• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spirt of 98

• loveofthegame

• RudiHMFC

• gashauskis9

Bit gutted about this if true but not surprising, think we would have been unbeatable with him next to Berra and Souttar 

Good luck Jimmy 

I can see us playing 3 at the back a lot, so plenty of room for Jimmy.  And who knows, perhaps we'll even pick up the odd injury.......

Added goals as well as being a rock solid defender and top bloke on top of that.  Best of luck to him, either at Hearts or some lesser club ?

1 minute ago, naeclue said:

I can see us playing 3 at the back a lot, so plenty of room for Jimmy.  And who knows, perhaps we'll even pick up the odd injury.......

Added goals as well as being a rock solid defender and top bloke on top of that.  Best of luck to him, either at Hearts or some lesser club ?

We would have done that. 

But probably better overall with 442 or 451

Gutted we won't ever get to see the Berra - Dunne - Souttar back 3 :unlove:.

Top bloke and a top, top player who will go very far in football. Very glad for the short time we had him.

rudi must stay

Good luck to him, seems a very good professional. Absolutely fine with him leaving to be honest, he wasn't going to stay beyond May ultimately.  

Better defender than Souttar. Obviously Burnley think they may use him if he is not coming back. Would have been good to see him next to Berra 

Best of luck to him. Great professional and is still only a young lad. Will definitely play at a high level due to his talent and attitude. Came in and did a cracking job for us. 

4 hours ago, rick witter said:

Better defender than Souttar. Obviously Burnley think they may use him if he is not coming back. Would have been good to see him next to Berra 

Different type to Souttar. I'd take Souttar for his defending plus his ability to start attacks. Dunne's more of a stopper so would have been a great long-term replacement for Berra. Souttar and Dunne together would have been superb, or in a 3 with Berra. Crossed fingers these rumours are wrong and he's signing a 5 year contract with us.

Edited by Guest

Burnley have improved massively in recent weeks.

Maybe they won't need JD for this season after all.

I'd be amazed if Burnley got relegated they are a decent side on their day. I expect JD to get his chance in the EPL with them next season.

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Different type to Souttar. I'd take Souttar for his defending plus his ability to start attacks. Dunne's more of a stopper so would have been a great long-term replacement for Berra. Souttar and Dunne together would have been superb, or in a 3 with Berra. Crossed fingers these rumours are wrong and he's signing a 5 year contract with us.

Jimmy is well ahead of JS re ability as a defender....JS has improved but Dunne is the better player, well & truly...

Loan deal expires on the 6th dunne is first choice but failing that Conor Shaughnessy is the back up option we will know shortly what's happening with this 

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Jimmy is well ahead of JS re ability as a defender....JS has improved but Dunne is the better player, well & truly...

Without a shadow of a doubt. Personally I think we have struggled defensively since Dunne was injured. 

Thankfully Berra is about back up to speed now and the winter break will hopefully see Souttar get to fitness. 

Sorry but I just don't get the over the top praise for Dunne. I thought he was a very good stop gap when we lost our first choice centre backs but Souttar is a better defender, as is Berra of course. Quite happy to see him come back to us but not that bothered.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Sorry but I just don't get the over the top praise for Dunne. I thought he was a very good stop gap when we lost our first choice centre backs but Souttar is a better defender, as is Berra of course. Quite happy to see him come back to us but not that bothered.

Goal scoring centre back who really took a liking for us and acted a leader at the back (kept Dikamona in check etc).

He was a delight to watch, did more than just act a stop gap imo.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Playing for Leeds on Sunday in Cup might not affect us. 

A bit of match practice, could actually help us

Dunne was outstanding in the game against Hibs at Tynecastle when Haring had to play up front and they still couldn’t beat us?

Re the comparison with Souttar, I’d say Dunne is more of a Berra type defender whereas Souttar is more in the Levein mould, so not really like for like although they’re clearly both very good central defenders. 

Edited by Rudolf

9 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Still disagree. Souttar’s a more complete defender as he’s much better with the ball. Him and Berra or him and Dunne, or ideally all three, woild be our best defence when all fit. Souttar has to be there though as he’s much better at starting attacks than Berra and Dunne.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Still disagree. Souttar’s a more complete defender as he’s much better with the ball. Him and Berra or him and Dunne, or ideally all three, woild be our best defence when all fit. Souttar has to be there though as he’s much better at starting attacks than Berra and Dunne.

Agree. A back 3 of Berra Souttar and Dunne would be good but Dunne was not going to take the place of Berra or Souttar. 

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Dunne was definitely better than Souttar, no debate. Souttar is an excellent defender though. 

The no debate bit is just plain wrong! I can see why others would disagree but I think Souttar was slightly better when they played together. I think that was probably down to Souttar being a bit older and having a lot more first team experience. I do suspect Dunne will go on to become the better player in time.

