Selkirk FC close to the end

letsalldothebeattie

I was down at Hawick on Wednesday for the League Cup match (my laddie plays for Blackburn). Must have been only about 50/60 there. Such a shame given the grandstand and facility they have.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• letsalldothebeattie

• Footballfirst

• The Old Tolbooth

• Fxxx the SPFL

Baird, King and Michael

Selkirk's problems are not hard to work out. Like a number of clubs...ourselves included in the past...they spent far more than they could afford on players. It's that simple really. Last season, and every other season, the likes of Hawick and Gala lived within their means. Even if that meant struggling at the wrong end of the table.  Selkirk, after a number of years down the bottom,  finished 5th last year, got to a cup final and were applauded by people for showing ambition, turning the club round etc as if it was some kind of footballing miracle. In reality they were living in a debt bubble that was always going to pop.  They were paying, (or to be more accurate not paying) players huge sums of money for a club that regularly had less than 50 paying punters at home games. Selkirk have been a ticking time bomb for years. Anybody with half a brain looking in could see it. When are some football people going to learn that you simply cannot pay out money you don't have and cross your fingers and hope that a sugar daddy will arrive and dig you out a hole of your own making? 

kirkierobroy

Kind of shows up the odd conundrum given the volatility in Scottish non-league the noo. Junior and formerly Junior clubs have the history and the support, but often terrible facilities (Lithgae Rose and the like obviously excepted). The teams in the Lowland League often have no support but do have the minimum facilities, in better repair, specified by the SFA.

loveofthegame
13 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Selkirk's problems are not hard to work out. Like a number of clubs...ourselves included in the past...they spent far more than they could afford on players. It's that simple really. Last season, and every other season, the likes of Hawick and Gala lived within their means. Even if that meant struggling at the wrong end of the table.  Selkirk, after a number of years down the bottom,  finished 5th last year, got to a cup final and were applauded by people for showing ambition, turning the club round etc as if it was some kind of footballing miracle. In reality they were living in a debt bubble that was always going to pop.  They were paying, (or to be more accurate not paying) players huge sums of money for a club that regularly had less than 50 paying punters at home games. Selkirk have been a ticking time bomb for years. Anybody with half a brain looking in could see it. When are some football people going to learn that you simply cannot pay out money you don't have and cross your fingers and hope that a sugar daddy will arrive and dig you out a hole of your own making? 

This. I believe they didn’t pay wages at times last year (sounds familiar)- sounds like a club badly mismanaged. It’s football, it happens, but strange pipe dream for a club like Selkirk to chase something bigger. They are the dictionary definition of an amateur, part time club. 

I’d suggest the lowland league will be fairly  unrecognisable in a few years, with a lot of the smaller borders, uni and eastern teams replaced by the Junior sides. The 1 up 1 down thing should change too, although probably like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

My mate's a Whitehill welfare fan and he's pretty worried about them. Apparently don't have many players and was joking about me playing centre half for them. 

I think there will be more, once all the lowland teams find their level. The ex-junior teams will overtake most of the old senior teams, IMO. 

letsalldothebeattie
18 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Exactly this and you can pretty much pinpoint when it started and that was when they brought in O’Connor on what was apparently £600 per week. Now biggest question is where were they getting that money from? Considering an average gate of 50 people at £6 a head is £300. 

Baird, King and Michael
1 hour ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I agree totally. Gala do have a terrific set up and it’s maybe something that those at Selkirk should’ve looked at especially when it came to joining the Lowland league. As said when push comes to shove they will end up left behind when it comes to the juniors moving in and moving up. 

I volunteer at Gala and  they have taken an entirely different approach to the rest of the Borders Senior Clubs. In 2013 the Fairydean were one again in serious financial difficulties...unpaid VAT bills, money unaccounted for etc. This had been a semi-regular occurrence over the years since the club had failed to get into the leagues. A new committee came in with a 5 year and a 10 year plan. The 5 year plan was to start by  merging the town's two biggest teams to form  a new, unified club, join the Lowland League and set about building a proper community club. As recently as 2007, in an area dominated by rugby, the town did not even have a junior football set up for Primary school kids to play.  Five years in the club is debt free, has 18 teams (including Ladies, Walking, Disability and a youth and junior pathway), over 300 registered players and 100 volunteers. The club are the only Borders Lowland team still to train locally, have just signed a partnership arrangement with Coerver Coaching and for the first time are entering an Under 20's Development team into the league. The player budget for the Gala first team has remained low during this time, (hence bottom half finishes in the league) as debt was cleared and infrastructure was developed. The club hopes to be able to produce future talent of its own through its pathway whilst the community side of things means more and more people are getting involved and supporting the club. We hope to be able to have a better team on the park in future seasons but we will do it sustainably rather than chase the impossible dream. 

