The Outlaw King

Vic Vespa

Released today.

I have nothing to say on the film released today as my other half is on a night out ☹️

I saw Bohammywammy Rapsuddy is on 3 pages and I feel this is more important.

Anybody watched it yet ? I've seen trailers it does look good will report back once watched 

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Rally200 said:

Released today.

I have nothing to say on the film released today as my other half is on a night out ☹️

I saw Bohammywammy Rapsuddy is on 3 pages and I feel this is more important.

Anybody watched it yet ? I've seen trailers it does look good will report back once watched 

Superb film. Best thing on Netflix IMO ?

Started off decent but felt there was something missing the whole way through. As a history buff there were quite a few historical inaccuracies that annoyed me, it's the type of story that's so interesting it really doesn't need much embellishment. Also felt cheated at the end, they've missed out the most important bit of the story FFS :rofl:

Edited by moogsy

Madam and I watched it last night. It's good, with some decent performances. Chris Pine's Scottish accent gets an honourable mention, and the indefatigable James Cosmo gets another outing in a Scotland v England sequel. As already mentioned, Craigmillar Castle was to the fore, and in general, the whole film and story held together well. 

We felt whilst it filled a couple of hours nicely, there weren't too many standout moments - the sort that everyone talks about or quotes afterwards, and tends to move 'good' films into the 'great' category. 7.25 out of 10 from us though.

5 minutes ago, moogsy said:

Started off decent but felt there was something missing the whole way through. As a history buff there were quite a few historical inaccuracies that annoyed me, it's the type of story that's so interesting it really doesn't need much embellishment. Also felt cheated at the end, they've missed out the most important bit of the story FFS :rofl:

As did we.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

God bless the King of Scots! 

Did he not get investigated for touching up his secretary?

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it although I did have one eye in the sheep wee team game. 

Good to see craigmillar castle and others in it. Thought Chris pine did a Scottish accent pretty well, well better than that gallus weegie mad max.  

Don’t think they got the right balance of gratuitous 14th century dusky maiden chebbage quite right but a minor point. 

Not sure Barry Norman ever got the chance to use the line 'dusky maiden chebbage' in all his years as a film critic!

3 hours ago, moogsy said:

The spider!? 

Seen the the interview with Graeme Norton a few weeks ago and he mentioned this part wasn’t in it? 

53 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

The spider!? 

Seen the the interview with Graeme Norton a few weeks ago and he mentioned this part wasn’t in it? 

There’s a very quick line about a spider and a web which I think was a nod to it but yeah there’s no actual scene. 

I was meaning the battle of Bannockburn though. 

9 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it although I did have one eye in the sheep wee team game. 

Good to see craigmillar castle and others in it. Thought Chris pine did a Scottish accent pretty well, well better than that gallus weegie mad max.  

Don’t think they got the right balance of gratuitous 14th century dusky maiden chebbage quite right but a minor point. 

I don't think we spoke like either back then. 

8 hours ago, moogsy said:

Part 2

7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Did he not get investigated for touching up his secretary?

Did he? Wasn't mentioned in the film, but a hit poker was, kinda. 

Yes, I know who. 

Edited by ri Alban

I enjoyed it, but thought the pacing was a bit off in places - like when it tried to explain how the death of Wallace set him off, it didn’t ring particularly true. If you didn’t know the story I think it might have been quite confusing, tbh. Good romp though, and yes he does well with the accent. 

As an aside “I swear on these swans!” had me in stitches.  

On 10/11/2018 at 03:57, moogsy said:

I thought it was a good movie and quite accurate compared to most historical films.

Except for the battle of Louden Hill.  The one-on-one duel at the end between Bruce and Edward was silly.  And Margaret wasn't released from her cage until after Bannockburn, 7 years later.

Still, worth a watch, imo.

My son is an extra in it :verysmug: had to baby sit last night to allow him and his wife to go to see it. 

he also been in Game of Thrones as well. :smugger:

Good until the ending. The storyline was decent, reasonably accurate for a movie until the battle of Loudoun Hill. Why ruin it with that? Why put Edward II in it? :laugh:Jesus wept. The battle scene was good but the film can’t end there in 1307 ffs, it has to end in 1314, 1320 or 1329. 

