The Stranglers

Locky

A band long before my time, but what a ****ing band.

Always familiar with Peaches and Golden Brown, but a lot of their stuff has been coming up on my Spotify and I can't get enough.

One of my favourite bands from my youth, a class act really with some amazing songs, saw the original line up quite a few times, stunning live. 

14 minutes ago, Locky said:

Always familiar with Peaches and Golden Brown, but a lot of their stuff has been coming up on my Spotify and I can't get enough.

Should be a good thread Locky :thumbsup: 

Brilliant band.

Got me thinking about my favourite song is, "Duchess" I think, short, sharp, catchy but plenty enough rocky/punky to set apart. 

Robbo-Jambo
16 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Got me thinking about my favourite song is, "Duchess" I think, short, sharp, catchy but plenty enough rocky/punky to set apart.

Duchess was a brilliant song. Their best single IMO.

4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Duchess was a brilliant song. Their best single IMO.

Its also one of Manic Street Preachers' best. :ninja:

Even the Manics acknowledged it!

Fitzroy Pointon

Straighten Out and Rok it to the Moon are particular favourites of mine. Loved the Stranglers when I was working my way through a punk phase in my early teens. I remember making a mix tape for a lassie at school and she remarked how much she loved the two Stranglers tunes. 

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its also one of Manic Street Preachers' best. :ninja:

Even the Manics acknowledged it!

If you tolerate this, then the Rodneys will be next?

Not really one of my favourites, but I like some of their earlier stuff.  Grip, No More Heroes and their cover of Walk on By.

Seen them twice at the Barrowlands, first was with a different lead singer not Cornwell.

Always remember half way through he announce we were the best crowd in England so far. Got pelters and all sorts thrown at him.

Fair play, apologised, carried on and even jumped into the crowd later on, and even made it back out :laugh:

Toxteth O'Grady
27 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Not really one of my favourites, but I like some of their earlier stuff.  Grip, No More Heroes and their cover of Walk on By.

My all time favourite cover version

12 minutes ago, Rally200 said:

Seen them twice at the Barrowlands, first was with a different lead singer not Cornwell.

Always remember half way through he announce we were the best crowd in England so far. Got pelters and all sorts thrown at him.

Fair play, apologised, carried on and even jumped into the crowd later on, and even made it back out :laugh:

I was at that gig, LOUD were supporting, JJ walked off stage with his head in his hands! 

Was that the same night when someone in the crowd chucked a pint at the stage and it hit JJ? He asked why the person who threw the drink wouldn't own up, saying they should be ashamed as he thought Glasgow was meant to be the hardest city in Europe then jumped into the crowd the find the guy that didn't it!!!! 

maroondevo52

I'm sure Gary McCormack bassist with Wattie's Exploited jumped onto the stage when they were playing at the Playhouse many moons ago.

1 hour ago, maroondevo52 said:

I'm sure Gary McCormack bassist with Wattie's Exploited jumped onto the stage when they were playing at the Playhouse many moons ago.

That is a brave thing to do with JJ on the stage.

maroondevo52
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is a brave thing to do with JJ on the stage.

JJ was ok with it, well according to Gary.

12 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

JJ was ok with it, well according to Gary.

I've heard of stories of people jumping on the stage and causing a bit of bother before coming off second best.  You don't mess with a black belt in Karate!

SwindonJambo

I saw them in Gloucester a few months before Hugh Cornwell left for good. Thought they were excellent, though heavily reliant on their early material. I think  No more heroes is belter of a tune.

Saw them 18 months later supporting Simple Minds at Milton Keynes Bowl (is it even used for concerts any more?) with a new lead singer. It just wasn’t the same.

I’ve seen them live three times now. A fantastic band. Duchess is one of the best songs of all time. 

N Lincs Jambo

1st saw them at The Playhouse in 1980. Next saw them Sheffield 2010 and have seen them loads of times since, last time being March this year in Lincoln. Have to say Baz Warne (imo) is a far better Strangler than Hugh Cornwell. Brings humour to their gigs and can play.

straighten out and Go buddy go still my favourite songs ?

Saw them in Feb. 78 supported by the Skids (Secret Gig and I was hoping it would be the pistols). Some unbelievable tunes.

On 04/08/2018 at 11:45, Locky said:

My former drinking partner used to do a brilliant rendition of Peaches at karaoke.

1 hour ago, buzz said:

This e.p. Is one of the best records I own.

ECBF7257-629D-4000-B304-8E6B552891DC.jpeg

Straighten out is on the No More Heroes reissue CD as a bonus track, and the others were album tracks on Rattus and No More Heroes (it doesn't say those are live or remixes so I'm assuming the album versions).

A great regret I never saw them when Hugh was still the frontman. The early stuff is excellent Hanging Around and Five Minutes are classics. 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Straighten out is on the No More Heroes reissue CD as a bonus track, and the others were album tracks on Rattus and No More Heroes (it doesn't say those are live or remixes so I'm assuming the album versions).

This is the information about the tracks on the back of the sleeve.

418A7AF8-4765-40EB-ACA5-DBDF3AD459AC.png

5 minutes ago, buzz said:

This is the information about the tracks on the back of the sleeve.

418A7AF8-4765-40EB-ACA5-DBDF3AD459AC.png

Cheers.

The 5 CD Old Testament set is worth getting for a lot of the b-sides and bonus tracks, but there are numerous compilations with b-sides tagged on.

• 4 years later...
On 04/08/2018 at 12:04, Dawnrazor said:

Classic. 

Skin Deep too, sheer magic. 

Brick Tamland

Loved the Stranglers from the beginning and one of my favourite bands of all time.  Put on a great live show and saw them many times in concert and met them backstage after a gig at the Playhouse.
The cover of Walk on by is outstanding as is Duchess, Sometimes, Hanging Around, Nice ‘n’ Sleazy, Who wants the world…

Great band. 

N Lincs Jambo

Really sad news. Loved The Stranglers since 1977. Knew he was in poor health but still sad to hear this. Dave Greenfield passed away in 2020 so just JJ and Hugh Cornwell of the original lineup still with us. RIP Jet

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 04/08/2018 at 13:05, Meathook said:

One of my favorite cover versions ever

The long solo is fantastic 

Good call

Percival King
9 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

RIP Jet

Great band with great musicians 

Long list of fantastic tracks

One of my favourite bands

Ditto. First saw them at the Playhouse in something like 1986, seen them many times since and always superb. But wish the radio would play something other than Golden Brown. Sad news about Jet Black but 84's a good age.

Sure I got Walk on By on white/beige 7" vinyl free with their Black and White album, will be up the loft.

Great band.

46 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Ditto. First saw them at the Playhouse in something like 1986, seen them many times since and always superb. But wish the radio would play something other than Golden Brown. Sad news about Jet Black but 84's a good age.

I saw them in '85 I think, Xmal Deutschland were supporting.

One of my first ever gigs. Apollo, Glasgow in 1978 I think. We ran a mini bus from the high school.  I never fully bought into the punk movement but The Stranglers were musically head and shoulders above most of that. RIP Jet Black.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I last saw them at T, it was in the big tent sometime in the early 2000s and they were fantastic. Best gig of the day I remember thinking at the time! 

Does anyone have the Black and White album in limited edition black and white vinyl ?   I did have it but I stupidly gave it to my brother in law years ago. I regret that a lot.

Great band and can't think of a bad song. Some absolutely brilliant tunes  - nice n sleazy, always the sun, golden brown, Duchess, peaches, No more heroes, walk on by(tremendous cover version), 5 minutes, something better change, strange little girl etc. Wish I'd seen them live.