17 years ago

ri Alban

I prefer to remember today more for the fact it's my eldest son's 28th birthday.

It was his 11th birthday when the New York attack happened. He thought his birthday was cursed/jinxed. Took alot of hard work from me and his mum to convince him otherwise.

Edited by John Findlay

One of those events in history that you remember where you were and what you were doing.

I had just finished work and got home, turned TV on and saw the smoke coming out of one of the towers and thought it was just a fire, then I saw the second plane hit, and I just sat there transfixed watching this tragedy unfold in front of me, live on TV.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of those events in history that you remember where you were and what you were doing.

I had just finished work and got home, turned TV on and saw the smoke coming out of one of the towers and thought it was just a fire, then I saw the second plane hit, and I just sat there transfixed watching this tragedy unfold in front of me, live on TV.

Yip, I was a contractor doing an early morning job at the old Asda site in Chesser Ave......then popped into my folks house on the way home to check on it as they were away on holiday.....just got in their house when the news broke on the first plane and I sat and watched the full story unfold.....horrible

I have since been to NY and visited the site, unbelievably sad

23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Same when Lady Di was murdered.

The strangest , most surreal day of my life. I was heading home from college when the news broke on the radio of the first tower being in flames. Info was so sketchy with some reports saying a plane hit and others saying it was an explosion? Got to my mates flat to find out what was going on and the 2nd plane hit whilst we were watching.

We both just looked at each other with mouths open. No words came out.

AlphonseCapone

I remember my French teacher telling us the twin towers had been attacked. I was 13 and had no idea what the Twin Towers were at that point. 

Governor Tarkin

I was working on a covert mission for a shadowy U.S. government agency in conjunction with Mossad to bring down some buildings and blame it on the A-rabs so we could make a land and oil grab in the Middle East. 

Crazy days, can't believe it was 17 years ago.

But seriously and in better taste, I remember getting up for a pish in the middle of the night and my stoner housemate was sitting sucking on the bong staring at the TV. This in itself was not unusual, but I couldn't believe what he was watching. We stayed up the rest of the night watching. I was living in Sydney at the time.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I forgot about that. I mind getting in from school seeing it, no one told us at school . I must have no long been in when they fell. I read that a few thousand people have died since due to cancer cause by the dust

AlphonseCapone
54 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

9/11 and Dunblane and the two most horrific events that I have lived through.

My God, the years go by so quickly.

I was only 8 at Dunblane and I can remember being at my uncles when it was on the news. I didn't completely understand but the reaction of adults around me was enough for it to forever stick. I just checked and it was Wednesday which used to be a half day in West Lothian before it changed to a Friday. Explains why I was where I was. 

I remember Princess Diana as well. Flashbulb memories they are called. Learnt about them in psychology. 

ToadKiller Dog

I was recovering from a operation, staying with my parents while doing so, so sat transfixed for most of the day, remember my mother coming in switching the TV over saying you need to take a break from that news watch somthing funny. 

I got away early from work when Dunblane happened, walked home not ashamed to say tears in my eyes all the way. 

Was in London for a conference when the London attacks happened, I was in my bed hungover so didn't make the journey I would have done around when the attacks happened, Russel Square was the destination station on the route. That day was an experience I won't forget. 

I was Scone Palace the day the Dunblane shooting took place, I was giving a talk on Heather Regeneration when someone came in and asked if anyone had children at Dunblane School, he asked again obviously very upset, thankfully nobody did, I listned to it being reported on the radio on the way home. 

9 11, I came in at dinner time and my wife said that someone had blown up the twin towers, I thought she meant the twin towers at the old Wembley stadium! I have to admit I wasn't aware of there being "twin towers" in New York, the pictures were pretty unbelievable and still are when I watch them, still the biggest televised atrocity I remember in my lifetime. 

Fitzroy Pointon
4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Same when Lady Di was murdered.

My 15th Birthday. Nothing on the telly, pissing of rain outside. My old man told me to jump in the car and we drove to McDonald's and watched the planes coming into Glasgow Airport. 

9/11 I was in work taking a phone call and the lady on the other end of the phone asked if I had heard about the Twin Towers. I told the other people in the work and the guy next to me genuinely thought the game was a bogey there and then. He was nearly crying :lol:.

