Why ?

3fingersreid

From the BBC news

Carcases of nearly 90 elephants have been found near a famous wildlife sanctuary in Botswana, conservationists say.

Elephants Without Borders, which is conducting an aerial survey, said the scale of poaching deaths is the largest seen in Africa. 

The spike coincides with Botswana's anti-poaching unit being disarmed.

Botswana has the world's largest elephant population, but poachers have been breaching its border.

I was going to post a couple of the pictures but the story is enough . Why I’m this day and age do people feel the need to kill for ivory , be it for ornamental or unbelievably medicinal purposes . Sad and angry doesn’t begin to describe it . 

4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

From the BBC news

Carcases of nearly 90 elephants have been found near a famous wildlife sanctuary in Botswana, conservationists say.

Elephants Without Borders, which is conducting an aerial survey, said the scale of poaching deaths is the largest seen in Africa. 

The spike coincides with Botswana's anti-poaching unit being disarmed.

Botswana has the world's largest elephant population, but poachers have been breaching its border.

I was going to post a couple of the pictures but the story is enough . Why I’m this day and age do people feel the need to kill for ivory , be it for ornamental or unbelievably medicinal purposes . Sad and angry doesn’t begin to describe it . 

The reason I hate most people. Fecking dirty inhuman c£) :t's. I hope they and their whole circle of friends and family receive the same fate. 

Being lucky enough to see these majestic creatures in the wild only compounds my utter disgust that people would kill them for money. 

I read that they can paint the tusks with a dye that renders them useless but obviously they need to tranquilise the animal first which is a massive undertaking with much expense.

If the world cared enough something would happen but it doesnt. It will when they are down to the last couple of dozen.  

Th outpouring of grief for an old pop or movie star that nobody gave a feck about for 30 odd years is where the human race sits nowadays. Not protecting nature from profiteers. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Rangers are resorting to tranquilising Rhinos and chainsawing their horns off in an attempt to dissuade poachers.

Difficult to do that with elephants as there are more of them and move in groups rather than being single like rhinos.

The only way to stop poaching is to give them more lucrative and easier ways of making money.

A global ban on ivory has been in force for a while but nations keep pulling out of it (including the feckin Yanks) and it's also just plain ignored.

In too many african nations, young people feel that either ocean piracy or animal poaching is the only way to make money. 

Until they have more options, this will continue.

And it's only going to get worse as China opens up more and people have serious wealth to buy whatever ****ed up stuff they want. Of course the elephants, rhinos, tigers and so on get the major headlines but one of the very bad things going on is the illegal killing and sale of pangolins. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

And it's only going to get worse as China opens up more and people have serious wealth to buy whatever ****ed up stuff they want. Of course the elephants, rhinos, tigers and so on get the major headlines but one of the very bad things going on is the illegal killing and sale of pangolins. 

Agreed. This is arseholism of the highest order.

44 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just had a quick look at the illegal trade on pangolins , it's unbelievable how we treat wildlife ?

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Just had a quick look at the illegal trade on pangolins , it's unbelievable how we treat wildlife ?

We are the most destructive species on this planet, by a long long way, if we are not killing the animals directly we're destroying their habitat, both amounts to the same thing at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Rangers are resorting to tranquilising Rhinos and chainsawing their horns off in an attempt to dissuade poachers.

Difficult to do that with elephants as there are more of them and move in groups rather than being single like rhinos.

The only way to stop poaching is to give them more lucrative and easier ways of making money.

A global ban on ivory has been in force for a while but nations keep pulling out of it (including the feckin Yanks) and it's also just plain ignored.

In too many african nations, young people feel that either ocean piracy or animal poaching is the only way to make money. 

Until they have more options, this will continue.

They should offer poacher hunting activities. I'd go. 

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We are the most destructive species on this planet, by a long long way, if we are not killing the animals directly we're destroying their habitat, both amounts to the same thing at the end of the day.

Of that there is no doubt sadly 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I'd never heard of a Pangolin till now, Wikipedia is a horrible read on their near extinction. 

I have always had a soft spot for elephants even as a kid going to Corstorphine Zoo, it was amazing to see something so large with the weapons, tusks, so formidable, that was so canny, patient, and tame.  I have watched many documentaries on them even in the wild they exhibit the same elements, although if riled are a sight to see, but their care of young and old is something we humans could well copy.  When something is so strong only man would conceive a method of being able to destroy them from distance, and all for a part of their magnificent bodies that are of no real proven significant use to us, other than material profit.