The Premier League era & Sky TV

Harko

This is something that has been on my mind for a number of years now - but I think this season more than any other has probably finally driven me to starting a topic about it because it has now become something of a bugbear of mine - and I’d love to know what other people’s opinions are? I apologise if this has been covered in a specific thread already - and if so, can the mods please just add this comment to it? Thanks.

Anyway I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on the English Premier League era & Sky TV since it started in the 90s? 

I feel that I as a fan haven’t really benefited at all since this period of football started. The only things that have been good since it began was - the amazing coverage of Italian football on C4 that became the football viewing experience of choice for those of us who couldn’t afford Sky and Leicester winning an amazing underdog Premier League title a couple of seasons ago - but apart from that I think fans have been massively short-changed by the formation of the English Premier League & Sky TV era.

Here are some of my complaints:-

1 - domestic football is more ridiculously overpriced than ever for fans to go to games

2 - Sky TV is too expensive for a lot of people so they can’t watch live matches on TV regularly either, so...

3 - they have to go to the pub to watch games, where...

4 - the prices of pints have went up massively to pay for the eye-watering prices pubs have to pay for Sky, resulting in...

5 - many pubs that can’t afford Sky having to close because people don’t come when there is no football on the box...

6 - and ultimately us - the football supporters & local people/communities/businesses paying/suffering for this “big super-duper football extravaganza” that we now find ourselves in

I am not a fan of any Premier League club, but I will  probably watch the Chelsea v Man Utd game in the boozer with my pals tomorrow before heading to our game against Aberdeen - cause that’s just what we do on a match day. With that said - this is honestly the season that I genuinely have no real interest in what is happening down South in the EPL.

What are everyone else’s thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Brighton Jambo
5 minutes ago, Harko said:

This is something that has been on my mind for a number of years now - but I think this season more than any other has probably finally driven me to starting a topic about it because it has now become something of a bugbear of mine - and I’d love to know what other people’s opinions are? I apologise if this has been covered in a specific thread already - and if so, can the mods please just add this comment to it? Thanks.

Anyway I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on the English Premier League era & Sky TV since it started in the 90s? 

I feel that I as a fan haven’t really benefited at all since this period of football started. The only things that have been good since it began was - the amazing coverage of Italian football on C4 that became the football viewing experience of choice for those of us who couldn’t afford Sky and Leicester winning an amazing underdog Premier League title a couple of seasons ago - but apart from that I think fans have been massively short-changed by the formation of the English Premier League & Sky TV era.

Here are some of my complaints:-

1 - domestic football is more ridiculously overpriced than ever for fans to go to games

2 - Sky TV is too expensive for a lot of people so they can’t watch live matches on TV regularly either, so...

3 - they have to go to the pub to watch games, where...

4 - the prices of pints have went up massively to pay for the eye-watering prices pubs have to pay for Sky, resulting in...

5 - many pubs that can’t afford Sky having to close because people don’t come when there is no football on the box...

6 - and ultimately us - the football supporters & local people/communities/businesses paying/suffering for this “big super-duper football extravaganza” that we now find ourselves in

I am not a fan of any Premier League club, but I will  probably watch the Chelsea v Man Utd game in the boozer with my pals tomorrow before heading to our game against Aberdeen - cause that’s just what we do on a match day. With that said - this is honestly the season that I genuinely have no real interest in what is happening down South in the EPL.

What are everyone else’s thoughts and opinions on this matter?

I support Brighton as well as Hearts.  However I have lived my whole life in Scotland.  Without the coverage Sky and now BT sport provide I would almost literally never get to see them play.  The coverage teams get in the Championship and Premier League really is excellent especially for distant fans like me.  

I do appreciate that is a fairly niche perpective and will not be the common view on here!!

more generally I do think the standard of player now playing in England is better than 15/20 years ago.  Back then if you made a list of the worlds best 10 players they would almost exclusively play in Spain or Italy.  Do that list today and at least a third of that list play down south.  

In answer to your question, the Sky era has been terrible and has almost ruined the game.  The money that is swilling about in the top 4/5 leagues is obscene and has almost run a lot of the smaller clubs into the ground.  The main league titles are won in each of those leagues by 4/5 clubs an even that number is going to fall.  I hate what Sky and their ilk have done to our game.

I’m bored with top level football.Sky and tv in general has killed the game. Bayern Munich at tynecastle was one of my favourite games as a football fan.And  as a wee boy too. That’s what football should be all about. We will never see us competitive with the top clubs now. Those games are a thing of the past. Sad 

I actually find the OP a bit confusing, not the content itself but more the complaints. Only geography and shared media make the EPL relevant to supporters whose primary interest is Scottish football. For me this relevance is driven by a challenge to avoid it rather than benefiting from the easy access that we have to this foreign league. Leicester winning the title is of no more relevance and interest to me than Atletico winning a surprise Spanish title, or Montpellier the French.

I just don't see how any fans outside of England, or those who primarily support an English team, "have been massively short-changed by the formation of the English Premier League & Sky TV era"?