Dunblane was a terrible day. I came home from school and my old man sent me down to the shop for milk and said "see there's been a school shooting" I'm thinking it's got to be somewhere mental that would happen and he said "Aye, Dunblane, that's no that far away". We weren't told about it in school so we were totally oblivious until we got home. 

Biggest televised atrocity in my lifetime the Vietnam war and the very first Ethiopian famine.

As bad as the attack on the two world trade centre buildings was. I personally was a little immune to it having been up against the IRA and having been in the Falklands War and being involved out in the Gulf with regard to the Iran v Iraq war in the 1980s. It was an horrific event and a complete tragic loss of life and I sincerely hope nothing like it occurs again but, alas that is wishful thinking on my part.

I was still living in Osoyoos, always get up early as I did then to get ready for a game of golf. Turned on CNN they were watching a plane for some reason, it was sort of confusing, the next thing the plane flew right into the building, that was a shock. I watched the coverage had breakfast headed out to the golf course, a full one minute walk, still all excited, and shocked asked the other guys what they thought about it, I was the only one who had seen the coverage.

Better call Saul

Was stuck working in a warehouse no mobile No radio just my pack lunch  stared at 9am finished at 9pm missed it all couldn't belive my eyes and ears of what had  happened. 

Can still envisage the moment we heard the first reports about it at work.    Went home early and watched the news all night.    Completely transfixed.     Voyeurism of course but understandable.     It was completely incomprehensible that a building of such a gigantic scale could collapse.    The events moved the goalposts regarding normal understanding of what can happen and that made it difficult to comprehend.     

Just been looking at Flight 93 that day, the passengers fought back against the hijackers,  they must have been terrified , brave passengers.

21 minutes ago, maroongoals said:

Just been looking at Flight 93 that day, the passengers fought back against the hijackers,  they must have been terrified , brave passengers.

They were already aware that planes had been deliberately flown into buildings and knew they themselves were hijacked and the flight crew killed.    It was fight (and probable death) or death.     Still brave but really the only course of action.    

Brighton Jambo

I was travelling by bus from Seville to Madrid.  My mate texting say all this crazy end of the world type stuff and me and my mate just thought he was being a nut job.  Then my mum, who never ever texts texted to say avoid the airport and we knew something serious was happening.  I watched a couple of the documentaries yesterday and it’s still very difficult watching.  

Brighton Jambo
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Footage, but more vividly, audio, of people falling from the Towers, is still grim to see/hear. 

Yeah totally agree, there was also a documentary called the falling man, that essentially covered those who jumped.  I have always found that the thing that messed most with my head.  The idea that you could go into the office for a normal day at work and a couple of hours later find yourself needing to jump to your death from 50 floors up.  Horrible 

8 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:
Image may contain: 4 people, including Barry Hutchinson, people smiling, sky

A quite new WTC and very young Damned just prior to taking CBGBs by storm.     2nd worst thing to happen to the WTC... Rat Scabies.

It was a Tuesday just like today. 

BBC1 joined the coverage just after the 2nd plane hit and that was me transfixed for the next few hours. 

Evil scum.

Know exactly where we were, what we were doing and what we saw in a bar in Spain the night after it happened.

Absolute shitbags.

I had been to see Shrek at Fountainbridge and was walking home through the Grassmarket when I saw an Evening News sandwich board that said WAR ON THE USA. I then saw a shop on Candlemaker Row was closed "because something has happened in the USA." I then went home and watched a black and white TV all evening and bought about seven newspapers the next day.

14 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I was working on a covert mission for a shadowy U.S. government agency in conjunction with Mossad to bring down some buildings and blame it on the A-rabs so we could make a land and oil grab in the Middle East. 

Crazy days, can't believe it was 17 years ago.

:lol:

well done one for keeping it under wraps all this time though 

I was working at Scottish Widows as it became a very busy day of people wanting to know how much it affected their assets on the market.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, Junta said:

We should let all the countries in the Middle East just go for it. Afterwards, just walk in and take the oil.

That is pretty much reality.

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Deserves a few more plus a couple of dugs IMO

Add in that new Steven Naismith one as well.