Noren - 28/1

Leishman - 50/1

Southgate - 100/1

Frittelli - 150/1

FRL

van Rooyen - 125/1

Southgate - 80/1

Maroon Sailor

Bookies are a bit conservative with their odds.

The only decent thing when Woods was dominating was that you got decent odds for some top class players.

Can't see where the 33/1 and above potential winner is coming from with the weather forecast not being a factor as in favouring one side of the draw.

A fair hazard if you're away from the face.    Get under the face of some of those and you can be in severe soapy.    

Harry Potter
15 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I spotted an electronic roadsign on the M9 referring to it as the British Open.

The person responsible should be sacked. 

Ignorant toerag.

Hope to go on Thursday. If I get a train  outwith the busy commuter hours can I use my Saltire card and get the train for £4 return ? 

That would be most :pleasing:

The Scottish open was last week.  anyway some tasty holes on this course , the 18th deemed the hardest , a par 4 but a yard off 500 yards.

Out of bounds left and water on the left and right, a good drive and 6 iron should get you there, 17th an overhit drive can land in water so a drive of between

210 and 240 yds, with about a 4 iron to the green.

Edited by Harry Potter

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not according to the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2653704

They have it down as a gentle breeze from the west or south west

XC Weather and weather.com disagree.

BBC only ever give you wind speed not gust speed, unless it's 40mph+

Screenshot_20180717-090616_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by hmfc_liam06

There would always be a lot of laying up at any Open but these fairways will make that very difficult in itself.     The amount of bounce and run will absolutely result in many well intentioned lay-ups ending up in bunkers anyway,   as well as going off the fairways.      It's going to be very important to find fairways (or just off) for the approaches.     Lots of the greens demand accuracy or the recovery chips can be quite high tariff.     We may see some extreme lay up play similar to Tiger Woods at St.Andrews in 2000 when he played the entire 72 holes without going into a bunker.    An incredible feat.

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There would always be a lot of laying up at any Open but these fairways will make that very difficult in itself.     The amount of bounce and run will absolutely result in many well intentioned lay-ups ending up in bunkers anyway,   as well as going off the fairways.      It's going to be very important to find fairways (or just off) for the approaches.     Lots of the greens demand accuracy or the recovery chips can be quite high tariff.     We may see some extreme lay up play similar to Tiger Woods at St.Andrews in 2000 when he played the entire 72 holes without going into a bunker.    An incredible feat.

Nobody better at course management than Tiger imo

Maroon Sailor
56 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

XC Weather and weather.com disagree.

BBC only ever give you wind speed not gust speed, unless it's 40mph+

Screenshot_20180717-090616_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm happy with that - I want to see Carnoustie being Carnastie this week.

It's been 11 years since it was held there so they've had a bit of a break from the place as far as The Open is concerned.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

For the eventual winner it will come down to who plays the last four holes best on Sunday. 

The ball will run a mile so course management will be paramount. Quite a few irons off the tee I suspect.

I fancy Rose, but his putting concerns me a bit. 

I was at Gullane on Thursday. Got money back on Pepperrell (£190) so will lump all that on The Open this week.

Going with my heart for Rose and Fowler. I don't like betting with my heart as it never seems to work out but hopefully this time.

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nobody better at course management than Tiger imo

It's Tiger management that Tiger needs to get right.     When he's swinging sweetly and within himself he's a threat.   When he starts to push the envelope he gets very quick and steep.    Forget him.

Samuel Camazzola

The fortune of the draw will play a big part. Guys will post 64/65 if the gusts don't pick up but players who shoot 69 later in the day will no doubt have played just as well if not better and will be delighted with their round. 

lauriesrank
16 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I don't know about Matsuyama being a cert as Aphibarnrat has often looked handy and seems to adjust to the Links game quite well. Li Haotong is another who's impressed and seems to be getting better each season. 

I back haotong in every major and.... aphibarnrat! lol  So have to go for top asian as one of those two, as an aside, the Goose has came through qualifying and might be worth a place!!

