Senile old Motty

Samster

They really need to pension this old fool off.

Spanish break and he just called Senna Silva, then when Senna passed the ball he called Villa Silva. :wacko:

Also earlier on the camera panned the crowd and Arsene Wenger was sitting there with Zidane and Motty says 'there's Arsene Wenger in the crowd' without a passing mention of ZZ. Now I ask you, who is more famous in the world game ZZ or AW?!

He's a sorry old duffer!!

Patrick Bateman

What on earth was that feature on The Third Man all about? Not only is Jake Humphreys an offensively bad presenter, the thing wasn't relevent to football in any way. Rubbish.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
What on earth was that feature on The Third Man all about? Not only is Jake Humphreys an offensively bad presenter, the thing wasn't relevent to football in any way. Rubbish.

Rather watch The Third Man than this pish.

Italian football at its worst.

$ilvery_Moon
Rather watch The Third Man than this pish.

Italian football at its worst.

^^^ What he said. Absolutely dire match.

Agreed.

I usually find it difficult to get offended by commentators, but Motty was getting right on my tits today. His pronunciation of "Di Natale" (Natalie, what the ****?) and Capdevila (Capdevilya, where's the y coming from?) were really grating.

Pronouncing "Villa" in the British way at least made sense, but the Capdevila one was really annoying me.

Commander Harris
Agreed.

I usually find it difficult to get offended by commentators, but Motty was getting right on my tits today. His pronunciation of "Di Natale" (Natalie, what the ****?) and Capdevila (Capdevilya, where's the y coming from?) were really grating.

Pronouncing "Villa" in the British way at least made sense, but the Capdevila one was really annoying me.

the one that annoyed me was actually the Villa thing, him saying Villa like the Villa in "Aston Villa", especially as he actually got it right occassionally :confused:

the one that annoyed me was actually the Villa thing, him saying Villa like the Villa in "Aston Villa", especially as he actually got it right occassionally :confused:

Yeah, what I meant was that it was still annoying but at least you could see why he was doing it. I think with Villa he actually managed the English pronunciation, "Veeya" and "Veelya" at separate stages in the game.

colinmaroon

He was truly dire!!!

Awful!!!

Mind you, so were the commentators on the Holland v Russia game last night!!!

And what about that ref!!!???

Also, apparently Albertini was making a come back this evening. Quite an effort for a guy who retired 2 and 1/2 years ago !

He was truly dire!!!

Awful!!!

Mind you, so were the commentators on the Holland v Russia game last night!!!

And what about that ref!!!???

To be fair, although at times he was looking as though he was acting out a scene from a Shakesperean tragedy he made unbiased decisions, I would love a ref like that in our league.

Pension off the senile old ****.

Take him out back and shoot him, it's the humane thing to do.

What irritated me was his comments about Fabregas.

After he came on he had 'enlivened' Spain, although I didn't notice that.

It was an 'Arsenal player' who was about to take Spain through, not a Spaniard!

Would he have mentioned the club if the guy played elsewhere?

Still, even he is better than Tyldsley!

I hate watching games when Motson and the equally awful Lawrenson are on.

Last night I finally worked out the red button - get Five Live commentary on the game thing. And the bonus was that the abysmal Alan Green wasn't even on!

Last night I finally worked out the red button - get Five Live commentary on the game thing. And the bonus was that the abysmal Alan Green wasn't even on!

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Far too opinionated instead of just commentating on the game.

Cupar Jambo

Glad to say Ive been listening to the five live commentry for all the BBC games. Graeme Taylor may not be everyones cup of tea but he comments on the game, not like that smug git Lawrenson. BBC have lost the right to show most sports hopefully football will be next

Not to mention not being able to make up his mind if it was key-elini or chee-elini that was playing.

Chad Sexington

Motson is a walloper.

The way his voice gets shriller as the ball gets closer to the goal is truly chilling.

It brings back terrifying childhood memories of Davros from Dr Who.

401px-Davros.jpg

Well do you say Paris or Paree? The point of having a commentator is to describe, and you knew who he meant. Why the fuss? Motty is a living legend and better than any Scottish commentator (Yes that includes Montford, who was also brilliant). Motson is a living legend

Chad Sexington
Well do you say Paris or Paree? The point of having a commentator is to describe, and you knew who he meant. Why the fuss? Motty is a living legend and better than any Scottish commentator (Yes that includes Montford, who was also brilliant). Motson is a living legend

Are you so forgetful that you couldn't remember saying that in the same post?

Is that you Motty??

Are you so forgetful that you couldn't remember saying that in the same post?

Is that you Motty??

Ha ha no sadly it is not.

But I like to think of Motty as a close friend. It pains me that Scottish football fans have such a problem with English commentators, pundits and the general media.

Yet I hear so many Scottish people complain about it that they become the problem, and I get more fed up with hearing about supposed English bias than any actual bias in the first place!

Ha ha no sadly it is not.

But I like to think of Motty as a close friend. It pains me that Scottish football fans have such a problem with English commentators, pundits and the general media.

Yet I hear so many Scottish people complain about it that they become the problem, and I get more fed up with hearing about supposed English bias than any actual bias in the first place!

I don't have a problem with Motson because he's English.

I have a problem with him because he comes across like a complete penis.

