Where’s the best place to buy Euros just now?

Mr Sifter

When we come back to Edinburgh, which is usually five times a year, my wife will only buy in Thomas Cook (Hanover Street) or in John Lewis.  We bring loads back here with us and these two places always seem to have the best rates.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere with particularly good rates just now? Cheers FTH ??

I always withdraw currency from an ATM when away and when carrying a comparison on the rate compared to what's on offer back home, I've ALWAYS had the better rate. 

If you're only buying a modest amount, you're not going to see a huge benefit in hunting the best rate. Withdrawing cash as I go has been beneficial to me as I don't need to run the risk of the bulk being stolen/lost and I don't have the hassle of exchanging unspent amounts back at a loss. 

I use the Halifax Clarity Card as there are no fees for making withdrawals and I avoid paying interest as I just make online transfers to cover the withdrawals. I've had it for around eight years now with no issues and all good feedback. 

Sainsbury’s has started doing currency and has pretty good rates. The Money Shop usually has the best rates on the high street.

It’s all much of a muchness, but no1 currency normally has the best rates, just order the amount online and pick up in store, there is a store on queensferry street and one at Waverley, plus a few others as well I think.

Do you need it to be cash? If not get yourself a Revolut card. Best rates, exchange your cash as your need or when it hits a rate you like, can withdraw from ATM for a few hundred Euros and then it’s a few for any more

I carry limited cash abroad now, mainly for tips and taxi if not using Uber. 

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I always withdraw currency from an ATM when away and when carrying a comparison on the rate compared to what's on offer back home, I've ALWAYS had the better rate.

This.

Of course in most countries I'm withdrawing in my own currency, so it's cheap and there's no exchange rate.  I've had to pay charges and exchange rate costs in five European countries, but the convenience and security far outweigh any costs.

3 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

Do you need it to be cash? If not get yourself a Revolut card. Best rates, exchange your cash as your need or when it hits a rate you like, can withdraw from ATM for a few hundred Euros and then it’s a few for any more

I carry limited cash abroad now, mainly for tips and taxi if not using Uber. 

Another option is a prepaid Caxton card. Very competitive exchange rates in my experience.

I normally get mine at Ramsdens. I’ve also got a Revolut card and transfer money into that and there’s no charges for using it, unlike my usual debit card which would cost me a fortune. 

15 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Cheers for the info so far guys. For info, it’s about £1500 I’m lookin to change into euros ??

TravelFX online.

Edited by Sooperstar

It doesn't really matter though for holiday money. Just get it from wherever is most convenient. Even at 1500 quid you're talking about 10 euros here or there.

Moneysavingexpert have a comparison tool on their website

https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

They also have comparisons of the best cards to use abroad.

A lot of the main companies have price matching services so you can find out what the best price is then ask them to match it when ordering. You don't save a huge amount but may as well as it's 10 minutes work.

Edited by Stokesy

Euroexchange is very good, and cocnsistent.

one day a is best the next day b, but this lot seem to be rarely far out:

https://www.eurochange.co.uk/travel-money/exchange-rates

Euroexchange link

You can order on line then pick up.

They have a place at the Gyle which can be pretty handy as you could stop off on the way to the airport.

22 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere with particularly good rates just now? Cheers FTH ??

Could be wrong but aren't you better off changing currency in the country you're visiting?

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Could be wrong but aren't you better off changing currency in the country you're visiting?

In my experience, yes, we'd always tell our visitors to get euros on arrival in Amsterdam rather than Scotland when we lived in Holland.