Michael Smith

Marooned Abroad

Marooned Abroad

While I agree with all the praise heaped on others, I thought MS  was immense yesterday. Didn’t put a foot wrong and had Sinclair in his back pocket. Very underrated player.....remember too his performance last season in the 4-0 game?

BackOfTheNet

Did well, he’s very much a full back and not a wing back. I trust him defensively in that position, I think gripes towards him last season were his lack of attacking ability when played in the wing back role, but under the current system we have enough attacking ability in different areas he’s not required as far up the pitch anymore. (Saying that if he scores like he did against Raith or Cowdenbeath I think we’d all be happy!)

I think he’s improved from the tail end of last year and looks solid and pretty decent going forward. Has had a few shots at goal already this season and his attacking play has it better. Thought he was excellent yesterday

Marooned Abroad
23 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

His clearance off the line from Griffiths was a match winner.

??

49 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

While I agree with all the praise heaped on others, I thought MS  was immense yesterday. Didn’t put a foot wrong and had Sinclair in his back pocket. Very underrated player.....remember too his performance last season in the 4-0 game?

He had a good game. Having said that they all were immense. 

I think Michael Smith is the most under rated player in our squad. Not a world beater, but an old school unspectacular right back. 

I like him. He was solid yesterday.

Can see he’s gained a bit of confidence from his two goals so far as well which whilst he was always a solid performer in my book, has given him a bit of a lift

I like Michael Smith. 

He had a great game last season in the 4-0 against Celtic , was reliable and solid as ever yesterday!  

Important player to have around! 

He might have cost us with a rash tackle near the end but recovered enough to foul the Celtic player. As others say he is more suited to playing RB in a back four. 

Seems to perform better against better teams when his main focus is on defending.

Done well against sinclair who i felt looked celtics biggest threat in the forst half.

He may also do a job in a back 3.

Just now, davemclaren said:

He might have cost us with a rash tackle near the end but recovered enough to foul the Celtic player. As others say he is more suited to playing RB in a back four. 

He done well to ensure he brought the boy down after missing the ball, a very intelligent foul

8 minutes ago, Elshin said:

He done well to ensure he brought the boy down after missing the ball, a very intelligent foul

Correct. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, blairdin said:

I think Michael Smith is the most under rated player in our squad. Not a world beater, but an old school unspectacular right back. 

I like him. He was solid yesterday.

That's how I see it. A proper full back and he was excellent yesterday. 

AlphonseCapone

Sure he had another shot yesterday that looked close but ended up going over the bar, not by much though. 

Thought MS was as solid as a rock. Equally impressed by the seamless transition of Hughes into the game after Berra was taken off after a difficult couple of games of late.

Marooned Abroad
5 minutes ago, Oh Lordy said:

Thought MS was as solid as a rock. Equally impressed by the seamless transition of Hughes into the game after Berra was taken off after a difficult couple of games of late.

?

fabienleclerq
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Sure he had another shot yesterday that looked close but ended up going over the bar, not by much though. 

Sure it was another left peg ping too

He's certainly a grafter. Smith and Mulraney very good game yesterday.

Edited by Hector Riva

He's very, very solid. I think he's the perfect defensive utility player, despite only being 5ft 11 (actually thought he was smaller, but google says otherwise), he puts in a competent performance at CB when called upon to do so. 

I'm quite intrigued to see how we handle Berra's injury. There are some cracking CB's on a free at the moment - James Collins, age 34 (ex west ham) for example, who we could possibly afford on a short term contract to plug the game and let him put himself in the shop window? Alternatively, letting Smith cover at CB and bringing back Randall on a short term deal until Godinho and Brandon are back to match fitness could also be a shout. 

IMO Michael Smith has earned his place at the club and then some. He's very much an unsung hero.

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, Elshin said:

Seems to perform better against better teams when his main focus is on defending.

Done well against sinclair who i felt looked celtics biggest threat in the forst half.

He may also do a job in a back 3.

Smith has the sort of attitude you want in any team. Works fantastically hard and gives as good as he's got. Ideal for these sort of games where you need to defend well first

1 minute ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Has been excellent (in the main) from December last year to now. Long may that continue.

:spoton:

Was just about to post this. Seemed to really kick on once he had shown Levein he could be trusted in a few different positions.

He also responded well to being replaced by Randall when his form dipped.

Smith is much more suited to playing mg RB than RWB.....and yesterday’s performance confirmed that.

I like how CL has built a squad that is flexible enough to change formations almost seamlessly.

Happy so say he's proved me wrong, never going to be his biggest fan but he's more than capable enough. Nice Well played Michael. 

Bazzas right boot

He's alway good. 

Gives 100% and has a football brain. 

11 of his tyoes in each position would be a very good spl team. 

7/10 every week. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

rudi must stay
19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Smith is much more suited to playing mg RB than RWB.....and yesterday’s performance confirmed that.

I like how CL has built a squad that is flexible enough to change formations almost seamlessly.

Smith would play anywhere for the team. Great attitude, would tie him down to a new deal

18 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

He's alway good. 

Gives 100% and has a football brain. 

11 of his tyoes in each position would be a very good spl team. 

7/10 every week. 

He's a Gary Neville type footballer. There are players with better feet, but he'll give any winger a tough match

Edited by rudi must stay

Plays like his life depends on it.  Love him.

Back 3 of Smith, Souttar and Berra.  Not many in this league can beat that.

Alex Kintner

Anybody with half a footballing brain could see he was a consistently good performer in a poor team last season and he also turned in some too performances in big matches. Didn’t stop some of the bawheids demanding we get rid though :facepalm:

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

He did 

just after we scored

not easy playing against a diving prick like Sinclair and he was at it again yesterday 

took a good yellow for the team 

5 hours ago, Elshin said:

Said this at the time Tierney was through having rode the first tackle 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Smith would play anywhere for the team. Great attitude, would tie him down to a new deal

He's a Gary Neville type footballer. There are players with better feet, but he'll give any winger a tough match

Reminds me of a slower frail

looks like he should be delivering takeaways, but can actually play football and has a fair bit of match intelligence.

1 hour ago, Frank1874 said:

Anybody with half a footballing brain could see he was a consistently good performer in a poor team last season and he also turned in some too performances in big matches. Didn’t stop some of the bawheids demanding we get rid though :facepalm:

Correct . Consistent player , never let's us down . Great winning attitude , gets forward more often than some think .

The criticism on here was/is unbelievable . Some now qualifying their earlier criticism by saying he has improved ! No he has been excellent since day one 

Adam_the_legend
8 hours ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Agree, he was excellent, unsung hero from yesterday. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It looked in from where I was sitting but alas it just didn't have enough dip but Gordon was flailing at it and six inches lower it was in. A solid performer that keeps going all day whether defending or looking to get forward on the overlap. 

TyphoonJambo
8 hours ago, Marooned Abroad said:

??

Came pretty close to a great goal as well

Good player to have

when we were on the bones of our arses with injuries last season Smith filled in and done a decent job

It should have been ten
23 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Correct . Consistent player , never let's us down . Great winning attitude , gets forward more often than some think .

The criticism on here was/is unbelievable . Some now qualifying their earlier criticism by saying he has improved ! No he has been excellent since day one 

This! He’s been very consistent in the way he goes about his business and I could never understand the criticism. Cracking player, brilliant attitude and engine. Thought he kept Sinclair quieter than usual yesterday and took a nice one for the team with that intelligent foul :thumbsup:

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Has been a fantastic signing ??