I'll study the form tomorrow.... I mean blindly back 5 golfers @150s or better just for an extra interest as I freaking love the open!!

Sandy Lyle making his final Open appearance unless he does a Tom Watson.    Nobody can take away his two majors which were magnificent achievements however the talent of Sandy Lyle was seen way too infrequently in the majors.    His majors record is actually quite dismal for a player of his talent.     He completely lost his game for a while and made a short recovery,   but has done next to nothing in his Masters and Open appearances in the past 20 years.      

Only 4 top10 major finishes (inc his 2 wins) in 95 attempts since 1974.    A 1 in 2 record for cuts made.      He was a much better player than that.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sandy Lyle making his final Open appearance unless he does a Tom Watson.    Nobody can take away his two majors which were magnificent achievements however the talent of Sandy Lyle was seen way too infrequently in the majors.    His majors record is actually quite dismal for a player of his talent.     He completely lost his game for a while and made a short recovery,   but has done next to nothing in his Masters and Open appearances in the past 20 years.      

Only 4 top10 major finishes (inc his 2 wins) in 95 attempts since 1974.    A 1 in 2 record for cuts made.      He was a much better player than that.

Should never have played another Open after walking off after 10 holes at Birkdale 10 years ago.

Someone would have bit his hand off if he offered his place to them before it got underway.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Should never have played another Open after walking off after 10 holes at Birkdale 10 years ago.

Someone would have bit his hand off if he offered his place to them before it got underway.

Yes that was poor.   I think that ended any chance of him being considered as a Ryder Cup captain.     

BobBobbington

Was at the practice day yesterday, love the course. The fairways might be burnt out but the greens are immaculate! 

The rough is nowhere near as bad as what I would have expected it to be, or as it might have been in previous Opens at Carnoustie.  So I think there will be some low scores made. I'm going to guess that the winning score might be around -12 this week.

Cruyff Turn

A lot of the big hitters, Brooks Koepka in particular, saying on SSN, that they are going to try and just drive it as far as they can like they do on US courses, and take out the bunkers on the fairway, the closer to the green the better.

Tiger Woods on the other hand was saying that he probably won't even use his driver much because one misplaced drive and you could be dropping shots quite easily.

I just hope that the course doesn't get annihilated like some glorified pitch and putt with winning scores of 20 and 30 under. It's always nice to see them toiling at even par or leaders at over par, makes things a bit more interesting.

14 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

A lot of the big hitters, Brooks Koepka in particular, saying on SSN, that they are going to try and just drive it as far as they can like they do on US courses, and take out the bunkers on the fairway, the closer to the green the better.

Tiger Woods on the other hand was saying that he probably won't even use his driver much because one misplaced drive and you could be dropping shots quite easily.

I just hope that the course doesn't get annihilated like some glorified pitch and putt with winning scores of 20 and 30 under. It's always nice to see them toiling at even par or leaders at over par, makes things a bit more interesting.

Koepka says he'll try to hit beyond certain bunkers on 8 or 9 holes,  depending on the wind direction,  etc.   Maybe more.      It will be a fascinating battle of strategy.      It's entirely possible that the banzai strategy could pay off but by no means without risk.       It sounds like he knows his own game is not ideally suited to hitting lots of longer,   shot making approaches.     He'll try to play to his strengths.

There's no chance of a -20 total.    The course has plenty of protection against such a score.

Edited by Victorian

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, BobBobbington said:

Was at the practice day yesterday, love the course. 

The rough is nowhere near as bad as what I would have expected it to be, or as it might have been in previous Opens at Carnoustie. 

Are they making the course even easier for them for the television viewers?

18 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Was sitting on the edge of the 460 yard 18th green at the Scottish Open and Fowler landed his tee shot just in front of the green :omg:

Cruyff Turn
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Koepka says he'll try to hit beyond certain bunkers on 8 or 9 holes,  depending on the wind direction,  etc.   Maybe more.      It will be a fascinating battle of strategy.      It's entirely possible that the banzai strategy could pay off but by no means without risk.       It sounds like he knows his own game is not ideally suited to hitting lots of longer,   shot making approaches.     He'll try to play to his strengths.