Dunne has the whole captain thing about him. Souttar doesn't. 

Naismith should of been given the captaincy over Souttar. 

Edited by Top Corner

4 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Dunne was outstanding in the game against Hibs at Tynecastle when Haring had to play up front and they still couldn’t beat us?

Re the comparison with Souttar, I’d say Dunne is more of a Berra type defender whereas Souttar is more in the Levein mould, so not really like for like although they’re clearly both very good central defenders. 

I think maybe Dunne isn’t given the credit he deserves in respect of ability on the ball.

Maybe his combative, Berra style defending , makes people overlook his quality on the ball? He’s at Burnley for a reason as teams at that level look for quality in every aspect of players attributes.

The guy is comfy in possession, hits some nice cross field passes but never takes chances. This is where he’s a bit different from Souttar imo.

I like JS very much and I always enjoy a central defender driving out with the ball because it can throw the opposition but there’s times he’s erratic with his passing into the middle of the park.

Glad to have two quality defenders though.  ??

portobellojambo1

He's done a very good job for us and I'd be delighted if he did come back to see out the remainder of the season. However, if he does return to Burnley the only down side could be that they throw him in at the deep end now, given they are on the fringe of the relegation places. I still think he has a fair bit of learning to do and I'd hate to see his confidence get shattered if he is thrown into the 1st team now but Burnley are dragged further into the relegation fight and end up going down.

Edited by portobellojambo1

7 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I'd agree with that too. I'd say like berra, both are better defenders but souttar is more of a player. Lets be honest, berra is the iceberg that took down the titanic. But he's the lost one you want ping 60 yard balls or coming forward with the ball into space. Like dunne. All 3 are fantastic footballers though. Lucky to see them all play, cause dunne and souttar will go on to better things. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Dunne didn't give the ball away as much as Souttar. Honestly think he was better in possession than him.

11 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I think maybe Dunne isn’t given the credit he deserves in respect of ability on the ball.

Maybe his combative, Berra style defending , makes people overlook his quality on the ball? He’s at Burnley for a reason as teams at that level look for quality in every aspect of players attributes.

The guy is comfy in possession, hits some nice cross field passes but never takes chances. This is where he’s a bit different from Souttar imo.

I like JS very much and I always enjoy a central defender driving out with the ball because it can throw the opposition but there’s times he’s erratic with his passing into the middle of the park.

Not saying Dunne isn’t fairly comfortable on the ball, I just feel Souttar has that bit extra  bringing the ball out of defence and he’s tightened up on his brainfarts that used to be fairly common. 

Before, he would take chances, occasionally got caught, and gave us plenty heart in the mouth moments but he appears to have had that coached out of him and will now row Z it if needs must. One example of Souttar’s improvement was when Berra went off against Celtic, He took over the attacking the ball role and did very well whereas before he was more of a pure sweeper type. 

As as you say though, both great defenders and credit must be given to Levein and his team for bringing in the closest thing to Berra we could’ve hoped for when he was sidelined for so long. 

Edited by Rudolf

FarmerTweedy
12 hours ago, Top Corner said:

Dunne has the whole captain thing about him. Souttar doesn't. 

Naismith should of been given the captaincy over Souttar. 

I hadn't really seen Souttar as captain material before Berra got injured, but he stepped up to the role magnificently when asked. I've no idea what games you were watching to come to a different conclusion. 

12 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I was making this point the other day, I think it’s because he’s tall and gangly that it makes him look uncomfortable but in truth he’s two footed and could easily pick a pass. It just didn’t look as easy on the eye as Souttar but that’s more to do with physique rather than technique.

very good player for us, shame if he doesn’t come back.

Would be like having 2 Berras in the team, if he came back for the 2nd half of the season. Brilliant player for us.

Edited by cb1874

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Great player

Wonder why he left, must have been thinking that he would get limited game time once Soapy and Berra returned. To be honest we’d  have been better with him and Soapy and Berra as cover. Berra still looks off the pace my worry is hes past it. Craig obviously doesn’t think so with the new contact. 

7 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Wonder why he left, must have been thinking that he would get limited game time once Soapy and Berra returned. To be honest we’d  have been better with him and Soapy and Berra as cover. Berra still looks off the pace my worry is hes past it. Craig obviously doesn’t think so with the new contact. 

10/10

On the JKB drivelometer.

Kudos.

11 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Do me a favour and don't quote me in such drivel ever again. 

Berra is working his way back to his best and the only reason his form is noticed is because of the ridiculously high level of constancy he has shown. 

13 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

He left cause his loan ran out and he was recalled. The rest of your post probably explains why you didnt understand the first bit.

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

:bolt: