George Peat on BBC - Club urged SFA not to help Rangers in 2008

Shanks said no

10 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

My guess is that Level 5 and Jabba are behind why this is out now though. 

Indubitably. The question is why.

6 hours ago, The Merse said:

I'm not 100% sure why we asked for that game to be moved tbh - it's been common practice for a long time to play Thursday/Sunday in Europe.

London Hearts has the game being played on the Sunday that week.

6 hours ago, The Merse said:

I'm not 100% sure why we asked for that game to be moved tbh - it's been common practice for a long time to play Thursday/Sunday in Europe.

London Hearts has the game being played on the Sunday that week.

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indubitably. The question is why.

Siege mentality - rally the troops. Saw the same with Gerrard's comments first game. Saf used to do it. Everyone hates us, everything goes against us so let's circle the wagons and fight back. 

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

Siege mentality - rally the troops. Saw the same with Gerrard's comments first game. Saf used to do it. Everyone hates us, everything goes against us so let's circle the wagons and fight back. 

Maybe this is just the start. This could have been part of the Powerpoint presentation of injustices that Gerrard was indoctrinated with?

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Maybe this is just the start. This could have been part of the Powerpoint presentation of injustices that Gerrard was indoctrinated with?

Yes and then there was the 10-slide example of anti-rangers media coverage...eg Barry Ferguson once got 7 in the sun's ratings. 

5 hours ago, jambovambo said:

I’ve listened to Peat’s interview. I believe that was all set up so that Peat could finish the interview with what he said about Sevco and that season end. 

He was asked for his one regret. 

What he said was very contentious yet he needed no time to think about his reply, nor even choose his “one regret”. 

This is what Radio Clyde of all stations are saying right now! 

21 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Not read this elsewhere so giving it a mention

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45550817

Former Scottish FA president George Peat says a club chairman urged him "not to help Rangers in any way" amid a fixture backlog in 2008.

The Ibrox side were competing on three fronts near the end of season 2007-08, having already won the League Cup.

They lost the Uefa Cup final to Zenit St Petersburg and finished second to Celtic in the Scottish Premier League but won the Scottish Cup.

"The prominent club asked me not to and I refused," Peat told BBC Scotland.

Rangers played five games over 11 days at the end of the 2007-08 season, with the SPL responsible for the league fixture scheduling and the SFA having oversight of the Scottish Cup.

The Ibrox side had two league games in hand and the finale to the SPL campaign was delayed for top-half sides from 18 May to 22 May so all six teams finished on the same day.

After losing to Zenit in Manchester on 14 May, Rangers played rearranged league fixtures against Motherwell (17 May) and St Mirren (19 May) before losing against Aberdeen on 22 May as Celtic beat Dundee United to finish top of the table with a three-point lead.

Rangers then beat Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup final two days later.

When discussing his presidency from 2007-11, Peat was asked about what disappointments he had from his time with the SFA.

And he explained: "There were certain things that disappointed me. One in particular disappointed me.

"I remember when Rangers got to the final in Manchester. I got a phone call from a prominent chairman of a club requesting me not to help Rangers in any way.

"And it so happened that I had already had a meeting with Lex Gold at the SPL because what we were willing to do was to extend the season because of the fixture pile-up that Rangers had and I was most disappointed when I got back to the office to receive this call to ask me not to help them in any way.

"That really stuck in my throat."

619546464.jpg

:pleasing:

Craig Gordons Gloves

George Peat needs to stop being a shitebag and name the club rather than come out with ambiguous statements that allow for wild speculation that Celtic are a bunch of pricks :)

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

Cairneyhill Jambo
10 hours ago, The Merse said:

I would imagine most teams fly back straight after the game. Maybe that wasnt an option for Hearts for whatever reason. 

Is the question 'who won the league?' really of much interest most years? It bores me to death, I must say.

The media need to understand that for the majority of Scottish football fans, the subject of who is ahead between Celtic and Rangers at any point in time is not what motivates us to put our hard-earned cash into the game.

Hopefully, this season will be an exception. 

There is a cadre of individuals who hold directorships in clubs here who do not actually"support" the teams they are involved with. Their allegiance is elsewhere - usually with one or other of the Old Firm. It's one if the major reasons that Scottish football languishes in its present trough. Given George Peats "revelation" I would think it's pretty fair to speculate where his allegiance actually lies.

Glamorgan Jambo

I presume this is all related to the continuing saga of the 2011 UEFA licence where Der Hun got awarded the Champions League slot despite the evidence given in court at the Craig Whyte trial showing that it was widely known that RFC had an overdue tax bill and were therefore ineligible.

A bit of not subtle whataboutery in plain language.

6 minutes ago, farin said:

A Chairman calls the SFA to ask them not to bend the rules to accommodate 1 club, which they ultimately do anyway because the league was extended for the only time in its history to help them. Peats still unhappy though. ?

I wonder who really asked Peat to come away with this stuff on radio. The supposed "Airdrie" supporter at Level 5 perhaps. I wonder if this is yet another defection with more bad press on the horizon for Sevco. 