1 minute ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

I volunteer at Gala and  they have taken an entirely different approach to the rest of the Borders Senior Clubs. In 2013 the Fairydean were one again in serious financial difficulties...unpaid VAT bills, money unaccounted for etc. This had been a semi-regular occurrence over the years since the club had failed to get into the leagues. A new committee came in with a 5 year and a 10 year plan. The 5 year plan was to start by  merging the town's two biggest teams to form  a new, unified club, join the Lowland League and set about building a proper community club. As recently as 2007, in an area dominated by rugby, the town did not even have a junior football set up for Primary school kids to play.  Five years in the club is debt free, has 18 teams (including Ladies, Walking, Disability and a youth and junior pathway), over 300 registered players and 100 volunteers. The club are the only Borders Lowland team still to train locally, have just signed a partnership arrangement with Coerver Coaching and for the first time are entering an Under 20's Development team into the league. The player budget for the Gala first team has remained low during this time, (hence bottom half finishes in the league) as debt was cleared and infrastructure was developed. The club hopes to be able to produce future talent of its own through its pathway whilst the community side of things means more and more people are getting involved and supporting the club. We hope to be able to have a better team on the park in future seasons but we will do it sustainably rather than chase the impossible dream. 

Great to hear and long may that sustainable route continue! ???

letsalldothebeattie
4 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

I’ve said previously on this thread I like the way Gala are going about things doing everything the right way. It’s the way I would’ve thought and maybe should’ve seen Selkirk go down as well. Their is absolutely no link between the club and the rest of the town. The rugby club at least go into the primary and high schools and take PE classes or do after school training with the kids but you get none of that with the football club. In all honesty the guys running Selkirk football seem to have no interest whatsoever in the community. 

letsalldothebeattie

Just seen this from local reporter David Knox. Looks like Lowland could be giving Selkirk time to gather a team together & some more finance as well through sponsorships 

02525EA1-CE4B-47D8-8013-A89CE167908B.png

Football was never going to really take off in Borders.  As JLV said rugby dominated school games.

however Gala Fairydean could and should have been let into leagues a number of year ago.

Travel to Borders was beyond central belt teams.  GF were a well managed team, Bobby Kirk was there at one time.

There are more highland teams now, only QOS and Berwick Rangers from south. There are now 3 amateur leagues in Borders and I believe football is available at some schools.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

I didn't want to be as harsh as that as I hate seeing clubs go under, but it's bang on the money. 

sandyseymour
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I sincerely hope that Selkirk don't go under, but if they are unable to fulfil their fixtures then they will have to go into abeyance for at least the rest of this season. and at best reform with a new committee and join the EoS at whatever the lowest tier is in 2019/20.

Given it is very early in the season I'd imagine that Selkirk's results would be expunged for this season and the Lowland League would continue with 15 teams.  Such a scenario would then leave the option open for the LL for either no relegation or to relegate one team and promote two from the EOS/SOL play-offs.  I think the latter option would be the better one as the pyramid is currently shaped more like an hour-glass with pinch points at the top and bottom of the LL.  The sooner we get to a position where there is much more open promotion and relegation possibilities, then the sooner that clubs will find their right levels. Otherwise there is a risk of some ambitious clubs with decent resources being thwarted because of one up/one down constraints.

I reckon Arniston Rangers may also be in trouble given their first 2 results...nearly all their team left at the end of last season including their manager because they couldn't make up their mind whether to leave the Juniors ...until too late. But I gather they've got plenty of dosh through the sale of their ground...wonder what'll happen to the dosh if they fold?