There's no chance of a -20 total.    The course has plenty of protection against such a score.

I know jackshit about golf Tbh and I'm also terrible at it, but I like it. 

Sometimes it seems to me that some of the Americans seem to think that hitting the ball the furthest will win the day because that's pretty much what American courses are, long. 

I always thought that open courses, especially Carnoustie were about sorting the great players from the big hitters, solid tee shots,  approach and recovery being more crucial than Courses elsewhere because the fairways have so many traps.

One of the first Opens i watched was the 97 one at Carnoustie when Lawrie won it 6+.

I hope it's brutal for them and the winds get up and the highest the winner gets is 10- or so. 

Just watched this as well. The groundsman saying that they'll be able to score in the first 6, consolidate the middle 6 and the last 6 holes will be brutal.

Cruyff Turn
16 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Are they making the course even easier for them for the television viewers?

Was sitting on the edge of the 460 yard 18th green at the Scottish Open and Fowler landed his tee shot just in front of the green :omg:

Hope the conditions change and the wind gets up otherwise that might be the case this week this week. It's awfully calm at the moment, probably 6-10mph at the most on the coast, im about 40mile away mind you. 

BobBobbington

Don't think they are doing anything on purpose in terms of making it easier. They just aren't going to do what the USGA do at the US Open, put it on the verge of unplayable and when the weather changes, as it tends to do, it goes over that edge. Let the course(and the weather) decide how hard it is, it seems to me it's plenty challenging as it is. There will be some really good scores, but there will be plenty of disasters and opportunities to have those disasters at lots of the holes. So I think it will be a really entertaining championship.

I think they probably would have liked the rough to be a little more of a factor without it being as penal as it was in 99. But with how dry it's been the last two months, it's a lot more sparse in that long whispy stuff so they will be able to advance the ball and get it towards the greens, but they won't have much control in terms of being able to stop it. Plenty of 'fliers'. 

Backing straight singles with Betfair:

A Noren

33/1

T Hatton

49/1

S Garcia

34/1

P Mickelson

74/1

Free £5 bet on Henrik Stenson @ 30/1 with Sky Bet

hmfc_liam06

Just back from the course. Walked around for a bit with Spieth/Thomas then caught DJ at the 15th.

Despite little wind forecast it was still fairly strong coming in off the sea, certainly makes the 18th tee shot interesting.

Everyone I watched tee off at the first went iron. Going to be some interesting course management throughout the week.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I'll be surprised if it's not -10 or better for the winning score

I’ll go with -7 .

Samuel Camazzola

And we're off! 

Not a breath of wind for now so it's going to be interesting what score the early starters can post before the breezes pick up and the greens get slicker. 

Nice to see Sandy start solidly. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

And we're off! 

Not a breath of wind for now so it's going to be interesting what score the early starters can post before the breezes pick up and the greens get slicker. 

Nice to see Sandy start solidly. 

Still no real scoring...the birdie fest hasn't materialised for the early players, yet.

Samuel Camazzola
56 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Still no real scoring...the birdie fest hasn't materialised for the early players, yet.

-4 for Van Rooyen

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

-4 for Van Rooyen

Yeah picked up a bit now.

Southgate looking good. Watched him for a few holes yesterday, was going close every time.

Sexton Hardcastle
On 16/07/2018 at 21:40, Jeff said:

that's my picks in and finalised.

Grace - 40/1

Noren - 28/1

Leishman - 50/1

Southgate - 100/1

Frittelli - 150/1

FRL

van Rooyen - 125/1

Southgate - 80/1

Solid start 

You were getting 200/1 on Brandon Stone after his Gullane win and 60.   I thought about a small bet but didn't.    Just got on at 80/1 after his great start.    You never know.