4 minutes ago, farin said:

Peat, an accountant, made his way through the SFA as a director of Airdrieoneans.  Despite his financial background, Airdrieoneans were liquidated in 2002 after a legendary period of mismanagement.  He was SFA treasurer and vice-president, and would have had to resign his position at the Association, but managed to cling-on after becoming a director of Stenhousemuir.

A year after Peat retired as SFA president, but when he was still at Stenhousemuir, his team were the only club to vote to allow Newco Rangers direct access to the Scottish Football League Championship.  Peat did not get his wish and Newco started life in the bottom tier of the SFL though. 

Yep, says it all.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Peat sounds like a right dick and the sort of guy who explains why the SFA is so shit.

Without backbone too

Cant guarantee in any way this is correct but during that season.

Rangers v. Celtic game was postponed as it was due to take place the weekend before Scotland v . Italy.  Scotland needed to win to qualify for Euro 2008.  Scotland lost. Not sure if every SPL game was cancelled.

Rangers had a league game postponed (v. Gretna) ahead of a key CL league game v  Lyon.  Lyon beat Rangers 3.0 and Rangers dropped in to EL.

NY OF game cancelled following tragic on field death of Motherwell player, Phil O'Donnell.  (Not sure if at request of professional mourners or worry that the other erse couldn't keep stoom)

May 10 Rangers play D.Utd after refusal from SPL to postpone game due to fixture congestion.

May 14 - Zenit St. Petersburg beat Rangers 2.0 in Uefa Cup Final / training session.

May 17; 19; 22 Rangers play remaining 3 league fixtures. Last date was meant to be 21 May, but was put back a day to ensure all top 6 games played at same time.

May 24 -Rangers beat QoS in Scottish Cup Final.  Request to delay by Rangers, I think even up to one week, dismissed by Gordon Smith/SFA plus QoS chairman David Rae.

That season Rangers had multiple replays, games in Europe plus potentially a home game cancelled due to Ibrix waterlogging (may have been another season).

In my view, only a potential  full calendar cancellation for the Scotland / Italy game and the Dundee Utd game ahead of the Eufa Final should have been changed and it was up to Rangers to prioritise their focus with the League and SFA ensuring the league finished on 21 May and Cup on 24 May.

Extenuating circumstances would only be a complete fuxture pile up across all teams due to bad weather, a horrific disaster or by some miracle a Scottish Cup finalist making the CL final, on the same day.

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, farin said:

Peat, an accountant, made his way through the SFA as a director of Airdrieoneans.  Despite his financial background, Airdrieoneans were liquidated in 2002 after a legendary period of mismanagement.  He was SFA treasurer and vice-president, and would have had to resign his position at the Association, but managed to cling-on after becoming a director of Stenhousemuir.

A year after Peat retired as SFA president, but when he was still at Stenhousemuir, his team were the only club to vote to allow Newco Rangers direct access to the Scottish Football League Championship.  Peat did not get his wish and Newco started life in the bottom tier of the SFL though. 

Even after Murray drove the final nail into Airdrie Peat still bent over so far for Rangers he could see the back of his own neck.

That is absolutely everything that is wrong with the game in this country in a nutshell.

Partisan old firm scum infesting every aspect of the game from youth football, to referees, to policing and, of course, the SFA and working, systematically and individually, to ensure nothing but the ongoing dominance of whichever of the bigoted twosome their idiotic preferences lie.

Incase any old firm sympathising Hearts fan DARE to defend them or indulge in whataboutery, just reflect on the fact that Police Scotland, despite being rammed full of some of the most unpleasant old-firm supporting plod imaginable, called for the old firm game to be banned due to the searing levels of violence surrounding it.

If it wasn't for Hearts, I'd have jacked it in a long time ago. The old firm and their filthy long reach is an absolute toxic poison to this country. 

Sawdust Caesar
7 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

NY OF game cancelled following tragic on field death of Motherwell player, Phil O'Donnell.  (Not sure if at request of professional mourners or worry that the other erse couldn't keep stoom)

Some Rangers supporters think Celtic got that game cancelled as they had some key players out injured, McGeady was one, maybe Maloney as well.

jack D and coke
10 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Even after Murray drove the final nail into Airdrie Peat still bent over so far for Rangers he could see the back of his own neck.

That is absolutely everything that is wrong with the game in this country in a nutshell.

Partisan old firm scum infesting every aspect of the game from youth football, to referees, to policing and, of course, the SFA and working, systematically and individually, to ensure nothing but the ongoing dominance of whichever of the bigoted twosome their idiotic preferences lie.

Incase any old firm sympathising Hearts fan DARE to defend them or indulge in whataboutery, just reflect on the fact that Police Scotland, despite being rammed full of some of the most unpleasant old-firm supporting plod imaginable, called for the old firm game to be banned due to the searing levels of violence surrounding it.

If it wasn't for Hearts, I'd have jacked it in a long time ago. The old firm and their filthy long reach is an absolute toxic poison to this country. 

Great post and exactly how I feel. 

19 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Absolutely spot on.

Was probably the celtic chairman. Glasgow Rangers should have been accomodated to ensure they won that UEFA Cup. I was always led to believe that the celtic and Rangers boardrooms  had a special relationship off the park.