2 hours ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

I think Sean Mckirdy and some ex Selkirk players have signed for gala this season?

letsalldothebeattie
6 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I think Sean Mckirdy and some ex Selkirk players have signed for gala this season?

6 of last seasons regular XI have left and joined Gala including both ex Jambos Dale Baxter & Sean McKirdy 

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, graham said:

Great to hear and long may that sustainable route continue! ???

When you go along and actually see what Gala are doing now, it's an incredible effort by everyone involved, the sheer size and scale of the operation is jaw dropping, and the amount of unpaid work put in by volunteers is second to none, they really have turned themselves around big time and are being run by trustworthy people with the club at heart. 

6 of last seasons regular XI have left and joined Gala including both ex Jambos Dale Baxter & Sean McKirdy 

Cheers I thought there were a few that had gone 

4 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

When you go along and actually see what Gala are doing now, it's an incredible effort by everyone involved, the sheer size and scale of the operation is jaw dropping, and the amount of unpaid work put in by volunteers is second to none, they really have turned themselves around big time and are being run by trustworthy people with the club at heart. 

Brilliant reading that John and just shows what hard work and people pulling together can achieve ?

Its a real shame this is happening, clubs like Selkirk provide an important safety net for late bloomers. More than that they help bring together communities, Rugby may be the prevalent sport in the borders but thats not to say everybody in the borders likes Rugby.

I wonder if there is anything Hearts could do to help, a friendly or something might raise money to help service the debts and build a relationship with a club that could be handy.

On 02/08/2018 at 23:53, Hungry hippo said:

Would be fascinated to know how much their coats are. Surprised they are struggling to survive if they have stripped back the player costs that much as their other expenses shouldn't be great even with little backing.

Not wearing those daft Stone Islands are they?

8 hours ago, jambosdad said:

There are more highland teams now, only QOS and Berwick Rangers from south.

Annan Athletic and Stranraer too. Not to mention Gretna is the Lowland League :thumbsup:

Fxxx the SPFL

The schools in the Borders are all rugby orientated not that it's doing much good I remember when the laddie came home from Gala academy one afternoon and said that the PE teacher ex gala rugby player half told him to change his Hearts top because it carried alcoholic Strongbow advertising and yet two other lads had Scotland rugby tops on with either whyte and mckay or grouse  on theirs the usual double standards

heartsfc_fan
9 hours ago, sandyseymour said:

I reckon Arniston Rangers may also be in trouble given their first 2 results...nearly all their team left at the end of last season including their manager because they couldn't make up their mind whether to leave the Juniors ...until too late. But I gather they've got plenty of dosh through the sale of their ground...wonder what'll happen to the dosh if they fold?

Didn't realise this.

Live a stone's throw away from the pitches aswell.

I volunteer at Gala and  they have taken an entirely different approach to the rest of the Borders Senior Clubs. In 2013 the Fairydean were one again in serious financial difficulties...unpaid VAT bills, money unaccounted for etc. This had been a semi-regular occurrence over the years since the club had failed to get into the leagues. A new committee came in with a 5 year and a 10 year plan. The 5 year plan was to start by  merging the town's two biggest teams to form  a new, unified club, join the Lowland League and set about building a proper community club. As recently as 2007, in an area dominated by rugby, the town did not even have a junior football set up for Primary school kids to play.  Five years in the club is debt free, has 18 teams (including Ladies, Walking, Disability and a youth and junior pathway), over 300 registered players and 100 volunteers. The club are the only Borders Lowland team still to train locally, have just signed a partnership arrangement with Coerver Coaching and for the first time are entering an Under 20's Development team into the league. The player budget for the Gala first team has remained low during this time, (hence bottom half finishes in the league) as debt was cleared and infrastructure was developed. The club hopes to be able to produce future talent of its own through its pathway whilst the community side of things means more and more people are getting involved and supporting the club. We hope to be able to have a better team on the park in future seasons but we will do it sustainably rather than chase the impossible dream

I played at Gala Fairydean  for 4 years and was there when we got out voted by the Inverness clubs in 1994. It is a fantastic set up, and sounds like is still well run , as it was back then too. Great to read this.

