Should Motherwell Move On Now As A Club?

MackaysCentreSpot

MackaysCentreSpot

Motherwell are to play Villareal in a friendly in memory of Phil O'Donnell.

Is it not about time they moved on?

The game against Villareal makes more sense, considering what happened at both clubs, than a game against sellik did.

PresidentRomanov

Yes it is.

Although it's probably more to do with his Celtic connections that they're booting the arse out of it.

The game against Villareal makes more sense, considering what happened at both clubs, than a game against sellik did.

What happened to Villereal?

Ryan Gosling
Yes it is.

Although it's probably more to do with his Celtic connections that they're booting the arse out of it.

Or maybe it's because it's for the dedication of the stand in his memory?

Why is it an issue, they haven't played a memorial game yet.

Ray Winstone

I was thinking that too - perhaps confusing them with Sevilla.

this game is to mark the official renaming of their main stand...

so perhaps it's right that they use it as one last hurrah to PO'D ?

I was thinking that too - perhaps confusing them with Sevilla.

Apologies, i was thinking about Antonio Puerta at Sevilla.

Although i found this Wiki list and it's suprising how many deaths have happened either during games or during training.

I think Motherwell should be commended for their efforts. How much ??? has his family lost out on with his premature death? A professional footballer who seemed destined to become a coach or manager. Over the years how much could he potentially have earned, it would almost certainly be in the high six figures or over the ?1m mark.

I think most footballer's wives are housewives, although i'm sure there will be exceptions. Motherwell are doing the right thing by them in my opinion, by earning as much ??? for them whilst it is fresh in people's minds

Jimmy McNulty
I think Motherwell should be commended for their efforts. How much ??? has his family lost out on with his premature death? A professional footballer who seemed destined to become a coach or manager. Over the years how much could he potentially have earned, it would almost certainly be in the high six figures or over the ?1m mark.

I think most footballer's wives are housewives, although i'm sure there will be exceptions. Motherwell are doing the right thing by them in my opinion, by earning as much ??? for them whilst it is fresh in people's minds

Fair play to them. Though once the new season starts, I hope its behind them.

H J Simpson
Apologies, i was thinking about Antonio Puerta at Sevilla.

Although i found this Wiki list and it's suprising how many deaths have happened either during games or during training.

Shouldn't make fun of the dead but there is a couple of corkers:

1995 - Mistar, cause of death 'Trampled to death by a herd of pigs that stormed the pitch. His team were warming up for a forthcoming game'

1999 - Biro, cause of death 'Died after a crossbar fell on his head during a warmup'

2006 - Ferramosca & Neri, cause of death 'Drowned during training while retrieving footballs from an artificial lake at the club's training ground'

PresidentRomanov

If I died, my family would be looked after by the insurance policies/pension I pay into every month, to ensure that would be the case.

I don't see why a footballer earning possibly even more than I do, not doing the same.

In fact, I would be offended at the thought of my family accepting charity after I'd gone.

doctor jambo

Hate to mention it but Phil left ?1.5 million to his family in his will.

you would need to ask yourself what is the purpose of raising more money here?

So that his family can live in ludicrous comfort for eternity as opposed to just luxury?

Raise the money and give it to charideeeeee

If I died, my family would be looked after by the insurance policies/pension I pay into every month, to ensure that would be the case.

I don't see why a footballer earning possibly even more than I do, not doing the same.

In fact, I would be offended at the thought of my family accepting charity after I'd gone.

That's fair enough mate, your entitled to your views on it. It isn't unheard of though when someone dies, that their ex-colleague's do some sort of fund raising or whip round to help out the remaining family with expenses incurred.

Hate to mention it but Phil left ?1.5 million to his family in his will.

you would need to ask yourself what is the purpose of raising more money here?

So that his family can live in ludicrous comfort for eternity as opposed to just luxury?

Raise the money and give it to charideeeeee

Well if that's the case then they're greedy barstewards!!!!! :P

I think I have heard Mrs O'Donnell saying they would like to raise funds for the charity and raise awareness, so this is possibly the benefector of these matches?

The People's Chimp
Celtic turned the last into a Burns/ title party.

This will be the end of it after this.

Yeah the sellick takeover of the o'donnel tribute really stuck in the craw.

Dirk Diggler

I'd possibly agree that Motherwell FC should now move on.

Celtic FC should be given more grieving time though.

It obviously hit them hardest.

