Worrying Times

Crete

With Europe getting extremely hot temperatures this summer I think it's about time we all take global warming seriously for all our sakes .

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Crete said:

With Europe getting extremely hot temperatures this summer I think it's about time we all take global warming seriously for all our sakes .

A lot of people do but some governments don't give a shiny shite about it. 

Our temperatures seem to be getting higher each year, natural problems such as forest fires, wild fires, in the summer, floods in the spring seem to be getting worse, global warming seems a possible culprit, and certainly we all assist with the garbage we create that has a detrimental affect on the environment when they dispose of it.  Quite often though some expert in the subject comes along and suggests that their studies of thousands of years ago indicate similar changes, and there were no plastics, no fuel burning cars, and all the other things we have. Its that old lady nature she has her ways and the environment and physical shape of the world goes through changes.

Just to make your sleep even more difficult, astronomers here in B.C who have a massive system that can pick up sounds in space have picked up new sounds that are consistent in their pattern and could be exploding stars or related to black hole activity, or.... could even be being sent out by aliens. If more beings like humans are screwing with the atmosphere look out.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Our temperatures seem to be getting higher each year, natural problems such as forest fires, wild fires, in the summer, floods in the spring seem to be getting worse, global warming seems a possible culprit, and certainly we all assist with the garbage we create that has a detrimental affect on the environment when they dispose of it.  Quite often though some expert in the subject comes along and suggests that their studies of thousands of years ago indicate similar changes, and there were no plastics, no fuel burning cars, and all the other things we have. Its that old lady nature she has her ways and the environment and physical shape of the world goes through changes.

Just to make your sleep even more difficult, astronomers here in B.C who have a massive system that can pick up sounds in space have picked up new sounds that are consistent in their pattern and could be exploding stars or related to black hole activity, or.... could even be being sent out by aliens. If more beings like humans are screwing with the atmosphere look out.

Where did you read about the sounds? I love all that stuff. 

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was on the local TV news CTV Okanagan.  The site which has a massive telescope, is just outside the town of Penticton B.C. I believe there is a telescope as well, but the sound detecting system was shown and it is an amazing size of a grid, and apparently can receive sounds from distances I cannot perceive.

19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Try HTTP:globalnews.ca/bc/videos.

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Remember not that long ago some astronomers said they had detected an object close to a distant planet somewhere in our galaxy that could only be built by intelligent beings as nothing else could really explain it. I haven't heard much about that recently and what they now think it could be!

13 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

We're doomed, doomed I say!! :sob:

If you think this thread forecasts doom, it is probably better you don't follow the Trump thread.:sterb119:

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Biggest factor is the mass consumption of meat. You'll be told the truth just around the same time as your wellies start to melt on the pavement.

I don't give a shit I don't have kids.

Edited by Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Seymour M Hersh

The climate has always changed and will continue to do so. Back in Roman times they were growing grapes around Newcastle (must've been for the Brown Ale!). Where we should focus our efforts imo, is cleaning up the oceans and rivers, re forestation actual tangible and achievable objectives. 

On 8/4/2018 at 13:00, Crete said:

If the next 40 summers are like this but gradually hotter then yes, but considering this is the hottest in decades I think we are ok.  Last year was shite for example.  Has 365 days been a turning point in this myth?

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

If the next 40 summers are like this but gradually hotter then yes, but considering this is the hottest in decades I think we are ok.  Last year was shite for example.  Has 365 days been a turning point in this myth?

Myth? You think we haven't accelerated this. 

There is the terraced remnants of a vineyard on the south side of Arthur's Seat.

If people are really worried about global warming the best thing they can do is stop watching television.

Just now, ri Alban said:

Myth? You think we haven't accelerated this. 

Please, not this pish again.  Although you have used the word "accelerated" which I don't (does anyone?) dispute.  With or without humans the planet changes climatically both extreme and non extreme.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

50 years of science and easily viewable empirical evidence.

Must be a hoax likesay.

And all scientists agree? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight then.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

And all scientists agree? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight then.

Aye, well all the real ones. Not the fake Trump voting far right kind. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Aye, well all the real ones. Not the fake Trump voting far right kind. 

Oh STFU! Please.  You remind me of a wee guy who posts on here who sounded link he is a member of Steps from down under.  

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Oh STFU! Please.  You remind me of a wee guy who posts on here who sounded link he is a member of Steps from down under.  

It's me. So chill out. 

Anyway, what makes you think they're wrong. Yes the earth has cycles, but using what evidence they have, this is too early for natural climate change. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's me. So chill out. 

Anyway, what makes you think they're wrong. Yes the earth has cycles, but using what evidence they have, this is too early for natural climate change. 

No disputing we are not accelerating it (polar ice caps etc),  the evidence is irrefutable.  What we are seeing this summer however is not climate change, it is jist a ****ing great summer.  365 days ago it was proper pish.  Do you see the argument?

Edited by i8hibsh

17 minutes ago, Cade said:

50 years of science and easily viewable empirical evidence.

Must be a hoax likesay.

50 years. Think about that for a moment. Pretty miniscule sample in the big picture isn't it. 

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No disputing we are not accelerating it (polar ice caps etc),  the evidence is irrefutable.  What we are seeing his summer however is not climate change, it is jist a ****ing great summer.  365 days ago it was proper pish.  Do you see the argument?

Yes.

I didn't read the argument tho'. 

I wouldn't say no to another wee week or two of some hot weather. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Yes.

I didn't read the argument tho'. 

I wouldn't say no to another wee week or two of some hot weather. 