letsalldothebeattie

Looks like things might be slowly improving for Selkirk, they held an open training session on Monday night to try and get more players into the club and it seems to have worked as they managed to go ahead with the Lowland League home fixture against Civil Service Strollers last night, ultimately losing 5-0. They have since said they will be holding 2 further open training sessions on Tuesday 14th & Thursday 16th August at Yarrow Park to get more players in. Good to see things are starting to look up and they should be able to continue on in the lowland league.

letsalldothebeattie
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Lost 5 nil last night

Scores are getting lower but at least they are able to keep going just now

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Scores are getting lower but at least they are able to keep going just now

Yeah keeping going main thing just now , hopefully local community get right behind them going forward ! They need more local players in my opinion instead of players being based around Edinburgh and training up there etc

On 03/08/2018 at 16:14, sandyseymour said:

Has the Arniston ground been sold?

I saw the nonsense about it needing 750,000 spent on it so they needed to move to the soon to be sold off Council playground and pitches at Birkenside.

On 8/3/2018 at 23:52, letsalldothebeattie said:

Wasn't Sean McKirdy very highly rated with us a few years ago?

letsalldothebeattie
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yeah keeping going main thing just now , hopefully local community get right behind them going forward ! They need more local players in my opinion instead of players being based around Edinburgh and training up there etc

I think that's what they are looking to go back to now

5 minutes ago, jamb-oz said:

He was but seemed to fall out of favour for whatever reason about the September when we came back up never played again after that if I recall

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, jamb-oz said:

Was it him that came on in the 10-0 game.

Started the next game, but got released at the season end.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Coco said:

Has the Arniston ground been sold?

I saw the nonsense about it needing 750,000 spent on it so they needed to move to the soon to be sold off Council playground and pitches at Birkenside.

Last I heard was that there was a presentation for the local community in Birkenside and what ARFC propossed was all "ifs" "ands" or "maybes"

Local community arent happy about it as they are going to lose a popular playing area and the increase in traffic in which is already a congested area could pose issues. 

No idea where they get the £750k needing spent on the current park. When the local youth football club proposed an affiliation, the ARFC committee should have embraced it and formed a proper community club rather than taking advantage of what the yout football club and their volunteers could offer. 

Sorry to hear about Selkirk - hopefully the local community will rally round and they will pull through.

The Old Tolbooth
On 8/4/2018 at 03:06, ycj said:

I played at Gala Fairydean  for 4 years and was there when we got out voted by the Inverness clubs in 1994. It is a fantastic set up, and sounds like is still well run , as it was back then too. Great to read this.

I was on the committee at the Dean when that happened as well, I remember being in the club rooms which were absolutely rammed with people all expecting good news about gaining league entry, and we were stunned when it went against us, and when we found out that clubs like Hearts, Hibs, and Berwick all voted against the Dean, it was even more gutting. 

Roll on a few years though, and I think the decision to let Ross Cty and ICT into the league was justified by what they've went on to achieve, I mean can you imagine Gala Fairydean playing in the top flight of Scottish football, and also winning silverware along the way? I reckon we'd have been the whipping boys for a few years. 

4 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Looks like things might be slowly improving for Selkirk, they held an open training session on Monday night to try and get more players into the club and it seems to have worked as they managed to go ahead with the Lowland League home fixture against Civil Service Strollers last night, ultimately losing 5-0. They have since said they will be holding 2 further open training sessions on Tuesday 14th & Thursday 16th August at Yarrow Park to get more players in. Good to see things are starting to look up and they should be able to continue on in the lowland league.

That is good news mate, fingers crossed for you all at Selkirk. 

12 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

I was on the committee at the Dean when that happened as well, I remember being in the club rooms which were absolutely rammed with people all expecting good news about gaining league entry, and we were stunned when it went against us, and when we found out that clubs like Hearts, Hibs, and Berwick all voted against the Dean, it was even more gutting. 

Roll on a few years though, and I think the decision to let Ross Cty and ICT into the league was justified by what they've went on to achieve, I mean can you imagine Gala Fairydean playing in the top flight of Scottish football, and also winning silverware along the way? I reckon we'd have been the whipping boys for a few years. 

That is good news mate, fingers crossed for you all at Selkirk. 