Obviously.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Yeah the sellick takeover of the o'donnel tribute really stuck in the craw.

And yet, was anyone really surprised by it?

The Old Tolbooth

They have had this game arranged for ages now, and I was speaking to a Motherwell fan about the farce at Parkhead who said that Celtic hijacked the whole occasion and they were very unhappy about it, but expected it, stating typical Celtic!

He told me that most Motherwell fans didn't even look toward the Parkhead farce as the main tribute to Phil in the first place, and that the game against Villareal was the main tribute because it is being played at Fir Park.

After this there needs to be closure on it though as it cant go on forever.

Seymour M Hersh
The last one was all Celtic and was more of a Larsson tribute than to PO'D.

Tommy Burns was it not?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Tommy Burns was it not?

Burns, Larsson, 9-in-a-row, winning the League this season, oh and a wee bit for PO'D as well.

heartgarfunkel

To be honest, WTF does it have to do with us? If HMFC lost one of their own in tragic circumstances, I'm sure it would be GTF time to any other club's fans and their opinions.

We don't know how we'd react. They won a trophy with him, and he was the prodigal son when he came back. What happened was brutal and anything they do for it should be respected. It's up to them how long they carry it on.

His family don't get to just move on.

To be honest, WTF does it have to do with us? If HMFC lost one of their own in tragic circumstances, I'm sure it would be GTF time to any other club's fans and their opinions.

Exactly.Well put.Stupid thread to start anyway

Commander Harris

that's up to them really.

Pants Shaton

Absolutely. It is probably universally true, but definitely true of this topic, that what the JKB population think is of no consequence whatever.

Miller Jambo 60
Fair play to them. Though once the new season starts, I hope its behind them.

Its a shame that the well fans cant support their team.

Mind you the racists that follow that shat.

As Celtic are part of Phil's extended family they'll have to get any friendly, set for that day, cancelled. Or is that just league games?

MackaysCentreSpot

Well fans are vermin.

Hearts donate the money raised from sales of the special commerative programme produced in memory of P'OD at the Hearts v Motherwell game to his memorial fund.

And the next time we go to Fir Park those vermin call us junky barstewards etc. Shows them for what they are.

Let them all rot.

I think that the reaction to what happened with O'Donnell is indicative of the grief culture in this country.

At first, I can't remember anyone ever offering anything other than heartfelt condolences - as always, though, the media felt the need to rip the arse out of it, which led to people just starting to get sick of hearing about it.

It's a shame, because a lot of people do seem to have lost sight of the fact that a 35 year old with young kids dying is, in anyone's terms, a tragedy.

Well fans are vermin.

Hearts donate the money raised from sales of the special commerative programme produced in memory of P'OD at the Hearts v Motherwell game to his memorial fund.

And the next time we go to Fir Park those vermin call us junky barstewards etc. Shows them for what they are.

Let them all rot.

What did you expect them to do? Give us all flowers and hugs and let us watch their Care Bears videos with them?

Football rivalry will always be around, and it's quite right that the reaction to O'Donnell dying didn't result in everyone getting all lovey dovey and singing Kum Bay A around the campfire.

Miller Jambo 60
I think that the reaction to what happened with O'Donnell is indicative of the grief culture in this country.

At first, I can't remember anyone ever offering anything other than heartfelt condolences - as always, though, the media felt the need to rip the arse out of it, which led to people just starting to get sick of hearing about it.

It's a shame, because a lot of people do seem to have lost sight of the fact that a 35 year old with young kids dying is, in anyone's terms, a tragedy.

What did you expect them to do? Give us all flowers and hugs and let us watch their Care Bears videos with them?

Football rivalry will always be around, and it's quite right that the reaction to O'Donnell dying didn't result in everyone getting all lovey dovey and singing Kum Bay A around the campfire.

The well fans are wankres end off

Seymour M Hersh

Difficult to argue with that H.:o

• 2 weeks later...

Just read that, chucked by e-mail, poor little murderwell.

Guess the eternal victims celtic will step up to take over the nameing of the stand then?

Captain Lithuania

As harsh as it sounds, I think they should move on. I think this is the last thing they will do for him.

Just read that, chucked by e-mail, poor little murderwell.

Guess the eternal victims celtic will step up to take over the nameing of the stand then?[/QUOTE]

Maybe Liverpool will step up, cant have celtic hogging all the victim limelight.

Dont think Villareal are playing them anymore,and i do think it was just a final pay day for his family which is no bad thing

Archived