

True, but the carboard was pretty bare elsewhere after Callachan was sold and with the Club not perparing properly for the new ten team league, after the near relegation miss of the previous season.

As an aside - In 1974-75, the 18 first division teams played for position within the top ten, with the first ten forming the Premier League and the bottom eight joining the top six from the second division to form the new first division. Hearts were bottom of the 18-team league with 2 points after 7 games following a 5-0 humping at Dundee United. Fortunately, new manager John Hagart managed to get us into the top ten. The first year of the Premier league saw a close fight to stay up; and then after a good first half of season 1976-77 (including the 5-1 win at home over Leipzig) our form collapsed and we were relegated.

Congratulations to Drew Busby - a shining light during a period when the club went into freefall as described in his excellent, sold-out autobiography.

Drew Busby Book.jpg

Lived round the corner from me when I lived in Alexandria, sure he’s still there. I’m not saying he definitely voted for me in a council election, but the wink and handshake outside Renton Community Centre suggest the possibility. 

Edited by Big D

Hearts Heritage
16 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

The first year of the Premier league saw a close fight to stay up; and then after a good first half of season 1976-77 (including the 5-1 win at home over Leipzig) our form collapsed and we were relegated.

Also coincided with disputes over bonuses and general player unrest.

After beating Killie 4-0 the results were shocking and the home defeat to Ayr United effectively 'relegated' the team 6 points behind with 6 games to go.

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock (Premier)
Celtic 5-1 Hearts (Premier)
Kilmarnock 2-1 Hearts (Premier)
Motherwell 2-1 Hearts (Premier)
Hearts 1-1 Dundee United (Premier)
Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen (Premier)
Hibernian 3-1 Hearts (Premier)
Partick Thistle 2-0 Hearts (Premier)
Hearts 0-3 Celtic (Premier)
Hearts 1-2 Ayr United (Premier)
Hearts 1-3 Rangers (Premier)
Hearts 2-2 Hibernian (Premier)
Kilmarnock 2-2 Hearts (Premier)
Dundee United 1-2 Hearts (Premier)
Ayr United 1-1 Hearts (Premier)
Hearts 3-2 Motherwell (Premier)

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

His name is Drew Busby, the cock o the north.

:notworthy:

He plays at Tynecastle, just over the Forth..

As an aside, apart from getting his autograph about a.hundred times outside Tynecastle, I met him at a Hearts players birthday party many moons ago,  Even to a wee boy, I could tell what a nice guy he was.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

As an aside, apart from getting his autograph about a.hundred times outside Tynecastle, I met him at a Hearts players birthday party many moons ago,  Even to a wee boy, I could tell what a nice guy he was.

I never had the pleasure of watching Mr Busby. Are there films you could recommend please. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I never had the pleasure of watching Mr Busby. Are there films you could recommend please. 

Films?  Films?

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Films?  Films?

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Films?  Films?

Footage. Are there dvds of his time at Hearts.  There's only small clips on YouTube. 

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Footage. Are there dvds of his time at Hearts. 

Sorry mate, I was a wee bit slow there :sad: 

In answer to your question, if there any dvds available, I don’t know of them.

There's little official DVD/VHS footage - but try Hearts 90 goals v H1b5, or 'Back from the Brink' both on VHS or type his name into a you tube search and his two crackers against Celtic in October 1978 will come up.

Just now, Morgan said:

Sorry mate, I was a wee bit slow there :sad: 

In answer to your question, if there any dvds available, I don’t know of them.

OK sorry. I'll watch everything I can on him on YouTube. Just enjoyed his 2 against Celtic, especially the one that squirmed under the keeper. :D

1 hour ago, 12august1893 said:

Also coincided with disputes over bonuses and general player unrest.

Yep, not a good ending to the season Davy. The home defeat 1-2 v Ayr always sticks in my memory - remember Malky Robertson getting sent off after an altercation with Jim McSherry who wrapped a Hearts scarf sarcastically around Malky (after a fan had walked onto the pitch and threw his scarf down in disgust) and got a reaction when Malky walloped him!

Drew spoke about the bonuses and unrest when we did the book. There was also the story about promoted reserves getting extra and then established players being refused increases. A sure sign of the penny pinching that was going on behind the scenes - the money just wasn't there.

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

One of his best ever goals for Hearts! And his second - and match report.

Kilmarnock (SC3) 2-0 (H) 29.1.75 Busby heads home for hearts.jpg

Kilmarnock (SC3) 2-0 (H) 29.1.75 Busby wheels away after scoring.jpg

Kilmarnock 2-0 (H) (SC3) Jan 1975 Eve News.jpg

I was right behind the goal that night, remember it well, oh and Willie Bauld was guest of honour or something like that.

Does anyone remember him getting red carded at Easter Road at the same time two of his victims were being streachered off down the tunnel. We were Rotten at the time and Busby seemed to be the only one that  cared and became a legend on the back of it

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm sure Drew told a story of a derby match when he was involved in a challenge for the ball with John Blackley. Blackley had a real chance to 'do' Busby but did not do so and I seem to recall Drew being grateful and voicing this and Drew did enjoy a tackle. Different game back then.

Blackley was a class act to be fair.

Indeed, Jonno.

Tbh, so were Brownlie and Schaedler in that defence of theirs.

A game I remember was Christmas Eve at Gayfield, Arbroath.  We won 7-0 and Busby and Willie Gibson both bagged hat-tricks.

