Romanov. The banter years

Skippy Doodle

My favourite Romanov story is from just after he took over, and his goons started feeding stories to the press about John Robertson, to lay the groundwork for his sacking.

’What a class act,’ I thought at the time, anonymously smearing the club’s greatest modern hero, to serve his own selfish interests.

Edited by dc-jambo
Just no need for that bit

Geoff Kilpatrick

We should post the Rangers RIP back pages. Between Hearts and Kaunas we cost them a lot of money they had already accounted for. :)

:glorious:

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

If you look back, about year or so before his financial troubles, he started a concerted effort to make Hearts financially self-sufficient. If he hadn’t done that, the situation would’ve been a hell of a lot worse when the shit did hit the fan. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Took me years to notice the horse is wearing a scarf as well 

You know, I've had that avatar for about ten years and never noticed that!

:laugh2:

Captain Price

Are there any publications with stories from players/staff about their time during the Vlad Era? I remember listening to Michael Stewart and Ryan McGowan’s interview with MNF a few years back and being so fascinated with the ridiculous stories :lol:

5 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

What a man..

Wish someone was able to write a book of it all.

There is definitely a Netflix Original in this..

tartofmidlothian
31 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We should post the Rangers RIP back pages. Between Hearts and Kaunas we cost them a lot of money they had already accounted for. :)

:glorious:

:spoton: Search for "Rangers beaten by Kaunas" and take your pick of photos. That was the result which set the dominoes off.

13 hours ago, Zico said:

The best ones are on already - the horse, the cow, wheelbarrow races, boxing,  Rima. But also taking flowers from the garage to Burley post-sacking. And the beach marketing with the ugly man and scared child. 

Was that not our Kitman / Hearty Harry?

That hilarious day against St. Mirren when we had to prepare ourselves for the thought that this was the last ever game for Hearts. God, how we laughed and laughed at good ole Mr Romanov and his mischievous shenanigans. Am I really the only one that doesn't buy into the whole "Whaddaguy" thing ? He almost finished us. 

GC 

PS Before the onslaught of "Yes but what about the trophies ?", I'm well aware that our profligacy allowed us to enjoy some of our best days. Wouldn't have been enough for me if we'd gone under though. 

Edited by londonjambo

8 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

That hilarious day against St. Mirren when we had to prepare ourselves for the thought that this was the last ever game for Hearts. God, how we laughed and laughed at good ole Mr Romanov and his mischievous shenanigans. Am I really the only one that doesn't buy into the whole "Whaddaguy" thing ? He almost finished us. 

GC 

PS Before the onslaught of "Yes but what about the trophies ?", I'm well aware that our profligacy allowed us to enjoy some of our best days. Wouldn't have been enough for me if we'd gone under though. 

He took us over when we were ultimately going to die anyway.  He actually left us in pretty much the same position as when he took us over. But with some crazy and brilliant memories. He kept us at Tyncastle. Yes, his money could have been better spent but nobody could have predicted the financial crash of his bank etc.  The man is a legend albeit a mad one!

26 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

GC 

Nah, we'd have merely formed a new company and continued

The picture of the monkey in a seat at a desk with The Sun T Shirt on...he actually got it from a zoo in Vilnius i think. Someone with more skills than me can hopefully track it down.

Serving bananas and nuts to the media in the media centre at Tynie and, even better, some precious little souls in the media taking offence.

Everything he said about the SFA, referees, the Old Firm, and of course agents etc etc.....

He didn't bother about the wee team AT ALL, EVER they were a total irrelevance as they proved in semi final and finals

Trying to change our kit to green and yellow......ok maybe not that one

Trying to change our kit to tartan......eh, see above

Appointing Paulo Sergio

Appointing Rudi not once but twice

Champions League music at Tynecastle

Roman Bednar scoring against Rangers to equal the 8 wins record of our greatest ever team from 1914......still the biggest roar I have ever heard at Tynecastle

Some truly amazing times.