red card overturned during game

crazy_jambo_2006

crazy_jambo_2006

Ref had sent Russian boy off for 2nd booking y'day. Then immediately changed his mind +kept the boy on. Credit to ref for admitting error + keeping boy on. Has this happened before? I've never seen ref change his mind+ scrap red card he had just shown.

Commentators suggested it was either due to the fact the linesman noticed it wasn't a foul or that the ball had crossed the line. They judged that as a goal kick had been given the ball was ruled out of play and therefore no foul, no yellow, no red.

Not seen it happen before. Ironically the right decision was reached due to a wrong decision from the linesman as the ball was not out of play.

Kolodin didn't deserve the first yellow in the first place.

The 2nd would have been equally as harsh IMO.

Only a Game

Thought it was brilliant refereeing myself. Although the bookings were a bit harsh right enough.

I found myself wondering what the reaction would be if Dougie McDonald, for example, sent off Stephen McManus in a Hearts v Celtic game, then changed his mind ?

Thig Ar Latha
Thought it was brilliant refereeing myself. Although the bookings were a bit harsh right enough.

I found myself wondering what the reaction would be if Dougie McDonald, for example, sent off Stephen McManus in a Hearts v Celtic game, then changed his mind ?

Lets be honest here, its not going to happen. :rolleyes:

You'd probably give Hugh Keevins a hi-5 and burst into another rendition of YNWA or something.

Generic Username

Top european refs have the testicular fortitude to overturn a red card and make these big decisions in big games.

Scottish referee's send off players for kicking goal posts (what a fantastic day that was...).

The two yellow rule is like so many others they've introduced .............it just does not address the root problems of serial hatchet men and serial cheaters. It was probably a good idea but so seldom do you see the 'right' guys getting sent off for the 'right' reasons ?

All too often you get players binned for maybe one iffy challenge topped off with a wee bit of dissent later on :sad:

Anyway, fair play to the ref for knowing his rules. Had that happened in the SPL there would not have been the same outcome I'm sure ..........the LM and REF, to protect themselves in the 1st instance, would have colluded, resulting in the ref overruling the ball out of play decision and going with the initial red card.......

unless of course they invoke rules 1690 or 1888 were the game being played at Ibrox or Darkheid :rolleyes:

Paranoid...............me ?:P

If the incident had been violet conduct i.e. a punch the refereee could not have changed his mind whether the ball was out of play or not.

But I wish referees in Scotland showed common sense like this one.

JAMBOn_et_fromage
If the incident had been violet conduct

Is that when he's going through a purple patch? ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

Great piece of refereeing. Unless you have to watch and listen on ESPN. Irish commentator Tommy Smythe was calling the ref everything for blowing his whistle to soon and looking to be the story. Was pretty obvious that the linesman called it out and therefore the play was dead. Not forgetting that the Scottish Russian Kolodin never even touched the Dutch guy to start with.

Bindy Badgy

Lee Wallace had a booking away to Aberdeen overturned for a similar reason last season.

I thought it was great refereeing, by the assistant. The initial decision was very harsh. I reckon the assistant knew the ball had not gone out but had changed the referees mind by having a wee word with him, and the goal kick was to cover up the refs original error.

On the subject of refs - i thought the ref for italy spain match was terrible. He just couldn't let the game flow and missed a couple of quite big decisions. Another thing that annoyed me was the attitude and reaction of the Italian defence every time a spanish lad went down, when it was them (specifically Toni and Di Natale) that was play acting

The Real Maroonblood
You'd probably give Hugh Keevins a hi-5 and burst into another rendition of YNWA or something.

Or in Celtic's case YMCA.

In an OF game in the early 70s at Ibrox Dixie Deans (I think) got thru on goal and was about to score (or maybe he did , I can't recall after all this time) when he was brutally challenged by John Greig which resulted in the Sellick player being stretchered off with a broken leg.

I just remembered , it was Bobby Lennox who was assaulted by Greig.

No action was taken against Greig as Lennox was offside when the move started.I've never seen anything like it since. Not even in Scotland.

I thought it was great refereeing, by the assistant. The initial decision was very harsh. I reckon the assistant knew the ball had not gone out but had changed the referees mind by having a wee word with him, and the goal kick was to cover up the refs original error.

On the subject of refs - i thought the ref for italy spain match was terrible. He just couldn't let the game flow and missed a couple of quite big decisions. Another thing that annoyed me was the attitude and reaction of the Italian defence every time a spanish lad went down, when it was them (specifically Toni and Di Natale) that was play acting

Quite embarrassing when these 'tackles' are replayed on the big screens and the Italian lad (in most cases ) gets caught by no more than a gust of wind yet goes flying through the air with a grimace of unbelievable agony etched on his face :sad:

Oh aye..............and what about Di Natale rolling BACK onto the pitch..........unbelievable !!

Archived