Edited by Morgan

A Shoreditch Heart
19 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Does anyone remember him getting red carded at Easter Road at the same time two of his victims were being streachered off down the tunnel. We were Rotten at the time and Busby seemed to be the only one that  cared and became a legend on the back of it

pretty sure it was an East Of Scotland shield match in August  and we got beat 2-1. I think the Buzzbomb had an 'altercation' with the hibs trainer when he got sent off in front of the dugout - it was pretty full on - off and on the pitch that day!

14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Brownlie was magnificent until his leg break. 

Great to see Alan Anderson being inducted as well. 

Looking forward to an evening of nostalgia and a few beers.

:wink:

There may be trouble ahead...

:whistling:

5 hours ago, gerryjambo41 said:

Not before time, one of our own that lived the dream and was a right good player too . I don’t think it was coincidence that we got relegated after he retired.

Correct gerry, I work with his daughter. She has shown me loads of photos throughout his career, and he's an absolute gentleman. Remember I used to go in th the wheatshif pub in Dalkeith many years ago for a pint and a chat. Great guy.

Really looking forward to next week! Having never been to anything like this before (I know, I’m ashamed) can anyone tell me what the format is usually like. Meal options, drink options, in what order etc? Is there a disco? 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm sure Drew told a story of a derby match when he was involved in a challenge for the ball with John Blackley. Blackley had a real chance to 'do' Busby but did not do so and I seem to recall Drew being grateful and voicing this and Drew did enjoy a tackle. Different game back then.

Blackley was a class act to be fair.

I met Blackley and Cormack at a 1974 world Cup dinner and I really wanted to hate them but 2 nicer people you could not meet. Sandy Jardine was there 2 and when we talked about Hearts he cut us off with I'm a Rangers man myself which was a bit disappointing. Busby though when I have met him is Busby a lovely modest guy so for once meeting a hero did not disappoint 

2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

There's little official DVD/VHS footage - but try Hearts 90 goals v H1b5, or 'Back from the Brink' both on VHS or type his name into a you tube search and his two crackers against Celtic in October 1978 will come up.

You can see me as a boy jumping about daft.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I met Blackley and Cormack at a 1974 world Cup dinner and I really wanted to hate them but 2 nicer people you could not meet. Sandy Jardine was there 2 and when we talked about Hearts he cut us off with I'm a Rangers man myself which was a bit disappointing. Busby though when I have met him is Busby a lovely modest guy so for once meeting a hero did not disappoint 

Has sticky fingers I'm told, stole (allegedly) my wifes brand new Sharpie pen at the Corn Exchange in our Championship days. Only found it missing after he left, John Robertson* grassed him up!

* I think that wee goalscoring git robbed it myself

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

A game I remember was Christmas Eve at Gayfield, Arbroath.  We won 7-0 and Busby and Willie Gibson both bagged hat-tricks.

Top day out on the SCAB Hearts bus...

Just now, A Shoreditch Heart said:

pretty sure it was an East Of Scotland shield match in August  and we got beat 2-1. I think the Buzzbomb had an 'altercation' with the hibs trainer when he got sent off in front of the dugout - it was pretty full on - off and on the pitch that day!

Think that's the game when the Hearts fans left our end and came in the other crazy days

4 hours ago, assessor said:

I was right behind the goal that night, remember it well, oh and Willie Bauld was guest of honour or something like that.

Nearly 20,000 there that night. Remember it well.

2 hours ago, andi17 said:

Think that's the game when the Hearts fans left our end and came in the other crazy days

The very same, Andi.

A wild time.

ginger jambo98
2 hours ago, jambovambo said:

Top day out on the SCAB Hearts bus...

Next time we went up there, SCAB had 3 buses if my memory serves me well. A logistical nightmare for the erstwhile bus convenor big Youngy !

7 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Next time we went up there, SCAB had 3 buses if my memory serves me well. A logistical nightmare for the erstwhile bus convenor big Youngy !

Spoke to Youngy at the last home game but one!!

Doctor FinnBarr
30 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Twice I went up to Abersheep with Blackburn/Whitburn and ended up coming back on the Lithgae bus, Lithgae is a hell of a place to get a taxi at 3 in the morning

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

He drinks all of your whisky and Newcastle Brown the .........

11 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

He drinks all of your whisky and Newcastle Brown the .........

Gorgie boys are in town..

3 hours ago, weehammy said:

Alan was a great servant and a top centre half.

He was and was one of my early Hearts heroes! I’ve often thought about the rumours that he did not prepare properly for the 0-7 game and because of that he was not in his top physical condition!

Pasquale for King

I don’t really remember him that much but my dad loved him “give us their ****ing blood” was his cry ?. I saw a YouTube clip of him injuring two Hibs players in one tackle at ER and getting sent off ?.  He also broke Alex Macdonalds leg I think when Busby played for Airdrie. A real cult hero at a time when we were going through a dark period. 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t really remember him that much but my dad loved him “give us their ****ing blood” was his cry ?. I saw a YouTube clip of him injuring two Hibs players in one tackle at ER and getting sent off ?.  He also broke Alex Macdonalds leg I think when Busby played for Airdrie. A real cult hero at a time when we were going through a dark period. 

I think he injured Doddy, but DB was at Morton at the time - after us.

Absolutely delighted to hear this news.

Drew & Alan thoroughly deserve it.

It wasn't a great time to be a Hearts supporter,  but these guys gave their all for the shirt.

Hope they have a great night !?

On 17/11/2018 at 17:25, Morgan said:

Was that the haar/pea souper game?

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

This sums him up for me.  Never a great footballer as others inducted in the Hall of Fame, but deserves to be there nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

This sums him up for me.  Never a great footballer as others inducted in the Hall of Fame, but deserves to be there nonetheless.

He was one of the few you were really glad to be in the team in those days so I agree he is worthy of induction imo.