**Loan Watch Season 2018/19**

West Jambo

8 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Would have been an option to have when we were lacking attacking ideas while Naismith was out.

Consistently shown himself to not be good enough for Hearts.

Not you specifically, Flimsy, but I often get the impression that those calling for Zanatta to be given a chance would be the first on here slaughtering him after another poor performance in maroon.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• wavydavy

• Funtime Jambo

• tartofmidlothian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Darren said:

When was the last time he played for the Hearts  first team?

51 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Zanatta has been voted Championship player of the month for December.

We are bound to release him now at the end of his contract.

25 minutes ago, Darren said:

Not you specifically, Flimsy, but I often get the impression that those calling for Zanatta to be given a chance would be the first on here slaughtering him after another poor performance in maroon.

There has been a number of players over the years such as Zanatta who have played the odd game and done ok only to be dropped completely out of the squad for the next game and then maybe appear later on the bench never to be brought on.

If a player is to make an impression then surely they need to have a run of games to try and prove themselves ? It's difficult enough for a seasoned pro to come in for one game and impress let alone a young lad.

I remember Zanatta playing away to Ross Co and playing well in a wide left position and providing an assist for Dauda I think it was to score and the next game he was out and he wasn't injured.

The same thing has happened this season with Mulraney, Amankwa and to a lesser extent Morrison.

It takes players a while to develop an understanding so although I was never really that impressed with us signing the likes of MUlraney and Amankwa I have a  certain amount of sympathy for them in that they have never really been given a chance of playing in a run of games.

CL persists with his strategy of often playing with no recognised wide players particularly against the bigger teams away from home and I am sure he knows that a large number of the fans don't like this but it doesn't stop him doing it therefore he is not swayed by what the fans think so why not give some of these guys a run of games to show what they can do rather than a fleeting game now and again.

Obviously that doesn't apply to Amankwa now as he is off but Mulraney is an example. The guy is the one player we have in the squad with genuine pace and he hardly ever kicks a ball for us, why? 

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There has been a number of players over the years such as Zanatta who have played the odd game and done ok only to be dropped completely out of the squad for the next game and then maybe appear later on the bench never to be brought on.

If a player is to make an impression then surely they need to have a run of games to try and prove themselves ? It's difficult enough for a seasoned pro to come in for one game and impress let alone a young lad.

I remember Zanatta playing away to Ross Co and playing well in a wide left position and providing an assist for Dauda I think it was to score and the next game he was out and he wasn't injured.

The same thing has happened this season with Mulraney, Amankwa and to a lesser extent Morrison.

It takes players a while to develop an understanding so although I was never really that impressed with us signing the likes of MUlraney and Amankwa I have a  certain amount of sympathy for them in that they have never really been given a chance of playing in a run of games.

CL persists with his strategy of often playing with no recognised wide players particularly against the bigger teams away from home and I am sure he knows that a large number of the fans don't like this but it doesn't stop him doing it therefore he is not swayed by what the fans think so why not give some of these guys a run of games to show what they can do rather than a fleeting game now and again.

Obviously that doesn't apply to Amankwa now as he is off but Mulraney is an example. The guy is the one player we have in the squad with genuine pace and he hardly ever kicks a ball for us, why? 

I like Mulraney and agree about his pace but he had a wee spell when he started or came on a few times and seemed to lose confidence and get frustrated . Morrison then came on to a game and he slipped out of the picture. I agree about him though - it would be nice to give him three games starting in a row and see whether he settles. Of all the players at the Arbroath away friendly at the start of the season he looked the most exciting as a prospect

52 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

When was the last time he played for the Hearts  first team?

Zanatta came on as sub and scored in 3-0 win at Hamilton last January the midweek league game after we beat Hibs in Cup. 

He had been recalled from his loan and went to winter break in Spain. But then was put straight back on loan. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2019 at 10:41, wavydavy said:

There is a school of thought that you pick the best players for a game and that often means you can't wait forever for a youth to "grow up".  If we lose games because we we are playing youths the critics would be in full voice.  Which is right?

