Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboj

• John Findlay

• Blackford Hearts

• Heartsofgold

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Bubblebeard
7 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

And ban toe-bashes as well in case someone gets a ruptured testicle by taking one full in the crown jewels.

?

Captain Bubblebeard
5 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I agree. We have seen all sorts of face an head protection for players over the years, why not a skull cap designed for heading?

Could be completely wrong here but is there not certain things that headgear can actually heighten the danger. Something along the lines of your brain being a bit like a balloon “floating” (not literally!) inside your skull. The damage is done when there is a sharp movement of the skull and the brain collided with it as a result. I’m sure I read somewhere that there was evidence that headgear in e.g. boxing just then makes the target a little bigger and doesn’t actually stop the above reaction within the head and so, in actual fact, can actually be detrimental? Perhaps the same applies to headering the ball?

That could be utterly wrong so, in hindsight, not really sure why I bothered typing it! 

gerryjambo41
2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Playing football can result in serious damage to your knees in later life too. 

Lets just ban ban the sport, save people the opportunity to decide if they want to take the risk or not.

I’m currently waiting on a new knee due to my years playing football , arthritis is murder especially because I had to give fives at only 48 ? .

As a centre half I done a lot of headering the ball but the only times I got injured were clashes of heads . 

1 minute ago, Captain Bubblebeard said:

Could be completely wrong here but is there not certain things that headgear can actually heighten the danger. Something along the lines of your brain being a bit like a balloon “floating” (not literally!) inside your skull. The damage is done when there is a sharp movement of the skull and the brain collided with it as a result. I’m sure I read somewhere that there was evidence that headgear in e.g. boxing just then makes the target a little bigger and doesn’t actually stop the above reaction within the head and so, in actual fact, can actually be detrimental? Perhaps the same applies to headering the ball?

That could be utterly wrong so, in hindsight, not really sure why I bothered typing it! 

You are correct, the damage is done by the brain sloshing about inside the skull. Padding would protect the skull but not the brain inside it, same problem as American Football helmets not preventing brain damage.

Phil Dunphy
5 minutes ago, gerryjambo41 said:

I’m currently waiting on a new knee due to my years playing football , arthritis is murder especially because I had to give fives at only 48 ? .

As a centre half I done a lot of headering the ball but the only times I got injured were clashes of heads . 

So you’re now feeling ill effects of playing football?

We must act now to take kicking out of the game. 

gerryjambo41
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

So you’re now feeling ill effects of playing football?

We must act now to take kicking out of the game. 

If they could provide decent new knees I’d be back playing fives ASAP . I absolutely loved playing , I was rotten but keen as ?

Edited by gerryjambo41
Fat fingers

3 hours ago, sairyinthat said:

Doctor in Germany treated a British woman Olympian for cancer by firstly pulling all her teeth out,wasn't successful she died.He was highly qualified also.Do you think that guy should be listened to?

What has that got to do with anything? 

a safe pair of sells

This thread brought back a scary memory of the MITRE MOULD MASTER! How much damage did that horrible thing do to your brain? (And anywhere else it came into contact with)

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Pretty much.

If you don't wanna be punched in the face, don't take up boxing or MMA.

You've obviously not been out in some of the same places I have! 

sairyinthat
42 minutes ago, jamboj said:

What has that got to do with anything? 

Don't believe everything doctors have to say.

• 7 months later...
been here before
18 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Not an injury from heading a ball but from a collision of heads. How could the Swiss player Schaer be assessed as safe to continue when he had been unconscious, and swallowed his tongue? Do the concussion rules not apply across Europe? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47684741

Pretty much physically impossible to do that. Really only ever added for dramatic effect.

The last thing you should be doing is firing your fingers into someones mouth if their tounge has slipped back. Looks good in the papers or on youtube though.

Edited by been here before

Blackford Hearts
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What if the balloon burst and they got their feeling hurt? 

Blackford Hearts
17 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I don't think they should be allowed to kick the ball either , it's so damaging

That’s a great idea, but unlike Smithee you’ve been lazy and not come up with an alternative 

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

What if the balloon burst and they got their feeling hurt? 

It's ok, they're wearing protective bras. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's ok, they're wearing protective bras. 

If their balloons have burst it means the protective bras have failed. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Blackford Hearts
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

If their balloons have burst it means the protective bras have failed. 

I think the protective bra’s are there to support their feelings not the balloons? 

Smithee can hopefully confirm?   

Unknown user

Serious mode activated. 

We live in strange times, why must everything be safe?

There's a risk of something bad happening in every single thing we do, from breathing to cleaning your teeth - I actually hurt myself brushing my teeth last week, I got distracted half way through and battered my top lip banjo string, ruptured the ****er!)

In fact, the worst injury I've had in recent years was when I suffered a shoulder sublocution from a big yawny stretch.

Is there so much danger from heading in football that something needs to be done?

We live for longer than ever and there are more of us then ever before, which suggests to me that the balance between danger and sense in general is probably largely about right.

If there's evidence to suggest that a lot of people are affected (a lot more than it sounds like) then I'd say action needs to be taken, but the world shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Blackford Hearts said:

I think the protective bra’s are there to support their feelings not the balloons? 

Smithee can hopefully confirm?   

I was inferring the balloons were actually boobies. 

Hence the bra failure. 

Pure banter, me. 

Blackford Hearts
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I was inferring the balloons were actually boobies. 

Hence the bra failure. 

Pure banter, me. 

???

Blackford Hearts
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Serious mode activated. 

We live in strange times, why must everything be safe?

There's a risk of something bad happening in every single thing we do, from breathing to cleaning your teeth - I actually hurt myself brushing my teeth last week, I got distracted half way through and battered my top lip banjo string, ruptured the ****er!)

In fact, the worst injury I've had in recent years was when I suffered a shoulder sublocution from a big yawny stretch.

Is there so much danger from heading in football that something needs to be done?

We live for longer than ever and there are more of us then ever before, which suggests to me that the balance between danger and sense in general is probably largely about right.

If there's evidence to suggest that a lot of people are affected (a lot more than it sounds like) then I'd say action needs to be taken, but the world shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool. 

I agree with you that in general, the heading of a ball is much safer,  whilst teeth brushing will now be on high alert. There will be situations like the one I posted earlier where (in my opinion) the player should be taken off and assessed for concussion, assuming he was actually knocked out and it wasn’t sensationalist reporting (it was BBC though). That wasn’t heading a ball it was heading another player. Risk assessment is important and the ball is way softer than it was in my youth so will be naturally minimised. Possibly a move away from younger kids heading the ball is sensible? 

As you say we can take safety so far that when there is a risk people don’t know what to do! 

20 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I don't think they should be allowed to kick the ball either , it's so damaging

What Joe public or Hearts?  ::troll::

to add I'm off today just in case I get run over crossing the road. :sarcasm:

Edited by Marvin
adding a sarcy comment.

kirkierobroy

Walking football becomes the only permitted form.

And all footballers start dying at 35 owing to lack of vigorous exercise...