The Upsetter: The Life And Music Of Lee Scratch Perry - documentary

ArmiyaRomanova

ArmiyaRomanova

Just back from seeing this documentary at the EIFF, and I'm quietly raging.

It's presented as a chronology, but although his early years in Jamaica are dealt with (almost) adequately up until the torching of Black Ark, there's way too much cutting away to Perry messing around in the snow in present-day Switzerland (archive footage rights expense perhaps?).

From 1980 onwards though, according to the documentary makers, Perry fell into deep depression and drug addicted inactivity until rescued from obscurity in 2000 by his appearance on a Beastie Boys album track, leading to him doing a Guiness ad in the USA and planning a 2007/2008 'comeback' world tour.

I've more than 20 albums recorded by him during this allegedly 'inactive' period, and saw him several times on various tours in the 1990s.

Any Perry fans on here, I'd advise you to stay well away - this is very shoddy work and blatant revisionism of the lowest order.

Frankly, there's better archive footage of him both performing and ranting away up on YouTube.

Nephilim Scotty

Not seen it but I love a wee bit of Dub, I saw Lee Scratch Perry a couple of years ago.

Archived