38 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There is a school of thought that you pick the best players for a game and that often means you can't wait forever for a youth to "grow up".  If we lose games because we we are playing youths the critics would be in full voice.  Which is right?

Souttar is an example. He was played in front of better players. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Souttar is an example. He was played in front of better players. 

Yes but maybe not the best example as he already had a fair bit of experience before he came here.

The question I asked, however, is whether we should persevere with younger players with a higher risk of losing games or should we pick the best and most experienced players to win games.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Bringing in a younger player who has not featured much for one game and expecting them to perform in my opinion is not ideal.

If the newspaper reports are correct then it looks as if Burns could be playing tonight so if that is the case is it right to bring him in for his first start against Celtic?

Surely it would have made more sense to have played the guy against St Mirren and give him a run out to see how he performed than possibly throwing him in tonight.

I realise of course that this is just the media saying he will play and it may not happen but if he does will it be at the expense of Mulraney with a central midfielder such as Lee or Djoum deployed out on the wing.

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yes but maybe not the best example as he already had a fair bit of experience before he came here.

The question I asked, however, is whether we should persevere with younger players with a higher risk of losing games or should we pick the best and most experienced players to win games.

Souttar is a good example. He had barely played at centre half for Dundee United. You just forget because he has improved greatly. 

Clare seems to be seen in the same way. 

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Bringing in a younger player who has not featured much for one game and expecting them to perform in my opinion is not ideal.

If the newspaper reports are correct then it looks as if Burns could be playing tonight so if that is the case is it right to bring him in for his first start against Celtic?

Surely it would have made more sense to have played the guy against St Mirren and give him a run out to see how he performed than possibly throwing him in tonight.

I realise of course that this is just the media saying he will play and it may not happen but if he does will it be at the expense of Mulraney with a central midfielder such as Lee or Djoum deployed out on the wing.

I agree but we are short with Smith, Mitchell and Garruccio all out but I believe we gave Harry his league debut against Celtic last season and that didn't turn out too badly!

But that what was not what I asked you.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree but we are short with Smith, Mitchell and Garruccio all out but I believe we gave Harry his league debut against Celtic last season and that didn't turn out too badly!

But that what was not what I asked you.

You are suggesting that there is a greater likelihood of losing games if a younger player is played for more than one game at a time rather than an experienced player.

Who lost us the game at Motherwell the other week?

My answer to that is that we are still not winning a great number of games by persevering with the same more experienced players. I don't see the logic in bringing in a young player for the odd game and then leaving them out for the next game or not even being on the bench as seems to happen.

On Saturday Keena was on the bench fresh from scoring a hat trick for the reserves and yet CL opts to bring on Mclean and leave Keena on the bench. Hardly sending the right message to a promising young striker.

It could well be that Burns is thrown in tonight if press reports are to be believed and my point was if this happens then maybe we could have given hima run out agaisnt St Mirren rather than Celtic.

Edited by wavydavy

42 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Burns played against both Celtic and Rangers for Livingston this season.

Beat Rangers 1-0 and drew 0-0 with Celtic. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Burns played against both Celtic and Rangers for Livingston this season.

Beat Rangers 1-0 and drew 0-0 with Celtic. 

Yes but he's playing with us now not Livingston and how well does he know them. Should he not have been given a try out against St Mirren?

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes but he's playing with us now not Livingston and how well does he know them. Should he not have been given a try out against St Mirren?

Maybe

But people are talking as if he hasn't played any games. 

Probably didn't pay much attention to his loan spell at Livingston.

He is a novice though. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe

But people are talking as if he hasn't played any games. 

Probably didn't pay much attention to his loan spell at Livingston.

He is a novice though. 