Commander Harris

Towns and Cities have their own pronunciations in the English language for many historical reasons, they are standardised and well known and in general use. It is not the same when it is a person's name. You can't just change the pronunciation of someone's name. It's a question of accuracy although like I said it wouldn't have bothered me quite as much if he had been consistent with it, he used at least 3 different pronunciations for the same player!

I don't know why you are bringing up Scottish commentators, no one on this thread is defending anyone else, scottish or otherwise, they are just saying Motson is pants - and I agree. He doesn't describe the action well, he gets confused and calls players by the wrong name, he is incosistant with pronunciations which can leave you wondering who he is actually referring to and his knowledge of what is going on in contemporary football is not what it used to be.

EDIT: just read your most recent comments - I for one have not brought up the question of English bias at all, my views on motson are simply down to his ability to do the job.

Towns and Cities have their own pronunciations in the English language for many historical reasons, they are standardised and well known and in general use. It is not the same when it is a person's name. You can't just change the pronunciation of someone's name. It's a question of accuracy although like I said it wouldn't have bothered me quite as much if he had been consistent with it, he used at least 3 different pronunciations for the same player!

I don't know why you are bringing up Scottish commentators, no one on this thread is defending anyone else, scottish or otherwise, they are just saying Motson is pants - and I agree. He doesn't describe the action well, he gets confused and calls players by the wrong name, he is incosistant with pronunciations which can leave you wondering who he is actually referring to and his knowledge of what is going on in contemporary football is not what it used to be.

I only brought up Scottish commentators because I tend to hear a lot of criticism aimed at Motty et al, and not too much about Archie McPherson, Chick Young and others who are simply an embarassment.

As for name pronunciations, i'm not sure you are correct. I understand the town name situation possibly being slightly different, but for example a Spaniard would not pronounce the 'J' in Jose Mourinho, but would call him Hosay.....likewise, when Steve McManaman was at Real Madrid the Spanish called him Maha rather than Macca as there is no equivalent to the English version in Spanish.

Therefore, I cant see any problem with calling him David Villa.....although granted, it would be a lot better if Motty stuck with one pronunciation!

Commander Harris
I only brought up Scottish commentators because I tend to hear a lot of criticism aimed at Motty et al, and not too much about Archie McPherson, Chick Young and others who are simply an embarassment.

As for name pronunciations, i'm not sure you are correct. I understand the town name situation possibly being slightly different, but for example a Spaniard would not pronounce the 'J' in Jose Mourinho, but would call him Hosay.....likewise, when Steve McManaman was at Real Madrid the Spanish called him Maha rather than Macca as there is no equivalent to the English version in Spanish.

Therefore, I cant see any problem with calling him David Villa.....although granted, it would be a lot better if Motty stuck with one pronunciation!

Archie is awful, chick young isn't a commentator but he shouldn't be on the tv anyway - terrible "journalist". there you go :) (although both, especially chick, get plenty of criticism on here - he's even called chick dung by most people who mention him; A JKB search for "chick dung" exhausts the search limit of 50 posts)

of course there are some names that native English speakers can't pronounce or can only pronounce with great difficulty, then an alternative would make sense. We have a "y" sound in English therefore Villa isn't a difficult name to pronounce.

There are some names that use sounds that are not native to the English language, is such cases a good approximation seems legitimate enough.

Hearts Heritage

They no longer just 'commentate' they now 'opinionate' . This may be senility on my part but I'm sure the likes David Coleman used to say a lot less. They knew you could see on the screen what they could see; so why make an unecessary and unwelcome comments.

DC always seemed to have a sixth sense of a goal being scored so it would be 'Muller 1-0' before the ball was in the net.

We live in an age where all soprts of people must have their opinion heard be it on the TV, Phone Ins, Message Boards and Blogs.

It is a case of a lot more being far far less.

Chad Sexington

You have to be kidding right?

These two muppets take far more stick on here than Motty ever gets.

FWIW, I find English commentators far more professional than their Scottish counterparts. They seem to describe the action in a more vivid style and usually have a nicer turn of phrase.

Unfortunately, Motty lets the side down badly. I find his stat driven commentary painful to listen to and he is so parochial it's untrue.

"and not too much about Archie McPherson, Chick Young and others who are simply an embarassment."

I must have missed the Euro games where they have been commentating....

Do The Dance

To be fair, the only commentator I actually like is Martin Tyler.

It was filmed in Vienna where the game was played. BBC obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel as they had little football highlights to show.

Further to what has been said above, I'd go as far as to argue that Motson is now so bad he is making McPherson seem good.

Well, at least old Erchie makes me laugh. Motson just irritates the hell out of me.

Motty is an embarrassment - his identification of players during the game is shocking - he identified Puyol as heading the ball away when it was Senna, then Puyol clearing the ball when it was Ramos.

His ignorance for anything outside English football is evident in his commentary - and the BBC as a whole with the exception of MON.

These Championships have probably been one of the best I have seen - the sooner SKY get major Championships the better IMO (as long as they don’t increase the cost of the subscription!)

Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish viewers pay a licence fee to fund the B.B.C., and purchase the goods advertised on ITV, yet English sports presenters tend to ignore them, or refer to them in the third person. I, for one, am not made to feel part of the target audience, even although I contribute, in a small way, to their earnings.

Motty is one of the worst in this respect.

Archived