It seems that everytime we get a scorching day someone spouts out "oh it is global warming" and that is my argument.  No it is not, it is just a hot day.  Using their argumetn it would get increasingly hot every summer and that just is not the case.

I don't even think we disagree here my man ha

2 hours ago, Erik said:

Awesome winter with lots of snow.

Awesome summer with lots of sun.

Braw year so far.

This is where I am.  Well-defined seasons, great.

There have been rapid (decades or even less) changes in the climate for thousands of years, what’s unusual - the Medieval Warm Period and Little-Ice-Age notwithstanding - is how stable the climate has been for the last 8000 years.

Who knows if this, apparent, change is anthropogenic?

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It seems that everytime we get a scorching day someone spouts out "oh it is global warming" and that is my argument.  No it is not, it is just a hot day.  Using their argumetn it would get increasingly hot every summer and that just is not the case.

I don't even think we disagree here my man ha

No we don't disagree. I do think we're not helping tho'. I'm more upset with plastic killing all the animals. 

4 hours ago, Erik said:

Awesome winter with lots of snow.

Awesome summer with lots of sun.

Braw year so far.

Lol.  Very true.

All those stories the old school tell of long hot summers and proper snowy winters 50 years ago must’ve been the start of global warming, not the planets natural weather cycle.  

On 04/08/2018 at 16:50, bobsharp said:

It was on the local TV news CTV Okanagan.  The site which has a massive telescope, is just outside the town of Penticton B.C. I believe there is a telescope as well, but the sound detecting system was shown and it is an amazing size of a grid, and apparently can receive sounds from distances I cannot perceive.

Ive actually visited that radio telsocope as a kid ! I have family who live in Oliver . They took us out there when we visited them . 

Edited by auldy19
Spelling

11 minutes ago, auldy19 said:

Ive actually visited that radio telsocope as a kid ! I have family who live in Oliver . They took us out there when we visited them . 

Yes it was on the south side of Penticton, Oliver being the next town, south about a thirty minute drive then came Osoyoos where I lived for thirteen years, which was about a fifteen minute drive from Oliver. Played golf with a few Oliver guys at both  Osoyoos and Oliver golf courses.

Edited by bobsharp

1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

Yes it was on the south side of Penticton, Oliver being the next town, south about a twenty minute drive then came Osoyoos where I lived for thirteen years, which was about a fifteen minute dive fro Oliver. Played golf with a few Oliver guys at both  Osoyoos and Oliver golf courses.

My auntie was a regular on the golf course and probably still is if she able , haha . 

Lovely part of Canada . I absolutely loved my time over there ! 

On 04/08/2018 at 13:00, Crete said:

The Beast from the East says you’re talking pish. ?

On 04/08/2018 at 15:20, bobsharp said:

If it is Aliens Bob, atleast we can sleep easy knowing that the Yanks will just shoot them anyway. 

I reckon the noise was really Hibs bubble bursting in all honesty. 

???

Thunderstruck

Weather vs Climate.

Weather deals with the immediate changes in the atmosphere over hours, days and even weeks. Climate refers to decades long changes to weather patterns.

The Beast from the East and the hot summer are examples of weather. 

Weather can be affected by solar activity (the 11 year cycle), volcanic activity and phenomena such as El Niño.

Is the absence of El Niño a contributor to an unusually extreme range of weather in 2018?

On 04/08/2018 at 13:00, Crete said:

Unfortunately  as this thread proves no one does.

There is so much that can effect our existence though.

Yellowstone is due .

Gulf stream .

The plastic pollution.

Greed seems to govern .

Read the other day about polish imports of our plastic waste and the impact of the waste mafia.

We are as they say doomed.

I've got kids and it's shameful our attitudes to their future.

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, jake said:

Unfortunately  as this thread proves no one does.

There is so much that can effect our existence though.

Yellowstone is due .

Gulf stream .

The plastic pollution.

Greed seems to govern .

Read the other day about polish imports of our plastic waste and the impact of the waste mafia.

We are as they say doomed.

I've got kids and it's shameful our attitudes to their future.

I totally agree man. What are we supposed to do though? I actually don’t think there’s anything we can do. It’s a runaway train and we aren’t even trying to apply brakes as we run out of track. 

I think our only hope is getting to mars or something and establishing a colony. Seriously we’ve shagged this place and trying to stop it is pointless. Either that or there needs to be some huge war or catastrophic events to wipe billions out and we start again with the knowledge we have now. 

Who knows how long before the tipping point. 

12 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

If it is Aliens Bob, atleast we can sleep easy knowing that the Yanks will just shoot them anyway. 

I reckon the noise was really Hibs bubble bursting in all honesty. 

???

:robbo:

20 hours ago, FWJ said:

Who knows if this, apparent, change is anthropogenic?

Climate change scientists?

Obviously, they aren't infallible but when the overwhelming majority of people that have spent their entire adult life studying the topic are all saying roughly the same thing we would be stupid to ignore them.

Thunderstruck
12 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Climate change scientists?

Obviously, they aren't infallible but when the overwhelming majority of people that have spent their entire adult life studying the topic are all saying roughly the same thing we would be stupid to ignore them.

The is no doubt that climate is changing - it always has and always will. Our current level of understanding (working hypothesis) is that man-made CO2 is accelerating the change. 

There should always be room for that view to be challenged but the casting of those that doubt the claims as heretics and deniers points to a branch of science that has evolved from the open-to-criticism development of working hypotheses to an inflexible and almost religious creed. That never works out well.