Why didn’t they do it in two parts? Like the Che Guevara one? That would have been much better. The ending was shite and ruined the whole film for me, 7/10. 

rudi must stay
18 hours ago, benny said:

The acting of young Edwardd and Bruce's wife was bad.

The ending of Loudoun Hill battle was laughable.

7/10.

You joking?

Both are the best performances in it. She is a future superstar 

As an aside Edward was an extra in Dunkirk, doesn't that say it all about Christopher Nolan, he really does know talent

Psychedelicropcircle
On 10/11/2018 at 04:07, ri Alban said:

God bless the King of Scots! 

FFS. Don’t say that Spanish wave will be along in a minute to thread swerve this into an vote no issue?

Better call Saul
8 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good until the ending. The storyline was decent, reasonably accurate for a movie until the battle of Loudoun Hill. Why ruin it with that? Why put Edward II in it? :laugh:Jesus wept. The battle scene was good but the film can’t end there in 1307 ffs, it has to end in 1314, 1320 or 1329. 

Why didn’t they do it in two parts? Like the Che Guevara one? That would have been much better. The ending was shite and ruined the whole film for me, 7/10. 

So the battle of bannockburn wasn't in it.. Ffs 

Am out. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They are planning on doing 'parts' two and three apparently. Taking it up til Bannockburn

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

They are planning on doing 'parts' two and three apparently. Taking it up til Bannockburn

Well if that's the case then that would devalue the whole thing. No need at all for sequals

4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Never knew that, it makes sense. It has to have Bannockburn, treaty of Arbroath, Bruce’s death and ultimately Douglas’s death in Spain while carrying Bruce’s heart to Jerusalem. 

5 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

So the battle of bannockburn wasn't in it.. Ffs 

Am out. 

Apparently there is more! Which makes the films ending make more sense.

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Well if that's the case then that would devalue the whole thing. No need at all for sequals

Eh? How can the story of Bruce end in 1307 at Loudoun Hill? He hadn’t even got started yet. 

7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Not how I see it. This is a straight to Netflix movie. Could sort of pan out like a mini series.

Think it needs to be taken with fresh perspective that we consume TV shows/movies differently these days.

Either way wether it is stand alone or they follow it up. It's pretty well made and a good watch. I'm all for more of this kind of thing. It's far better than majority of the Hollywood/cinema jobs of the past few years.

Edited by Alan_R

Very enjoyable. Right mix of action and dialogue I thought. And it looked great. 

Hopefully they are making more to complete the story.

4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Eh? How can the story of Bruce end in 1307 at Loudoun Hill? He hadn’t even got started yet. 

Can't see there being a sequel tbh. The film ended mentioning Scottish independence and even James VI becoming James I of England. Even included Marjorie's release which was after Bannockburn.

Its odd not to include it but doing a sequel that's before the end of the last film would be even odder.

20 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Can't see there being a sequel tbh. The film ended mentioning Scottish independence and even James VI becoming James I of England. Even included Marjorie's release which was after Bannockburn.

Its odd not to include it but doing a sequel that's before the end of the last film would be even odder.

Agree. How could they show her release at the end of one film and then start the next one with her back in captivity? Would make no sense.

27 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Agree. How could they show her release at the end of one film and then start the next one with her back in captivity? Would make no sense.

They haven't.

The film doesn't stay exactly true to the dates.

In the dialogue at the end Marjorie is already waiting back at the castle for them.

2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Did they not do that with Star Wars?

20 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

FFS. Don’t say that Spanish wave will be along in a minute to thread swerve this into an vote no issue?

If there's demand for sequels they'll make them. 

Better call Saul
14 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Never knew that, it makes sense. It has to have Bannockburn, treaty of Arbroath, Bruce’s death and ultimately Douglas’s death in Spain while carrying Bruce’s heart to Jerusalem. 

Apparently there is more! Which makes the films ending make more sense.