My comments have been about younger players in general earleir in this thread and their lack of getting a few games rather than thrown in for one and then disappear again. Burns was just an example where we could have given hima try last week-end rather than possibly giving him a harder test tonight assuming eh plays of course

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

My comments have been about younger players in general earleir in this thread and their lack of getting a few games rather than thrown in for one and then disappear again. Burns was just an example where we could have given hima try last week-end rather than possibly giving him a harder test tonight assuming eh plays of course

Burns got a few games for Livingston 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Burns got a few games for Livingston 

Keena got a fair number of games at Dunfermline and has come on as a sub twice since returning to us despite scoring a hat trick in his last game for the reserves.

Burns to the best of my knowledge hasn't featured once for us since being sent back from Livingston.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

You are suggesting that there is a greater likelihood of losing games if a younger player is played for more than one game at a time rather than an experienced player.

Who lost us the game at Motherwell the other week?

My answer to that is that we are still not winning a great number of games by persevering with the same more experienced players. I don't see the logic in bringing in a young player for the odd game and then leaving them out for the next game or not even being on the bench as seems to happen.

On Saturday Keena was on the bench fresh from scoring a hat trick for the reserves and yet CL opts to bring on Mclean and leave Keena on the bench. Hardly sending the right message to a promising young striker.

It could well be that Burns is thrown in tonight if press reports are to be believed and my point was if this happens then maybe we could have given hima run out agaisnt St Mirren rather than Celtic.

I'm actually suggesting you're going to criticise the manager if he persists with young players and criticise him if he doesn't.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

Edited by JamboAl

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm actually suggesting you're going to criticise the manager if he persists with young players and criticise him if he doesn't.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

As you know Al I am not exactly CL's biggest fan but I would not criticise him for playing a younger player in a run of games even if he made a costly mistake.

I struggle to understand his thinking in the way he plays or doesn;t play a number of the younger guys

I think Mulraney has improved quite a bit since he has had more games recently. The other day against St Mirren I just couldn't see the logic in bringing on McLean when we had Keena on the bench fresh from scoring a hat trick.

Obviously CL will know if he maybe had a little knock or niggle but if that were the case why have him on the bench?

19 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Keena got a fair number of games at Dunfermline and has come on as a sub twice since returning to us despite scoring a hat trick in his last game for the reserves.

Burns to the best of my knowledge hasn't featured once for us since being sent back from Livingston.

Burns is just back from injury he got at Livingston. Groin injury. But played a reserve game the other week. 

So not like he is out of contention. 

18 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Apologies if I'm wrong.

He seems a bit confused. Probably just reacting to results. 

Levein will play young players. Sean Clare is bearing fruit. A risk taken to play him right away. As was John Souttar. As has Callumn Morrison this season. So 2 main examples this season. But caution too. 

Edited by Mikey1874

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Burns is just back from injury he got at Livingston. Groin injury. But played a reserve game the other week. 

So not like he is out of contention. 

As it turned out he was not even in the squad so not sure if that was CL just winding up the media or what. I didn't know he was or had been injured never seen it mentioned anywhere.

Similarly I also saw that Mulraney is injured.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He seems a bit confused. Probably just reacting to results. 

Levein will play young players. Sean Clare is bearing fruit. A risk taken to play him right away. As was John Souttar. As has Callumn Morrison this season. So 2 main examples this season. But caution too. 

I am not confused. It depends what you mean by young players I suppose. I don't class guys who are about 22 or so as that young whereas those still in their teens are in my opinion.

I think with Clare CL was almost forced to play him because of our injury situation and Souttar was someone he already knew a lot about and he had played a lot of first team football. Morrison has had a fair number of games but in my humble opinion he is one of the least promising prospects that have had first team games.

I know CL plays young players  but then can play one week and then disappear from the squad the next or be on the bench and not get a game.

My previous example being against St Mirren Keena on the bench after scoring a hat trick and ignored in favour of Mclean!!!!

• 2 months later...