John I was in the club that day,  hearing we were outvoted was a sickner. And you are spot on, Hearts and Hibs  went against us, and we were promised there vote. Berwick chose to vote against us, and chose to travel 4 times a year to the highlands!

Gordon Rae was our manager then, a great guy for being a hibby, and I hope he helps Selkirk get out there troubles.

The Old Tolbooth
7 hours ago, ycj said:

John I was in the club that day,  hearing we were outvoted was a sickner. And you are spot on, Hearts and Hibs  went against us, and we were promised there vote. Berwick chose to vote against us, and chose to travel 4 times a year to the highlands!

Gordon Rae was our manager then, a great guy for being a hibby, and I hope he helps Selkirk get out there troubles.

Aye Gordon was some lad, sadly I can't see the Dean ever getting into the league now, you never know though. 

52 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

Aye Gordon was some lad, sadly I can't see the Dean ever getting into the league now, you never know though. 

Used to live beside Gordon when kids. He was a Hearts sipporter then. His dad won the junior cup with Dunbar Utd as well. 

Benny Factor
23 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Was it him that came on in the 10-0 game.

Started the next game, but got released at the season end.

McKirdy never really got a look in after being hung out to dry up in Inverness, iirc.

The Old Tolbooth
34 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Used to live beside Gordon when kids. He was a Hearts sipporter then. His dad won the junior cup with Dunbar Utd as well. 

Every day is a school day! :D 

...a bit disco

Selkirk Football Club have today informed the Lowland League Board that they are unable to fulfil this weekend’s arranged league fixture with Kelty Hearts at New Central Park. In line with current league regulations, the matter will now be referred to a Disciplinary Panel.

No further statements will be issued until this process has been completed.

http://slfl.co.uk/further-lowland-league-board-statement-selkirk-football-club/

letsalldothebeattie

Not that I would want this to happen to anyone but think the best course of action would be to just pull them out the league now. Would be the fairest thing for all involved and can give Selkirk the time to try and regroup and rebuild for next season in the East Of Scotland

On 03/08/2018 at 14:24, Baird, King and Michael said:

Used to watch gala fairydean a lot in the 80s as I was too young to go to hearts games myself and my dad's arthritis meant he couldn't take me. Even when I was allowed onto the borders hearts bus I still went to netherdale when not at tynie.

1 of the issues I found for young footballers in gala was the school never bothered with a football team, it was run by the 6th years I think. They obviously wanted people to play rugby instead. In fact, I think I played cricket more than football at PE.

It's good to see gala getting their house in order though, I was initially sceptical about fairydean and gala rovers merging but it has obviously had the desired effect and should only further develop the team in The future.

Not that I would want this to happen to anyone but think the best course of action would be to just pull them out the league now. Would be the fairest thing for all involved and can give Selkirk the time to try and regroup and rebuild for next season in the East Of Scotland

Agreed but the question will be where they fit in. Are they relegated or re-admitted to the league. It makes a difference because next season the East of Scotland will have more than one division. The teams in the three EoS Conferences are playing for places in what will be Level 6 in the pyramid and will mostly comprise top ex Superleague junior teams and will be close in standard to the Lowland league. Any team looking to regroup and rebuild would be far better off looking to establish themselves at the lower level.

letsalldothebeattie
29 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Agreed but the question will be where they fit in. Are they relegated or re-admitted to the league. It makes a difference because next season the East of Scotland will have more than one division. The teams in the three EoS Conferences are playing for places in what will be Level 6 in the pyramid and will mostly comprise top ex Superleague junior teams and will be close in standard to the Lowland league. Any team looking to regroup and rebuild would be far better off looking to establish themselves at the lower level.

Relegate then to whatever is going to be below the East Of Scotland Premier Division that is being brought in from next season as that will be fair they will be at the lowest level for the East sides. 

17 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/fears-that-selkirk-s-time-in-the-lowland-league-may-be-up-1-4783719

Update on Selkirk. They seem unable to recruit players and have debt running into six figures. 

As mentioned by posters above I can't see past them having to withdraw from the league. 

How did a club like Selkirk manage to amass a debt like that?

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How did a club like Selkirk manage to amass a debt like that?

Signing the likes of Gary O'Connor won't have helped.