I hope so as I like the look of it... Watched the first duration up until the raid/fight  on the Loch then the wife began to moan like #### as she didn't like so switched it off to watch another time when she hopefully f#### off to her mums. 

Rage over 

16 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I hope so as I like the look of it... Watched the first duration up until the raid/fight  on the Loch then the wife began to moan like #### as she didn't like so switched it off to watch another time when she hopefully f#### off to her mums. 

Rage over 

:laugh: Sounds familiar 

Apparently Angus Macfadyen who played Robert the Bruce in Braveheart is making a film called Robert the Bruce 

it wont have the same budget but he’ll probably get the ending right

jack D and coke
On 12/11/2018 at 03:05, Cruyff Turn said:

As it said at the end of the film it was the turning point for him maybe? If I hadn’t read on here Bannockburn wasn’t in there I’d have been pretty shocked so as it was it prepared me for that bizarre omission. 

Did think it was still pretty good with some good gore in the battlescenes too. Maybe after louden hill it would’ve just been another big battle scene and they felt maybe that was too much of the same I don’t know. No need for that cringey ending but still a solid 9/10 for me. 

We’re lucky in this country to have these cracking history stories and not enough films are made about Wallace and Bruce etc for me. 

Why not one about Douglas too? He sounds a mental character also I’d like to know more. 

I’ve been looking around for books on it all now has anybody read these ones? Supposed to be decent. 

The Bruce Trilogy: "Steps to the Empty Throne", "Price of the King's Peace" and "Path of the Hero King" (Coronet Books) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0340371862/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6396BbQ2DVF7G

Any other recommendations appreciated??

Captain America

Watched it last night.

Tried to be prepared for historical inaccuracies based on things I have read etc but from the get go, they annoyed me.

Bruce being one of the last lords to surrender (in film) when in fact he surrendered years before other Scottish lords.

The character of the Douglas made it a semi enjoyable watch though.

Thought the ending was abrupt too. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

As it said at the end of the film it was the turning point for him maybe? If I hadn’t read on here Bannockburn wasn’t in there I’d have been pretty shocked so as it was it prepared me for that bizarre omission. 

Did think it was still pretty good with some good gore in the battlescenes too. Maybe after louden hill it would’ve just been another big battle scene and they felt maybe that was too much of the same I don’t know. No need for that cringey ending but still a solid 9/10 for me. 

We’re lucky in this country to have these cracking history stories and not enough films are made about Wallace and Bruce etc for me. 

Why not one about Douglas too? He sounds a mental character also I’d like to know more. 

I’ve been looking around for books on it all now has anybody read these ones? Supposed to be decent. 

The Bruce Trilogy: "Steps to the Empty Throne", "Price of the King's Peace" and "Path of the Hero King" (Coronet Books) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0340371862/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6396BbQ2DVF7G

The Insurgents trilogy by Robyn Young is honestly brilliant 

William H. Bonney

The good thing about not knowing anything about Scottish history, or to be honest, giving a shit about Scottish history is that I can enjoy this movie for what it is. 

I liked it enough to get to the end and feel

my time watching it had been well spent. Will probably watch it again. I’d read about the battle scenes being crazy brutal but as a seasoned Game of Thrones’er I wasn’t too horrified. They are full on though.

The swans moment still makes me smile now. Terrifically batshit. 

And...

“What’s my ****ing name?!!!”

:biggrin2:

Time films were made about the plantation of Ulster, Darien, the glorious revolution, the Union of 1707 and its aftermath and the Tobacco Lords. 

The White Cockade
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Time films were made about the plantation of Ulster, Darien, the glorious revolution, the Union of 1707 and its aftermath and the Tobacco Lords. 

Also the Jacobite Rebellions, the Massacre at Glencoe, the Marquis of Montrose, John Paul Jones, Andrew Carnegie, Rabbie Burns, Columba, the Picts, Roman Invasion etc etc

Edited by The White Cockade

Baldwigforjack
12 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Excellent books, can't go wrong with Nigel Tranter imo. 

38 minutes ago, Baldwigforjack said:

Excellent books, can't go wrong with Nigel Tranter imo. 

I loved reading his books. Think he wrote one about Douglas too